hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hibs fanzines

Hibs fanzines

Please excuse my ignorance here, being an outsider who only starting following the Hibees from afar at the turn of the Millennium, and picking up the bug properly once more in the last few years..

But being a Manchester United fan who gets to Hibs games when I can, I was wondering what the fanzine scene was like at Easter Road before the onset of the internet. What fanzines have there been down the years, how long did they last, and do you think there's possibly room for a fanzine in future, or has that day now sadly passed?

I used to love collecting fanzines more than programmes when I was a kid and we've always been blessed at United, but I was just wondering what the history of fanzines at Hibernian is... if anyone can help shed some light on this for me please....

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by McrHibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Please excuse my ignorance here, being an outsider who only starting following the Hibees from afar at the turn of the Millennium, and picking up the bug properly once more in the last few years..

But being a Manchester United fan who gets to Hibs games when I can, I was wondering what the fanzine scene was like at Easter Road before the onset of the internet. What fanzines have there been down the years, how long did they last, and do you think there's possibly room for a fanzine in future, or has that day now sadly passed?

I used to love collecting fanzines more than programmes when I was a kid and we've always been blessed at United, but I was just wondering what the history of fanzines at Hibernian is... if anyone can help shed some light on this for me please....
    Good thread, there are a couple of fanzine contributors who post regularly on here, Johnnyboy and MB62 are two names that spring to mind👍

Apologies MB62 if it wasnt you, auld brain isnt as sharp as it used to be 😆

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    HIBS monthly and Masshibsteria spring to mind with contributions from jonnyboy Grumpy Gibby the North Stand Hibby and from Irvine Welsh and Sandy McNair in various guises

Copies available from Almondvale Programmes
    5 Albion Road Edinburgh EH7 5QJ
    almondvaleprogrammes@hotmail.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    HIBS monthly and Masshibsteria spring to mind with contributions from jonnyboy Grumpy Gibby the North Stand Hibby and from Irvine Welsh and Sandy McNair in various guises

Copies available from Almondvale Programmes
    5 Albion Road Edinburgh EH7 5QJ
    almondvaleprogrammes@hotmail.co.uk
    Hibs monthly and mass hibsteria eventually joined forces as mhhm did they not?

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    The pre internet Hibs fanzine scene was pretty good. Hibs Monthly was particularly fine. I remember Sandy Mc Nair contributed a fair bit ( Grumpy Gibby) and Irvine Welsh was the Octopus. The Proclaimer was another one I remember buying, but for me it was the Hibs Monthly. Still got loads of them.

Also used to enjoy the Absolute Game. A generic Scottish football fanzine. Very well produced.

@hibs.net private member tanfield's Avatar
    There was loads at one point, Glasgow Gossip, Hibs Monthly and The Proclaimer were steady editions and TANESH (sp) came later. There were a couple of one edition productions at the height of it all, Down The Slope and Aye Monotonous being a couple I got my hands on

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    There was also The Proclaimer, Glasgow Gossip, TANEHSH (?), Hibees Here,...

The
    Absolutely
    Non
    Essential
    Hibs
    Supporters......

Cannae remember the full acronym 🇳🇬

Edit: the final H may have been
    Handbook 🤔

First Team Regular NthCarolinaHibs's Avatar
    I used to do one when I lived in the States,for US based Hibees,and Canadian Hibees...internet took care of that ☹️..

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Used to always love the front page of Mass Hysteria, always caught your attention
    Used to buy from a lad at the top of St Clair St, he had long black hair. Does he still go to the games?

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar
    North East Hibernian was produced by Aberdeen students in the late 80’s, early 90’s.

Mass Hibsteria was absolutely top notch.

I used to love it when you turned into Albion Road and there would be someone there selling a new edition on the street.

Mass Hibsteria gave birth to that odious hideous money grabbing Jambo character “Wallet Mercenary” or was it on a banner at a Hands Off HIBS rally?
    Last edited by BILLYHIBS; 18-02-2019 at 08:56 PM.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    One of my favourites was there was a photo of Pele on the front page, with the caption “the black Chic Charley”🤣

Post Skol Cup win and pre Hearts 1998 Scottish Cup win we used to have a lot of fun laughing at their lack of trophy success in recent decades.

