hibs.net Messageboard

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    I hope to heck for his sake he hits the ground running, as the overall feeling I get on this board about this managerial appointment is, underwhelmed, it wont take long for folk to get on his case I feel.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil MaGlass View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I hope to heck for his sake he hits the ground running, as the overall feeling I get on this board about this managerial appointment is, underwhelmed, it wont take long for folk to get on his case I feel.
    I’m sure we all do..and I will give him and the team 100 percent support . It’s not surprising there is a mixed reaction . It would appear he wasn’t the first choice, albeit remained in the process the whole time . Perhaps more importantly, there isn’t much about his background to suggest he is the exceptional candidate ..mind you Mowbray’s appointment was received in a similar fashion - so let’s hope he has the same impact

Quote Originally Posted by JOD View Post
    Totally under whelmed by this.

PAUL ??????

After one of our best managers ever spoke out about the lack of ambition
    at our club to compete at the highest level (Scottish)

It just shows me again where our ambitions lye

GTF Leanne
    If NL was one of the best ever managers we've had then youll need to re write the history books for Hibs.

I enjoyed his tenure but "One of the best ever"? Really???

I’m not so sure. Whilst many of us know little about him the vast majority of Hibs fans will give him a fair bit of time to find his feet. As a group of fans we do tend to be more understanding and patient than we give ourselves credit for. The noise on social media and here can often distort the reality of what is actually happening in the stands.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    I’m sure we all do..and I will give him and the team 100 percent support . It’s not surprising there is a mixed reaction . It would appear he wasn’t the first choice, albeit remained in the process the whole time . Perhaps more importantly, there isn’t much about his background to suggest he is the exceptional candidate ..mind you Mowbray’s appointment was received in a similar fashion - so let’s hope he has the same impact
    100% backing fae me, especially since I am home for his first game in charge

Quote Originally Posted by heid the baw View Post
    Underwhelmed but then the last guy was always going to be a hard act to follow.
    Have to get behind him because he is the Hibs manager because that's what fans do.
    The whole process from the suspension right through has been one of expense we didn't need, and no one can say we have benefitted from switching managers.
    Nothing in his interview inspired me. He sounds every bit like a second choice. I hope he is better at inspiring professional footballers.
    The last guy left our squad in a right state with some shocking signings and scrambling to get top 6.

Quite an easy act to follow.

@hibs.net private member The Spaceman's Avatar
    Good luck to you Paul!

3 1/2 years contract, hope we have a get out of jail card if he turns out to be Butcheresque

Quote Originally Posted by BouncerRoss View Post
    Welcome Paul, you have my full support.

Have to be honest and say I am feeling massively underwhelmed though. I notice LD mentions “fitting into the structure” again, so she has her yes man. Last chance for LD and her structure. Get the impression we did not get our man and would have preferred leaving May as interim until end of season (that’s if he’d agree) and take our time over this.

Also, 3.5 year deal surprises me a lot, particularly in the modern football era. Presume there must be some form of clause that we can terminate contract for nothing/reduced package if certain objectives are not met.
    Why is it the last chance? Apart from this season her structure has worked very well.

Coaching Staff
    Welcome, Paul and Robbie!

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Why is it the last chance? Apart from this season her structure has worked very well.
    If it fails this time, over the next season and a half, which presumably will be the minimum PH will be given you would feel the same?

That’s not what I want to happen FWIW!

Agree.

I'm not sure this seasons disaster is the fault of the club structure. Unless the structure was picking the team and motivating the players.

Structure is fine.

Quote Originally Posted by marinello59 View Post
    I’m not so sure. Whilst many of us know little about him the vast majority of Hibs fans will give him a fair bit of time to find his feet. As a group of fans we do tend to be more understanding and patient than we give ourselves credit for. The noise on social media and here can often distort the reality of what is actually happening in the stands.
    We tend to be more understanding and patient than we give ourselves credit for?

We hounded out yogi, fenlon and mixu, people wanted Stubbs out before the the Scottish cup, people wanted Lennon out last season before we had qualified for Europe.

This guy if he loses a couple of games is going to be under pressure straight away, I hope not but it's the feeling I get given the reaction to his appointment.

Coaching Staff
    Yeah - in Leeann's time here we've only had a Scottish Cup win, promotion and Europe.

Testimonial Due The Harp Awakes's Avatar
    Exactly right. Both Head Coach and assistant out of a job since mid 2018, and not a great amount of managerial experience between them and what they have is patchy. If you were being critical you'd say a cheap option by Hibs. If you were being optimistic you'd say the Board have got it right with their last 2 appointments so every chance of success this time.

Have to say I'm very sceptical this will work out, but we all need to get behind the new guys. Welcome both.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by pacoluna View Post

We hounded out yogi, fenlon and mixu, people wanted Stubbs out before the the Scottish cup, people wanted Lennon out last season before we had qualified for Europe.

This guy if he loses a couple of games is going to be under pressure straight away, I hope not but it's the feeling I get given the reaction to his appointment.
    The "I told you so" merchants are sharpening their pencils right now...

