hibs.net Messageboard

An interesting read re live football on tv

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Interesting read. It begs the question as to why the Duopoly is bothering to fund it if the viewing figures are so low? Methinks the writer needs more stats on revenues, that would lend weight to his arguement.

As a matter of principle for me, I say **** the EPl and (non) Champions League. Not remotely interested beyond watching match of the day, if I’m not out having a life.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Thanks for posting

A very interesting read

I was brought up in the sixties when football on the telly was a rarity

I remember the streets being empty and everyone would be viewing regardless of who was playing

My appetite for football on the tv was insatiable and I never ever thought I would ever get bored of it

I could not get enough

Now in 2019 sitting here in my sixties I am a ST holder at ER and subscribe to BT Sports and Sky Sports and HIBS TV I can now honestly say I have had enough

I have two sons who are football daft so two or three times a week my Mrs is outvoted and she has to watch her programmes in another room

As you can imagine I have watched a lot of football over the years and that includes a lot of boring games

Like the rest of the nation I am now more and more inclined to join my wife in the other room as the entertainment on offer would seem to be a better and cheaper alternative

Unless it is HIBS of course!

I think SKY makes quite a bit from selling the games abroad?

saw it on football365 yesterday as well.

The author John Nicholson lives in Edinburgh and sometimes goes to Hibs games, though he prefers the lower league stuff (can't remember if it's Edinburgh City or Spartans he goes to).

Hibs are mentioned on F365 again today, where they claim Emerson Hyndman had an "excellent loan spell" apparently we picked up 1.6pts per game when he played but 0.9 when he hasn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil MaGlass View Post
    I think SKY makes quite a bit from selling the games abroad?
    Sky don't sell the rights for foreign TV. They have to buy it from the PL (for each region).

@hibs.net private member
    I'm pretty much down to watching Hibs games now. I might watch the odd big game but it really holds little interest to me. I can't remember the last Champions League match I watched and I agree with the author in that the TV deals will eventually dry up and many clubs will really struggle depending on contracts held with players. I hope it all goes burst as it is ridiculous that footballers are earning 100s of thousands a week while countless people live on or below the breadline. I don't blame the footballers for this but the game has became more about celebrity than it has about Teams and local and family allegiances.

@hibs.net private member
    Anybody who has travelled to Middle East and Asian the last 10 years can see that the UK is not the Premier league's target market.

Competitive games will be played outside the UK very soon.

I've been saying it for years - if you compare audiences for even the biggest, over-hyped, Super Sunday, fandabidozy English match and your bog standard Scottish match the huge disparity in the domestic TV deals makes no sense. And that's not to mention our bigger derby matches up here. I am not suggesting we should get anything close to what the English Premiership receives, but it should be a darn sight closer than the yawning chasm it is now. You can only get what people are willing to pay of course but something is not right.

Good piece, you do wonder how long it can go on if the UK audience is as small he says, it seems that other parts of the SKY empire is subsidising the PL !

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Good read.

John Nicholson’s “Proper Football Man” and “Football Love Letter” articles on football365.com are utter class. Not serious and analytical like this one but cleverly humorous. His Des Lynam article is a thing of beauty for those of us old enough to remember Des in his pomp.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

The article is flawed.Viewing figures are based on audience research of home viewers and like all surveys are based on small numbers.They take no account of the numbers who watch football in pubs and clubs.

Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    The article is flawed.Viewing figures are based on audience research of home viewers and like all surveys are based on small numbers.They take no account of the numbers who watch football in pubs and clubs.
    I also wondered if they were adjusting for the numbers in each household as presumably not every subscriber is watching alone. Think most of the points are still valid, however I did find it a little irritating that the article seemed to assume these trends were indicative of the whole of the UK - perhaps another factor in this is that the nation in the UK most inclined to watch football is mostly watching Scottish football? Pure speculation there, no idea if the attendance figures at matches per capita in Scotland translate into higher viewing rates or indeed if the Scottish population would even make a dent in the statistics. I agree that the stats behind the article seem somewhat questionable anyway.

The EPL and the broadcasting hubbub about it is a huge bubble IMO - was lucky to survive the 2009 financial crash and won't survive the next.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VF_uOgyBK1c

Viewing figures might be low, but subscription costs are high, that's all that really matters for Sky.

