hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    The legality of a contract that was not signed, if that was the case, would be impossible to justify, but if Cardiff continue with that line it is surely the biggest PR disaster of all time. They would be well advised to sort this with dignity with Nantes, well away from the media and newspapers.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HoboHarry View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm not for a moment taking Cardiff's side but if he hadn't signed (it's a big if) it's not a technicality. If a player on his his way to ER to sign for us lost his life would we have to pay a transfer fee?
    Think Cardiff’s arguement is something along the lines of he had agreed the deal, Cardiff agreed the deal, both parties had signed, the deal had been submitted to the relevant FA’s/FIFA and there needed to be a small amendment to his signing on fee payment structure which from the way I read the article sounds like it came to light after his death. The signing on fee needed to be split into payments over the length of the contract rather than an upfront payment.

As others have said, if Cardiff are hoping they can wrangle out of the payment for a player who tragically died while on a flight on the understanding he’d signed for Cardiff already because they made an arse of a tiny detail in his contract then I hope they go bust.
    Last edited by calumhibee1; 25-03-2019 at 06:37 AM.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    It will be the most costly OG in football history if Cardiff go down that route. Public opinion will be massively against them I would imagine, brand integrity left in tatters.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    Think Cardiff’s arguement is something along the lines of he had agreed the deal, Cardiff agreed the deal, both parties had signed, the deal had been submitted to the relevant FA’s/FIFA and there needed to be a small amendment to his signing on fee payment structure which from the way I read the article sounds like it came to light after his death. The signing on fee needed to be split into payments over the length of the contract rather than an upfront payment.

As others have said, if Cardiff are hoping they can wrangle out of the payment for a player who tragically died while on a flight on the understanding he’d signed for Cardiff already because they made an arse of a tiny detail in his contract then I hope they go bust.
    I know nothing about the finer points of football contracts but it seems to men there is an opposite side of that argument. If (again a big if) the player was on his way to sign a contract then he is not yet the club’s player and they are not due, legally or morally, to pay the transfer fee. Surely he is the original club’s player until contracts are signed?

If the situation is as you say then it seems Cardiff are behaving abominably, however, if the player had not yet signed a contract then Cardiff are acting correctly. The Mo Johnston thing comes to mind. All bells and whistles press conference to say he’s signed for Celtic. Then later that same day, turns out all of the formalities were not complete and so he turns up a rangers player.

Let’s not start a social media witch hunt on Cardiff before the facts are known.
    Last edited by CentreLine; 25-03-2019 at 07:10 AM.

I'd imagine it's Cardiffs insurance company playing silly buggers not the club.
    Space to let

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    I'd imagine it's Cardiffs insurance company playing silly buggers not the club.
    That will surely be the case, but Cardiff are not obliged to behave likewise.

So if no money has changed hands how does McKay and his entourage get their share?

Karma.

Quote Originally Posted by Famous Fiver View Post
    So if no money has changed hands how does McKay and his entourage get their share?

Karma.
    They’ve claimed they’ve no interest in getting their money and won’t be pursuing it.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    They’ve claimed they’ve no interest in getting their money and won’t be pursuing it.
    I thought they said they would not be pursuing it for now. Has something changed?

Left by mutual consent!
    I'm not for a moment taking Cardiff's side but if he hadn't signed (it's a big if) it's not a technicality. If a player on his his way to ER to sign for us lost his life would we have to pay a transfer fee?
    Cardiff announced his signing though.

@hibs.net private member
    Would a verbal contract count?

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by PatHead View Post
    Would a verbal contract count?
    They confirmed his signature when they announced his signing. Very pleased too by all accounts.

Massive PR disaster waiting to happen for Cardiff City. If i was a club director doing business with them in the future i would be demanding any agreed transfer fee upfront.

Quote Originally Posted by PatHead View Post
    I thought they said they would not be pursuing it for now. Has something changed?
    Apologies, I thought they just said they wouldn’t be pursuing it and that was it but I will most likely be wrong. No change from the previous interview as far as I know

Quote Originally Posted by 90+2 View Post
    Cardiff announced his signing though.
    I'm not even pretending to know what is true and what isn't - merely commenting on what has been posted....

Left by mutual consent!
    I'm not even pretending to know what is true and what isn't - merely commenting on what has been posted....
    https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/cardiff-city-announce-signing-goal-15703715.amp

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/cardiff-city-announce-signing-goal-15703715.amp
    I'm aware of that headline - I was commenting on the allegation that all may not have been as signed and sealed as was first thought.

@hibs.net private member
    Remember when Mo Johnston said he had signed for Celtic.

I really hope were going to pay this and don't wriggle out on a technicality.

When you consider how much money the club will be getting even in we get relegated 15 mill isn't that much.

Interesting to see what is going to happen and how we justify it if we don't pay it. Could be embarrassing.

Quote Originally Posted by nellio View Post
    I really hope were going to pay this and don't wriggle out on a technicality.

When you consider how much money the club will be getting even in we get relegated 15 mill isn't that much.

Interesting to see what is going to happen and how we justify it if we don't pay it. Could be embarrassing.
    I can't imagine many Cardiff fans would disagree with you.

This could drive a wedge between Cardiff and their owns fans, as well as the rest of the footballing world.

