hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Left by mutual consent!
    Blog Entries
    Always find it funny that when Bill Leckie, The Sun and the other 'weegie rags' are gushing praise over us then it's always 'a great wee read' but as soon as it's something we don't want to hear then they're trash with an agenda

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by My_Wife_Camille View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Always find it funny that when Bill Leckie, The Sun and the other 'weegie rags' are gushing praise over us then it's always 'a great wee read' but as soon as it's something we don't want to hear then they're trash with an agenda
    That's the EEN, Scotland's best selling Hearts fanzine
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

@hibs.net private member hibeerealist's Avatar
    R
    Quote Originally Posted by Keekaboo View Post
    There are t1ts in the media and some t1ts in our own support that can't get over Lennon leaving.

Best ignored
    Bill Leckie articles are usually good reading, did you read his article post the 2016 SC win?

He lavished praise on our team and our fans in a quite emotional story and that was before NL was anywhere near HFC.

Some of the stuff in this recent story is “dressed up” for effect but I have to say that I found most of it fairly hit the nail.

Bill Leckie's the guy who phoned me up in about 1988 looking for a quote about the SRU's agreement to support the then-racist South Africa Rugby centenary celebrations. The article on the Herald's front page, got my name completely wrong, made up who I was and missed out the important bits of what I said...

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    No danger there was 16k, that would mean every seat would need to be occupied in all 3 home stands as the South holds just under 4,000 fans. There was about 100 Hamilton fans. Lucky if there was 200 home fans in the South as well.

16k tickets sold maybe, 16k in the ground no way.
    East/West both looked 80%+ occupied. FF more than half full. 5-600 in South.

It wasn’t 16k through the turnstiles, but neither was it near 11k, as you know.

Hibs should start banning the rags/journalists who are going out their way to stick the boot in at Hibs. **** the lot of them.

I quite like Bill Leckie as a journalist.

That article is a steaming turd although if you fork through it there are a couple of lumps of sweetcorn in there.

He has a point about the crowds. I thought the crowd a few weeks ago against Aberdeen was terrible and that it was probably only the decent Aberdeen support that took it into 5 figures. Like HC I've been going along to Hibs games for a number of years and looking out from the East you can see spaces everywhere. There are seats all around me that haven't been used much (on the halfway line, near the back) so I can't imagine the East is anywhere near full either.

What he fails to grasp is that this is largely Lennon's fault rather than the fault of his departure. If Lennon had still been there on Saturday we'd probably have gone with 5 at the back and a defensive midfielder, at least one player woefully out of position, a midfield unit that would have been dominated (instead of dominate which they did for a change) and our main striker would have been up front on his own, a disconsolate figure, and we'd have drawn or lost by the odd goal.

Lennon was good value for journalists. He was open and engaging, good for a story and gave them lots of material to work with. They will miss him a lot more than we will. He did well to get us promoted, last season was immense but this season left so, so much to be desired that it is almost impossible for anyone to inspire us with what has been left behind.

Stubbs created the feel good factor that has been pierced. As it happens we've got a highly-rated coach who put a team out to put on a performance that I'd say 95% of us were satisfied with at the weekend. Leckie might not have got his quote about the Celtic game on Sunday from Heckingbottom like he would have from Lennon, it doesn't mean his first day at the office wasn't a successful one.

The board's next big battle is going to be to convince us to continue to part with cash to support the new man. Leckie might actually have a point with some of his criticisms of them. Can they convince us that we will be ready for the start of a season for a change? Will we have options and cover up front? Will we have a midfield that can do more against the better teams in our league? How do we go about gradually rebuilding an ageing defence? Is it going to be a pile of loans and 30 somethings or are we going to go back to what made Stubbs successful?

The whole Lennon situation is funny. For someone who is hated by so many, he doesn't half have his fans too. I liked him enough as manager but I think everyone, Leckie included, would do well to "move on". And if he, or any other outsider looking in thinks that they are going to find anything at Easter Road other than small (but curious) crowds as a dull season of transition fizzles out then they can think again.
    Last edited by Smartie; 18-02-2019 at 09:36 AM.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibeerealist View Post
    R

Bill Leckie articles are usually good reading, did you read his article post the 2016 SC win?

