hibs.net Messageboard

Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 14222324
    @hibs.net private member givescotlandfreedom's Avatar
    I don't really dislike him either. Did a decent job with us and has been respectful since. Levein's face when Celtc scored was a joy to behold.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member silverhibee's Avatar
    For someone who was very outspoken in his time at Hibs he is very quiet regards the pish that was sung by the Celtc support last night and also the missiles thrown at the yams goalkeeper in the 2nd half.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Jimmy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I wouldn't. wouldn't touch it with a barge pole.

I'm ambitious, I'd rather manager a midtable English club that will never win anything or play in Europe.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
    LoL. At least you'd get to play the likes of Liverpool and City quite often.. More exciting than Hamilton Accies on a wet Wednesday, I think.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    LoL. At least you'd get to play the likes of Liverpool and City quite often.. More exciting than Hamilton Accies on a wet Wednesday, I think.
    Scotland has approx ten percent of the population of the Uk. If sky put ten percent of the TV money into our game it would be a win/win but they will not do that coz they don’t care about our game. That’s why I no longer subscribe.

@hibs.net private member .Sean.'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by G B Young View Post
    Feel free to merge with the other Lennon threads, but personally I was delighted to see him emerge with a win last night at a ground where he's probably suffered more abuse than any other. That must have been sweet.

I haven't really commented since his appointment as Celtic boss but I wish him well (except for this Saturday!) and bear him no ill will in the slightest. I thought he was tremendous for Hibs with the exception of his final couple of months. I He was an inspirational appointment (one which I would never have believed we could have made at the time). He maintained the upward trajectory and brought in a bit of swagger to the way the club was perceived.

It's a shame it ended the way it did, but as we've seen from subsequent results he's left us with a squad which doesn't require a major overhaul and one which Heckingbottom can hopefully improve with two or three shrewd signings.

Ultimately, Lennon is a 'Celtic man' but he changed my views on him during his time at Hibs and whatever others think I enjoyed his time as manager. As a Hibs fan who is getting a little longer in the tooth, I've seen some really depressing dross at ER down the years and I find it hard to understand anyone who says they didn't think Lennon did a good job for us. All the best to him.
    Would you be wishing him all the best if he’d downed tools and shafted us and been appointed manager of the Huns? Another example of people having the time of day for Celtic. I HATE that shower every bit as much as I do Rangers, infact I probably despise the IRA loving ****bags even more.

Hated him as a player with them and I hated him even more when he was a manager of them first time round. Petulant, all me me me, always someone else’s fault and he’ll be back doing the same again. Yesterday’s man

**** Celtic and **** Neil Lennon.
    ''It's always been just part of the culture. Growing up, for most working-class kids, is all about football, music or clothes. You might not have much money, but whatever you have got, you're going to look good.'' - Paul Weller

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by .Sean. View Post
    Would you be wishing him all the best if he’d downed tools and shafted us and been appointed manager of the Huns? Another example of people having the time of day for Celtic. I HATE that shower every bit as much as I do Rangers, infact I probably despise the IRA loving ****bags even more.

Hated him as a player with them and I hated him even more when he was a manager of them first time round. Petulant, all me me me, always someone else’s fault and he’ll be back doing the same again. Yesterday’s man

**** Celtic and **** Neil Lennon.
    Well, given that such a scenario would never come to pass it's hard to answer your question. However, put it this way, I still respected McLeish for the great job he did at Hibs despite him going on to take the Rangers job. I enjoyed seeing us beat his Rangers side 3-0 at Ibrox twice though!

It's really nothing to do with where Lennon has ended up. I simply think that when all's said and done he did Hibs a lot of good. I don't think he shafted us or downed tools. IMHO he's a decent bloke who has helped to bring some worthwhile issues to the fore, most notably sectarianism and mental health. Whatever brought his time at Hibs to an end was unfortunate, but we're still in a pretty decent place and fingers crossed Heckingbottom can do even better than Lennon did.

FWIW, I used to dislike Lennon as a player and as Celtic manager first time round. But then I also disliked McLeish as a player. But in hindsight that was only because they were both great players, hard as nails and born winners on the pitch - and ultimately I was glad they both brought some much-needed backbone to Hibs. Ultimately you come to realise that as players these guys were only doing their best for their team and the main reason we disliked them is because their success came at Hibs' expense. That's the tribal nature of football.

Well, given that such a scenario would never come to pass it's hard to answer your question. However, put it this way, I still respected McLeish for the great job he did at Hibs despite him going on to take the Rangers job. I enjoyed seeing us beat his Rangers side 3-0 at Ibrox twice though!

It's really nothing to do with where Lennon has ended up. I simply think that when all's said and done he did Hibs a lot of good. I don't think he shafted us or downed tools. IMHO he's a decent bloke who has helped to bring some worthwhile issues to the fore, most notably sectarianism and mental health. Whatever brought his time at Hibs to an end was unfortunate, but we're still in a pretty decent place and fingers crossed Heckingbottom can do even better than Lennon did.

FWIW, I used to dislike Lennon as a player and as Celtic manager first time round. But then I also disliked McLeish as a player. But in hindsight that was only because they were both great players, hard as nails and born winners on the pitch - and ultimately I was glad they both brought some much-needed backbone to Hibs. Ultimately you come to realise that as players these guys were only doing their best for their team and the main reason we disliked them is because their success came at Hibs' expense. That's the tribal nature of football.

Ironically McLeish did shaft Hibs, meeting with Murray and Advocat for months before he left us.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    Ironically McLeish did shaft Hibs, meeting with Murray and Advocat for months before he left us.
    Yes, Hibs had started to slide shortly before he left so he may well have taken his eye off the ball once Rangers came calling.

