hibs.net Messageboard

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar

Paul Scholes new Oldham manager

What a player that wee man was. Hope it goes well for him at the club he supports, and what a coup for Latics. I wish we had got him; that would be a name to excite the fans, akin to Rangers getting Gerrard. If Oldham, in League Two, can get someone like that, surely we can.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

2. Log in to remove the advert

Disaster waiting to happen. First job should never be coming in mid season. Glad we didn't get him. He'll need time he wouldn't get that here.

I only want to say the Scottish Cup is in the bag... Sir David Gray's Avatar
    Really hope he can do well there. If he gets them playing in his image then what a team they will be.

One of the best midfielders I have ever seen, his range of passing was simply world class. Time will tell if he'll make a good manager.
    HIBERNIAN F.C. - SCOTTISH CUP WINNERS 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia&Alba View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What a player that wee man was. Hope it goes well for him at the club he supports, and what a coup for Latics. I wish we had got him; that would be a name to excite the fans, akin to Rangers getting Gerrard. If Oldham, in League Two, can get someone like that, surely we can.
    You have to imagine he's had plenty offers to manage bigger clubs than Oldham so I guess the fact he's a fan was a big factor in their favour. Otherwise, yes, I agree he would have been an exciting option for Hibs to consider.

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia&Alba View Post
    Heís a big name yes, but from what Wikipedia says he in essence doesnít appear to have done any real coaching before. He may be a success but strikes me as PR coup for Oldham more than anything.

He scores. Goals galore. Good luck Scholesy.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by G B Young View Post
    You have to imagine he's had plenty offers to manage bigger clubs than Oldham so I guess the fact he's a fan was a big factor in their favour. Otherwise, yes, I agree he would have been an exciting option for Hibs to consider.
    So why has he not taken them then.

Quote Originally Posted by gorgiegreens View Post
    So why has he not taken them then.
    Sensibly starting at the botton unlike Henry and Neville?

Bearing in mind he,was going to take that job 18m ago. He is from Oldham so for him its his dream job

@hibs.net private member LancsHibs's Avatar
    He is part owner of Salford City FC along with his mates, Salford are knocking on the door of promotion to league 2. How can he own one club and manage another in the same league? Conflict of interest surly?

Quote Originally Posted by LancsHibs View Post
    He is part owner of Salford City FC along with his mates, Salford are knocking on the door of promotion to league 2. How can he own one club and manage another in the same league? Conflict of interest surly?
    As he owns 10%, it's not a breach under league rules.

Sent from my G3311 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless View Post
    As he owns 10%, it's not a breach under league rules.

Be Interesting when Oldham play Salford next season!

Be Interesting when Oldham play Salford next season!
    He'll have been sacked by then.

Pun Lovin' Criminal Northernhibee's Avatar
    My all time favourite player and Iím not even a Manchester United fan. Just sublime.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

He resigned as a director to take the Oldham job. Still a conflict of interest I'd say though.
    Cougars!!!

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HH81 View Post
    He resigned as a director to take the Oldham job. Still a conflict of interest I'd say though.
    Thing about CofI is that it's not just about conforming to the rules, it's about being "seen" to not have one. Therefore those who might have one often have to go that extra bit to satisfy any interested parties.

In something as emotional as football, with all its accusations of shady practices, there's always going to be talk about Scholes having a foot in both camps. Even if he were to give up his shareholding in Salford, people (on both sides) will still "talk."

Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    Thing about CofI is that it's not just about conforming to the rules, it's about being "seen" to not have one. Therefore those who might have one often have to go that extra bit to satisfy any interested parties.

In something as emotional as football, with all its accusations of shady practices, there's always going to be talk about Scholes having a foot in both camps. Even if he were to give up his shareholding in Salford, people (on both sides) will still "talk."
    Correct. My understanding is he has resigned his directorship at Salford but retains 10% ownership?? Just playing games to satisfy the shady EFL (an organisation that one of its clubs owners, a convicted rapist does not fall foul of their fit and proper person rules!) this may appease the EFL but still attracts suspicion. It may well be academic if Salford fail to get promoted and never play in the same league as Oldham but if they do....