I remember a page being dedicated to Hearts' trophy successes since (?) 1962 or whatever - basically a chart that listed in columns under Scottish Cup, League Cup and League Championship "did not win" many times over.

Inconsequential
    Left by mutual consent!
    I used to get Hibs Monthly/ Mass Hibsteria delivered as a subscriber for many years. As a previous poster mentioned they were one and the same thing. They didn't merge as such just a change of name. The readers were invited to suggest a new name for the fanzine with a modest prize for the winning entry iirc. Still have many copies safely stored away. These were the good old days before all the internet rubbish we have now!

@hibs.net private member Radium's Avatar

Found this when clearing my mum’s house out last year. Good read twenty odd years on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Radium View Post

Found this when clearing my mum’s house out last year. Good read twenty odd years on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Did Stuart Crowther have something to do with that fanzine ?

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    I was just the right age to catch the start of the fanzine scene, and luckily for Hibs fans we had some excellent publications, with the Hibees Glasgow Gossip being the first I remember buying. They were the complete antidote to the match day programmes and were filled with a mix of sharp wit/cartoons/essays and opinion.

As has been highlight above, Irvine Welsh used to contribute under the pseudonym of Octopus, and I think he might have contributed more under various guises. It was through reading fanzines that enabled me to be one of the first to purchase a copy of Trainspotting, probably quite collectible now if my well worn first edition was not held together with sellotape, as I don’t see too many with the cover that’s on my one. In the fanzine, probably Hibs Monthly, they started making mention of a book written by Octopus under the name Irvine Welsh, and highlighted some of the Hibs themed content. Despite not making much sense if it all I put an order in to my local book shop and the lady who ran the place sorted it out, and when the book was released the solitary copy she ordered was handed over with some muttered condemnation of the content when she had flicked through a couple of pages out of curiosity!

What I did notice with the fanzines was that often fans were not just interested in their own clubs publications, but would read many others, from England and Scotland, some of which had great reputations. It was a great scene back in the day.

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post

I used to love it when you turned into Albion Road and there would be someone there selling a new edition on the street.
    That was usually our very own Jonnyboy

The Proclaimer was very quick to print it's concerns about David Rowland's involvement with Hibs after Duff and Gray took over our club.
    Last edited by BS44; 18-02-2019 at 09:36 PM.

Being an avid Programme collector the fanzine used to always give me a wee chuckle at half time away from the main stream their lampooning made up stories together with some excellent essays ripping the pish out of everyone including ourselves but especially the Hertz.

Would love to see a comeback of a fanzine. 4 every season or something.

A few fanzines seem to be making a comeback, particularly down south. Good to see.

Glasgow Gossip was always the most irreverent of them all IIRC, and the most humorous.

I’m sure it was the one that described Joe Tortolano as “being successfully marked out of the game by a divot” at one point

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MSK View Post
    Did Stuart Crowther have something to do with that fanzine ?
    Yep, I'm sure that was why I never bought it....

Quote Originally Posted by Barney McGrew View Post
    Glasgow Gossip was always the most irreverent of them all IIRC, and the most humorous.

I’m sure it was the one that described Joe Tortolano as “being successfully marked out of the game by a divot” at one point
    MHHM's description of Brian Hamilton as our "musical midfield genital" still makes me chuckle.

I'd like to see them make a comeback as there are still plenty people who remember them first time around and will willingly read a piece of printed paper. I didn't get through to ER much in the eighties but always had a look around Albion Road for a seller when I did. They were usually funny, irreverent and in some respects, instant and contained opinion, something which the matchday programme didn't. A bit like punk or Viz in the beginning.

I think there are folk out there, young and old, who could generate something pretty good with all the available tech and so on - and a lot has happened since the last ones!

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    Did Hibs.net not come about as an online variant of MHHM?

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post

There was a gorgeous lassie who used to sell them sometimes: long raven black hair. Anyone remember her? I always made a point of getting my copy from her
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia&Alba View Post
    There was a gorgeous lassie who used to sell them sometimes: long raven black hair. Anyone remember her? I always made a point of getting my copy from her
    Was that no Jonnyboy with long black hair?