hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

The price of taxi’s

What is it with the cost of black cab taxi’s in Edinburgh nowadays?

I just got one from the High street to Blackford and it cost eleven quid! That was with a bare minimum tip as the driver didn’t take cards.

I’ve been in Glasgow a bit recently and Black cab taxi’s seem to be far cheaper. Never really partaken with the likes of Uber in Edinburgh but surely they’re cheaper?

(Don’t think it helped my mood this was right after today’s game!)

2. Log in to remove the advert

I stopped using any sort of taxi around three years ago. I simply refuse to line the pockets of drivers. Bus or night bus for me every time I need transport now. Its a no brainer.

I’m currently driving for Uber for a couple of months works out around half the price of a black cab.

Use them all the time myself the app works great.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Euphoria1875
    Don't use them or don't tip them if you feel ripped off. I can't remember the last time I used a taxi.

I would only use a black cab in exceptional circumstances. I would do my best to avoid the worst drivers on the road, mini cabs and I'd never use UBER.
    Space to let

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    J-C and a few other posters will be along soon.
    Hibs.nets negative posting legend and unofficial ticket agent.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    I use black cabs regularly, I like the experience of being taken to my destination safely via the quickest route without having to act as navigator, I have the City Cabs app on my phone.

The last time I got a taxi it cost me nearly £30 from the East end of princes st to Musselburgh, I think thats outrageous, I've used the night bus since then.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The last time I got a taxi it cost me nearly £30 from the East end of princes st to Musselburgh, I think thats outrageous, I've used the night bus since then.
    Taxis are notorious the world over. Ive been threatened in Morrocco, ripped off in every country Ive used one really. Of course there are many genuinely nice cabbies but the chancers and con men who take tourists on outrageously circuitous routes taint the whole profession. Uber has many faults but I'll use them if I have to.

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibby View Post
    I use black cabs regularly, I like the experience of being taken to my destination safely via the quickest route without having to act as navigator, I have the City Cabs app on my phone.
    Same for me. I live in a new build and the postcode doesn't always come up on sat navs. Almost every black cab driver has known where it is or worked it out after a simple 'it's just off.....'.

Watching the PHs go into full on panic mode when the sat nav fails them is amusing but you then end up getting taken on a tour of Edinburgh as even the most precise directions confuse them.

I always use a black cab if I can. There's a good reason for them being a bit more expensive than a PH or Uber.

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Same for me. I live in a new build and the postcode doesn't always come up on sat navs. Almost every black cab driver has known where it is or worked it out after a simple 'it's just off.....'.

Watching the PHs go into full on panic mode when the sat nav fails them is amusing but you then end up getting taken on a tour of Edinburgh as even the most precise directions confuse them.

I always use a black cab if I can. There's a good reason for them being a bit more expensive than a PH or Uber.
    I’ve actually had more problems with black cab drivers not knowing where a destination is and they don’t have a sat nav to fall back on. This becomes a problem when you don’t really know where it is either.

My worst experience was when I lived in Bruntsfield and arguing with a black cab driver who insisted Leamington Place was in South Queensferry. Eh, I think I know where I live, thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by overdrive View Post
    I’ve actually had more problems with black cab drivers not knowing where a destination is and they don’t have a sat nav to fall back on. This becomes a problem when you don’t really know where it is either.

My worst experience was when I lived in Bruntsfield and arguing with a black cab driver who insisted Leamington Place was in South Queensferry. Eh, I think I know where I live, thank you.
    That was like last week when I was at Newhaven going back to Blackford. The first thing the black cab driver asked was “what way do you think I should go?!” You tell me!!

£30!!! I went to Munich last year and my flight there cost £35!

If it wasn’t for the cold and the fact my son had Been taunted by the Aberdeen fans as we walked past Easter Road after the game I would have walked to a bus stop. In fact I would have carried his twelve year old arse back home!

@hibs.net private member BroxburnHibee's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CoolHibeesdaft PSN ID: Hibeesdaft
    No way it should be that price.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, vodka in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by LustForLeith View Post
    That was like last week when I was at Newhaven going back to Blackford. The first thing the black cab driver asked was “what way do you think I should go?!” You tell me!!
    Sometimes there can be options depending where you are. It's not always a linear route. Saying that he'd be better asking if you had a preferred route. Also there's plenty people want you to go a certain way and are not shy in telling you.

