hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve20 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Love watching football. EPL, English Championship, Champions League, La Liga. I know it's the new 'cool' thing to say that you don't like to watch football, but I still love it.

But Hibs still matter more. I'd always go to a Hibs game before watching any other game.
    With you 110%

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member SRHibs's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Limit Break PSN ID: cyniUK
    Up until recently it was just Hibs, but I’ve started going to a few Newcastle games recently. I would never just sit and watch a random game of football though, unless it was the later stages of the CL where it’s worth watching for the quality alone.

Hibs.

Still watch the odd non hibs game, but I make a lot less time for it than I used to.

Having said that, I've started coaching my son's team, so I suppose that's taking up some of the time I would have dedicated to other football previously.

Quote Originally Posted by One Day Soon View Post
    Do you play fives?
    I was playing 7s until last summer with a group of guys, we had all played together for years but it started to get harder to get players as everyone had bairns, work commitments, moved away etc.

The biggest issue I had with 11s was getting motivated. I was steadily working down the levels from pro youth to East of Scotland and junior to Saturday amateur then to Sunday amateur as I devoted less time to football and more to other things. The truth is I couldn't be ersed turning out at that level and didn't really care enough. It was just a bit disrespectful to guys who are knocking their pans in at that level so I called it a day.

I've got a couple of coaching badges and I'm planning to start my goalkeeping coaching pathway this year so hopefully that stirs up a bit enthusiasm from somewhere for me.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

First Team Breakthrough esjorto's Avatar

Smile

Football til I was about twelve, then only Hibs after that.

Used to consume an eye-watering amount of football per week up until about 2012-13. Slowly but surely the leagues and games I used to insist on watching have fallen by the wayside. I still like watching SPFL Premiership/Scottish Cup games because I feel there's an element of it mattering to Hibs in some shape or form. Watch most of the national team games too but it's not got that same feeling.

In general, it really is Hibs or bust. I'll never get the same feeling going to any other ground as I do when I'm walking up St Clair Street and see the stadium come into view, particularly when the floodlights are on. I'll never get the same feeling as I do when another team scores a goal, or wins a game.

@hibs.net private member givescotlandfreedom's Avatar
    There is no football without Hibs.

It’s a really good question.

I’m stuck with this problem:

Hibs. I really care about the result. But the quality of play and entertainment is generally poor.

Other Football - EPL etc. I couldn’t give a flying one about whether one bunch of millionaires wins or the other. No emotional investment at all. Good quality stuff and excellent sport, but I wouldn’t plan my weekend around it.

If I had to choose one over the other it would be hibs. Generally hibs give me More frustration than pleasure, but then again, on the rare occasions when it clicks you get days like 21/05/16....
    Last edited by hibbydog; 11-02-2019 at 04:18 PM.

@hibs.net private member Bishop Hibee's Avatar
    Hibs but not by much. I love football and will watch pretty much any game.
    "Washing one's hands of the conflict between the powerful and the powerless means to side with the powerful, not to be neutral.' - Paulo Freire

@hibs.net private member
    Hibs is much more than just a football club, it's a way of life. I met most of my pals when I joined the supporters club (St. Giles branch) in '63. Some of them attended the same school as me (St. Anthony's). We're still in touch and still regulars at ER.
    Can't imagine life without the Hibs, but football in general doesn't hold my interest the way it used to.

Just hibs for me, I genuinely can't remember the last time I watched motd or champions league.
    I do watch the occasional Sunday league game if I'm out with the dog,sometimes it's so bad that it's enjoyable if that makes sense.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Football, if the game ceased to be I would be lost. If Hibs went out of existence, I would be gutted but get over it.

Sometimes I get offered freebies for games in London but I never take them. Just can’t be bothered watching teams I don’t care about. Quite happy to train it up to ER to see Hibs v Elgin City!

@hibs.net private member

Hibs or football? Which actually matters more to you?

Hibs are the only team I love ..But I also love football - don’t watch many ( non Hibs) games, but do like to see the highlights, love the passion and nuance of games , tactics and trivia ...wonderful sport .....football has the ability to give joy and connection in my life in a way perhaps only Music can match
    Last edited by bigwheel; 11-02-2019 at 05:40 PM.

I really enjoy watching Champions League. Hibs will always be my team but Scottish football is dross. The league set up is ridiculous and it is difficult to get too exited about it these days. Maybe it's an age thing.

