hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Milligan

Played very well in the sweeper role, one of the few( only) players we have that can pass to feet under pressure.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by FifeHibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He was horrific
    How was he horrific? What did he do wrong today?

@hibs.net private member
    I thought he was decent - brought the ball out of defence well and played a few good balls. Good clearance off the line just before their 1st goal as well.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by May2116 View Post
    He won nearly every header, and was our one player that attempted to show and get on the ball.
    His poor header led to Hanlon being booked which led to their first goal. I thought he looked decent with the ball at his feet and he played some lovely balls to Lewis. In defence I'm not convinced as he is slow, easily beaten and was very lucky not to get booked today.

Perhaps not his fault but this really annoyed me all game today: when we had easy possession in our own half - typically Milligan on the ball - you could see he was looking for the long "world cup pass" to set something up. He was getting frustrated because the pass was never on and it seemed to me he was frustrated by a lack of decent runs - unfairly imo. So many times we had three CBs and a deep midfielder in our own half and Aberdeen had everyone behind the ball. Milligan was getting annoyed but it was 10 Aberdeen players versus 6/7 hibs players forward enough to be a target for his desired long ball. If you're going to have three CBs you have to be brave enough to have them run the ball out of defence or make runs beyond the ball when you're trying to attack otherwise you just end up with less attackers to aim a forward pass towards.
    Last edited by FRes Hibbie; 02-02-2019 at 07:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Diclonius View Post
    MOTM for me.
    Yep!

First Team Breakthrough Tommy75's Avatar
    "Horrific" yet "MOTM" for some? I know opinions vary but come on!! He was solid enough, was always looking to receive the ball and made some nice passes. I would be more than happy for him to have a run in the team at centre half.

I think his main challenge was finding players. A few times today he had the ball and absolutely nobody was showing for it. McGregor and Hanlon were giving him no options. Bar one decent cross Stevenson was hiding out on the wing, clearly not wanting the ball and when he did get it done absolutely nothing with it. Gray on the other wing looked uninterested and unfit.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy75 View Post
    "Horrific" yet "MOTM" for some? I know opinions vary but come on!! He was solid enough, was always looking to receive the ball and made some nice passes. I would be more than happy for him to have a run in the team at centre half.

I think his main challenge was finding players. A few times today he had the ball and absolutely nobody was showing for it. McGregor and Hanlon were giving him no options. Bar one decent cross Stevenson was hiding out on the wing, clearly not wanting the ball and when he did get it done absolutely nothing with it. Gray on the other wing looked uninterested and unfit.
    Gray took a sore one from a sneaky GMS challenge towards the end of the first half. I was surprised he came out after HT.

Testimonial Due The Harp Awakes's Avatar
    Never lumps the ball up the park. Good long passing today. I think he was decent.

Left by mutual consent!
    The guy is a good footballer and a good professional. Not captain of Australia for no reason. Fantastic signing by Lennon.

Left by mutual consent!
    Wasn’t happy when I saw he was playing today if I’m honest and then I saw he was playing CH Totally won me over with a very confident performance. The big question is, will he play in that same position next week? I have my doubts.

Quote Originally Posted by Weegreenman View Post
    Wasn’t happy when I saw he was playing today if I’m honest and then I saw he was playing CH Totally won me over with a very confident performance. The big question is, will he play in that same position next week? I have my doubts.
    Even if he was as good as some think, are we going to start with 6 defensive players every week?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

His best position is defensive midfield.
    His best attributes are he is a leader, reads the game well and can pass accurately over any length
    His weakness is lack of pace.

Accordingly he must be played as the defensive midfield player on front of the central defenders and be the link between the defence and the creative midfielders and strikers.
    He did okay today in the back 3 but his talents are wasted there.

Additionally when Milligan is played in midfield Marvin cannot play as he struggles to retain the ball and to pass to a colleague so has no role. Only McGregor is as bad as Marv with the ball at his feet but his tackling, heading and most importantly his position in the team mean his ability on the ball is not such an issue.

Hibs now have enough good players to make a good team but have to play the best players and play them in their best positions. There have been times this season when i have almost thought we are trying to lose by deliberately playing the wrong players and playing players in the wrong positions.

We should always play our best passers: Milligan, Gauld and Slivka in the midfield and build our team around that. If you can't retain the ball you will always struggle as a team.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by we are hibs View Post
    I thought he was poor. Takes too many touches on the ball before passing it.
    That makes a poor player does it? Pinging lovely through balls instead a first touch howf is world class however...

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    Even if he was as good as some think, are we going to start with 6 defensive players every week?

I’ve read a few folk say that winning is everything so I suppose if there’s 8 or 9 defensive players and we scrape a 1-0 it doesn’t matter and we’re all happy?

Quote Originally Posted by wookie70 View Post
    His poor header led to Hanlon being booked which led to their first goal. I thought he looked decent with the ball at his feet and he played some lovely balls to Lewis. In defence I'm not convinced as he is slow, easily beaten and was very lucky not to get booked today.
    If keeper shouts, he lets it go back into keepers arms, first goal easily avoided.

Keeper doesn't shout.

Although to be fair, after that he even clears off line during the scramble.

Testimonial Due The Harp Awakes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CMurdoch View Post
    His best attributes are he is a leader, reads the game well and can pass accurately over any length

Accordingly he must be played as the defensive midfield player on front of the central defenders and be the link between the defence and the creative midfielders and strikers.

