hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ODI cricket

Quote Originally Posted by Bangkok Hibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Did some guy get 6 sixes today? Dont know much about cricket but isnt that a very long standing record?
    It’s been done a few times going back to Sir Gary Sobers in black and white. I think in an English county match.

Just found the one today. It was a young english player called Will Jacks in a 10 over match in Dubai between 2 english counties. He hit 100 in 25 balls! Incredible stuff.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    I've neglected this thread as I've been on holiday and stuff but we are getting ever closer to the Cricket World Cup and squads are being announced. I have been watching rather a lot of IPL though and while Test cricket will always be my first love, I'm enjoying the 120-ball game. What I particularly like is the way in which it brings players from different nations into the same teams, a bit like English county cricket in the 1970s and 1980s.

Australia have named their squad and no surprise that Smith and Warner return. Peter Handscomb is unlucky to make way and I would have been tempted to keep him ahead of Shaun Marsh.

Disappointingly, Josh Hazlewood didn't make the cut either. His bowling is perfectly suited to English climes but he is on a long road back from injury and the five quicks that Australia have named are all there on merit. Assuming Smith and Warner settle back in then Australia look very strong - a potential XI of Finch, Warner, Smith, Maxwell, Stoinis, Carey, Cummins, Starc, Richardson, Coulter-Nile and Lyon.

Likely they will go with a sixth batsman on most grounds, Khawaja or Marsh, but their bowlers can bat a bit so they can afford to be attacking. On some pitches they may want to play Zampa alongside Lyon and drop to three seamers, on other pitches it will be four quicks and Behrendorff will be in with a shout, probably at the expense of Coulter-Nile.

India named their squad too. Rishabh Pant very unlucky to miss out but he is young and his time will come. Karthik is far more experienced and has better ODI figures. India also seem to have settled their No.4 selection dilemma and given the nod to Vijay Shankar.

Very interestingly, the Indians are only going with three out-and-out pace bowlers, albeit three of the best pace bowlers in the world. They do have numerous all-rounders however and could conceivably field a side with seven players capable of throwing the ball.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

The Windies are due to name their CWC squad tomorrow and delightfully, there are a number of question marks!

I think Andre Russell does enough, fitness permitting. His bowling is adequate and his strike rate as a batsman makes him an obvious pick. Sunil Narine is another maybe. Great spinner who has had to overcome all sorts of problems because of his bowling action.

The Windies have a lot of young talent and a couple of senior pros who can guide them well. Plus Chris Gayle in his last big tournament.

There are a couple of choices to be made but for me there is a real sense that they can bring a big-hitting, big-bowling side to England.

They will need to over-perform to beat the favourites but it isn't inconceivable.

As a Hibs fan, there is always an element of romanticism and the thought of Chris Gayle swashbuckling the Windies to triumph is attractive.

Pragmatically, I can't see beyond a SAF-India-England-Australia quartet for the semis, but you never know.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

Russell is in and it's good to see Shannon Gabriel listed, he is a classically big, aggressive Windies bowler whose physique lulls you into forgetting he has a lot of guile and intelligence. I think he will enjoy the English wickets.

Narine misses out, which I'm disappointed about, but he isn't fully fit. Fabian Allen gets the nod ahead of Devendra Bishoo for spin. I've never been too confident about Bishoo. I don't know Allen really at all but he has reasonable T20 figures. Again he is young, will be barely 24 when the tournament starts.

As stated before, this is a Windies squad who are raw, young but full of talent. Shimron Netmyer and Oshane Thomas are my ones to watch - an explosive batsman and a fiercesome bowler. Those two and Shai Hope, who will bat and keep wicket. Hope is potentially the fulcrum for the Windies over the next ten years.

Interesting times for England ahead of their warm-up games for the CWC.

Sam Billings is out injured. Alex Hales surely will not be selected having failed a test for recreational drugs.

