hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: League Reform

Testimonial Due one day maybe...'s Avatar

League Reform

How about this for a reform to our the Scottish league? It’ll get shot down almost straight away from everyone saying that’s sh*t
    But how about introducing two points for a win and no points for a draw. Combine that with an 18 team league playing each other twice. Two automatic relegation spots and the third bottom team in a playoff (one off game) against the 3rd placed team in the Championship. Reason? What we have now is boring 🥱

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    No
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

@hibs.net private member
    Not for me.

@hibs.net private member Ringothedog's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by one day maybe... View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    How about this for a reform to our the Scottish league? It’ll get shot down almost straight away from everyone saying that’s sh*t
    But how about introducing two points for a win and no points for a draw. Combine that with an 18 team league playing each other twice. Two automatic relegation spots and the third bottom team in a playoff (one off game) against the 3rd placed team in the Championship. Reason? What we have now is boring 🥱
    And this would improve the competitiveness in what way? The current setup is crap but your solution would not be an improvement on what we have just now

@hibs.net private member
    Sorry mate. But that’s ****.

@hibs.net private member Callum_62's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: 0083-4364-6418-4974
    That is absolutely **** to be fair

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Libby Hibby's Avatar
    That’s sh*t

Not for me. The scenario you have described would give absolutely no reward for a last minute equaliser.

@hibs.net private member & Biggest, Funniest Slaver on hibs.net 2012 Pedantic_Hibee's Avatar
    U wot m8
    "Play for the name on the front of the jersey and the supporters will remember the name on the back"

Testimonial Due one day maybe...'s Avatar
    So it’s a resounding no 🥲 back to the drawing board 😁

@hibs.net private member Pagan Hibernia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AngloHibs View Post
    Not for me. The scenario you have described would give absolutely no reward for a last minute equaliser.
    Yep. The only reward would be to prevent the opposition getting anything. Where would be the incentive to attack at 2-0 down, or 1-0 if there's only a couple of minutes left. A draw is the same as a defeat. May as well just give up.

Nothing personal OP. But it's terrible.

@hibs.net private member
    One day maybe,I have a different suggestion to your idea.How about like in rugby they have bonus losing point's
    So still 3 points for a win no point's for a draw but you get a point if you score.Even if you are getting beat 3-0 for instance you would still be attacking trying to get that bonus point oh my disclaimer is I'm on holiday and been drinking a lot 🤣

Just about the idea of a bigger league .

I listened to a Scottish premier league manager awhile back who managed in England and he said in a bigger league it's easier for clubs to give young players a chance rather than in our league because it's smaller , more competitive and a run of 3 defeats could see a team drift down into relegation trouble and put a manager under pressure . ( Other reasons too mentioned) .

My questions to you on this is , is this one of the reasons there are more foreign players that are coming into the Scottish game ? . And how will this effect young Scottish players and your national team in the future? .
    Last edited by Donegal Hibby; 03-04-2024 at 11:53 PM.

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    I’d still give a point each for a draw but could have none for a goalless one. Puts the onus on scoring rather than that last minute equaliser being worth nothing.
    I agree about playing each other twice being a positive too. I think the split is also crap.

First Team Breakthrough
    The league should simply be 18 teams play each other twice. This would effectively close the gap in points between old firm and other sides challenging as we won’t need to play them 4 times.

@hibs.net private member LEaston87's Avatar
    14 team league, play each other twice then split into top 7 and bottom 7. Play each team twice. 26 games pre split, another 12 games post split. 38 game season, old firm get their 4 games a season as do the teams who get in the top 7. Will also mean theres no uneven home and away fixtures

Quote Originally Posted by Mark05 View Post
    One day maybe,I have a different suggestion to your idea.How about like in rugby they have bonus losing point's
    So still 3 points for a win no point's for a draw but you get a point if you score.Even if you are getting beat 3-0 for instance you would still be attacking trying to get that bonus point oh my disclaimer is I'm on holiday and been drinking a lot 🤣
    1 pt if you score, I like it.

It’s pretty good the way it is right now.
    Maybe expand the bottom league to allow more ventilation and get rid of b teams from the lowland league.

