hibs.net Messageboard

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar

Have you ever done up your kitchen?

Just out of curiosity I'm wondering about the prices and timescale of getting it done.

We moved in two years ago and the kitchen was in need of a bit of TLC, now it's at a point where it's just plain scabby.

We would need to strip out the whole thing, including an enclosed brick boiler cupboard which I can do all of myself for the cost of a skip and a bigger hammer, but as a basic budget what would anyone suggest setting as a marker?

Underfloor heating would be a dream but from what I can see the systems can be expensive, however the combi boiler is in the kitchen too so wouldn't need too much by way of pipe work etc.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just out of curiosity I'm wondering about the prices and timescale of getting it done.

We moved in two years ago and the kitchen was in need of a bit of TLC, now it's at a point where it's just plain scabby.

We would need to strip out the whole thing, including an enclosed brick boiler cupboard which I can do all of myself for the cost of a skip and a bigger hammer, but as a basic budget what would anyone suggest setting as a marker?

Underfloor heating would be a dream but from what I can see the systems can be expensive, however the combi boiler is in the kitchen too so wouldn't need too much by way of pipe work etc.
    A lot depends on the size of kitchen, number and standard of units, position of appliances etc. Companies like Magnet will design and quote for you, and there are design tools on kitchen websites.

about 5 years ago I had a full refit, granite tops, wooden units, new fitted appliances, electric underfloor heating 3m x 4.5m. 6m frontage base units and 4m frontage wall units for around £20k
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

I've done up two reasonably small kitchens in houses I've been in. Both nothing fancy. Went to a couple of different places, Wickes/Wren etc and got them to come out and do their design visits where they measure it all up etc and then get you back into the showroom to design it.

Would definitely recommend getting this done, they know what they're looking for and where you can put things etc etc etc.

Both times they came out somewhere around the £8-10k mark including getting rid of the old kitchen.

Howdens are good for kitchens but if you are prepared to buy online DIY kitchens are very good.

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    I've done my own kitchen twice now. The second time was after we actually extended to make it bigger. 2nd time we used Wren to design and supply the units. Fitted myself as the Wren units come built up. Dead easy and would have cost £000s if I had paid Wren to fit. The only bit o paid someone to do was shape and fit the worktop as it was very expensive and I didn't want to make an arse of it.