I remember when I first started I was nervous as hell about going the wrong way and getting the inevitable "Eh where you going pal?"
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, vodka in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    I will add that when I talk about the excellent service and knowledge of black cab drivers I am generally talking about the drivers I encounter regularly through City Cabs. I have experienced totally the opposite in severally black cabs either hailed or off a rank, these have generally been cash only street cabs with no affiliation to anyone.

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    I should point out a positive story regarding black cabs. A couple of years ago we were going on holiday and got a black cab to the airport. Came back from holiday and my ex wife went to unlock the front door and couldn’t find her keys. She reckoned she had left them in the hotel safe. A couple of weeks later, the doorbell rang and here was the cabbie that too us to the airport with our keys. They had fell out her pocket in the taxi.

Quote Originally Posted by BroxburnHibee View Post
    No way it should be that price.

I swear, I was out with the Mrs and we got a cab home, it was something like £28.40 and I handed over £30. Couldn't believe myself.

@hibs.net private member
    I swear, I was out with the Mrs and we got a cab home, it was something like £28.40 and I handed over £30. Couldn't believe myself.
    It would be that much mate - extortionate. My brother in law says it’s cheap compared to other cities though (which doesn’t help me!)

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LustForLeith View Post
    £30!!! I went to Munich last year and my flight there cost £35!

If it wasn’t for the cold and the fact my son had Been taunted by the Aberdeen fans as we walked past Easter Road after the game I would have walked to a bus stop. In fact I would have carried his twelve year old arse back home!
    It’s pretty normal to pay more for your taxi either side of a flight than for the flight itself these days.

@hibs.net private member
    I have a deep dislike of Edinburgh black cabs. It may be unfounded but they are over expensive and very tourist driven.

When I have had to take one the drivers seemed totally ignorant of the destination even though it was central Edinburgh at the time.

To be fair, I do understand how expensive they are to run but more expensive than Glasgow?

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar
    Uber is great value. The app is excellent and you can use it most major cities around Europe. You know the price before booking and if you let them know a better route, they take it without moaning.

For me it’s Uber first or Capital Cars with their 20% discount. Both far better value than black cabs.

Gamer IDs

I understand but unless you're talking far side of Musselburgh and kept the guy waiting for ages there is no way it should be that price.

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Frazerbob View Post
    For me it’s Uber first or Capital Cars with their 20% discount. Both far better value than black cabs.
    Is Capital "all the 7's"? If so, how do you get the discount, do you have to ask?
    I've used them a few times but never been offered the discount, just the meter rate!

I understand but unless you're talking far side of Musselburgh and kept the guy waiting for ages there is no way it should be that price.

Route was waterloo place, down past Meadowbank, Milton rd, A1 as far as Wallyford turnoff then through Wallyford down to the roundabout where racecourse is then a left there and got dropped off on the Pinkie rd. That will be £30 please.

Gamer IDs

Route was waterloo place, down past Meadowbank, Milton rd, A1 as far as Wallyford turnoff then through Wallyford down to the roundabout where racecourse is then a left there and got dropped off on the Pinkie rd. That will be £30 please.
    Ok did you tell him to take that route as it's a much longer route?

Black cab drivers are trained to take the shortest route as it's the cheapest.

The cheapest fare is to go through Musselburgh. If someone asked me to get to the far end of Pinkie by taking the bypass the first thing I'd say was it would definitely be more expensive.

Ok did you tell him to take that route as it's a much longer route?

Black cab drivers are trained to take the shortest route as it's the cheapest.

The cheapest fare is to go through Musselburgh. If someone asked me to get to the far end of Pinkie by taking the bypass the first thing I'd say was it would definitely be more expensive.

Being honest I really can't remember.

Quote Originally Posted by Frazerbob View Post
    It’s pretty normal to pay more for your taxi either side of a flight than for the flight itself these days.
    Very valid point!

Also, when you get a taxi from the airport back to say Blackford and the guy takes you all the way into town before cutting through and heading to Blackford?!

I'd only ever take a black cab if I was sharing.
    Most folk I know feel the same.

It cost me £9.90 from Newcraighall to the Ravelston in Musselburgh recently - a distance of 1.4 miles.

Apparently there was a surcharge for "leaving the city". This was at about 5pm on a Friday.