What I'd ask, though, is does it really matter? Are we no longer allowed to enjoy McLeish's, or Lennon's achievements at Hibs due to the manner in which they departed? Frustration and disappointment go hand in hand with being a Hibs fan (or indeed a fan of any club outwith the real giants of the game) so IMHO we should simply enjoy the high points when they come rather than bearing a grudge against managers who, by and large, did well for us.

Yes, Hibs had started to slide shortly before he left so he may well have taken his eye off the ball once Rangers came calling.

What I'd ask, though, is does it really matter? Are we no longer allowed to enjoy McLeish's, or Lennon's achievements at Hibs due to the manner in which they departed? Frustration and disappointment go hand in hand with being a Hibs fan (or indeed a fan of any club outwith the real giants of the game) so IMHO we should simply enjoy the high points when they come rather than bearing a grudge against managers who, by and large, did well for us.
    I enjoyed McLeish's tenure, ditto Lennon's - football is a business, sometimes a murky one. You can choose for yourself (no-one is stopping you) to have happy memories of both tenure's or get swallowed up in bile and conspiracy theories. I know what my choice is. #gjp

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by silverhibee View Post
    For someone who was very outspoken in his time at Hibs he is very quiet regards the pish that was sung by the Celtc support last night and also the missiles thrown at the yams goalkeeper in the 2nd half.
    My thoughts exactly, coins thrown at Hearts keeper, sectarian rubbish sung & chanted & I searched for a comment from our ex head coach, nothing, silence. Guess he doesn't want to jeopardize going from interim manager to permanent manager.��

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lago View Post
    My thoughts exactly, coins thrown at Hearts keeper, sectarian rubbish sung & chanted & I searched for a comment from our ex head coach, nothing, silence. Guess he doesn't want to jeopardize going from interim manager to permanent manager.��
    I never thought I would stick up at him but he comment on their goalie getting struck by a coin against us? Or was that the time he took a tantrum then had the flu then was back to wind up Rangers?

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by southsider View Post
    Scotland has approx ten percent of the population of the Uk. If sky put ten percent of the TV money into our game it would be a win/win but they will not do that coz they don’t care about our game. That’s why I no longer subscribe.
    Scotland's population is 8% of the UK.

The reason Sky don't pay pro rata for Scottish games is twofold;

1. They don't show very many games, but much more importantly,

2. A lot less than 8% of Sky's football audience have any interest in Scottish football.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post

2. A lot less than 8% of Sky's football audience have any interest in Scottish football.

Left by mutual consent!

But if they did put the money in the game would improve and then perhaps more would take an interest. Chicken & I egg mate.

Left by mutual consent!
    But if they did put the money in the game would improve and then perhaps more would take an interest. Chicken & I egg mate.
    Why would anyone down South care about St Johnnies v Hibs regardless of having more money? They plough money into League 1 and the Championshop and I’m not for watching Plymouth v Bury or the likes.

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar

Big fellah, you know and I know there is more interest in Scottish Football than population stats. You love it but you don’t live within two hours of the border.
    Top level Scottish football is a far better standard than Welsh and Irish football. It’s better than lower league English football. It attracts more punters than Shrewsbury, Crewe Tranmere or Northwich bloody Victoria ever will.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Iggy Pope View Post
    Big fellah, you know and I know there is more interest in Scottish Football than population stats. You love it but you don’t live within two hours of the border.
    Top level Scottish football is a far better standard than Welsh and Irish football. It’s better than lower league English football. It attracts more punters than Shrewsbury, Crewe Tranmere or Northwich bloody Victoria ever will.
    good post Iggy - it's the media that drag our game down - the product and standard is very good. Jeez with the right marketing the Scottish Championship is gearing up to be exciting.

Sky (and BT) put the money into the SPFL that it is worth.

The broadcasters, as with the papers, are only interested in two teams. The SFA, the SPFL, and before them, the SPL and the SFL are all responsible. The product is pretty poor in the main and this will reflect in the viewing figures.

The SPFL is broken.

McLeish was dubbed Ginger Judas P rick for a reason, now I don't know if Lennon is a Judas or a prick but he's certainly ginger.

I'm pretty sure that's not correct, and that the viewing figures for Scottish football are pretty good - certainly more than 8% of what you would expect for English games. You would therefore expect income from advertising etc to stand up quite well during those games.

We've become so conditioned to thinking that Scottish football is crap and that the Old Firm games are all that are worth watching that our actual fans, the lifeblood of the game have come to accept that and agree.

It's mental.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    Yes and landed us with a lot of duds he bought. Remembering saying he will stay at ER as long as we wanted him.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    McLeish was dubbed Ginger Judas P rick for a reason, now I don't know if Lennon is a Judas or a prick but he's certainly ginger.
    He went to rangers though. Big difference, apparently.

Some of our fans will be happy to give the snake a great reception unless the Celtc feeder banner appears again.

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    I'm pretty sure that's not correct, and that the viewing figures for Scottish football are pretty good - certainly more than 8% of what you would expect for English games. You would therefore expect income from advertising etc to stand up quite well during those games.

We've become so conditioned to thinking that Scottish football is crap and that the Old Firm games are all that are worth watching that our actual fans, the lifeblood of the game have come to accept that and agree.

It's mental.
    Down South in particularly rangers have massive support (even if it is second club support), there's certainly an interest there much more than 8% anyway IMO,

Quote Originally Posted by 90+2 View Post
    He went to rangers though. Big difference, apparently.

Some of our fans will be happy to give the snake a great reception unless the Celtc feeder banner appears again.
    Have you got an insult for every letter in the alphabet? 😂