hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hibs fanzines

Hybrid View

Hibs fanzines

Please excuse my ignorance here, being an outsider who only starting following the Hibees from afar at the turn of the Millennium, and picking up the bug properly once more in the last few years..

But being a Manchester United fan who gets to Hibs games when I can, I was wondering what the fanzine scene was like at Easter Road before the onset of the internet. What fanzines have there been down the years, how long did they last, and do you think there's possibly room for a fanzine in future, or has that day now sadly passed?

I used to love collecting fanzines more than programmes when I was a kid and we've always been blessed at United, but I was just wondering what the history of fanzines at Hibernian is... if anyone can help shed some light on this for me please....

Quote Originally Posted by McrHibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Please excuse my ignorance here, being an outsider who only starting following the Hibees from afar at the turn of the Millennium, and picking up the bug properly once more in the last few years..

But being a Manchester United fan who gets to Hibs games when I can, I was wondering what the fanzine scene was like at Easter Road before the onset of the internet. What fanzines have there been down the years, how long did they last, and do you think there's possibly room for a fanzine in future, or has that day now sadly passed?

I used to love collecting fanzines more than programmes when I was a kid and we've always been blessed at United, but I was just wondering what the history of fanzines at Hibernian is... if anyone can help shed some light on this for me please....
    Good thread, there are a couple of fanzine contributors who post regularly on here, Johnnyboy and MB62 are two names that spring to mind👍

Apologies MB62 if it wasnt you, auld brain isnt as sharp as it used to be 😆

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    HIBS monthly and Masshibsteria spring to mind with contributions from jonnyboy Grumpy Gibby the North Stand Hibby and from Irvine Welsh and Sandy McNair in various guises

Copies available from Almondvale Programmes
    5 Albion Road Edinburgh EH7 5QJ
    almondvaleprogrammes@hotmail.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    HIBS monthly and Masshibsteria spring to mind with contributions from jonnyboy Grumpy Gibby the North Stand Hibby and from Irvine Welsh and Sandy McNair in various guises

Copies available from Almondvale Programmes
    5 Albion Road Edinburgh EH7 5QJ
    almondvaleprogrammes@hotmail.co.uk
    Hibs monthly and mass hibsteria eventually joined forces as mhhm did they not?

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    The pre internet Hibs fanzine scene was pretty good. Hibs Monthly was particularly fine. I remember Sandy Mc Nair contributed a fair bit ( Grumpy Gibby) and Irvine Welsh was the Octopus. The Proclaimer was another one I remember buying, but for me it was the Hibs Monthly. Still got loads of them.

Also used to enjoy the Absolute Game. A generic Scottish football fanzine. Very well produced.

@hibs.net private member tanfield's Avatar
    There was loads at one point, Glasgow Gossip, Hibs Monthly and The Proclaimer were steady editions and TANESH (sp) came later. There were a couple of one edition productions at the height of it all, Down The Slope and Aye Monotonous being a couple I got my hands on

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    There was also The Proclaimer, Glasgow Gossip, TANEHSH (?), Hibees Here,...

The
    Absolutely
    Non
    Essential
    Hibs
    Supporters......

Cannae remember the full acronym 🇳🇬

Edit: the final H may have been
    Handbook 🤔

First Team Regular NthCarolinaHibs's Avatar
    I used to do one when I lived in the States,for US based Hibees,and Canadian Hibees...internet took care of that ☹️..

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Used to always love the front page of Mass Hysteria, always caught your attention
    Used to buy from a lad at the top of St Clair St, he had long black hair. Does he still go to the games?

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    Used to always love the front page of Mass Hysteria, always caught your attention
    Used to buy from a lad at the top of St Clair St, he had long black hair. Does he still go to the games?
    Sounds like that was my best mate by the description but unfortunately he passed away back in 2012.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DBHibs View Post
    Sounds like that was my best mate by the description but unfortunately he passed away back in 2012.
    Oh that’s so sad to hear, remember him well

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar
    North East Hibernian was produced by Aberdeen students in the late 80’s, early 90’s.

Mass Hibsteria was absolutely top notch.

I used to love it when you turned into Albion Road and there would be someone there selling a new edition on the street.

Mass Hibsteria gave birth to that odious hideous money grabbing Jambo character “Wallet Mercenary” or was it on a banner at a Hands Off HIBS rally?
    Last edited by BILLYHIBS; 18-02-2019 at 07:56 PM.

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post

I used to love it when you turned into Albion Road and there would be someone there selling a new edition on the street.
    That was usually our very own Jonnyboy

Being an avid Programme collector the fanzine used to always give me a wee chuckle at half time away from the main stream their lampooning made up stories together with some excellent essays ripping the pish out of everyone including ourselves but especially the Hertz.

Would love to see a comeback of a fanzine. 4 every season or something.

A few fanzines seem to be making a comeback, particularly down south. Good to see.

