hibs.net Messageboard

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tug Wilson View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Agreed. Often we hear people saying that the new manager needs to know the Scottish game. Very insular way of looking in my opinion. We need someone who has fresh ideas and brings impetus to the club. I am neither under or over whelmed. Simply do not know enough about the man to comment. He has significant managerial experience. Both good and bad. He seems intelligent and confident. I can see the players taking to him.

It would be fair to say you are whelmed by this appointment.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Hector Mudflap View Post
    I had hoped Stubbs would come back and that the feel good factor would return to the Club. It may well just be me but I definitely felt that the club was on a high and the supporters were finally behind the club when Stubbs and Doolan were here. It decreased under Lennon and Was not particularly bothered when he left/was sacked. Stubbs win rate was way above Lennons and the vast majority of managers we had been used to and for that reason I was hoping that we would look to get him back. Let's face it he was always going to say yes and he knew a lot of the players.
    We now have a guy (possibly second choice) I have never heard of and as someone else pointed out that may be my lack of knowledge on the English game but I think it was the wrong choice especially as we are in a very dangerous period. We need success to keep the stands full and the team buoyant. I would be extremely surprised if the players had heard of him.
    They have to be at least respectful of the manger if not in awe.

To say I am worried is an understatement.
    I wasn't keen on Appleton either for all the same reasons but when a man changes his mind based on his sacking payment(if that is indeed true) then that for me is a reason to not employ him.

I dearly hope that Im wrong but fans are not known for patience and I figure he will not get anywhere near the time to settle that Stubbs would have.

worried.

Do you really think Stubbs guarantees success? I doubt any managerial appointment at Hibs could 'guarantee' success, although our definitions of success might differ greatly. Also, there are quite a lot of players who have arrived since Stubbs departure. Definitely not the same squad. Would any of our players be in awe of Stubbs? Respectful of a manger should be expected but why would you think our players will respect Heckingbottom less than any other manager. Rotherham and St Mirren versus Barnsley and Leeds? I don't think the players will be too concerned about the managers employment history but rather what the manager/coach is trying to implement and there is no reason to expect the personal relationships between the new coaching staff and players will be any less productive.

And as far as the fans not known for their patience....at last something we can all agree on :) But it might be reasoned that Heckingbottom will be given more time as Stubbs would be the one expected to achieve more sooner because of his past association with the club. However, I feel no matter who it is, the results and style of play will determine how patient the fans are. But let's give the man a good run at it. And why bring the negative of an another candidates contract issues into Heckingbottoms appointment. Obviously not an issue for the latter.

A very dangerous period? A little melodramatic for me, although it might have been a good beginning for a Dickens novel.

'It was a very dangerous period....it was a very safe period'
    'It was a time of the Top 6...it was a time of the Bottom 6'

Good luck Messrs. Heckingbottom and Stockdale.

Quote Originally Posted by CapitalGreen View Post
    Why would you need 3 season ticket seats!? what size are you?
    😁it's called family but don't always sit in the same seats 😊

Quote Originally Posted by SanFranHibs View Post
    Do you really think Stubbs guarantees success? I doubt any managerial appointment at Hibs could 'guarantee' success, although our definitions of success might differ greatly. Also, there are quite a lot of players who have arrived since Stubbs departure. Definitely not the same squad. Would any of our players be in awe of Stubbs? Respectful of a manger should be expected but why would you think our players will respect Heckingbottom less than any other manager. Rotherham and St Mirren versus Barnsley and Leeds? I don't think the players will be too concerned about the managers employment history but rather what the manager/coach is trying to implement and there is no reason to expect the personal relationships between the new coaching staff and players will be any less productive.

And as far as the fans not known for their patience....at last something we can all agree on :) But it might be reasoned that Heckingbottom will be given more time as Stubbs would be the one expected to achieve more sooner because of his past association with the club. However, I feel no matter who it is, the results and style of play will determine how patient the fans are. But let's give the man a good run at it. And why bring the negative of an another candidates contract issues into Heckingbottoms appointment. Obviously not an issue for the latter.

A very dangerous period? A little melodramatic for me, although it might have been a good beginning for a Dickens novel.

'It was a very dangerous period....it was a very safe period'
    'It was a time of the Top 6...it was a time of the Bottom 6'

Good luck Messrs. Heckingbottom and Stockdale.

Read this and thought of Chumbawumba! LOL

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by underscore View Post
    The passing....the moving.... the tempo
    I think the guy was talking about appointments and Collins had no experience hence underwhelmed. The moving, passing and tempo came after he joined and was greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by sambajustice View Post
    I confess I had to look this up. Or them as I found out.

Thought their other names were interesting....