He lavished praise on our team and our fans in a quite emotional story and that was before NL was anywhere near HFC.

Some of the stuff in this recent story is “dressed up” for effect but I have to say that I found most of it fairly hit the nail.
    The stuff implying that Hibs somehow got rid of Lennon because he was too ambitious is spiteful nonsense.

He's also slagging Hibs' performance whilst conveniently ignoring the fact that we were 8th when Lennon was suspended and we'd only managed to win twice since the 6-0 game he waxes lyrical about.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Let's face it, Lennon had lost the plot long before the parting of the ways.It was him who led us down the league to 8th position and many a manager would have been dismissed for that record alone. On top of his game Lennon was a great manager for us but sadly something went wrong along the way and nothing to do with player budgets either.

Left by mutual consent!
    Leckie is usually alright as well.

I would say there was about 13k there on Saturday.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Supermac View Post
    Let's face it, Lennon had lost the plot long before the parting of the ways.It was him who led us down the league to 8th position and many a manager would have been dismissed for that record alone. On top of his game Lennon was a great manager for us but sadly something went wrong along the way and nothing to do with player budgets either.

either way though it's time to move on FFS.

@hibs.net private member
    Seems like Leckie might be a Hibby as that article wouldn't look out of place as a post on here...

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    The local hacks had their noses put out of joint by the information vacuum between NL's suspension and PH's appointment.

In Neil Lennon, they've also lost a contact that they know well and who was always good for easy column inches.

They don't know Paul Heckingbottom so, even though he appears to be media friendly, they'll have to work harder to produce soemthing vaguely of interest which isn't already on the clubs official channels.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
    Seems like Leckie might be a Hibby as that article wouldn't look out of place as a post on here...
    Where about? What's the deal with posters constantly ripping into others

Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    The local hacks had their noses put out of joint by the information vacuum between NL's suspension and PH's appointment.

In Neil Lennon, they've also lost a contact that they know well and who was always good for easy column inches.

They don't know Paul Heckingbottom so, even though he appears to be media friendly, they'll have to work harder to produce soemthing vaguely of interest which isn't already on the clubs official channels.
    Plus, backing Lennon goes down well with ra Sellick fans who buy that rag.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post

Maybe the club and NL would have been better saying something about what happened rather than leaving a void that's inevitably going to be filled with speculation and also leave our club and board open to this sort of attack. Even if they'd said there had been a fall out and in the heat of the moment things were said that maybe shouldn't have and it was thought it better for a split. To say nothing happened and no one was at fault and then the manager leaving for no given reason is only asking for this sort of thing. IMO

Quote Originally Posted by Real Emerald View Post
    Maybe the club and NL would have been better saying something about what happened rather than leaving a void that's inevitably going to be filled with speculation and also leave our club and board open to this sort of attack. Even if they'd said there had been a fall out and in the heat of the moment things were said that maybe shouldn't have and it was thought it better for a split. To say nothing happened and no one was at fault and then the manager leaving for no given reason is only asking for this sort of thing. IMO
    I don't see why Hibs should give them the satisfaction.

And it would be the end of it - just the start. What was said? By who? To whom? And is it true that the players.....? And? And? And?

It's over, the media need to deal with it and try to make news out of a quietly competent home victory under a highly rated new manager.

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. ****gy View Post
    Bill Leckie's the guy who phoned me up in about 1988 looking for a quote about the SRU's agreement to support the then-racist South Africa Rugby centenary celebrations. The article on the Herald's front page, got my name completely wrong, made up who I was and missed out the important bits of what I said...
    Maybe he phoned someone else after you and went with their quote 😉

Left by mutual consent! Speedway's Avatar
    There was some lovely football played yesterday.

The press really don’t like not being told what’s going on do they?

Quote Originally Posted by 90+2 View Post
    Where about? What's the deal with posters constantly ripping into others
    It was clearly a tongue in cheek remark, but he didn't "rip in" to anyone.

Your post is actually more pointed than his.