They were only ever back-ups. A lot depends on whether Jason Roy stays match-fit. Nevertheless the winners here are James Vince and Joe Denly, neither are convincing ODI players IMO but both will be seeking to burnish their credentials for the Ashes, even if it is a different format.

Denly especially - feels like there is a bit of serendipity here, he has posted some decent innings at bat and can bowl a bit of spin if needed.

England are maybe guilty at Test level of enjoying their wealth of all-rounder talent. Stokes and Moeen with bat and ball, Bairstow and Butler with the bat and gloves. Their real issue for a long time now has been the first three. Since Root is clearly not moving from four then maybe they need to go all in and commit to Denly at three.

I think I posted in the past that they needed to give Jennings a run and stick with him. They haven’t done that and it feels like we are back to the bad old days of English cricket where you play a few games and then drop out.

Hopefully Denly or Vince make a fist of it in the CWC and stake a claim for the Ashes.
    Last edited by Mibbes Aye; 29-04-2019 at 06:39 PM.

Ireland v England ODI on just now, was rain delayed. Shaping up nicely. Ireland batted first and posted 198. Ireland now have England at 66-4 with some fine bowling and some exceptional catching. Still a lot of batting depth for England though.
    Last edited by Mibbes Aye; 03-05-2019 at 04:32 PM.

Should have added that this is nowhere near a full strength England team, though those who aren’t automatic picks are essentially playing to get into the CWC squad.

And Denly falls, 66-5!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mibbes Aye View Post
    Should have added that this is nowhere near a full strength England team, though those who aren’t automatic picks are essentially playing to get into the CWC squad.
    Are you watching it? How did Archer get on?

Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post
    Are you watching it? How did Archer get on?
    A wee bit expensive but that’s understandable on debut.
    His wicket was a beaut, a snorker of a yorker to rip out off stump and dismiss the dangerous-looking Adair.

He looks fast, very fast and that’s on a pitch which isn’t suited. Will look forward to seeing him at the Oval, Perth or Bridgetown at this rate.

Testimonial Due
    Scotland’s first ODI of the year due to start at the Grange this morning against Afghanistan, although the weather isn’t looking friendly. I think I read something about the Afghans missing some of their top guys, possibly still at the IPL.

Quote Originally Posted by hibee62 View Post
    Scotland’s first ODI of the year due to start at the Grange this morning against Afghanistan, although the weather isn’t looking friendly. I think I read something about the Afghans missing some of their top guys, possibly still at the IPL.
    Scotland rained off before it started. England v Pakistan was moving along, Pakistan maybe par after 16 overs which isn’t necessarily good enough against an England side with explosive batting.

Play stopped just now because of a sudden hailstorm but it looks like it will pass relatively quickly.

Young Jofra Archer with a decent start on 1-6 from four overs.

Testimonial Due
    Scotland rained off before it started. England v Pakistan was moving along, Pakistan maybe par after 16 overs which isn’t necessarily good enough against an England side with explosive batting.

Play stopped just now because of a sudden hailstorm but it looks like it will pass relatively quickly.

Young Jofra Archer with a decent start on 1-6 from four overs.
    Weather looking a bit better on Friday as long as the ground dries quickly enough once this band of rain stops.

Testimonial Due
    Scotland v Afghanistan looks like going ahead on time today at the grange. I believe they’re still short of their 2 best due to the IPL so I’m hoping for a Scotland win today. They beat a full strength afghan side convincingly a year ago in the World Cup qualifier.

Testimonial Due
    Scotland made 325/7 but that feels 10-15 runs short. The pitch is good but the boundaries are out a bit compared to last year. Another century for Calum Macleod in there.

Scotland made 325/7 but that feels 10-15 runs short. The pitch is good but the boundaries are out a bit compared to last year. Another century for Calum Macleod in there.
    Well played Macleod.

I’m at home watching a bit of Middlesex-Lancs in the One-Day Cup.