Also known as:
    Skin Disease, Antidote (with The Ex), Scab Aid, Sportchestra, The Middle (as a hoax)

@hibs.net private member
    Indeed yep that's my life as a Hibs fan.
    In my line of work I have met many many people with degrees and diplomas in all sorts or associated fields who have brought nothing to the position other than those "paper proofs". A masters degree in a sports theory doesn't really count for much IMvHO.
    I'm only saying the truth in how I feel. I wholeheartedly hope that I am wrong.
    Had he been the messiah for Leeds and left after years of success and having brought them cups and titles then of course I would feel differently. I'm pretty sure thats human nature. I don't think there are many on here that are absolutely jumping with excitement with the appointment which they may well have been with a household name. Leeds gave him a couple of months before making the call which is also worrying. Though I suppose you would say "Look at Brian Clough" however BC was very much a household name and the Leeds fans definitely were jumping up and down when they landed him.

Again, I hope I'm wrong but I am very underwhelmed.
    Time is not something football fans give players let alone unheard of managers.
    If that had happened he wouldn't be here would he?

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Folk I've spoken to today seem a bit apprehensive about Heckingbottom, but that's only because they, like myself, have no idea how it will go. He's an unknown quantity. I get the feeling he will need to make a good start, in order to win the fans over.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

Won't bother with the links but seen the journos are all about PH all of a sudden.

Nothing to do with 2nd choice, gone are all the stalling and other derisory remarks.

What a difference a day makes.

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    I didn't post at the time but two people I know told me a week and a half ago that if we got PH it would be a great appointment. One has connections to Morton and the other is a Jambo. Both spoke very highly of him and had only heard good of things about his coaching and methods. Fingers crossed that it works out. Welcome aboard Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia&Alba View Post
    Folk I've spoken to today seem a bit apprehensive about Heckingbottom, but that's only because they, like myself, have no idea how it will go. He's an unknown quantity. I get the feeling he will need to make a good start, in order to win the fans over.
    He's an unknown quantity? Seriously? Maybe at Hibs. Just as every other manager is when they join us.

I feel a bit sorry for people who genuinely can't be positive and optimistic about this. Especially after what we've just endured over the last few months.

First time in a while I'm buzzing for Saturday. And it's only Hamilton!

Appreciate though that everyone has different views.

I also think the feelgood factor needs to be re-established very quickly. We had become used (at least up to earlier on this season) to a certain style of football from Stubbs and then Lennon: and the SCF and promotion followed by 4th spot led to record STs and highest average gates for decades. That can unravel as quickly as it built up so this appointment needs to work pretty much from the off.

I'm hopeful rather than confident that Heckingbottom can take us back up the league and do it in an entertaining manner.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by sambajustice View Post
    If we get knocked down, we get up again cause it’s never going to keep us down 👍

Is he going to have "media commitments" like Lennon had?

With a name like Heckingbottom, I'm hoping he doesn't have to sod off back to Yorkshire to cover the sheepdog trials or anything like that.

And can we always have the Hovis advert music playing in the background during his after match interviews?

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    Is he going to have "media commitments" like Lennon had?

With a name like Heckingbottom, I'm hoping he doesn't have to sod off back to Yorkshire to cover the sheepdog trials or anything like that.

And can we always have the Hovis advert music playing in the background during his after match interviews?
    Heartbeat song when we pump them at Easter Road will be decent 👍

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    I really like the way he was speaking about being obsessive about tactics, reading about 10 ways to beat Sarri's 433 at Napoli and so on.
    Pffft, last time we played napoli we pumped them 5-0 😀😀

Quote Originally Posted by SquashedFrogg View Post
    He's an unknown quantity? Seriously? Maybe at Hibs. Just as every other manager is when they join us.

I feel a bit sorry for people who genuinely can't be positive and optimistic about this. Especially after what we've just endured over the last few months.

First time in a while I'm buzzing for Saturday. And it's only Hamilton!

Appreciate though that everyone has different views.
    Heckingbottom isn't just unknown amongst the Hibs support. Very few people outside of Barnsley and Leeds will know much of him. It's totally understandable, therefore, that a lot of fans are reserving judgement. It's a bold appointment by the board; it would have been safer for them to go for a more established name.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Indeed yep that's my life as a Hibs fan.
    In my line of work I have met many many people with degrees and diplomas in all sorts or associated fields who have brought nothing to the position other than those "paper proofs". A masters degree in a sports theory doesn't really count for much IMvHO.
    I'm only saying the truth in how I feel. I wholeheartedly hope that I am wrong.
    Had he been the messiah for Leeds and left after years of success and having brought them cups and titles then of course I would feel differently. I'm pretty sure thats human nature. I don't think there are many on here that are absolutely jumping with excitement with the appointment which they may well have been with a household name. Leeds gave him a couple of months before making the call which is also worrying. Though I suppose you would say "Look at Brian Clough" however BC was very much a household name and the Leeds fans definitely were jumping up and down when they landed him.

Again, I hope I'm wrong but I am very underwhelmed.
    Time is not something football fans give players let alone unheard of managers.
    It's not just the masters degree though, he's got hundreds, probably thousands of coaching hours at a very good level under his belt as well.

