hibs.net Messageboard

hibs defence looking a bit on the older side perhaps?

Watching the way Celtic breezed past our defence..albeit young and older, seems to me that next season we need some more younger guys in there.
    Our defenders cannot go on forever so a good balance needs to be struck...Ryan P being out does not help I know but we do need more pace back there next season, if we are to stop those get to the line crosses and diagonal splitting passes.
    Fresh legs required, players cannot go on forever at that level anyway.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent!
    We need better defenders. Neither Hanlon or McGregor are comfortable on the ball. They are decent stoppers but when it comes to building the play, they are woefully short on ability. This was highlighted last week against Aberdeen when Milligan played at the back and strolled around like he had played there for years. I think we need a clear out.

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Weegreenman View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We need better defenders. Neither Hanlon or McGregor are comfortable on the ball. They are decent stoppers but when it comes to building the play, they are woefully short on ability. This was highlighted last week against Aberdeen when Milligan played at the back and strolled around like he had played there for years. I think we need a clear out.
    The Hanlon of this season has been a liability, and I feel that at times his lack of physicality and aggression is the reason he’s not had much international recognition or bids in for him. However he’s been a good servant to us and being comfortable on the ball and ball carrying are, this season aside, his main strengths IMO.

Interesting how we can all see things differently without anyone necessarily having to be right.

I agree that age of our defence and maybe other positions too is a concern . In general think that players signed last summer have taken a lot of flak when perhaps players already with us whatever their ages have played as big a part in our fall in league position . Part including bad luck with injuries .

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Weegreenman View Post
    McGregor days at this level aredone. You are 100% incorrect about Hanlon however. More than comfortable on the ball and can pick a pass. Injury has checked him a bit but just coming into his prime.
    As an asidePorteous has bags of ability confidence and can pick a pass too but has a huge amount to learn about the game. His current injury is down to his exuberance when over running the ball in the opposition box.

Quote Originally Posted by greenlex View Post
    McGregor days at this level aredone. You are 100% incorrect about Hanlon however. More than comfortable on the ball and can pick a pass. Injury has checked him a bit but just coming into his prime.
    As an asidePorteous has bags of ability confidence and can pick a pass too but has a huge amount to learn about the game. His current injury is down to his exuberance when over running the ball in the opposition box.
    Agree with this and specifically about PH being good on the ball well I think he is.

Quote Originally Posted by SMAXXA View Post
    Agree with this and specifically about PH being good on the ball well I think he is.
    Hanlon looked good on the ball because he was giving it to midfielders who got into the right positions to take it and look after it.Now he doesn’t have these midfielders so he doesn’t look so good.

Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    Hanlon looked good on the ball because he was giving it to midfielders who got into the right positions to take it and look after it.Now he doesn’t have these midfielders so he doesn’t look so good.
    Interesting take on it

Quote Originally Posted by SMAXXA View Post
    Interesting take on it
    He tries to play a decent ball but I think he’s worried that the man he’s playing it to will immediately lose it and put him in trouble.As a result he has been hoofing it long much more often than in recent seasons.

@hibs.net private member
    Other than a fit Porteous, Scott Allan and Marciano I really don't think there's a single member of our current/forthcoming squad who's nailed down a starting spot. I'd expect that the new manager will be looking to strengthen throughout, starting with the back line.

Testimonial Due
    Same questions getting asked now that were being asked 6/7 years ago about Paul Hanlon.

@hibs.net private member ian cruise's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    He tries to play a decent ball but I think he’s worried that the man he’s playing it to will immediately lose it and put him in trouble.As a result he has been hoofing it long much more often than in recent seasons.
    Decent take in the situation I hadn't considered. We really miss McGeough.

Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post
    The Hanlon of this season has been a liability, and I feel that at times his lack of physicality and aggression is the reason he’s not had much international recognition or bids in for him. However he’s been a good servant to us and being comfortable on the ball and ball carrying are, this season aside, his main strengths IMO.

Interesting how we can all see things differently without anyone necessarily having to be right.
    That's a major problem for a central defender tho'. Hanlon's very rarely first to the ball in the box. Another problem is going walk about with the ball and leaving a hole in behind when its turned over.

Hanlon and McGregor have been found out this past 18 months or so. A back 4 with those two is a no no.