Glasgow Gossip was always the most irreverent of them all IIRC, and the most humorous.

I’m sure it was the one that described Joe Tortolano as “being successfully marked out of the game by a divot” at one point

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar

There was a gorgeous lassie who used to sell them sometimes: long raven black hair. Anyone remember her? I always made a point of getting my copy from her
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia&Alba View Post
    There was a gorgeous lassie who used to sell them sometimes: long raven black hair. Anyone remember her? I always made a point of getting my copy from her
    Was that no Jonnyboy with long black hair?

Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    Was that no Jonnyboy with long black hair?

Naw!!

@hibs.net private member G15 Hibs's Avatar
    The London supporters association used to produce "Hibees Here Hibees There", I don't think that's been mentioned yet. From what I mind they managed quite a few editions.

Like most folk Hibs Monthly/Mass Hibsteria was the one I read most often. I was a teenager around the time of the fanzine boom and the subversiveness and humour really appealed to me as a kid who was discovering weird music and alternative culture and suchlike. Fanzines felt very much part of the same thing. Happy days. Things change though eh? That kind of DIY ethic doesn't exist in the same way now, although there are things like podcasts and the like with the NEW TECHNOLOGIES. Nice to reminisce though.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia&Alba View Post
    Sounds like moaning Minnie. Spoke to her last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Purple & Green View Post
    Sounds like moaning Minnie. Spoke to her last year.
    Why is she called moaning Minnie? It was about 2003, I think, she used to sell Mass Hibsteria. Wee stoater.

Prediction League Supremo - 05/06 MB62's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MSK View Post
    Good thread, there are a couple of fanzine contributors who post regularly on here, Johnnyboy and MB62 are two names that spring to mind👍

Apologies MB62 if it wasnt you, auld brain isnt as sharp as it used to be 😆
    It was indeed myself. I was Jonnyboy's ass Ed for many years before he threw the reigns to me before I got the chance to pack it in

Quote Originally Posted by Onceinawhile View Post
    Hibs monthly and mass hibsteria eventually joined forces as mhhm did they not?
    It wasn't a joining of forces, just a re-naming (I think somebody else mentioned that too)

That was my patch for many years although there was a few of who took turns when some were not available.

Quote Originally Posted by MB62 View Post
    It was indeed myself. I was Jonnyboy's ass Ed for many years before he threw the reigns to me before I got the chance to pack it in

It wasn't a joining of forces, just a re-naming (I think somebody else mentioned that too)

That was my patch for many years although there was a few of who took turns when some were not available.
    Any funny quotes headlines memories stories from your fanzine days?

First Team Breakthrough
    I was the co-founder of Hibs Monthly, which evolved into Mass Hibsteria, along with my old mate SideBurns.

We started it off while still at High School and initially it was really just a Hibs news bulletin (match reports etc). It was only when we became aware of the Fanzine 'scene' across the UK that it really took off and developed the wicked sense of humour it became renowned for. I still have vivid memories of putting it together with a typewriter, scissors, prit-stick, Letraset and Tippex!

When the Hibbie Hippie, Octopus (Irvine Welsh), the Raving Reporter and several other top-notch contributors came on board it started to grow and grow, and we also got a lot of help from other fanzines (AWOL, the old Meadowbank fanzine were particularly helpful) and outlets like the old Football Crazy shop up in Spittal Street.

The readers and their contributions made it what it was, and when I started playing fitba regularly on a Saturday I passed on the green and white baton to Jonnyboy and Sean Allan. Those two took it on to another level. Later esteemed editors included Graham Ewing and Nick Clater, while the Raving Reporter (MB) was always a stalwart of the editorial committee.

Looking back, if I'm being honest, I do cringe and regret one or two of the things we said and printed in the early days - I was young and Hibs and the fitba they played were often p*sh, so a lot of it was born out of frustration. However, the overriding memory I have is one of great pride, fun and mischief-making - we used to give Alex Miller and Dougie Cromb sleepless nights and we posed a lot of questions of the board and management. One of the finest issues we produced was the 1991 Skol Cup winning celebration edition, while the 'Summer Special' was always popular.

We were, I think, also the first publication to carry an advert for an upcoming book called Trainspotting.... I wonder how that did in the end?

Happy Hibbie days!

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Frazerbob View Post
    North East Hibernian was produced by Aberdeen students in the late 80’s, early 90’s.
    I think I may have stumbled across a copy of said publication in a box of old stuff - if I find it again I'll try and post it here. Not sure it lasted more than a few editions but then I left Aberdeen in 1989.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Liberal Hibby View Post
    I think I may have stumbled across a copy of said publication in a box of old stuff - if I find it again I'll try and post it here. Not sure it lasted more than a few editions but then I left Aberdeen in 1989.
    The North East Hibernian was the work of Moray Tait, a good lad and Hibbie (obviously) who has worked as a production journo for many years.