hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My eyes have bled every time we've played on that bloody surface, so its a get rid from me.
    I'm sure there's been a good game on an astro at some point but I can't remember ever seeing one.

2. Log in to remove the advert

What are Hamilton's, killie's and livvy's injuries like this season compared to the rest of the league?

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post
    I'm sure there's been a good game on an astro at some point but I can't remember ever seeing one.
    Likewise - tackling is not the same on the surfaces and games are often tame affairs. Given how long artificial pitches have been with us, the improvement of the surfaces has been minimal given the number of years they’ve been around.

If the players say that they want rid of them, then who are we to argue? I imagine they know best. Like others have said, if this affects the bottom line for some clubs, then they should cut their cloth accordingly.

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    I asked my physio at the time (around 3 years ago) who worked with the women’s SFA team whether the surface caused injuries (remembering the controversy in American Football).
    There was a meeting at Hampden to discuss the number of injuries and the future of artificial pitches. The SFA looked at the evidence (Against) but went for - part of it would be based
    on costs / revenue oops for the smaller clubs.
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

@hibs.net private member
    I disagree. I genuinely feel that artificial pitches are the future.

They are already transforming youth football as the pitches are almost always playable. The bounce is more true and the flatness of them is better on ankles.

I don’t think the link to injury would stand up to proper scrutiny and if it did, then the next generation of pitches will be along soon.

Quote Originally Posted by judas View Post
    I disagree. I genuinely feel that artificial pitches are the future.

They are already transforming youth football as the pitches are almost always playable. The bounce is more true and the flatness of them is better on ankles.

I don’t think the link to injury would stand up to proper scrutiny and if it did, then the next generation of pitches will be along soon.
    The bounce certainly isn’t ‘more true’, literally differs every single time it bounces. It also isn’t better on joints as it’s brick solid underneath with no give.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by May2116 View Post
    The bounce certainly isn’t ‘more true’, literally differs every single time it bounces. It also isn’t better on joints as it’s brick solid underneath with no give.
    Disagree. Your comment on the bounce is at odds with the nature of, well, the natural world. . Grass pitches are not level by design. There are numerous undulations in the surface made worse by damaging contact incurred by anything that passes over it.

Also don’t find the new generation of pitches to be brick hard at all. Having played on a few, I find them to be pretty spongy. Most kids prefer them to grass and I think we can all agree that the wee blighters certainly are the future.

I do think that Livingston have misread the instructions regarding the application of rubber pellets. Far too many on their pitch. Not necessary at all.
    Last edited by judas; 14-02-2019 at 07:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by judas View Post
    Disagree. Your comment on the bounce is at odds with the nature of, well, the natural world. . Grass pitches are not level by design. There are numerous undulations in the surface made worse by damaging contact incurred by anything that passes over it.

Also don’t find the new generation of pitches to be brick hard at all. Having played on a few, I find them to be pretty spongy. Most kids prefer them to grass and I think we can all agree that the wee blighters certainly are the future.
    They feel spongy, but what is the AstroTurf on? Concrete. Kids are unaware of what harm they’ll do to their body. I’ve never had any issues with grass, however turn to Astro and it does all sorts to your joints as there is no give and it’s very unforgiving on your body.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibeesmad View Post
    Outside Scotland are there any plastic pitches in any of the other top leagues around Europe?
    Aren't there loads in Russia?

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by May2116 View Post
    They feel spongy, but what is the AstroTurf on? Concrete. Kids are unaware of what harm they’ll do to their body. I’ve never had any issues with grass, however turn to Astro and it does all sorts to your joints as there is no give and it’s very unforgiving on your body.
    It’s not concrete. There are several layers,the turf and infill, shock absorption, blinding a levelling layer and various layers of gravel right at the base.

Actually I think the only great argument against astro is an environmental one.

So if clubs with artificial pitches are saving/not spending as much as they would be if they had grass does that mean they can then spend more on players giving them an advantage over similar sized clubs that maintain a natural surface?
    Space to let

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    I tend to agree with the injury side of it.

However, I do think that the top level of the sport should be played on grass. In the top league with better TV money the financial aspect shouldn't really come into the equation. Plenty of lower league teams get by with grass.
    I've posted on a few such threads recently on this issue - there is NO scientific evidence to support the claims that these surfaces cause a greater incidence of injuries. Those studies that DID find a relationship presented their findings with the caveat that the newer surfaces with the black pellets (which Livingston, Killie and Hamilton all have) reduce the risk back down to zero.