There have been loads of posts wrongly saying that the board lacks ambition and repeating the nonsense that it was Lennon's desire for success which really was behind his departure.

There have been loads of folk saying that they were embarrassed by the way Hibs got rid of Lennon and there have been loads of folk saying that the game on Saturday was dull.

It's a message board. When people express opinions they have to expect that some people may disagree and criticise.

It's not "ripping in". It's discussion.
    Last edited by Hibbyradge; 18-02-2019 at 10:18 AM.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    So the Leckie argument seems to be Leeann actually wants us to be midtable mediocrity? Yet Leckie doesn't give a reason why this would be in her interests?

Absolute moon howling stuff.
    It's bonkers.

LD - Hang on, we're doing *too* well, I don't like it - crowds are up, income is up, profit is up, we're doing better than we've done in Europe for years... I know, I'll hijack it.
    **phones Lennon**

NL - Hello?

LD - Hi Neil, it's Leeann here. Yes, Dempster. We need to talk, we're being too ambitious and we need to scale it back a bit please. Mid-table mediocrity is what we really want.

NL - Eh?

LD - Yeah, that's why we didn't keep McGinn. Honestly.

NL - Was it not just that it was time for him to go and Villa was a good move for him and us?

LD - that's the story we want to peddle to the masses, but in reality we don't want to do well. At least not that well. Just mediocre.

NL - well you're not matching my ambition. I'm a little upset about that.

LD - to be honest Neil, on the face of it the team's in 8th and we've given you plenty of money to work with so you're not really matching my ambition.

NL - but..

LD - Haha! just kidding, you're totally matching our ambition because mind I just told you that I want mediocrity. It's our new buzz word.

NL - have you been drinking?

LD - No. Must go now anyway, Rod's got these phone bills itemised and it'll come out of my pay if I'm on too long.

NL - Ok, see you later then. I'm off and taking Parker with me.

LD - you're not resigning are you?

NL - No, are you sacking me?

LD - No.

NL - But I am going, right?

LD - remember - ambition. Ssshhhh. Mum's the word.

**hangs up**
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

@hibs.net private member Radium's Avatar
    Thanks to the op for putting the text up - less clicks on their site the better.

Felt like the story was written before the match - with details of the match added in.

The revisionism about this season is remarkable. Injuries, international breaks and limited success in the summer window contributed to a sharp fall off in form after the 6-0 but Lennon/ Parker took it upon themselves to rip into players and put out baffling line-ups. All of which are ignored.

Lennon will be remembered for the football in the second half of last season and promotion. Leckie’s article would have you believe that he had us on course for a title whereas he left after a toothless performance at Fir Park.

Now onwards with the already written off PHeckingbottom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    It's bonkers.

LD - Hang on, we're doing *too* well, I don't like it - crowds are up, income is up, profit is up, we're doing better than we've done in Europe for years... I know, I'll hijack it.
    **phones Lennon**

NL - Hello?

LD - Hi Neil, it's Leeann here. Yes, Dempster. We need to talk, we're being too ambitious and we need to scale it back a bit please. Mid-table mediocrity is what we really want.

NL - Eh?

NL - Was it not just that it was time for him to go and Villa was a good move for him and us?

LD - that's the story we want to peddle to the masses, but in reality we don't want to do well. At least not that well. Just mediocre.

LD - to be honest Neil, on the face of it the team's in 8th and we've given you plenty of money to work with so you're not really matching my ambition.

NL - but..

LD - Haha! just kidding, you're totally matching our ambition because mind I just told you that I want mediocrity. It's our new buzz word.

LD - No. Must go now anyway, Rod's got these phone bills itemised and it'll come out of my pay if I'm on too long.

LD - No.

**hangs up**
    😂😂😂 that’s up there with the best posts I’ve read on here.

Quote Originally Posted by Real Emerald View Post
    Thankfully, this sort of thing is poorly thought out, poorly researched, speculative, claptrap.

There may once have been a buzz surrounding Bill Leckie's articles (anything is possible) but now they are transparent. Wordy but empty of any real news.

Any real hibby that doesn't roll their eyes at the inaccuracy of Leckie's portrayal of life under Lennon needs a word.

