hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member BroxburnHibee's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CoolHibeesdaft PSN ID: Hibeesdaft
    Quote Originally Posted by Future17 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It cost me £9.90 from Newcraighall to the Ravelston in Musselburgh recently - a distance of 1.4 miles.

Apparently there was a surcharge for "leaving the city". This was at about 5pm on a Friday.
    There is a surcharge for Musselburgh but I would never put it on the meter if it was from there.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, vodka in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by BroxburnHibee View Post
    There is a surcharge for Musselburgh but I would never put it on the meter if it was from there.
    Yeah, I understand the reason for it in certain circumstances...just not at that time on a weekend evening.

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by speedy_gonzales View Post
    Is Capital "all the 7's"? If so, how do you get the discount, do you have to ask?
    I've used them a few times but never been offered the discount, just the meter rate!
    It is yeh. They should deduct 20% from the final fare in the screen. You do quite often have to ‘remind’ them though.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Sorry to my cab driving pals, but I use UBER when I'm abroad. It really is a good service.

You know what you're going to pay before you book a car. You know how long it will take to arrive, the type of car and the driver's name.

I've not used Uber in the UK out of loyalty to my pals, but one wrong word ...

@hibs.net private member
    Ok did you tell him to take that route as it's a much longer route?

Black cab drivers are trained to take the shortest route as it's the cheapest.

The cheapest fare is to go through Musselburgh. If someone asked me to get to the far end of Pinkie by taking the bypass the first thing I'd say was it would definitely be more expensive.
    How much would you expect it to be? I wouldn’t think it’d be much less than £25 based on my experience.

@hibs.net private member BroxburnHibee's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CoolHibeesdaft PSN ID: Hibeesdaft
    Quote Originally Posted by Danderhall Hibs View Post
    How much would you expect it to be? I wouldn’t think it’d be much less than £25 based on my experience.
    23 to 25 sounds about right.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, vodka in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    23 to 25 sounds about right.

I'll bear that route in mind if I ever have to get a black cab home again.
    Hibs.nets negative posting legend and unofficial ticket agent.

Quote Originally Posted by Danderhall Hibs View Post
    I was told last summer price to Wallyford is usually £20-£22, uber usually £15-£17 but on that night uber quoted £62.Day and night ticket for bus a bargain

Quote Originally Posted by Killiehibbie View Post
    I was told last summer price to Wallyford is usually £20-£22, uber usually £15-£17 but on that night uber quoted £62.Day and night ticket for bus a bargain

They call that a surge price, well known for Uber drivers to all disappear at a certain time just to push the price up, then all pop back on their system to grab the extra high fares. Problem we have is peoples perception of the black taxi trade, generally brought on by being told lies. I get asked what's the difference between the knowledge and just using a sat nav, well a sat nav cannot teach you guest houses, nursing homes, pubs, restaurants, hotels, hospitals, offices, places of interest, road closures etc. I think the last list made Edinburgh around 103rd dearest in Britain, cheaper than Glasgow and surprisingly cheaper than places you wouldn't expect, also you have to take into consideration this is the capital city and things are a wee bit derer, drink in George St and you'll see what I mean, or try buying a flat/house. Said before we don't mind competition but when the market has been flooded out of all recognition, it does feel like the CEC have an agenda against black cabs.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    I use Uber a lot, never had any reason to complain about it.

On Christmas day I got an Uber from my dads in Kingsknowe Court, it dropped me off at Jordan Lane in Morningside, then took my dad on to Liberton Golf Club, it cost £13.18.

Yes sometimes there is surge pricing, but it's pretty rare in my experience.

reigning hibs.net poker champion Wembley67's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Happyhibs62
    Arranged an uber pickup to go the airport, price sitting at £20, by the time it arrived it had surged to £50...what the f???Chad no option but to get it.
    "You opened the box....and your soul belongs to me...."

Quote Originally Posted by Wembley67 View Post
    Arranged an uber pickup to go the airport, price sitting at £20, by the time it arrived it had surged to £50...what the f???Chad no option but to get it.
    Uber prices don’t change once you have confirmed it.

Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    They call that a surge price, well known for Uber drivers to all disappear at a certain time just to push the price up, then all pop back on their system to grab the extra high fares. Problem we have is peoples perception of the black taxi trade, generally brought on by being told lies. I get asked what's the difference between the knowledge and just using a sat nav, well a sat nav cannot teach you guest houses, nursing homes, pubs, restaurants, hotels, hospitals, offices, places of interest, road closures etc. I think the last list made Edinburgh around 103rd dearest in Britain, cheaper than Glasgow and surprisingly cheaper than places you wouldn't expect, also you have to take into consideration this is the capital city and things are a wee bit derer, drink in George St and you'll see what I mean, or try buying a flat/house. Said before we don't mind competition but when the market has been flooded out of all recognition, it does feel like the CEC have an agenda against black cabs.
    It’s demand that puts the surge up certainly not anyone logging off!

