hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Steve Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by lapsedhibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Why is the word sectarian in scare quotes in that headline? Bizarre.
    To avoid any suggestion that the BBC actually believe there was any sectarianism, and to attribute the accusation to one individual - Steve Clarke.

Let's be under no illusion, the BBC (a Government backed institution) is a central part of the problem. Far from calling out the bigots as they should, they actively encourage and facilitate disorder, hatred and other aspects of the "special atmosphere" (see what I did there ?) to support their self-interests.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    FWIW I don’t think the club backed Neil Lennon at all in regards to the sectarian abuse he got. The closest we got was when Dempster went on talkSPORT and tried to defend him from the coin throwing incident, even then though I think she was taken aback by the line of questioning and I’m not sure she came across at her best.

It was clearly an issue that effected Lennon but I personally felt we stood back and let it be Lennon vs almost the whole of Scottish football with a couple of exceptions. Imo the very least we should have done is release an official statement backing our manager, same applies to the abuse Stubbs got.

I don’t really know the ins and outs of this strict liability but maybe that was the reason we didn’t want to rock the boat too much?

@hibs.net private member Hibernian Verse's Avatar
    Worth reminding ourselves that UEFA charge clubs for this. However, we can't...reason being that clubs including ours voted for strict liability.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Milkinho View Post
    Worth reminding ourselves that UEFA charge clubs for this. However, we can't...reason being that clubs including ours voted for strict liability.
    Quite the opposite, actually.

Quote Originally Posted by oneone73 View Post
    Quite the opposite, actually.
    Do tell? I've always been lead to believe that.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member oldbutdim's Avatar
    Against it. Or clubs responsible for fans behaviours.

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Milkinho View Post
    Do tell? I've always been lead to believe that.

The clubs voted against strict liability.

Quote Originally Posted by we are hibs View Post
    Didn't back him up and call out the sectarian abuse as a club though eh?.
    I reckon if he thought we were hanging him out to dry on this he wouldn't have hung around as long. We will never know the whole story as usual. We are only supporters after all.

Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    The clubs voted against strict liability.
    Sorry, I meant we essentially voted for what we have now.

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    FWIW I don’t think the club backed Neil Lennon at all in regards to the sectarian abuse he got. The closest we got was when Dempster went on talkSPORT and tried to defend him from the coin throwing incident, even then though I think she was taken aback by the line of questioning and I’m not sure she came across at her best.

It was clearly an issue that effected Lennon but I personally felt we stood back and let it be Lennon vs almost the whole of Scottish football with a couple of exceptions. Imo the very least we should have done is release an official statement backing our manager, same applies to the abuse Stubbs got.

I don’t really know the ins and outs of this strict liability but maybe that was the reason we didn’t want to rock the boat too much?
    The spectre of strict liability is certainly why Rangers and Celtic say nothing.

I know a lot of people want us to "do" or "say" something - but imo it can just lead to a cycle of whataboutery.

Example -

Lets say we complain in public about the Hearts fans sectarian abuse?

Their board might agree but perhaps ask why we havent also mentioned about our fans racism in singing the Skacel song?

Neither of these board statements would actually go anywhere to resolving the issues.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by brianmc View Post
    I'm going to guess the F is for Fenian and suggest that the guilty party will number 40,000+
    I didn't realise that the F stood for Fenian.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by green day View Post
    Jim White asked her if he brought that on himself - she said no

I am slightly unclear on what you expect and why you think this societal issue (mostly WoS) is in some way a problem that the Hibs board can and should solve, especially as sectarianism and sectarian abuse isnt something that is really an issue at Hibs or with Hibs fans?

For example -

• What did the Celtic board do about the constant abuse Lennon got?
    • What did the Killie board speak out about the abuse Celtic fans gave fatso Boyd?
    • What will they do about the Clarke episode?

While you have strong opinions about this subject which are valid, laying it at Hibs board door and saying "solve it" is just silly.
    Why does it have to be all or nothing? If we can’t single handedly eradicate sectarianism we shouldn’t play any part in helping to eradicate it? Whenever we experience it, be it from opposition fans or, despite it being unlikely, our own fans we should come out and condemn it IMO.

Keeping quiet and pretending it doesn’t happen is effectively condoning it IMO. Surely Hibs’ responsibility, if they do want to eradicate it, is to highlight and condemn. Draw attention to what happens which starts debates and then up to the likes of the Scottish Government to take meaningful steps to enforce change.

Quote Originally Posted by green day View Post
    We might just have to disagree on some of this.

Clearly its unacceptable, but equally clearly it is a societal issue - predominantly west of scotland - which sadly has an outlet in some football teams.

I dont think for a minute that Hibs releasing a statement would solve anything.

I also dont believe that its Hibs role to lead a resolution on this as the problem is much more widespread than football.

Cheers

Didn't say releasing a statement would solve anything but it would be a start. Better than completely ignoring it and hoping it goes away though surely?