Lancs pretty much on for the win. Particularly impressive has been Saqib Mahmood, a 22-year old fast bowler who I hadn’t heard of before. Tons of pace and gets good movement, even though he is adapting to the Nursery End at Lords.

He doesn’t have many games under his belt but his figures are good. If he can maintain his form then he will be knocking on the door of the Test side at some point soon, which is timely given the age of Anderson and Broad.

Testimonial Due
    Well played Macleod.

I’m at home watching a bit of Middlesex-Lancs in the One-Day Cup.

Lancs pretty much on for the win. Particularly impressive has been Saqib Mahmood, a 22-year old fast bowler who I hadn’t heard of before. Tons of pace and gets good movement, even though he is adapting to the Nursery End at Lords.

He doesn’t have many games under his belt but his figures are good. If he can maintain his form then he will be knocking on the door of the Test side at some point soon, which is timely given the age of Anderson and Broad.
    The game has just been called with Afghanistan 2 ahead on DL, a shame as it was shaping up for a close finish. They were 259/3 off 44.5.

Rahmat shah made a century so I guess he’ll be man of the match. Scotland didn’t really bowl well enough to win though.

The game has just been called with Afghanistan 2 ahead on DL, a shame as it was shaping up for a close finish. They were 259/3 off 44.5.

Rahmat shah made a century so I guess he’ll be man of the match. Scotland didn’t really bowl well enough to win though.
    That’s a shame it didn’t get to a proper conclusion. I’ve not seen much of Afghanistan but when I have they have looked tidy and like you said, they have a few guys good enough to be in the IPL.

Middlesex making a decent fiat of things now, chasing Lancs 304. They are 144-5 after 29 overs but there has been a very good stand for this wicket between Harris and Simpson who have put on around 120 to salvage things from a disastrous start.

Lance can and will bring back Jimmy Anderson and Saqib Mahmood to the attack, which might prove the death knell for the home side.

Oh, and Keaton Jennings notched a 96 for Lancs. There is a bit of a cricketer in there, not sure if it is at Test or limited overs but hopefully England allow him to develop.

Testimonial Due
    That’s a shame it didn’t get to a proper conclusion. I’ve not seen much of Afghanistan but when I have they have looked tidy and like you said, they have a few guys good enough to be in the IPL.

Middlesex making a decent fiat of things now, chasing Lancs 304. They are 144-5 after 29 overs but there has been a very good stand for this wicket between Harris and Simpson who have put on around 120 to salvage things from a disastrous start.

Lance can and will bring back Jimmy Anderson and Saqib Mahmood to the attack, which might prove the death knell for the home side.

Oh, and Keaton Jennings notched a 96 for Lancs. There is a bit of a cricketer in there, not sure if it is at Test or limited overs but hopefully England allow him to develop.
    I think there will come a point with the England openers where they really need to pick 2 and stick with them. Trust their own coaches to help them develop for a year or two. This chopping and changing is helping nobody.

I see Somerset have hammered Worcestershire in the other playoff. They have josh Davey playing for them. Unfortunately I don’t think there’s any current Scotland players left in the RL cup.

I think there will come a point with the England openers where they really need to pick 2 and stick with them. Trust their own coaches to help them develop for a year or two. This chopping and changing is helping nobody.

I see Somerset have hammered Worcestershire in the other playoff. They have josh Davey playing for them. Unfortunately I don’t think there’s any current Scotland players left in the RL cup.
    Think you are absolutely right about the selectors, this has been an issue for England for many years but very pronounced in recent years in terms of the top three.

I sort of like Jennings, not totally convinced but hard to think of competitors. I think England need to take a punt and stick with him and Hameed. And tell Root he has to bat at three. That gives them the space to blood new talent safely at six, in amongst the riches of their middle order.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Think you are absolutely right about the selectors, this has been an issue for England for many years but very pronounced in recent years in terms of the top three.