Hibs are always priority number 1 for me.

I do still have the full Sky Sports and BT Sport package - though I rarely watch a game. (*Soon to be cancelled).

I also have an online subscription to Eleven Sports for their La Liga coverage, which I love.

Offer me a choice of Celtc v the rangers, Manchester United v Manchester City, Liverpool v Everton or for instance Sevilla v Real Betis and I'd choose the Seville Derby every time.

As an aside: I've had a season ticket in all the variations of the East every year since 1989. In this time I've never been a member of a Hibs Supporters Club or set foot in the HSC at Sunnyside.🤔

(Though I am a member of a Barcelona supporters club and have been attending their games, when finances allow, since 2007).

Hibs all the way.

And for the last few years I have only been watching Scottish games, no time for the EPL at all, does nothing for me. It's good to check out the teams that Hibs play on a regular basis and I consider myself to be fairly knowledgeable on most SPFL sides.

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    I'm football mad and always have been, from being a nipper filmed on my Dads old cine camera kicking ball round the garden aged about 3 to the present day. Its a debate I've had many times with friends of many footballing persuasions and I'm usually in the minority to say football first. The way I view it, no football, no Hibs. If there was no Hibs there would still be football. I just love the game and always have done. Travel and football my life passions.

I'd kick a ball about until past dark as a youngster, play imaginary games in the garden if I couldnt find anyone else to play with. If it was raining I'd kick a balloon or even an old sponge around the house. My toys were divided into football teams. By my teens I would have memorised every score in the English and Scottish leagues by about 15 minutes after the games had ended. I'd study the league tables in Dads sunday paper and know every teams leagues position and who they were playing the following week. I had several scrap books mainly assembled from Shoot magazine, I still remember my John Blackley, Pat stanton and Hibs team pics circa 1972. I must have had about 20 Subbuteo teams, floodlights, scoreboard referees the lot.

To this day I cant walk past a park without stopping to watch a kids game or a sunday league match and have recently had a very enjoyable walking football experience. I drink my tea out of a Hibs mug, I proudly wear a variety of Hibs gear down the gym, no matter what Im doing or where Ive travelled to around the world, saturday afternoon Uk time is still football time. I follow the game from Argentina to Japan from Italy to Germany.

I've been the World cup, the European Championships, the FA Cup final, the League cup final, the Scottish league cup final of course the Scottish Cup final. I just love the game and always will. Its a real life soap opera.

And of all my footballing experiences, nothing but nothing comes close to 21-5-16.

Over the years I've come to the conclusion that football is an interest of mine but Hibs are part of how I define myself.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by hibbydog View Post
    It’s a really good question.

I’m stuck with this problem:

Hibs.I really care about the result. But the quality of play and entertainment is generally poor.

Other Football - EPL etc. I couldn’t give a flying one about whether one bunch of millionaires wins or the other. No emotional investment at all. Good quality stuff and excellent sport, but I wouldn’t plan my weekend around it.

If I had to choose one over the other it would be hibs. Generally hibs give me More frustration than pleasure, but then again, on the rare occasions when it clicks you get days like 21/05/16....
    I think that's it in a nutshell for me. When all's said and done, all I really want from football is for Hibs to win, or at least not to lose. How they achieve it is secondary. The fact I have no control over this is a constant source of frustration, even though I'm old enough to know we shouldn't invest so much emotion in something we can't control.

In essence, the fact Hibs are playing the sport of football isn't especially relevant. I simply look to them to provide a positive result in order to enhance my sense of day to day wellbeing.

Looking at it that way, I would probably be happier if I didn't actually support any club and simply viewed football in the way I view numerous other sports ie largely neutral and able to enjoy the sport for its own sake!

I'll watch football matches that don't involve Hibs but I can't say that I give many of them my full attention.

The Hibs games are really all that matters to me.

Promising Youngster birdspotter's Avatar
    I just watch Hibs at home, occasionally away but never live footy on the telly, unless I am in the pub at the time.
    Last season though I tried an English Premiership game for the first time, Newcastle v Southampton which was a great day out, but having been at the recent Hertha Berlin v Bayern cup game I plan to go to see more German games in the future.
    Nothing other than an Edinburgh Derby compares to the atmosphere of a big German game for me!
    A great experience that every football fan should at least try once!