I think his degree was sports coaching, rather than sports theory as well, by the way.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Heckingbottom isn't just unknown amongst the Hibs support. Very few people outside of Barnsley and Leeds will know much of him. It's totally understandable, therefore, that a lot of fans are reserving judgement. It's a bold appointment by the board; it would have been safer for them to go for a more established name.
    I like that approach.

Don't be blinded by fame or reputation but give every candidate an equal chance.

I have good feeling about him but like everyone else I'll reserve judgment.

I had hoped Stubbs would come back and that the feel good factor would return to the Club. It may well just be me but I definitely felt that the club was on a high and the supporters were finally behind the club when Stubbs and Doolan were here. It decreased under Lennon and Was not particularly bothered when he left/was sacked. Stubbs win rate was way above Lennons and the vast majority of managers we had been used to and for that reason I was hoping that we would look to get him back. Let's face it he was always going to say yes and he knew a lot of the players.
    We now have a guy (possibly second choice) I have never heard of and as someone else pointed out that may be my lack of knowledge on the English game but I think it was the wrong choice especially as we are in a very dangerous period. We need success to keep the stands full and the team buoyant. I would be extremely surprised if the players had heard of him.
    They have to be at least respectful of the manger if not in awe.

To say I am worried is an understatement.
    I wasn't keen on Appleton either for all the same reasons but when a man changes his mind based on his sacking payment(if that is indeed true) then that for me is a reason to not employ him.

I dearly hope that Im wrong but fans are not known for patience and I figure he will not get anywhere near the time to settle that Stubbs would have.

worried.
    Of course the players will have heard of him. What does it matter anyway if you or anyone else hasn’t heard of him? I’ve got every confidence the board have chosen who they think is the best person for the job and as supporters, we all need to get behind him and the team.

@hibs.net private member
    I like that approach.

Don't be blinded by fame or reputation but give every candidate an equal chance.

I agree with this . There is a lot of good people around the club. This appointment will have been well researched and assessed. For him to get the role it is because he has shined around the ethos and criteria they were looking for. Reminds me a bit of the Mowbray appointment - if he gets anywhere near that performance level , then we will be well happy

First Team Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by heid the baw View Post
    This is the best post I've read in months.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Another club offered money for him which we turned down and had to sack him a couple months later. Petrie's worst decision.
    But the consensus on here at the time was to back Petrie's decision IIRC

Perhaps. It's certainly a risky appointment, given his mixed managerial record, lack of knowledge of the Scottish game, and being out of a job for so long. We've no idea what criteria Hibs set for the appointment. It could just as easily be that all the "established" names were a lot more demanding in transfer funds, personal terms etc, which Hibs baulked at. Who knows.

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    I like that approach.

Indeed.

The guys made a bit of a leap into the unknown as well.

Seems confident and could well ruin him if he gets it wrong here so I'm happy to see what he can do rather than judge him before he's started.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

Quote Originally Posted by heid the baw View Post

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    It's not just the masters degree though, he's got hundreds, probably thousands of coaching hours at a very good level under his belt as well.

I think his degree was sports coaching, rather than sports theory as well, by the way.
    I think a masters degree shows a level of commitment and intelligence to complete that course which IMO many other coaches would struggle to complete. No way IMO can it be seen as anything other than a positive. It also provides a much higher level of understanding in the field he is working in.

Quote Originally Posted by Onion View Post
    Perhaps. It's certainly a risky appointment, given his mixed managerial record, lack of knowledge of the Scottish game, and being out of a job for so long. We've no idea what criteria Hibs set for the appointment. It could just as easily be that all the "established" names were a lot more demanding in transfer funds, personal terms etc, which Hibs baulked at. Who knows.
    True, it's something of a risk. I really think he needs to get off to a good start.

Just home from my travels and haven’t quite had finger on the pulse on who was going to be appointed.
    Appleton was a shoe in last time I checked.

Anyhow, welcome Paul and Robbie.

As with all new managerial appointments, Paul has the “potential” to become the greatest manager Easter Road has ever seen. Dare I hope this to be the case? It will happen one day.

GGTTH

Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    Heckingbottom’s green and white army!
    BTW - I envy whoever has the task of trying to squeeze that into an up to date .Net emoji. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Bostonhibby View Post
    Indeed.

The guys made a bit of a leap into the unknown as well.

Seems confident and could well ruin him if he gets it wrong here so I'm happy to see what he can do rather than judge him before he's started.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk
    Calderwood also took a leap .

This guy was long-term unemployed, kicked out of his last job and there were few signs of clubs knocking his door down with offers. Fact is we've no clue how this guy will do at Hibs. Those thinking he'll bomb are just as right as those who are convinced he'll do well at this stage. We have a decent squad of players at ER, so we'll find out before the end of the season if he's up to the job, unlike most others before him who have had a rebuilding job to do. Really hope he does well, but he's got little time to prove himself.