I sort of like Jennings, not totally convinced but hard to think of competitors. I think England need to take a punt and stick with him and Hameed. And tell Root he has to bat at three. That gives them the space to blood new talent safely at six, in amongst the riches of their middle order.
    The lack of competition for opening batsman is the main problem. I’ve been following cricket for a few years now and England have always had a problem with opening batsmen. Even when Cook was in his prime they struggled to pair someone up with him. Like you I also quite like Jennings and I think he’s worth persisting with, but he needs to start making runs in England as most of his best scores have come on tour.

United we stand here....

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    The lack of competition for opening batsman is the main problem. I’ve been following cricket for a few years now and England have always had a problem with opening batsmen. Even when Cook was in his prime they struggled to pair someone up with him. Like you I also quite like Jennings and I think he’s worth persisting with, but he needs to start making runs in England as most of his best scores have come on tour.
    As you say, it is solving one, two and three for England IMO. They can’t settle on opening bat and like you say, they never solved it when Cook was around. I can’t remember the number of people they tried but it was at least a dozen, I’m sure.

Essentially they haven’t established a strong three. If there was a good enough player to sit at three he would challenge Root being captain. Root needs to bat at three and take responsibility.

Jennings and Hameed to open, then Root and scope to blood youngsters at six knowing you have Bairstow, Stokes, Buttler and Moheed to pile on runs

As you say, it is solving one, two and three for England IMO. They can’t settle on opening bat and like you say, they never solved it when Cook was around. I can’t remember the number of people they tried but it was at least a dozen, I’m sure.

Essentially they haven’t established a strong three. If there was a good enough player to sit at three he would challenge Root being captain. Root needs to bat at three and take responsibility.

Jennings and Hameed to open, then Root and scope to blood youngsters at six knowing you have Bairstow, Stokes, Buttler and Moheed to pile on runs
    There’s an argument to be had that Root should open the batting. I didn’t particularly subscribe to that train of thought when Root was scoring runs, but the runs seem to drying up a bit and the opening batsman problem continues. Joe Clarke and Ben Duckett are the possibilities, but time is running out to try them out.

United we stand here....

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    There’s an argument to be had that Root should open the batting. I didn’t particularly subscribe to that train of thought when Root was scoring runs, but the runs seem to drying up a bit and the opening batsman problem continues. Joe Clarke and Ben Duckett are the possibilities, but time is running out to try them out.
    Oooh, fancy!

Root opening would be intriguing. I would probably shy from that but I definitely think he should own the problem at three. Given the depth England have in batting they could stick Bairstow up top, as they do in the short games.

I like Joe Clarke and I think I’ve called for him to be given a chance before on one of the cricket threads. Between him, Jennings and Hameed there is an opening pair for sure.

Has Clarke actually opened before though? I thought he was middle order, can keep wicket.

England could do with a batsman who can keep in a pinch, bit short on options there

Bit of a delay for rain but England are powering on against Pakistan in the ODI. I don’t think they are going full pelt, they definitely can be more aggressive, but they are clocking up the runs.

This is a strong ODI team and on home soil they have every right to fancy themselves for the CWC. I still fancy a stupid flutter on the Windies as a big outsider and maybe a bet on Australia, now that Smith and Warner are back and in decent form.

Which ultimately means India will win

Morgan and Buttler piling on the runs.

This is what makes England so strong. The middle order can just accelerate things and shift the score positively within a few overs.

Very, very good ODI side.

Massive innings from Buttler, how good is he?

Massive innings from Buttler, how good is he?
    Amazing innings.

I think England should just chuck Jason Roy in as test opener. It wouldn’t be boring.

Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post
    Amazing innings.

I think England should just chuck Jason Roy in as test opener. It wouldn’t be boring.
    Him and Bairstow slogging away would certainly be interesting, but the purists would be absolutely up in arms. I kind of agree as test cricket should always be about the five day battle between batsman and bowler.

United we stand here....