hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hibs fanzines

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Was that no Jonnyboy with long black hair?

Naw!!
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

2. Log in to remove the advert

I reckon their might be a market for them nowadays, or atleast one.

Prediction League Supremo - 05/06 MB62's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MSK View Post
    Good thread, there are a couple of fanzine contributors who post regularly on here, Johnnyboy and MB62 are two names that spring to mind👍

Apologies MB62 if it wasnt you, auld brain isnt as sharp as it used to be 😆
    It was indeed myself. I was Jonnyboy's ass Ed for many years before he threw the reigns to me before I got the chance to pack it in

Quote Originally Posted by Onceinawhile View Post
    Hibs monthly and mass hibsteria eventually joined forces as mhhm did they not?
    It wasn't a joining of forces, just a re-naming (I think somebody else mentioned that too)

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    Mass Hibsteria was absolutely top notch.

I used to love it when you turned into Albion Road and there would be someone there selling a new edition on the street.
    That was my patch for many years although there was a few of who took turns when some were not available.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MB62 View Post
    It was indeed myself. I was Jonnyboy's ass Ed for many years before he threw the reigns to me before I got the chance to pack it in

It wasn't a joining of forces, just a re-naming (I think somebody else mentioned that too)

That was my patch for many years although there was a few of who took turns when some were not available.
    Any funny quotes headlines memories stories from your fanzine days?

First Team Breakthrough
    I was the co-founder of Hibs Monthly, which evolved into Mass Hibsteria, along with my old mate SideBurns.

We started it off while still at High School and initially it was really just a Hibs news bulletin (match reports etc). It was only when we became aware of the Fanzine 'scene' across the UK that it really took off and developed the wicked sense of humour it became renowned for. I still have vivid memories of putting it together with a typewriter, scissors, prit-stick, Letraset and Tippex!

When the Hibbie Hippie, Octopus (Irvine Welsh), the Raving Reporter and several other top-notch contributors came on board it started to grow and grow, and we also got a lot of help from other fanzines (AWOL, the old Meadowbank fanzine were particularly helpful) and outlets like the old Football Crazy shop up in Spittal Street.

The readers and their contributions made it what it was, and when I started playing fitba regularly on a Saturday I passed on the green and white baton to Jonnyboy and Sean Allan. Those two took it on to another level. Later esteemed editors included Graham Ewing and Nick Clater, while the Raving Reporter (MB) was always a stalwart of the editorial committee.

Looking back, if I'm being honest, I do cringe and regret one or two of the things we said and printed in the early days - I was young and Hibs and the fitba they played were often p*sh, so a lot of it was born out of frustration. However, the overriding memory I have is one of great pride, fun and mischief-making - we used to give Alex Miller and Dougie Cromb sleepless nights and we posed a lot of questions of the board and management. One of the finest issues we produced was the 1991 Skol Cup winning celebration edition, while the 'Summer Special' was always popular.

We were, I think, also the first publication to carry an advert for an upcoming book called Trainspotting.... I wonder how that did in the end?

Happy Hibbie days!

@hibs.net private member proud_and_green's Avatar
    I opened this thread in the hope that there had been a revival and one of those superb publications was being resuscitated.
    Damm!

@hibs.net private member Mantis Toboggan's Avatar
    The MHHM 2016 league cup final special was a great throwback. In Manchester you could still get Red Issue until just a couple of years ago but has sadly now stopped doing a print version as well. A yearly summer special would be brilliant.

I also remember seeing the trainspotting advert and buying the book based on that.

On another note, I remember Hearts main fanzine was Always the Bridesmaid because they had went so long without winning anything. No Cups in Gorgie we used to sing back then, especially after the 91 Cup win.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    I remember a few doctored Calvin & Hobbes cartoons (in Mass Hibsteria) with Calvin in a Hibs Strip - Hibs Kid I think it was called.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    Used to always love the front page of Mass Hysteria, always caught your attention
    Used to buy from a lad at the top of St Clair St, he had long black hair. Does he still go to the games?
    Sounds like that was my best mate by the description but unfortunately he passed away back in 2012.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Frazerbob View Post
    North East Hibernian was produced by Aberdeen students in the late 80’s, early 90’s.
    I think I may have stumbled across a copy of said publication in a box of old stuff - if I find it again I'll try and post it here. Not sure it lasted more than a few editions but then I left Aberdeen in 1989.

