hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Milligan

Milligan

Got to admit I have been very critical of him this season but thought he was one of our best players today and had excellent distribution from defence.

Hanlon needs dropped as he has been brutal all season and seems to fancy himself more as a midfielder than a defender.

Defence has looked a joke when he’s been in it .

2. Log in to remove the advert

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    MOTM for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Got to admit I have been very critical of him this season but thought he was one of our best players today and had excellent distribution from defence.

Hanlon needs dropped as he has been brutal all season and seems to fancy himself more as a midfielder than a defender.

Agree with that to be honest he did fine today and thought Hanlon wasn’t great as was Stevenson pretty poor but it’s his first game back didn’t look to have the same energy which may be expected due to injury. Only guess with Hanlon is he’s been injured also had a kid recently and that can really take it out you aswell but defo don’t think he’s been at the levels he can be and I’m sure he would find hard to disagree. Hope he rediscoveres his top form as i like him and want him in the team when at it

My MOTM too .

I haven’t rated him at centre-half but thought he was excellent today. He looked far better playing the free role rather than being a stopper. He used the ball well and I’m not sure if his previous poor - imo - form at the back was maybe down to him playing in a three with Efe who we know is a proper footballing CH. Very impressive today.

Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post

Sums us up this season. No consistency, no spine, missing structure.
    Hate to admit it but that's what Hearts do well. They rely on the spine players, Berra, Souter etc. We rely on players who might be dropped from one week to the next because of poor form. And that's the difference.

I thought he was poor. Takes too many touches on the ball before passing it.

I thought he was ok today but no more than that. I would rather we played with 4 at the back and an extra man in midfield.
    Three at the back works well if you have proper wing backs but we have full backs so it just ends up with 5 at the back. When you have 5 at the back it’s easy for Milligan to get time on the ball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coaching Staff
    Only thing I saw him do was deliver two terrific crossfield passes to Lewy second half - rest of the game he fouled needlessly, passes square too often and was hesitant - not a good player at all.

Quote Originally Posted by we are hibs View Post
    I thought he was excellent.

Not afraid to take a couple of touches until a decent passing opportunity opened up for him rather than just shell it up the park early and have it come back at him.

@hibs.net private member hibee_girl's Avatar
    He was great today I thought, always organising the team from the back or trying to at least!

'S' Form
    With no more Effy unfortunately we need someone else who can carry the ball up the park, seems that Milligan is being tested as that player. Thought he had a fairly good game today and the defence looked pretty stable apart from the usual unforced errors!

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    Played well today, broke up play, passing was good, fouled when needed to

I thought he improved second half, and two crossfield balls in particular were very accurate and should have led to more, but noone out there today really had much to shout about. The suspicion is Aberdeen just have slightly better players than us and will probably continue to do so.

I thought he played well. Showed desire and composure. One of our better performers.

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    I thought he improved second half, and two crossfield balls in particular were very accurate and should have led to more, but noone out there today really had much to shout about. The suspicion is Aberdeen just have slightly better players than us and will probably continue to do so.
    I thought that their defence in particular was just a lot better than ours.

Our goal was probably quite cheap from their point of view but you didn't get a feeling we'd be allowed another one. They are solid and very hard to break down and whilst they aren't particularly creative or attractive, they have various threats throughout their team.

@hibs.net private member jeffers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by we are hibs View Post
    Glad I’m not the only one though maybe wouldn’t go as far as poor just thought he added very little and the game slowed down most times he had the ball. The majority of his passes were to another of the centre backs which came after he took a number of touches. I expect far more from a marquee signing who is captain of his country. I’d have hooked him at half time for another midfielder.

Testimonial Due
    Troubling times when his performance makes people think he was out MOTM. I’d rather we play an extra man in midfield. Shaw was my motm

Quote Originally Posted by jeffers View Post
    Glad I’m not the only one though maybe wouldn’t go as far as poor just thought he added very little and the game slowed down most times he had the ball. The majority of his passes were to another of the centre backs which came after he took a number of touches. I expect far more from a marquee signing who is captain of his country. I’d have hooked him at half time for another midfielder.
    I don't remember many times when he spurned a chance to pass to someone in an advanced position to just give it to another defender.

He had his head up at all times and was trying to make it happen, our movement was often terrible and Aberdeen pressed us well.

If he didn't do what he did he'd just be lumping it up the park. We don't have the players to play hoofball.

@hibs.net private member
    Said it before. You can get a few caps for Oz and be inadequate for this league. But when you get more that 70, captain them and play in a World Cup you’re more than good enough for spfl.

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    I thought that their defence in particular was just a lot better than ours.

Our goal was probably quite cheap from their point of view but you didn't get a feeling we'd be allowed another one. They are solid and very hard to break down and whilst they aren't particularly creative or attractive, they have various threats throughout their team.
    Midfield is where they are just streets ahead of us. Ferguson, Stewart (who is a sly wee ****er but also run us ragged throughout, my MOTM) Shinnie and Mackay Steven dominated.

@hibs.net private member jeffers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    I don't remember many times when he spurned a chance to pass to someone in an advanced position to just give it to another defender.

He had his head up at all times and was trying to make it happen, our movement was often terrible and Aberdeen pressed us well.

If he didn't do what he did he'd just be lumping it up the park. We don't have the players to play hoofball.
    He was slightly better in the second half but the first half in particular he passed it sideways too often, slowed it down and offered very little in my opinion.

You are correct he didn’t lump it up the park, he took a number of touches, passed it to either DM or PH for them to do so. I do agree though re our movement and Aberdeen’s pressing.

@hibs.net private member SneakersO'Toole's Avatar
    He was average at best and contributed to an overall poor defensive display.

We need better.

@hibs.net private member One Day Soon's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: 4 PSN ID: 6 Wii Code: 5
    We don't really have a midfield, we have different collections of players who occupy that space from week to week without being a unit.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    He was fine today. I thought he dealt with Aberdeen pretty well other than giving away a few needless fouls.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by IberianHibernian View Post
    My MOTM too .
    He was horrific

Quote Originally Posted by FifeHibs View Post
    He was horrific
    Fifers eh. Damn bridge.

Based on his display today, Milligan is NOT, I repeat NOT a centre half/central defender.
    He may be versatile but never a central defender.

There was a game earlier this season, can’t remember which one, (it was an evening game though) where he had to go central defence after someone was either injured or red carded and had to go off and for the 30 minutes or so he filled in looked all at sea. He wasn’t as bad today but still was out of position and it showed. Having Milligan and Bartley in the same line up (they are both similar style in their true positions) was a bit of tactical naivety by May & Murray today imo. But hey what do I know?

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Milligan gave away a few daft fouls but was very good apart from that. Played some lovely passes.

He won nearly every header, and was our one player that attempted to show and get on the ball.