Additionally when Milligan is played in midfield Marvin cannot play as he struggles to retain the ball and to pass to a colleague so has no role. Only McGregor is as bad as Marv with the ball at his feet but his tackling, heading and most importantly his position in the team mean his ability on the ball is not such an issue.

Hibs now have enough good players to make a good team but have to play the best players and play them in their best positions. There have been times this season when i have almost thought we are trying to lose by deliberately playing the wrong players and playing players in the wrong positions.

We should always play our best passers: Milligan, Gauld and Slivka in the midfield and build our team around that. If you can't retain the ball you will always struggle as a team.
    Not agreed with you on other threads CM but you are spot on with the above. Sounds such common sense but often the obvious is ignored when it's staring you in the face.

Quote Originally Posted by CMurdoch View Post

I agree that Milligan's best position seems to be defensive midfield, but I don't see him as a leader at all, not for Hibs anyway. Before he signed, it could be people thought, wrongly, that he would be a kind of Matty Jack type, but he's not like that at all. I've seen a lot worse at Hibs, and it's useful having someone that can play in different positions, but in the games I've seen him in he's been okay, nothing special, although as you implied correctly he's not always playing in his best position. Against Kilmarnock, Stewart danced circles round him, but I thought Milligan was a bit better in that respect today. I don't want to critisize the guy too much, he puts a lot of effort in, I just don't see him as anything out of the ordinary, but maybe that's where we as a team are at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Danderhall Hibs View Post
    I’ve read a few folk say that winning is everything so I suppose if there’s 8 or 9 defensive players and we scrape a 1-0 it doesn’t matter and we’re all happy?
    It would be nice to test that theory.

Him and Shaw were our best players today.

@hibs.net private member SteveHFC's Avatar
    Best player we’ve had since Sauzee.
    Less talk, more gifs. 21.05.16

Coaching Staff
    He was close to my MOM. Today.

Can’t understand The negative comments directed towards him on today’s performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    That makes a poor player does it? Pinging lovely through balls instead a first touch howf is world class however...
    What you rambling on about? When did I say he was a poor player? I didn't see what was so good about him yesterday. He isn't very good in one on one situations. He takes an age to do anything on the ball. That's not saying he should lump the ball forward ffs just get a bit more urgent when we are 2-1 down instead of wanting about half a minute to find a pass.

Quote Originally Posted by judas View Post
    Said it before. You can get a few caps for Oz and be inadequate for this league. But when you get more that 70, captain them and play in a World Cup you’re more than good enough for spfl.
    Not too sure on that at all, Matt Mckay struggled in the 2nd division with Rangers yet played 59 games for Australia and I'm pretty sure he captained the side for 3-4 games. Milligan has had a couple of solid games but nothing to get overly excited about and lets not pretend, any player with a bit of trickery or pace will get past him with ease and that's why he's been playing CB so he has a bit of cover and not always exposed to 1v1 situations in the midfield. I'm also struggling to see how he was averaging a goal every 4.8 games in the A-League- I guess we can put that down to the terrible defending on display. To be fair to him at least his attitude seems right, he could've easily done a Maclaren and take the easy option but he genuinely wants to be at Hibs.

Milligan was ok yesterday, which is better than his past 4 or 5 appearances. Wasn’t hard to be better than Hanlon and McGregor who are both contributors to losing bad goals consistently now.

I’m not sure why people are praising his passing yesterday, it was basic stuff from the player that Aberdeen were happy to leave spare on the ball. He is far too slow on the ball and he rarely seems to win us the ball back like we’d see from an Ambrose. Or a Beuzelin or McGeouch when playing in deep midfield role.

Despite this, McGregor has been so bad I’d try Milligan and Hanlon in a back 4 for next few games and see how they do. Or Milligan and the new loan player

Left by mutual consent!
    I felt he was ok. I remain unconvinced by him at centre half and would prefer it if we popped him back in midfield soon.

I felt he passed the ball well but was caught under the ball too often and looked a rabbit in the headlights in one on one situations, particularly one in the second half when he just backed off and backed off.

Also, I know I said he passed the ball well but I felt at times it took too long for him to release the ball and he played the safe ball on far too many occasions. Particularly for someone who normally plays in midfield.

I am not looking forward to him playing at the back again tomorrow night, particularly with the pace Celtic have available to them.

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    I'd put him alongside McGregor tomorrow evening in a back 4. Hanlon needs time out as for whatever reason he hasn't been performing.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by DexterStJock View Post
    I felt he was ok. I remain unconvinced by him at centre half and would prefer it if we popped him back in midfield soon.

I felt he passed the ball well but was caught under the ball too often and looked a rabbit in the headlights in one on one situations, particularly one in the second half when he just backed off and backed off.

Also, I know I said he passed the ball well but I felt at times it took too long for him to release the ball and he played the safe ball on far too many occasions. Particularly for someone who normally plays in midfield.

I am not looking forward to him playing at the back again tomorrow night, particularly with the pace Celtic have available to them.
    No manager in their right mind would play him there at the back after last time. Eddie May surely isn't that daft.

I'd put him alongside McGregor tomorrow evening in a back 4. Hanlon needs time out as for whatever reason he hasn't been performing.
    Think he is far more suited to a sweeper type role. Him and Daz as a pairing against them is a recipe for disaster imo. Thought he was excellent in the middle of a three.

I agree, Hanlon definitely needs dropped for a couple of games, bang out of form, I'd give Johnson a try, get a bit of pace and mobility in our ageing defence.