hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member worcesterhibby's Avatar

Battle for top six looks like being pretty exciting

With the new management team in place and a win under their belts the race for 6th between ourselves, Motherwell and St Johnstone is now very much on. St Johnstone are on a terrible run of form with 4 losses and 1 draw from their last 5 games, while Well have won 5 on the trot. The head to heads v St J and Motherwell will be crackers and I have a good feeling that our new Gaffer will get us on a run that will see us clinch 6th before the split. The fact that our goal difference is so much better could be crucial, as it will be like an extra point if things get very tight.

2. Log in to remove the advert

It’s well in our own hands to do it.

A win next week is absolutely crucial. St Johnstone play Aberdeen and Motherwell play Celtic so there is a fair chance they both drop points.

Only ever takes 3 or 4 wins on the bounce in this league for things to look totally different.

Top six isn’t anything to hugely celebrate but I think it would be a really positive start for Heckingbottom to secure it.

Yep, was checking the table and we are in a superior position regarding goal difference. Looking forward to seeing where we go from here. Feel that we've been hanging on to 7/8th position for ages now!

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It’s well in our own hands to do it.

A win next week is absolutely crucial. St Johnstone play Aberdeen and Motherwell play Celtic so there is a fair chance they both drop points.

Only ever takes 3 or 4 wins on the bounce in this league for things to look totally different.

Top six isn’t anything to hugely celebrate but I think it would be a really positive start for Heckingbottom to secure it.
    The difference is a good few grand. Also another derby. Nothing to celebrate but something to look forward 2.

Quote Originally Posted by gorgiegreens View Post
    The difference is a good few grand. Also another derby. Nothing to celebrate but something to look forward 2.
    Should also get another home game against Celtc which, like the derby and prize money, will help boost the player budget for next season.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

Who would have thought last summer that we'd have a thread about this? Brutal season.

We have to do it.

Hibs and Motherwell to make top 6, Hearts and St. Johnstone to miss out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member JohnMcM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    Hibs and Motherwell to make top 6, Hearts and St. Johnstone to miss out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    At this moment in time, unlikely, but nice to think of.

@hibs.net private member Jack Hackett's Avatar
    I don't want exciting

Only of we keep winning.

Left by mutual consent!
    No it doesn’t. It’s a Beamer saving season in general.

Left by mutual consent!
    Not interested in top 6. Aiming to just be in the top 6 should be left for Motherwell, St Johnstone etc.

Here is hoping we put a run together and push for 4th.

@hibs.net private member lapsedhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Trips View Post
    Not interested in top 6. Aiming to just be in the top 6 should be left for Motherwell, St Johnstone etc.

Can't believe the number of people here and on the other thread who're even contemplating the possibility of us finishing fourth.

We've just beaten Hamilton by two goals, a result which is four goals worse than the result under our previous manager in the corresponding feature earlier this season. If this pattern's repeated I calculate we'll finish the season on 35 points with a goal difference of -40. We'll be lucky to escape the relegation play-off spot.

Quote Originally Posted by lapsedhibee View Post
    Can't believe the number of people here and on the other thread who're even contemplating the possibility of us finishing fourth.

We've just beaten Hamilton by two goals, a result which is four goals worse than the result under our previous manager in the corresponding feature earlier this season. If this pattern's repeated I calculate we'll finish the season on 35 points with a goal difference of -40. We'll be lucky to escape the relegation play-off spot.
    I have no idea what your last paragraph is on about with your predictions

Testimonial Due

How many people think theres a possibility of us finishing fourth ?

@hibs.net private member lapsedhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SMAXXA View Post
    I have no idea what your last paragraph is on about with your predictions
    The clear decline in results under our new manager, so far. Let's hope it's blip rather than pattern.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Trips View Post

We need to make top six if we are to push for 4th. Focus on making top 6 first then re-evauate targets after that.

The clear decline in results under our new manager, so far. Let's hope it's blip rather than pattern.
    Anything less than a resounding 3-0 win in Friday and we're in trouble then. In fact, if you're going like-for-like from heady days of thumping away triumphs... if Agyepong doesn't get a minute of game time, let alone another goal at Dens, then the rots really set in.

A win at Dens Park is a must. I think 6th is doable.