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    Ideal league reform:

Scottish Premiership (two teams, no relegation, teams play each other 38 times a season)
    Scottish Championship (twenty teams, play each other twice a season, no promotion, winner automatically qualifies for Europa League)

Quote Originally Posted by Diclonius View Post
    Ideal league reform:

Scottish Premiership (two teams, no relegation, teams play each other 38 times a season)
    Scottish Championship (twenty teams, play each other twice a season, no promotion, winner automatically qualifies for Europa League)
    Perfect

@hibs.net private member hibsforeurope's Avatar
    I don't think all the ideas are non-starters. I'd like to see an increased league, 2 points for a win and 1 for a draw, playing each other home and away once. The top 2 can play a 2 legged play off to see who's champions.

I would like to see a limit put on subs allowed. 3 subs allowed, 5 if they are Scottish qualified. With 1/3 of the squad to be home grown/Scots qualified.

It'll never happen but this would be my preference.

Oh and foreign refs and no VAR while we're at it.

Quote Originally Posted by AngloHibs View Post
    I've always felt that something football could do with is no points for a 0-0 draw. Still incentivises a trailing team to go for it, but if it gets to the last 10 minutes at 0-0 you might start seeing a bit more of an open game than the cagey affairs you get now where teams settle for a point.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    I'd favour a 14 team league. Teams play each other twice then the league splits and the teams in each half play each other twice giving a total of 38 games.

It won't happen simply because clubs can't afford to lose 2 games against the arse cheeks. The revenue from Hibs, hertz and Aberdeen's travelling support is important too.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Centre Hawf View Post
    I've always felt that something football could do with is no points for a 0-0 draw. Still incentivises a trailing team to go for it, but if it gets to the last 10 minutes at 0-0 you might start seeing a bit more of an open game than the cagey affairs you get now where teams settle for a point.
    I would go for a point for any goals scored by either team. You get beat 2-1 and you still get a point, a point for a draw(1-1 would be two points each) and 3 points for a win. The reason 3 points was brought in was to encourage teams to attack. It simply hasn't worked. Give reward for scoring.

In terms of the number of teams in the top league it is either the same as we have now where the vast majority of games have meaning or taking a longer term view and having a bigger lead which may be good for player development but ultimately means more meaningless games. Splits could be used to mitigate that though. Ultimately, it will always be a crap league if the Uglies are in it and football is decided on who has the most money with everything weighted in the bigger clubs favour.

@hibs.net private member worcesterhibby's Avatar
    18 team league - no split - 3 points for a win - 2 points for a score draw - 1 point for a 0-0 draw

we also need to completely change the penalty rules. Only a foul that stops an obvious goalscoring chance should be a penalty - all other "fouls" in the box should be free kicks - at least that would lessen the influence that cheating Rangers supporting VAR operators can have on a match.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    I'd favour a 14 team league. Teams play each other twice then the league splits and the teams in each half play each other twice giving a total of 38 games.

It won't happen simply because clubs can't afford to lose 2 games against the arse cheeks. The revenue from Hibs, hertz and Aberdeen's travelling support is important too.
    This is my ideal top league set up as well.

It ensures equal home and away games for each club which the current arrangement doesn't. The current post split home and away game arrangement is a mess.
    This new set up would give the same number of home pay days for each club as at present, 19. That is the current set up when not messed up by the post split fixture anomalies.

It would allow a 7th team to be in the top split and would provide more stability for the less rich clubs with 14 places in the top league instead of 12.
    As you say the only downside for those clubs is 5 would lose a home pay day against all the big clubs once every 2 seasons. The flip side is 2 other teams that don't get them at the moment would get one.

Makes perfect sense.
    Last edited by PHeffernan; 04-04-2024 at 04:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sauzee1989 View Post
    The league should simply be 18 teams play each other twice. This would effectively close the gap in points between old firm and other sides challenging as we won’t need to play them 4 times.
    It would have the opposite effect. You’d have loads of seasons where the only time either one of them lost would be against each other. Seasons where we weren’t good enough to get Europe would see us effectively playing friendlies for months at the end of the season as well. Would probably put me off going every week.

That’s before you realise that at various points in the last 10 years or so that would have seen one or more of Arbroath/Alloa/Dumbarton getting beat 5/6-0 most weeks as part time sides. We’d have less interest in a league in that format from tv/fans/sponsors than now

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post

This - but I would tweak this so it splits 6-8. Top 6 has 36 games, bottom 8 has 40. Then you don't have teams sitting out a fixture for each set post-split.

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Is this in addition to the reforms Hearts are leading? They were doing it for the good of Scottish football after all and not self interest. Coincidentally, I’ve not heard anything from them since they got promoted.

First Team Regular Basildon Hibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Allyg69 View Post
    Perfect
    👍👍