I was too young to really be into the fanzine scene in it's heyday but I've read back through a lot of MHHM copies in recent years and they are superb. I also enjoyed the True Faith Newcastle fanzine which has recently started producing a paper copy again after years of being online only.

I suppose everything has it's day and there comes a time to let things lie but a once or twice a year special would be a big success imo. Alternatively to drag things into the modern age maybe a podcast with a few of the contributors, editors etc would work?
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Quote Originally Posted by Col L View Post
    I was the co-founder of Hibs Monthly, which evolved into Mass Hibsteria, along with my old mate SideBurns.

We started it off while still at High School and initially it was really just a Hibs news bulletin (match reports etc). It was only when we became aware of the Fanzine 'scene' across the UK that it really took off and developed the wicked sense of humour it became renowned for. I still have vivid memories of putting it together with a typewriter, scissors, prit-stick, Letraset and Tippex!

When the Hibbie Hippie, Octopus (Irvine Welsh), the Raving Reporter and several other top-notch contributors came on board it started to grow and grow, and we also got a lot of help from other fanzines (AWOL, the old Meadowbank fanzine were particularly helpful) and outlets like the old Football Crazy shop up in Spittal Street.

The readers and their contributions made it what it was, and when I started playing fitba regularly on a Saturday I passed on the green and white baton to Jonnyboy and Sean Allan. Those two took it on to another level. Later esteemed editors included Graham Ewing and Nick Clater, while the Raving Reporter (MB) was always a stalwart of the editorial committee.

Looking back, if I'm being honest, I do cringe and regret one or two of the things we said and printed in the early days - I was young and Hibs and the fitba they played were often p*sh, so a lot of it was born out of frustration. However, the overriding memory I have is one of great pride, fun and mischief-making - we used to give Alex Miller and Dougie Cromb sleepless nights and we posed a lot of questions of the board and management. One of the finest issues we produced was the 1991 Skol Cup winning celebration edition, while the 'Summer Special' was always popular.

We were, I think, also the first publication to carry an advert for an upcoming book called Trainspotting.... I wonder how that did in the end?

Happy Hibbie days!
    Col, I found a copy from the early 90s recently and was cringing at some of the pish I was coming out with.

Though, strangely, I'm not in the least embarrassed about the nonsense I was spouting in the pub just last Saturday 😁

@hibs.net private member G15 Hibs's Avatar
    The London supporters association used to produce "Hibees Here Hibees There", I don't think that's been mentioned yet. From what I mind they managed quite a few editions.

Like most folk Hibs Monthly/Mass Hibsteria was the one I read most often. I was a teenager around the time of the fanzine boom and the subversiveness and humour really appealed to me as a kid who was discovering weird music and alternative culture and suchlike. Fanzines felt very much part of the same thing. Happy days. Things change though eh? That kind of DIY ethic doesn't exist in the same way now, although there are things like podcasts and the like with the NEW TECHNOLOGIES. Nice to reminisce though.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by G15 Hibs View Post
    The London supporters association used to produce "Hibees Here Hibees There", I don't think that's been mentioned yet. From what I mind they managed quite a few editions.
    I mentioned Hibees Here earlier. From what I remember it looked a bit more professional/polished than the likes of Hibs Monthly but the content was nowhere near as radge.

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar

Happy Hibbie days!

Great wee read it was.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

@hibs.net private member G15 Hibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    Post Skol Cup win and pre Hearts 1998 Scottish Cup win we used to have a lot of fun laughing at their lack of trophy success in recent decades.

I remember a page being dedicated to Hearts' trophy successes since (?) 1962 or whatever - basically a chart that listed in columns under Scottish Cup, League Cup and League Championship "did not win" many times over.
    In the mid-90s I wrote up a list of historical events which had taken place since Hearts last won a trophy which ended up on the cover of an edition, I think. This was pre-Google of course, so involved actual research (or thinking at least)!