Quote Originally Posted by worcesterhibby View Post
    With the new management team in place and a win under their belts the race for 6th between ourselves, Motherwell and St Johnstone is now very much on. St Johnstone are on a terrible run of form with 4 losses and 1 draw from their last 5 games, while Well have won 5 on the trot. The head to heads v St J and Motherwell will be crackers and I have a good feeling that our new Gaffer will get us on a run that will see us clinch 6th before the split. The fact that our goal difference is so much better could be crucial, as it will be like an extra point if things get very tight.
    Agree the above however the fans don’t agree.

Where were they on sat for the new manager? 16000 I don’t think so.

There is a real apathy around the place and the worry is season ticket sales take a huge hit.

Quote Originally Posted by mcfly View Post

There is a real apathy around the place and the worry is season ticket sales take a huge hit.
    I think there's quite a few fans that will need convincing. If PH can turn things around and show signs of improvement, I don't think the hit will be that huge. If we don't improve and finish in the bottom six, I see at least 2000 less season tickets sold next year. That's roughly a half million quid the club won't see.

@hibs.net private member CapitalGreen's Avatar

There was only 16,000 fans when Lennon faced Hamilton for the first time at Easter Road too.

They pumped us 3-1 that day.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40908206

@hibs.net private member CapitalGreen's Avatar

The attendance of our 2nd home match against Hamilton last season in the middle of our winning streak was only 15,818.

@hibs.net private member worcesterhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CmoantheHibs View Post
    We need to make top six if we are to push for 4th. Focus on making top 6 first then re-evauate targets after that.
    exactly, and I’m sure the coaching staff will be looking at it this way. Let’s get on a run and get into the top 6 first. We are 3 points behind St J and 1 behind Motherwell but we still have to play both of them. It’s in our hands. Once we make the top 6 we can start looking higher up the table. Let’s hope hearts keep dropping points and give us a chance of overtaking them at that point.

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    I think the split for the final few games is a pointless exercise. All teams should play each other the same number of times, as it used to be. Top six might mean a few more quid, which is fair enough.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitHibs View Post
    A win at Dens Park is a must. I think 6th is doable.
    This. Think it's a must win, the fact we play Motherwell and St J in the next few weeks means it'll be interesting but our other games are Hearts away, Sevco at home and Killie at home. Tough fixtures.
    Last edited by Leitherhibs; 18-02-2019 at 08:48 AM. Reason: We don't play Celtic in league, doh!

Someone rightly pointed out. The three goals Heck as are

1) Get top Six
    2) Beat Hearts
    3) Get into the next round of the SC

If he even achieves one of these he will come out of this season with credibility. All three and he will be revered over the summer.

The squad he has inherited clearly has quality within it - the question is can he tap into that pool of ability that's there and bring them to the level they are capable of achieving. I think he will need to stick to a 4-4-2, 4-1-2-1-2 or a 4-2-2-2 if he is to do this. He has a very strong squad to work with and a healthy crop of talented youth players coming through. The future of this club is bright.

Sorry, but I just can't bring myself to find a battle to get into the top six "exciting".

Mildly interesting maybe (which is better than being safely isolated in about 8th or 9th) but it is certainly not exciting.

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia&Alba View Post
    I think the split for the final few games is a pointless exercise. All teams should play each other the same number of times, as it used to be. Top six might mean a few more quid, which is fair enough.
    A few more quid for league position

A few more quid for crowds v Hearts and Celtic rather than Livi and Dundee

A few more quid from the perception of top 6 being more credible to those who buy STs based on likely performance next year.

I'm not sure exactly what it would be worth - but probably a couple of players wages for next year at least.

I also like the split as a concept.
    Mon the Hibs.

So a win on Friday puts us 6th with Motherwell and St J both having games you would imagine they wouldn’t get any more than a point out of in Celtic and Aberdeen. At that point we would be 5 behind hearts and 8 behind killie, both have games you’d expect them to win. A win on Friday would be huge and if it’s followed with a win in Perth that mid week then all of a sudden we’d be just as close to 5th and potentially 4th as we would be to Motherwell and St J in 7th and 8th. If we do come out of the next two games with 6 points the mindset will completely change and we would have a small chance of nicking a European place albeit relying on killie/hearts dropping points. We do however have to play both of these teams(twice if we get top 6). Anything short of 4 points on the next two games and the best we can hope for at a push is 6th IMO