Sky sports is not just about football you get the whole sports package.

For my subscription i get English football & (championship too) Scottish, international football, boxing & cricket.
    NOt into golf or Grand Prix but that's included.

Much truth in the article. But even with comparatively small viewing figures I presume SKY and BT are making money or at least gaining a benefit along the line or they wouldn't be paying the money they are … a fact which is always pointed out by the 'realists' whenever anybody moans about the massive disparity between what they pay for the EPL compared to their miserly offers for Scottish football.

The one real truth is how this approach and TV money in general is affecting the so called Champions league. In order to attract the big bucks the Champions league is seeded to ensure ( barring the odd accident ) that most of the usual mega wealthy and TV friendly suspects are always involved in the latter stages … so much so that its all becoming stale and predictable. When you chuck in the fact that you cant even see highlights on council telly any more what you have is more and more folk who can afford to pay for it falling by the wayside through boredom and those who cant, or aren't prepared to, pay losing interest because they feel excluded …. folk like me in fact.

The Champions league is more and more becoming something that ordinary fans ( which is about 90% of Europe's fans ) who support non glamour clubs just don't feel part of, in fact feel almost deliberately excluded from, and there's only one way that can go.

Interesting read.

Football on TV rarely interests me. If i do watch it its likely to be a Scottish, Italian, Spanish or English game that i am specifically interested in, maybe one game a week. NowTV and Eleven Sports are good for that, take a week or month sub and if nothing takes your fancy after that then bin it. I don't get people tuning in for Man City v Huddersfield or Burnley v Southampton when they have no interest in either team but each to their own.

I liked some non-league clubs and fans with the marketing slogan "Football in not a TV show" at the start of this season to encourage punters to get out and watch some fitba in person. Can see where they are coming from. Without wanting to sound like some anti-modern football hipster i'd much rather be at Junior game with a pie and bovril in hand than watch Real Madrid on TV.

The one thing that really pisses me off about televised football is the wee modern fandan's who only watch/supports English teams. On a Monday morning at work they're all there discussing the weekends football. Referring to Man U and Liverpool as "we" and "us" yet they've been to OT and Anfield the same amount of times as i've been to the moon! (They're also the first to talk down Scottish football for being "pish" yet havn't contributed to the game up here at all).

@hibs.net private member Bristolhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    Thanks for posting

A very interesting read

I was brought up in the sixties when football on the telly was a rarity

I remember the streets being empty and everyone would be viewing regardless of who was playing

My appetite for football on the tv was insatiable and I never ever thought I would ever get bored of it

I could not get enough

Now in 2019 sitting here in my sixties I am a ST holder at ER and subscribe to BT Sports and Sky Sports and HIBS TV I can now honestly say I have had enough

I have two sons who are football daft so two or three times a week my Mrs is outvoted and she has to watch her programmes in another room

As you can imagine I have watched a lot of football over the years and that includes a lot of boring games

Like the rest of the nation I am now more and more inclined to join my wife in the other room as the entertainment on offer would seem to be a better and cheaper alternative

Unless it is HIBS of course!
    I’m the same, although in my 30s.

I’m really picky about the footie I watch, and much like the younger generation dip in and out of games. Hibs goes without saying though.

I also enjoy watching rugby on the TV much more now.

For example yesterday I had the England v France rugby match on, switched to the Aberdeen v QOTS game, then flicked over to the Man City v Chelsea game. Much more fluid.

In between all that I have various sons popping down, watching a bit with me then back up to play on Fortnite.

I’ll also interdesperse my viewing with chores like ironing and cooking dinner.

Quote Originally Posted by Onceinawhile View Post
    https://www.football365.com/news/cli...ht-fight-fight

Clive Tyldesley has written a rebuttal.
    Thanks for posting that.
    A very good and interesting read.

@hibs.net private member Green_one's Avatar
    There is a broader trend in the US away from main stream cable / satalite to streaming . This loss of subscribers means a growing loss of revenue and markets particularly those under 30

Loss of smaller channels and big sports deals will be early casualties if that trend comes here. My guess would be the bigger clubs will do ok but the majority have no real wider market. Who would pay to see a Huddersfield game

Quote Originally Posted by Onceinawhile View Post
    a better read than Part 1