You're right - people have no patience. I wonder what the reaction will be on Saturday at the first misplaced pass?

It seems he likes to play a high pressing game you know the way some teams do to us ! There will be a few players with tired legs after training i think, good luck to the new man.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by The Harp Awakes View Post
    Exactly right. Both Head Coach and assistant out of a job since mid 2018, and not a great amount of managerial experience between them. If you were being critical you'd say a cheap option by Hibs. If you were being optimistic you'd say the Board have got it right with their last 2 appointments so every chance of success this time.

Have to say I'm very sceptical this will work out, but we all need to get behind the new guys. Welcome both.
    Stubbs and Mowbray between them didn't have as much management experience as Heckingbottom.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by GloryGlory View Post
    Yeah - in Leeann's time here we've only had a Scottish Cup win, promotion and Europe.
    And record attendances, and the youth team winning the double.

Hardly strikes me as evidence of a failing system.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

A new dawn over Easter Road. I reckon, if nothing else, the players might start enjoying their football again.

Quote Originally Posted by The Harp Awakes View Post
    Exactly right. Both Head Coach and assistant out of a job since mid 2018, and not a great amount of managerial experience between them and what they have is patchy. If you were being critical you'd say a cheap option by Hibs. If you were being optimistic you'd say the Board have got it right with their last 2 appointments so every chance of success this time.

Our best two managers in recent years, Mowbray and Stubbs, had no managerial experience at all.

Yes being serious.

Its about when to press, being in the right position and doing it with aggression.

Mackie, Horgan and Slivka played a massive role in how we played against Celtic with the high press and being in there face.

McNulty and Kamberi can get get and if coaches could be a nightmare to play against in that system.

Milligan will sit deeper, organise those around him and enforce the press.

Stevenson and Gray always have energy to get forward and press the opposition.

Granted it’s not ideal, but for what he is after I think that’s the team that would do it.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BouncerRoss View Post
    Welcome Paul, you have my full support.

Have to be honest and say I am feeling massively underwhelmed though. I notice LD mentions “fitting into the structure” again, so she has her yes man. Last chance for LD and her structure. Get the impression we did not get our man and would have preferred leaving May as interim until end of season (that’s if he’d agree) and take our time over this.

Also, 3.5 year deal surprises me a lot, particularly in the modern football era. Presume there must be some form of clause that we can terminate contract for nothing/reduced package if certain objectives are not met.
    The "structure" is what permitted the smooth transition between Stubbs and Lennon.

In the past, each new manager would change the set up from top to bottom, often bringing in mates to take over various coaching positions, etc. In addition they would often have to cull the playing squad, trying desperately to offload mediocre players brought in using the previous manager's contacts.

Obviously any new person is going to change things a bit, but the idea is to bring in 1st team coaches who adhere to the system in place - one which is tried and tested throughout Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    And record attendances, and the youth team winning the double.

Hardly strikes me as evidence of a failing system.
    System works perfectly. Manager runs out of ideas. System is broken.

Quote Originally Posted by G B Young View Post
    I felt the same but if you haven't already it's worth taking the time to watch the whole of his first interview. Hard not to warm to the guy.
    I have just listened to it and yes it is a good interview and he does speak well but I honestly don't place a huge amount of importance on manager interviews. I've heard too many over the years that have said all the right things but then it doesn't transfer onto the pitch.

I thought a lot of the questions he was being asked were basically consisting of the interviewer giving him the answer as part of the question and asking if he agreed with it, rather than asking open questions that required Heckingbottom to actually think about his own answer. That's not his fault but I felt the interviewer could have done better.

I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do with this squad for the rest of the season. If he can get us playing the type of football he talks about then I'll be delighted.

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    Roll on Saturday.

Another chapter in the proud history of our Club is about to open.

Best of luck Paul and Robbie!

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Bear View Post
    Roll on Saturday.

Another chapter in the proud history of our Club is about to open.

Best of luck Paul and Robbie!

100% this.

This will be my first free weekend this year. I'll need to use all my cunning to ensure that whatever my wife and kids have in mind for me leaves me free to watch the match.

Quote Originally Posted by pacoluna View Post

Yogi, Mixu and Fenlon in particular had much more than a couple of games to prove themselves.
    I don't remember any groundswell of opinion wanting Lennon out last season. You've simply made that bit up.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

Welcome to Hibernian Heckles 👍

Quote Originally Posted by marinello59 View Post
    Yogi, Mixu and Fenlon in particular had much more than a couple of games to prove themselves.
    I don't remember any groundswell of opinion wanting Lennon out last season. You've simply made that bit up.
    Fenlon should have been got shot of way before he finally departed. It's a myth that we adopt a hire 'em and fire 'em approach to managers. If anything we hang onto them too long and are too reluctant to pull the trigger until our hand is finally forced for whatever reason. Calderwood is a classic example; his results were woeful and he was actively taking the piss but we hung onto him in the hope that another club (was it Forrest?) would come in and take him of our hands gratis.