Quote Originally Posted by we are hibs View Post
    Everytime I hear him speak it becomes more and more evident why the hibs board didn't give him the job. Stay quiet and move along nothing to see here eh?
    They gave Lennon the job though.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Quote Originally Posted by Joe6-2 View Post
    Love how the bbc put sectarianism in coma's
    I agree with your point. You might want to check the spelling and punctuation though 😉

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    I’m just wondering why he didn’t comment on Sunday but went all out last night. I’m very happy that he’s highlighted it but I feel like Celtc always get off lightly in these situations.
    What about if we stopped saying 'what about' every time something likes this happens. If we deal with the major cancer in our society the associated diseases will disappear.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    They gave Lennon the job though.
    Colin Calderwood

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    I didn't realise that the F stood for Fenian.
    Took me a wee while to work that one out

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Quote Originally Posted by lapsedhibee View Post
    Why is the word sectarian in scare quotes in that headline? Bizarre.
    I’ve just seen the Killie penalty incident, and the keepers red card, if anything on the bbc website should be in inverted commas, it’s “referee”.

If that pen incident had been the other way about then the “referee” would’ve pointed to the spot before the rangers player had even hit the ground.

As for the red card...”officials” see rangers player has gone down. Ignore the fact that nobody has seen anything, just send someone off.

The latest episode in the tawdry story of Scottish football. The only thing to do is hit the old firm in the pocket if their fans continue to flout the laws but we know that won't happen so it's business as usual.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    You either put up or shut up. Nothing changes if we continue to do the same as we've always done, complaining on a fans site achieves nothing.

The way i see it is, the clubs need to act, but that would cost them money, so its sweep sweep sweep as usual.

We will be having the same conversations next year and the year after and so on.........

Great stuff Steve Clarke.

On the game itself, I just watched the incidents and even for Scotland that's just ridiculous. It's like Muir thinks he can cheat with total impunity. Clear as day penalty for Killie not given. Then Killie keeper sent off for literally nothing. I used to watch a lot of serie a when calciopolli was going on and even Juve would blush at some of these decisions. There are some dodgy ****ers in charge.

Quote Originally Posted by Paisley Hibby View Post
    I agree with your point. You might want to check the spelling and punctuation though 😉
    Apologies, I'm normally a stickler for these things!
    Maybe I was just angry as I was typing! Lol

Left by mutual consent!
    SFA is as corrupt as they come. The last Old Firm match the ref was speaking to the Rangers players as if they were his best mates, which they probably were. Never seen such a biased bunch in my life.

The incompetence in level of refereeing is ridiculous, you could be lucky to count more than 5 good refereeing performances watching Hibs this season.

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    You either put up or shut up. Nothing changes if we continue to do the same as we've always done, complaining on a fans site achieves nothing.

The way i see it is, the clubs need to act, but that would cost them money, so its sweep sweep sweep as usual.

We will be having the same conversations next year and the year after and so on.........
    Absolutely. As has been said, the clubs voted against strict liability, which is cowardly IMO, and only leaves platitudes. Such is the power of the Old Firm up here, the endemic problem of sectarianism, which a national embarrassment, continues to poison society. Their role in the its perpetuation is enormous.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

Has anyone suggested he brought it on himself yet?

As long as some people try to pass off calling someone a 'fenian *******' or an 'orange *******' as banter or wit the problem will persist. With free speech comes responsibility, it isn't just a right to say what you like without challenge. If someone feels the need to refer to people in the way I have just said then they should be challenged about it over and over until they either get the message or are made to look like the ridiculous creatures they are.

Sadly the whataboutery of Scottish football, and society in general, means it will never happen. The 'other side' will always be worse and that will be justification to ignore the problems staring you in the face.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia&Alba View Post
    Absolutely. As has been said, the clubs voted against strict liability, which is cowardly IMO, and only leaves platitudes. Such is the power of the Old Firm up here, the endemic problem of sectarianism, which a national embarrassment, continues to poison society. Their role in the its perpetuation is enormous.
    Unfortunately, clubs like ours know that the old firm fans shout the loudest, and have the most influence in the "corridors of power", and rather than being used to sort out a predominantly West coast issue, strict liability would see our clubs getting hammered the hardest.

Quote Originally Posted by Onion View Post
    To avoid any suggestion that the BBC actually believe there was any sectarianism, and to attribute the accusation to one individual - Steve Clarke.

Let's be under no illusion, the BBC (a Government backed institution) is a central part of the problem. Far from calling out the bigots as they should, they actively encourage and facilitate disorder, hatred and other aspects of the "special atmosphere" (see what I did there ?) to support their self-interests.

I don't see them putting ''Anti-semitism'' in quotes during the current ''news'' frenzy.

Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    Colin Calderwood
    Yes, but they employed NL later.

Never mind, it was just my early-ish morning sensitivity 😁

Quote Originally Posted by Nakedmanoncrack View Post

I don't see them putting ''Anti-semitism'' in quotes during the current ''news'' frenzy.

I can't see an apostrophed "Stephen Lawrence killed in 'racist' attack" headline.
    A small detail that tells you a lot.