We live in a Northern climate, where frozen and waterlogged grounds are common. Undersoil heating systems are extortionate to run, and the financial model of most clubs in the top tier preclude their installation and maintenance. Livi lost out last year with a number of their games being postponed during an (albeit) especially hard winter, and their already perilous financial situation from low crowds was hammered by losing games to midweek slots.

Every single club in the top flight has access to train and play on these surfaces - there are zero excuses for these clubs to try and blame artificial pitches for their inadequacies, and the evidence simply doesn't support player claims that they enhance injuries. If anything, they encourage slick, passing football and reduce the impacts of abnormal ball mechanics due to different depths of moisture or frozen ground on 'real' surfaces.

Quote Originally Posted by Sylar View Post
    I've posted on a few such threads recently on this issue - there is NO scientific evidence to support the claims that these surfaces cause a greater incidence of injuries. Those studies that DID find a relationship presented their findings with the caveat that the newer surfaces with the black pellets (which Livingston, Killie and Hamilton all have) reduce the risk back down to zero.

We live in a Northern climate, where frozen and waterlogged grounds are common. Undersoil heating systems are extortionate to run, and the financial model of most clubs in the top tier preclude their installation and maintenance. Livi lost out last year with a number of their games being postponed during an (albeit) especially hard winter, and their already perilous financial situation from low crowds was hammered by losing games to midweek slots.

Every single club in the top flight has access to train and play on these surfaces - there are zero excuses for these clubs to try and blame artificial pitches for their inadequacies, and the evidence simply doesn't support player claims that they enhance injuries. If anything, they encourage slick, passing football and reduce the impacts of abnormal ball mechanics due to different depths of moisture or frozen ground on 'real' surfaces.
    Yes, I also agree that the claims of increased risk of injury are dubious.

To be honest, I didn't realise how expensive undersoil heating was until I googled it there. Initially I thought it wouldn't be much different from heating a house, but it actually it's not really comparable.

But regardless, I think the general feeling is that the only reason artificial pitches are used in Scotland are due to the poor state of the game financially. In that sense it makes the game look a bit amateurish. At the end of the day, grass is the superior surface when you have the ability to invest in it properly.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylar View Post

As far as I am aware none of the studies have included playing and longevity of training on these surfaces, or the affects later in life of high intensity regular use of synthetic pitches..

Perhaps more importantly, professionals regularly say that they feel more sore after games on these surfaces, and recovery takes longer....a very common set of themes when you hear pros talk about these pitches..makes me feel there is a difference being experienced on them

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hamilton have survived in the premier league through an unfair advantage which is their crappy little pitch. Community use etc I just can't believe, do Killie really open their ground at night for a group of ten year olds to have a kick about? How much do they charge them? Does it cover the cost of the floodlights and staff?
    Fitba is meant for grass - end off.

If you’re a top flight football club that can’t afford grass, you shouldn’t be a football club

If there was any truth to artificial pitches being better for the game and athlete's, then we'd see them in the EPL, La Liga and Serie A. The EPL and as far as I'm aware, Championship have all grass pitches and have the same weather as us. Grass has been and always will be the best conditions to play on.

@hibs.net private member
    If we had the money in Scotland that all of the top nations have such as epl, championship, la liga etc then I'm sure we would all be able to afford fantastic grass pitches. If you look at some of the excuses for grass pitches we've had to play on over the past few years such as Pittodrie, Tannadice, tynecastle etc then it's no wonder some clubs have went down the artificial route. Celtic have a fantastic grass pitch because the have the money to install a hybrid pitch with all of the lighting equipment to help it grow throughout the year and a small army of groundstaff. Unfortunately most other clubs can't afford to do that. Imagine clubs saying to fans that we can't buy this or that new player because we're spending our money on extra groundstaff and fancy lighting rigs. I think it's just the players union reminding us they're still there 😁

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitHibs View Post
    If there was any truth to artificial pitches being better for the game and athlete's, then we'd see them in the EPL, La Liga and Serie A. The EPL and as far as I'm aware, Championship have all grass pitches and have the same weather as us. Grass has been and always will be the best conditions to play on.
    It's the best surface to play on if it's a good grass pitch. Give me a game on astro over a game on a mud bath or a dry bare pitch any day.