The nav has all you have listed on it I’ve nothing against the black cabs but things have moved on the youth nowadays get Uber’s not taxis.
    Last edited by patch1875; 04-02-2019 at 11:28 AM.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by patch1875 View Post
    Uber prices don’t change once you have confirmed it.
    Well mine did, I had never used Uber before so maybe I didn't do something right...personally I think the driver was at it, he knew he was collecting from a prestigous area for a early morning flight so I never had an alternative option - lesson learned from myself :)

There seems to be a lot of mythology surrounding Uber.

I use them almost exclusively when I'm abroad and I've always been very satisfied.

The app tells you how much the fare is going to be, how long it will take to get to you and roughly how long the journey will take.

On one occasion the app told me that they were busy so normal so prices were higher than usual. Even then the fare wasn't extortionate, but I decided against using them on that occasion.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Well mine did, I had never used Uber before so maybe I didn't do something right...personally I think the driver was at it, he knew he was collecting from a prestigous area for a early morning flight so I never had an alternative option - lesson learned from myself :)
    I don't understand how that could have happened.

Did you use the app? It gives you the price and you pay in advance. No money is given to the driver. Even tips are paid via the app.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

You must have checked the price and not confirmed then gone back in later and it could have had a surge the driver has no control of the prices.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    I don't understand how that could have happened.

Did you use the app? It gives you the price and you pay in advance. No money is given to the driver. Even tips are paid via the app.
    Quote Originally Posted by patch1875 View Post
    You must have checked the price and not confirmed then gone back in later and it could have had a surge the driver has no control of the prices.
    It was on the app, absolutely no idea what I did but whatever it was I clearly screwed it up

It was on the app, absolutely no idea what I did but whatever it was I clearly screwed it up
    Was it a Rolls Royce or something posh?

Uber has a luxury car option which is more expensive.

You will have got an email receipt. It should tell you what you booked.

I'm inordinately interested to find out! 😁

@hibs.net private member .Sean.'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    The last time I got a taxi it cost me nearly £30 from the East end of princes st to Musselburgh, I think thats outrageous, I've used the night bus since then.
    I’ve paid £50+ back to Haddington numerous times 😭
    ''It's always been just part of the culture. Growing up, for most working-class kids, is all about football, music or clothes. You might not have much money, but whatever you have got, you're going to look good.'' - Paul Weller

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by .Sean. View Post
    I’ve paid £50+ back to Haddington numerous times 😭

**** that, you ken theres a night buses down that way now?
    https://eastcoastbuses.co.uk/nighthawk/
    Hibs.nets negative posting legend and unofficial ticket agent.

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Back around 15-20 years ago I lived just round from Murrayfield stadium and worked in Bonnyrigg. Didn’t drive in those days and very occasionally I had to taxi it, usually if I had gone out after work or slept in and missed the bus. Back then it was 20-25 quid easy, with one of the two big black cab firms. Doesn’t sound like it is too much more expensive nowadays which is a surprise.

Re a previous post, I’ve nevertheless always found Glasgow far, far cheaper for a cab. As for Uber I’ve used them in English cities and found them spot on. In Leeds in particular they were clean, reliable and efficient whereas the one black cab we used was a bit dirty and definitely took a long way for a short cut. I think the council in Leeds is quite strict on enforcing standards for private hires which maybe explains that.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Would always use Uber over a black cab. Used Uber fairly frequently for over a year now in numerous cities in the UK and abroad and had next to no issues. Probably saved myself a small fortune as well.

In the south of France it also gave me the option of a helicopter

@hibs.net private member
    That apostrophe is doing my head in.

Quote Originally Posted by grunt View Post

@hibs.net private member lapsedhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by grunt View Post
    Mine anaw.
    Last edited by lapsedhibee; 05-02-2019 at 04:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lapsedhibee View Post
    Mine's to.
    You shouldn't of rote that mate

Theres going too be a plefora off bad speling poor gramma and a lak of puntuashin now

@hibs.net private member lapsedhibee's Avatar
    You shouldn't of rote that mate
    True. Corrected now.

Sorry to my cab driving pals, but I use UBER when I'm abroad. It really is a good service.

You know what you're going to pay before you book a car. You know how long it will take to arrive, the type of car and the driver's name.

I've not used Uber in the UK out of loyalty to my pals, but one wrong word ...
    I rarely use Uber at home as our local private hire is pretty reliable, but we used Uber a few times when in Bristol a few weeks ago and couldn’t speak highly enough of them. One of them turned up literally within 30 seconds of ordering (bearing in mind we were near the football ground and not actually in the city centre) whereas the taxi numbers given to us in the pub were all going to be a 30+ minute wait.

Return flights to Bergamo - £30
    Return taxi to airport from Drum Brae - £30/

Still wouldn't use uber or the taliban taxi's as I believe the black cab driver's call them.