hibs.net Messageboard

3pts away from home - i'm a happy glory hunter. jonty's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: jonty Wii Code: 7580 5998 4272 1376

Geoffrey Kondogbia charged for intentional booking

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47259809

Is this something new? For years we've had players 'taking one for the team' by intentionally fouling and taking a booking (when teams break and there's limited cover for example)

In this case it was timewasting. Keepers do it quite often (and rightly get booked)

Now you can be charged, as well as receive a booking/suspension? Seems a bit harsh.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Hibs Class's Avatar
    There have been a few cases in recent years. Sergio Ramos also being looked at for the same offence this week, and I think an English player (maybe Beckham?) did similar a few years ago. It is quite subjective, with punishment more likely if the player owns up to it in the media or on social media.
    ​#PERSEVERED

I think the issue is that he deliberately got booked so that he would miss the return leg rather than a game further on in the competition. I'm glad he has been charged if that's the case. I remember Beckham cheating in similar circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibs Class View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    There have been a few cases in recent years. Sergio Ramos also being looked at for the same offence this week, and I think an English player (maybe Beckham?) did similar a few years ago. It is quite subjective, with punishment more likely if the player owns up to it in the media or on social media.
    It might be subjective if he committed a foul, and that could have been construed as not deliberately looking to get booked. I think it is clear what his intention was and I doubt you'll hear him admitting his real intention.

Another form of bending the rules.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    How can they proof it was deliberate unless the player admits it.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sioux View Post
    It might be subjective if he committed a foul, and that could have been construed as not deliberately looking to get booked. I think it is clear what his intention was and I doubt you'll hear him admitting his real intention.

Another form of bending the rules.
    It’s surely still subjective whether he was doing it to deliberately to get booked or not? Players time waste in games they are winning all the time. Goalies especially will be getting bans all over the place is this is the rule

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brooster View Post
    I think the issue is that he deliberately got booked so that he would miss the return leg rather than a game further on in the competition. I'm glad he has been charged if that's the case. I remember Beckham cheating in similar circumstances.
    Is it cheating?

Sounds like he's done the smart thing to me.
    Mon the Hibs.

Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    How can they proof it was deliberate unless the player admits it.
    This is not a criminal case where the law states that the prosecution should prove the offence 'beyond reasonable doubt'.

If in 'the balance of all probability' it can be shown that the player's intention was not to waste time within the context of the actual game, but to take a booking for the underlying reason of creating a meaningless suspension, the administrators are within their rights to consider the underlying reasons, and come to the conclusion that this was an act not within the laws of the game. In theses circumstances it is likely that the test is 'in the opinion of the administrators', and their opinion is final. (Admin pricks)

No different to what compliance officers do on a weekly basis.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by BoomtownHibeys View Post
    It’s surely still subjective whether he was doing it to deliberately to get booked or not? Players time waste in games they are winning all the time. Goalies especially will be getting bans all over the place is this is the rule
    This was my thinking too.
    The ref deals with it at the time through a card, adds extra time if he feels it deserves it. Case closed.
    I didn't realise there was a Ramos incident and I cant recall Beckhams incident. TBF I don't recall much about him in an England top. A free kick against Greece and Ronaldo getting him sent off. That's about it

@hibs.net private member
    If they really feel he got himself booked intentionally..surely, as well as being fined, the best punishment would to be rescind the booking! :)

At the time the commentators made it seem like it was a big blow to Valencia, but it was quite clearly the perfect suspension to get it out the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Sioux View Post
    This is not a criminal case where the law states that the prosecution should prove the offence 'beyond reasonable doubt'.

If in 'the balance of all probability' it can be shown that the player's intention was not to waste time within the context of the actual game, but to take a booking for the underlying reason of creating a meaningless suspension, the administrators are within their rights to consider the underlying reasons, and come to the conclusion that this was an act not within the laws of the game. In theses circumstances it is likely that the test is 'in the opinion of the administrators', and their opinion is final. (Admin pricks)

No different to what compliance officers do on a weekly basis.
    Agreed. This will be why they have done it. About time too. Why else would he get booked in that situation?

Quote Originally Posted by jonty View Post
    This was my thinking too.
    The ref deals with it at the time through a card, adds extra time if he feels it deserves it. Case closed.
    I didn't realise there was a Ramos incident and I cant recall Beckhams incident. TBF I don't recall much about him in an England top. A free kick against Greece and Ronaldo getting him sent off. That's about it
    It was Rooney that Ronaldo got sent off but you are maybe thinking of simeone in a game vs Argentina. Unless I'm being a dafty

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by samcrowe View Post
    It was Rooney that Ronaldo got sent off but you are maybe thinking of simeone in a game vs Argentina. Unless I'm being a dafty
    you're right. i remember even less about beckham than i first thought

Blog Entries
    What’s he charged with ....... bringing the game into disrepute?

Gary O'Connor definately did it at Hampden on the Saturday prior to Scotland then flying out for an away game. Getting himself a one game ban preventing him from flying out.

Quote Originally Posted by samcrowe View Post
    Simeone for Beckham

Michael O'Neill did it playing for us at Tynecastle. He was one booking away from a ban and was due to go in for surgery the next again week.
    He got himself booked in the dying minutes of the game so that the ban would take effect whilst he was out recovering.

EZ

Sergio Ramos has done it at least twice. Blatantly throwing the ball away is his usual method, ref always gives a yellow.