Quote Originally Posted by samcrowe View Post
    It's the best surface to play on if it's a good grass pitch. Give me a game on astro over a game on a mud bath or a dry bare pitch any day.
    Can't argue with that, nothing worse than a dry bare pitch.

Livingston fc don't own their pitch though. Would they get permission to rip it up?

I don't feel the same as most on here as we have many in Sweden and the kids grow up on them- and they haven't held us back as a nation.

Quote Originally Posted by Swedish hibee View Post
    I don't feel the same as most on here as we have many in Sweden and the kids grow up on them- and they haven't held us back as a nation.
    Exactly, a lot of the complaining is based on nothing except pre-conceived prejudices and the need to complain. I'm certainly not seeing much in the way of scientific data......

Quote Originally Posted by HappyAsHellas View Post
    Hamilton have survived in the premier league through an unfair advantage which is their crappy little pitch. Community use etc I just can't believe, do Killie really open their ground at night for a group of ten year olds to have a kick about? How much do they charge them? Does it cover the cost of the floodlights and staff?
    Fitba is meant for grass - end off.
    Kilmarnock do lease it out and the Livi pitch was funded by the community foundation.

So you could argue it’s an unfair advantage as they apply for funding and that helps provide a new pitch. There will be maintenance costs.

Using a stadium to help community I’m not against and 3G pitches are good to help during winter months. But what I agree is the standard of 3G and grass.

Grass pitches aren’t always perfect and Easter Road last week against Raith was bumpy. Think back to Hearts last season and Motherwell when they both had awful pitches.

The key is the quality of surface and England are more strict hence you rarely see a bad pitch on TV as it affects the product.

Testimonial Due
    If a club can’t afford to maintain a grass pitch they should adjust their playing budget accordingly until they can afford it. If that means clubs like Hamilton and Livi become uncompetitive then it just puts them on a level playing field with other clubs in their position.

I grew up playing competitively exclusively on grass but in my 20s and 30s have increasingly alternated between matches on grass and 4G - in my experience the artificial surfaces are far less forgiving on your body. Whether that's causing injuries (and my gut is that it contributes) or just general stiffness and soreness, there is absolutely a difference in the way your body reacts when playing on 3G/4G and you feel that in the following days after playing.

Having said that, I love playing on them. I personally find the surface conducive to good football, whereas matches on grass in this country so often descend into muddy battles played in the air. This will of course be less of an issue at the top level, where the grass pitches are in great nick. But in terms of future technical development, I certainly think kids will learn a lot more training on 4G than on a typical winter grass pitch. It may also be that younger guys who have grown up on these pitches are also physically better adapted to doing so, and my comments above will no longer apply in future.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HoboHarry View Post
    Exactly, a lot of the complaining is based on nothing except pre-conceived prejudices and the need to complain. I'm certainly not seeing much in the way of scientific data......
    I have no pre conceived ideas on the surface, if its good enough then its fine by me. I think in years to come we will all be playing football on a synthetic surface.

My problem with it is i have not seen one good game where i have enjoyed it, either live or on tv and that is why i dont like it.

I like to take a pragmatic rather than a prescriptive approach.
    It's a bit like when the league made all clubs in the top league have 10.000 seats.
    That was plain daft and the pitch argument is similar.
    However, IMO a synthetic pitch with not many fans at the game makes our top league look Micky Mouse on the telly.

I see Kilmarnock as a team who will spend the vast majority of time in the top league.
    Accordingly they should have a grass pitch.

Hamilton and Livingston are small operations which will spend the majority of their time in the 2nd tier and i would therefore allow them to have a synthetic pitch.

Common sense and a degree of pragmatism has to be applied.

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    I have no pre conceived ideas on the surface, if its good enough then its fine by me. I think in years to come we will all be playing football on a synthetic surface.

My problem with it is i have not seen one good game where i have enjoyed it, either live or on tv and that is why i dont like it.
    Nothing wrong with having that opinion BH. The problem that I see is that that is all the players are doing too - they are telling anyone who will listen that they should be banned but are offering no scientific data in addition to neglecting the fairly major issue of FIFA approving the pitches (as Steve Clarke himself has said). As usual the PFA are making a lot of noise and accomplishing nothing.