Was there a buzz during the slow start last season? Was there one in the last few months of Lennon's tenure? Can we seriously write off the new regime as lacking the ability to bring back the excitement after half a week?

Come on Bill. Must try harder.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilson View Post
    Thankfully, this sort of thing is poorly thought out, poorly researched, speculative, claptrap.

There may once have been a buzz surrounding Bill Leckie's articles (anything is possible) but now they are transparent. Wordy but empty of any real news.

Any real hibby that doesn't roll their eyes at the inaccuracy of Leckie's portrayal of life under Lennon needs a word.

Was there a buzz during the slow start last season? Was there one in the last few months of Lennon's tenure? Can we seriously write the new regime as lacking the ability to bring back the excitement after half a week?

I wonder what he wrote about the buzz when The Rangers beat Hamilton 1-0 at Ibrox in December.

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    I quite like Bill Leckie as a journalist.

That article is a steaming turd although if you fork through it there are a couple of lumps of sweetcorn in there.

He has a point about the crowds. I thought the crowd a few weeks ago against Aberdeen was terrible and that it was probably only the decent Aberdeen support that took it into 5 figures. Like HC I've been going along to Hibs games for a number of years and looking out from the East you can see spaces everywhere. There are seats all around me that haven't been used much (on the halfway line, near the back) so I can't imagine the East is anywhere near full either.

What he fails to grasp is that this is largely Lennon's fault rather than the fault of his departure. If Lennon had still been there on Saturday we'd probably have gone with 5 at the back and a defensive midfielder, at least one player woefully out of position, a midfield unit that would have been dominated (instead of dominate which they did for a change) and our main striker would have been up front on his own, a disconsolate figure, and we'd have drawn or lost by the odd goal.

Lennon was good value for journalists. He was open and engaging, good for a story and gave them lots of material to work with. They will miss him a lot more than we will. He did well to get us promoted, last season was immense but this season left so, so much to be desired that it is almost impossible for anyone to inspire us with what has been left behind.

Stubbs created the feel good factor that has been pierced. As it happens we've got a highly-rated coach who put a team out to put on a performance that I'd say 95% of us were satisfied with at the weekend. Leckie might not have got his quote about the Celtic game on Sunday from Heckingbottom like he would have from Lennon, it doesn't mean his first day at the office wasn't a successful one.

The board's next big battle is going to be to convince us to continue to part with cash to support the new man. Leckie might actually have a point with some of his criticisms of them. Can they convince us that we will be ready for the start of a season for a change? Will we have options and cover up front? Will we have a midfield that can do more against the better teams in our league? How do we go about gradually rebuilding an ageing defence? Is it going to be a pile of loans and 30 somethings or are we going to go back to what made Stubbs successful?

The whole Lennon situation is funny. For someone who is hated by so many, he doesn't half have his fans too. I liked him enough as manager but I think everyone, Leckie included, would do well to "move on". And if he, or any other outsider looking in thinks that they are going to find anything at Easter Road other than small (but curious) crowds as a dull season of transition fizzles out then they can think again.
    Best post I've seen on here for a while.

It's bonkers.

**phones Lennon**

NL - Hello?

NL - Eh?

NL - but..

LD - No.

**hangs up**

I hope you haven't just destroyed the confidentiality clause.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilson View Post

Was there a buzz during the slow start last season? Was there one in the last few months of Lennon's tenure? Can we seriously write off the new regime as lacking the ability to bring back the excitement after half a week?

I agree with this have said so earlier in the thread. the point I'm getting at is we're getting attacked in the press and from our own fans because no explanation was given and it's inevitable people will speculate and make things up. Lennon's time was up IMO and the downturn could definitely be laid, at least in a big part at his door.

Testimonial Due green with envy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia&Alba View Post
    HC might be a moaning auld git, but he goes to every match, home and away, so fair play to him.
    That doesn't give him the right to have a pop or just about give his negativity thoughts on nearly every post.

It's bonkers.

**phones Lennon**

NL - Hello?

NL - Eh?

NL - but..

LD - No.

**hangs up**