hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 50 Club

My old Uncle use to frequent the 50 club back in the day. Dont think he was a member as he was neither wealthy or a local businesman

2. Log in to remove the advert

Coaching Staff
    The guy (Fleming?}who owned the newsagents at the top of Craigentinny Avenue when I was kid was a member.

He had a few Bob, and wasn’t a bad lad.

First Team Breakthrough GTMRossaK3's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pacorosssco View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Opening of chat but this is a great part Hibs historyHow did it the 50 club get round private bar? Think know answer but it's illegal Scotland to have private clubs.
    Pretty sure Sir Tom Farmer’s brother Gerry was a member. He was a customer of mine when he had the car accessory shop (ACE) in Comiston Road and I’m pretty sure him and I used to chat about The 50 Clubs

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pacorosssco View Post
    Opening of chat but this is a great part Hibs historyHow did it the 50 club get round private bar? Think know answer but it's illegal Scotland to have private clubs.
    I don't think it is.

"Brought within licensing system but special requirements to be recognised through licence conditions which have been discussed with clubs
    Personal licence holder will be required but very small club will be exempted
    Licence conditions provided to subordinate legislation committee and include:
    Non-profit making
    Written constitution and rules
    Management committee or governing body elected by members
    No person under 18 to be admitted unless to sporting club or students union
    No member to have personal interest in alcohol sales
    No visitors except as recorded in guest book and in company of a member
    Minimum of 25 members
    Q Who will be licence holders?

https://www.gov.scot/publications/li...ties/pages/22/

Premises - club itself or the committee
    Personal - premises manager or member of club committee or club - doesn't matter.

@hibs.net private member scoopyboy's Avatar
    I remember being in it on a few occasions, I loved the wallpaper as it consisted of old Hibs match reports which were mostly from the fifties.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by scoopyboy View Post
    I remember being in it on a few occasions, I loved the wallpaper as it consisted of old Hibs match reports which were mostly from the fifties.
    Correct, my favourite was a game at Q of S IIRC where Willie McCartney had a real rant about the ref, calling him a homer. We won 7 1!

@hibs.net private member Leithenhibby's Avatar
    My father in law John Douglas, turned 89 today (tickled pink with the game on TV) and would ask me over after a game from time to time.

Unfortunately for me John never mentioned a smart dress code as I walked in with a big woollen jumper on, a pair of shorts and treking boots. I promptly pointed out that John never mentioned dress code, but Kenny Waugh and other's made me welcome but never let me forget that I looked as though I'd just come off a fishing trawler.😊

Happy days.

Glory Glory

@hibs.net private member I'm_cabbaged's Avatar
    The only time I was in was when the Hibs Kids first started. The only thing that I can remember is being shown the 0–7 game from an old film reel projector.

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Leithenhibby View Post
    My father in law John Douglas, turned 89 today (tickled pink with the game on TV) and would ask me over after a game from time to time.

Unfortunately for me John never mentioned a smart dress code as I walked in with a big woollen jumper on, a pair of shorts and treking boots. I promptly pointed out that John never mentioned dress code, but Kenny Waugh and other's made me welcome but never let me forget that I looked as though I'd just come off a fishing trawler.😊

Happy days.

Glory Glory
    Hey, please wish John a happy Hibby birthday from me and my Mum, Annette. (I’m Bob Henderson’s son.)

Quote Originally Posted by Frazerbob View Post
    Hey, please wish John a happy Hibby birthday from me and my Mum, Annette. (I’m Bob Henderson’s son.)
    I will do that, Frazer.

Remember your Mum & Dad well from years gone by in The Tattler at the shore. Also did work in their pub a long time ago - Spey Lounge...

Glory Glory

Me too, I’m Dougie Murray’s son Scott. My Dad wishes him happy birthday too

Quote Originally Posted by Gorebridge Hibb View Post
    Me too, I’m Dougie Murray’s son Scott. My Dad wishes him happy birthday too

John, sending you all his best wishes for 2023

Glory Glory

Screenshot 2023-01-09 223412.jpg

50 Club

Quote Originally Posted by Bukta#8 View Post
    Hi Everyone, Just looking to pick a few brains. Was down opposite the west stand today and noticed a sign for the Russian visa application centre in a building on Albion Road, during my early days of attending matches it was known as the 50 Club and had links to HFC but no idea in what capacity
    Anyone enlighten me
    Thanks
    My late dad was a founder member but left after Tom Hart wanted the 50 Club premises under the old Centre Stand (I reckon he enjoyed going to the 50 Club more than seeing the game!) for offices (?) and the 50 Club moved to 𝗔𝗹𝗯𝗶𝗼𝗻 Road.

I can remember a very smart ex-military sergeant from the Corps of Commissionaires (?) at the door to the club who used to salute members and their guests into the club. My brother and I would get a juice while my dad would catch up with his cronies. I remember Mae and Johnny Reilly (AKA Mr & Mrs 𝙃𝙞𝙗𝙨🥬), Dan Brown, George Telfer and Gregor and Lynn Cowan. But it was a pretty boring experience for us youngsters after the game; waiting for our dad to finish his drinks and get back to his shop on Gt Junction Street to closed up.

Many famous ex-players and celebrities used to come in to the club on match days. I remember talking to Billy Connolly who thought my pal and I where the boys taking the half time penalties at a 𝙃𝙞𝙗𝙨🥬 Celtic match. The other celebrity I vividly remember in the club was actor Brian Pringle, famous at the time for playing Eggy in the sitcom "The Dustbin Men".