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    I can't imagine many Cardiff fans would disagree with you.

This could drive a wedge between Cardiff and their owns fans, as well as the rest of the footballing world.
    Wouldn't be the first time the owner has done that.

I see that FIFA are obtaining evidence from both sides and will make the decision. Will be extremely embarrassing if they force us to pay it.

I just can't see how we can not pay it. He's there at the ground holding our shirt! We surely can't announce the signing and the pictures then say he hasn't signed!!!

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    It's also made me reevaluate my views on the whole Kevin Thomson ****show in 2006/7. Judging by what has emerged about what dodginess McKay is capable of, it's fairly obvious that he is well capable of totally manipulating a young footballer like KT. The 'walking along the M8 on broken glass' thing and the Daily Record columns fit a pattern, that as KT has since said he wasn't able to control.
    KT has since stated that he did not say the ''broken glass'' quote and it was entirely made up by a journalist. Its a pity he didn't come out and deny it at the time but then again the fans of his new club were lapping it up so it looks like he decided to be pragmatic and let it run.

hfc rd
    Left by mutual consent!
    Thing is though, Cardiff announced him as their record signing. He had the medical, posed with the home shirt and I’m sure did an exclusive interview with Cardiff who also publicly announced the signing. Also met the manager Warnock who even invited him to watch his new team mates play against Newcastle on the day he signed. The lad declined as wanted to go back to France to say goodbye to his Nantes teammates. We all know unfortunately what happened after that 😢

From what it looks like they should pay it and it is low as **** if they are trying to squirm their way out of it. Disgraceful on Cardiff's part. All too happy to receive the good wishes from the rest of the footballing world when the lad died, but now they're doing a good impression of Peter the Apostle: "Who? Emiliano Sala? Never heard of him”!

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hfc rd View Post
    Thing is though, Cardiff announced him as their record signing. He had the medical, posed with the home shirt and I’m sure did an exclusive interview with Cardiff who also publicly announced the signing. Also met the manager Warnock who even invited him to watch his new team mates play against Newcastle on the day he signed. The lad declined as wanted to go back to France to say goodbye to his Nantes teammates. We all know unfortunately what happened after that 😢

From what it looks like they should pay it and it is low as **** if they are trying to squirm their way out of it. Disgraceful on Cardiff's part. All too happy to receive the good wishes from the rest of the footballing world when the lad died, but now they're doing a good impression of Peter the Apostle: "Who? Emiliano Sala? Never heard of him”!
    Agree morally reprehensible. As you say announced him picture with the strip, pictures of him signing with I think the owners son or at least a high ranking Cardiff official yet no he hasnt signed. Frankly despicable.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Shame on Cardiff City!

One would think they would have Insurance in place to cover such eventualities?

Regardless they should do the decent thing
    Last edited by BILLYHIBS; 26-03-2019 at 05:46 AM.

@hibs.net private member
    Think it will put other players off signing for them. Sorry Nellio but I hope they get relegated and go into free fall until the owner leaves.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    Shame on Cardiff City!

I think we are too quick to jump on the bandwagon when people make assumptions about what happens then start to believe it as fact. How does it go? “Confucius say the mind is like a parachute. It works best when it is open”

It is quite possible that Cardiff have behaved abominably here. But it is equally possible that the player had not yet signed and therefore he is not their responsibility. Could it be that his trip to France was about finalising pre signing detail there? Could it be the Mo Johnson situation? If so Cardiff are not liable for the fee and people would be wrong to be so keen to have a cause celebre.

@hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    Shame on Cardiff City!

Thing is, he either signed or he didn't. If he hadn't then their insurance is irrelevant, and it's up to the French club to go through their insurance.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CentreLine View Post
    I think we are too quick to jump on the bandwagon when people make assumptions about what happens then start to believe it as fact. How does it go? “Confucius say the mind is like a parachute. It works best when it is open”

It is quite possible that Cardiff have behaved abominably here. But it is equally possible that the player had not yet signed and therefore he is not their responsibility. Could it be that his trip to France was about finalising pre signing detail there? Could it be the Mo Johnson situation? If so Cardiff are not liable for the fee and people would be wrong to be so keen to have a cause celebre.

Why announce it then?

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/...villa-15706138

Looks to me from the attached image that he has signed or about to sign a contract with a proud Chairman looking on

You cannot defend the indefensible
    Last edited by BILLYHIBS; 26-03-2019 at 07:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CentreLine View Post

Cardiff announced his signing. The chairman said:

“It's obviously been a long process to secure the services of Emiliano but I'm very pleased that we're now in a position whereby we can confirm his signature.

"I'm sure all Cardiff City fans will join me in that and we can look forward to seeing our record signing in a Bluebirds shirt."

As far as Cardiff were concerned it was a done deal, he was their player. Then he tragically passed away and they’re trying to wash their hands of him through some form of technicality and leave Nantes to pick up the pieces. Cardiff HAVE behaved abominably. You can guarantee if what happened hadn’t happened and Nantes had decided to tell Cardiff he was still their player that Cardiff would be going absolutely mental.

Cardiff deserve everything that I hope is coming to them. For them to cease to exist as a football club would be karma.