hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by CMurdoch View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Thanks Jonny, i will try to get my head round it.
    As a long time advocate of Slivka and Milligan I have long since realised we all see things differently .
    I agree with you. Slivka has it just isn’t consistent enough. Mallon lacks control and is poor as a defensive mid. He needs to play further forwards as his main weapon is his shooting ability
    milligan is classy

2. Log in to remove the advert

First Team Regular
    In my humble opinion Mallan is a very good footballer I appreciate he couldn't tackle a fish supper but other features of his game are top notch .I can remember a number of Hibs players who couldn't tackle Willie Hamilton my favourite Hibs player being one . Mallan is a young guy who I'm sure will improve given time .I can't believe people saying he was abysmal yesterday

Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    I notice you refer to his shooting but don't actually mention the goals. He's our joint top scorer this season with 11 in 35 games which is a goal every 3 games, a good return for a midfielder I'd say.
    People keep quoting the 11 goals Mallan has scored this season as a reason to keep him in the team.
    This a red herring when judging his ability to score against any team above the 3rd bottom slot in the Scottish Premiership.

He scored
    4 of our 12 goals against amateurs Runavic of the Faroe Islands
    4 of our 12 in 3 games against Hamilton(2), St Mirren(1) & Dundee(1)

2 goals in the cup against lower league teams Elgin(1) & Ross County(1).

That leaves 1 goal scored against Kilmarnock on the 15th September 2018.

Since his early scoring spree opposing teams appear to have stopped giving away free kicks just outside their box and have made sure Mallan has been closed down from 25 yards in. As a result his goals from free kicks and shots have all but dried up and he appears powerless to overcome this.
    Last edited by CMurdoch; 17-02-2019 at 05:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CMurdoch View Post
    People keep quoting the 11 goals Mallan has scored this season as a reason to keep him in the team.
    This a red herring when judging his ability to score against any team above the 3rd bottom slot in the Scottish Premiership.

He scored
    4 of our 12 goals against amateurs Runavic of the Faroe Islands
    4 of our 12 in 3 games against Hamilton(2), St Mirren(1) & Dundee(1)

2 goals in the cup against lower league teams Elgin(1) & Ross County(1).

That leaves 1 goal scored against Kilmarnock on the 15th September 2018.

Since his early scoring spree opposing teams appear to have stopped giving away free kicks just outside their box and have made sure Mallan has been closed down from 25 yards in. As a result his goals from free kicks and shots have all but dried up and he appears powerless to overcome this.

Our other joint top scorer has scored most of his goals v Icelanders, bottom 3 and lower league teams too. Tends to be the way it is at a club like Hibs.

I think you’re being overly harsh now.

Quote Originally Posted by houstonhibbee View Post
    I agree with you. Slivka has it just isn’t consistent enough. Mallon lacks control and is poor as a defensive mid. He needs to play further forwards as his main weapon is his shooting ability
    milligan is classy
    Slivka's been in and out of the team, stuck out wide etc etc and that doesn't lend itself to consistent performances.

Since about the start of December he's been played consistently in the middle of the park and lo and behold, his consistency has improved.

Even Slivka's harshest critics would have to accept that he's been consistent over the past dozen games - games home and away and against the weaker and stronger teams in the league.

He's risen to the challenge.