hibs.net Messageboard

@hibs.net private member Alfiembra's Avatar

Am I Mr Invisible?

Probably an age thing, but I'm finding more and more these days that when walking I always seem to be the person that waits to let someone pass, makes a detour around or moves to one side to make way for what I would describe as ignorant sods that haven't got any sense of whats happening around them

In my office for example we have a keep left policy so in corridors and stairways you can pass one another without issue, but there always seems to be a group of people (men and/or women) walking 2 or sometimes 3 abreast taking the whole corridor width, talking and oblivious to anyone approaching them. I've recently taken to standing my ground and letting them bump into me or wait till they suddenly realise there's an obstruction and they have to "give way" I usually receive a how dare you stand in front of me glare.

Similarly the amount of people that want to stop on stairs or at a doorway and have a chat with a mate, again oblivious to anone trying to get past.

I don't get any satisfaction out of doing this but what else can you do? I have however learned to my cost to never take on a wifey pushing a shopping trolley, carrying bags or pushing a buggie.

Anyone know if there's an "I want to walk in a straight line" support group?
    Last edited by Alfiembra; 11-02-2019 at 12:42 PM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

People that find it impossible to leave their phones in their pockets whilst walking along the pavement display a similar disregard to what's going on around them.

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfiembra View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Probably an age thing, but I'm finding more and more these days that when walking I always seem to be the person that waits to let someone pass, makes a detour around or moves to one side to make way for what I would describe as ignorant sods that haven't got any sense of whats happening around them

In my office for example we have a keep left policy so in corridors and stairways you can pass one another without issue, but there always seems to be a group of people (men and/or women) walking 2 or sometimes 3 abreast taking the whole corridor width, talking and oblivious to anyone approaching them. I've recently taken to standing my ground and letting them bump into me or wait till they suddenly realise there's an obstruction and they have to "give way" I usually receive a how dare you stand in front of me glare.

Similarly the amount of people that want to stop on stairs or at a doorway and have a chat with a mate, again oblivious to anone trying to get past.

I don't get any satisfaction out of doing this but what else can you do? I have however learned to my cost to never take on a wifey pushing a shopping trolley, carrying bags or pushing a buggie.

Me and my wife have said this for a while now. "Why is it always us that has to move?!??".

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    Raised this before on the Pet Peeves thread, my policy is to maintain my course and stop if need be and allow them to deviate around. I used to mouth an apology as they passed but now I say a firm “excuse me” as although they look I don’t think they see me,,,,

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    People that find it impossible to leave their phones in their pockets whilst walking along the pavement display a similar disregard to what's going on around them.
    Oh, come on, that's natural selection. We're developing a race of people that have radar capabilities, so that they can read their phones whilst simultaneously avoiding collisions.

Old folk are ****ed though.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiber-nation View Post
    Me and my wife have said this for a while now. "Why is it always us that has to move?!??".
    Because you have manners. Unfortunately the world is rapidly changing. People are more selfish/self absorbed than in the past. Try living in Asia, it is truly unbelievable watching groups of Chinese commandeering whatever part of the street or shops they choose to stop at. Forget a thank you if you hold a door open for someone.

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfiembra View Post

All of the above, including not holding a door open when your are 3 steps away, or not acknowledging when you hold a door open. Happens in all big offices.
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bangkok Hibby View Post
    Because you have manners. Unfortunately the world is rapidly changing. People are more selfish/self absorbed than in the past. Try living in Asia, it is truly unbelievable watching groups of Chinese commandeering whatever part of the street or shops they choose to stop at. Forget a thank you if you hold a door open for someone.
    Yes I was in Kuala Lumpur last year and it was actually hilarious!

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    I actually said the same thing to a guy who hit me with his trolley yesterday in Morrisons. He came right into the side of me, I looked straight at him waiting for the apology and that would have been that, but he just stared at me and was about to walk off.

@hibs.net private member Dalianwanda's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I remember writing an article on it in terms of smiling & saying hello & getting nowt back..Even if your the only two passing each other & it was a fairly long walk before you reached each other...I used to get frustrated when they just looked at me blankly. What got me over it was learning about mirror nuerons..How even though they dont realise it their zygomaticus major (side of mouth) and orbicularis oculi (side of eye) are reacting to my smile with a tiny mirror smile..Totally unconcious & its hard wired..So I win, they didnt manage to keep their poker face & there was nothig they could do about it!

Totally agree!!!

it drives me up the wall, along with people who don’t bother to say thanks or even nod when you hold the door open for them, and I’m sick of constantly stepping aside for rude people who don’t do the same or even seem to notice.

my wife says I should stop moving out of people’s way, but it’s instinctive for me. I am partial to loudly making comments like ‘you’re welcome’ or ‘no bother’ when I’m sufficiently irked by it.

There just seems to be a lot less manners, and a lot more selfishness and rudeness now

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    I move out of the way a lot, and to be fair others do so for me. It's probably 50/50 - easier to remember when it doesn't happen though.
    I walk quite fast so find myself doing a lot of "overtaking" on the pavements while everyone around me seems to donder.

Walking while on my phone is done a lot too - but it only takes the odd glance up to know what's happening around you.
    Mon the Hibs.

Some people in supermarkets do my head in, standing with a big trolley chatting to a friend blocking the shelves you want to get something from, or chatting at the doors as they meet friends coming in and blocking the way out. Don't get me started on the ones that don't move their shopping up nearer the punter in front of them so that their 7 items takes up 3/4 of the belt as there's a massive gap between their shopping and the people in front, MOVE YOUR SHOPPING UP.

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    Don't get me started on the ones that don't move their shopping up nearer the punter in front of them so that their 7 items takes up 3/4 of the belt as there's a massive gap between their shopping and the people in front, MOVE YOUR SHOPPING UP.
    That winds me up every time. That and other things where the perpetrators appear to think they're the only person on the planet. Another one is people who expect the world to stand still whilst they casually finish their phone call and put their hand up to the cashier signalling not to interrupt them. Makes me want to grab the mobile out of their hands and jump up and down on it.

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    This always seems to be me as well, especially when walking past busy bus stops.

When driving it’s not much better. If you give way to someone approaching, perhaps because of a narrow street or other hazard on the road don’t expect a wave of thanks etc.

Whenever I hold a shop-door open for someone and they don’t say thanks I can’t resist saying “ cheers mate”or “imanners cost nowt”