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis Toboggan View Post
    The MHHM 2016 league cup final special was a great throwback. In Manchester you could still get Red Issue until just a couple of years ago but has sadly now stopped doing a print version as well. A yearly summer special would be brilliant.
    King of the Kippax is still on sale at Manchester City home matches.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Liberal Hibby View Post
    I think I may have stumbled across a copy of said publication in a box of old stuff - if I find it again I'll try and post it here. Not sure it lasted more than a few editions but then I left Aberdeen in 1989.
    The North East Hibernian was the work of Moray Tait, a good lad and Hibbie (obviously) who has worked as a production journo for many years.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DBHibs View Post
    Sounds like that was my best mate by the description but unfortunately he passed away back in 2012.
    Oh that’s so sad to hear, remember him well

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by SideBurns View Post
    Col, I found a copy from the early 90s recently and was cringing at some of the pish I was coming out with.

Though, strangely, I'm not in the least embarrassed about the nonsense I was spouting in the pub just last Saturday 😁
    We may be more mature in years mate, but it will never halt our ability to spout nonsense

First Team Breakthrough
    I should have added too that one of my favourite memories of the fanzine days was regularly getting invited/hauled into the offices of Messrs Miller and Cromb to explain ourselves and leaving them even more angry. Cromb would go through the entire fanzine with his highlighter pen and it's safe to say he didn't approve too much of his 'Davros' and 'Dennis Norden' nicknames.

True story.. when Miller took issue with being called 'Lexo' in the fanzine, Cromb called then co-editor Sean Allan at work demanding that we desist. All future references to Miller were sympathetically changed to '******** FACE' instead and Cromb never called Sean at work again after that.

@hibs.net private member oldbutdim's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Albert of Kidd View Post
    I also remember seeing the trainspotting advert and buying the book based on that.

On another note, I remember Hearts main fanzine was Always the Bridesmaid because they had went so long without winning anything. No Cups in Gorgie we used to sing back then, especially after the 91 Cup win.

Although I've never written anything for a Hibs fanzine, curiously enough I co-authored a piece in Always The Bridesmaid!

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    I should have added too that one of my favourite memories of the fanzine days was regularly getting invited/hauled into the offices of Messrs Miller and Cromb to explain ourselves and leaving them even more angry. Cromb would go through the entire fanzine with his highlighter pen and it's safe to say he didn't approve too much of his 'Davros' and 'Dennis Norden' nicknames.

True story.. when Miller took issue with being called 'Lexo' in the fanzine, Cromb called then co-editor Sean Allan at work demanding that we desist. All future references to Miller were sympathetically changed to '******** FACE' instead and Cromb never called Sean at work again after that.
    Great story

I contributed a rubbishy wee comic strip called ‘Spambo the Jambo’ on occasion. Obviously about a stereotypical, deluded Hertz fan! Wouldn’t mind another shot at improving upon it if someone revives the printed ‘zine. 😬

Prediction League Supremo - 05/06 MB62's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SideBurns View Post

I still have a copy of Every single edition ever published 😁

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    I mentioned Hibees Here earlier. From what I remember it looked a bit more professional/polished than the likes of Hibs Monthly but the content was nowhere near as radge.
    Ah yes....

http://www.hibs.net/londonhibs/hhht.htm
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

Would it be possible to get any of the old fanzines uploaded? I know most will be long gone, but even scanned pages or extracts etc, I'm sure would be interesting reading.

Testimonial Due
    The North East Hibernian was the work of Moray Tait, a good lad and Hibbie (obviously) who has worked as a production journo for many years.
    Yup remember him now. Thanks.

Left by mutual consent! majorhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    I was too young to really be into the fanzine scene in it's heyday but I've read back through a lot of MHHM copies in recent years and they are superb. I also enjoyed the True Faith Newcastle fanzine which has recently started producing a paper copy again after years of being online only.

I suppose everything has it's day and there comes a time to let things lie but a once or twice a year special would be a big success imo. Alternatively to drag things into the modern age maybe a podcast with a few of the contributors, editors etc would work?
    Sorry there Mayweather, but what the F is a podcast? & do I want it? No, big style! Dinnae even like the sound of it! What I would do, however, would be subscribe to a fanzine as excellent as mentioned. Made the weekend that, attendin & a new fanzine oot!