hibs.net Messageboard

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Deary me Stubbs

Quote Originally Posted by jeffers View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think he left because of the thing we all know about but can't discuss on here. It's also why I don't think we will approach him now.
    Clearly from subsequent responses to this I'm not the only one who doesn't know what 'we all know'. I'm certainly not going to discuss it on here as I haven't a clue what 'we all know'. Anyone care to enlighten me?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Lester B View Post
    Clearly from subsequent responses to this I'm not the only one who doesn't know what 'we all know'. I'm certainly not going to discuss it on here as I haven't a clue what 'we all know'. Anyone care to enlighten me?
    I'm certainly not going to discuss it on here.

Quote Originally Posted by crash View Post
    He is a legend but has gone, gross misconduct, close the thread.
    Gross misconduct?????

Quote Originally Posted by SquashedFrogg View Post
    I'm certainly not going to discuss it on here.
    I wouldn't expect you to. I'm less interested in the detail and more so in the fact that this is something 'we all know' when clearly large swathes of us clearly don't

First Team Breakthrough
    Gross misconduct?????
    I asked the direct question but gross misconduct on the forum is sufficient.
    i certainly was not aware of anything like that!

I wouldn't expect you to. I'm less interested in the detail and more so in the fact that this is something 'we all know' when clearly large swathes of us clearly don't
    It's not really important. It won't affect the clubs choice moving forward.

Quote Originally Posted by 90+2 View Post
    Who in the right mind would swap going up ahead of they cup runs concluding in the Cup win of a lifetime. The guy was an inspiration. I must have groups of hibs friends completely separate from many because I’ve never ever heard anyone say anything but accolades for Stubbsy.
    After Falkirk beat us to enter the final play offs against Kilmarnock many fans realised Srubbsy wasn’t the answer. In fact a Hibs.Net poll recorded 36% of voters wanted Stubbsy gone so there certainly wasn’t just accolades said about Stubbsy!

I think the Cup win would have given him massive support to try one more season but he decided to leave us 11 days later for the mighty Rotherham. A decision he probably regrets and we ended up with a better manager. I agree there’s no point going backwards. We need someone better than Neil Lennon not Stubbsy.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: torto7062
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil MaGlass View Post
    Imagne if Stubbs became caretaket mahager and won us the Cup AGAIN, christ this place would go into meltdown, me included.
    Its actually not a bad idea, he has the respect of some of the players already.
    Sir can I have 2 off what your having

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member
    There's such a thing as where a manager and a club are a good fit for each other and Stubbs and Hibs seemed to click. I think this was a lot to do with fan expectations from a manager and Stubbs' default style of play overlapping big style. He favours an expansive style which most Hibs fans approve of and he definitely "got" the club in terms of it's stature, history and aspirations.

His move to Rotherham never made sense to me though - Rotherham were minows in the English Championship and they were never likely to get anywhere in that league trying to play expansive football on their relatively tiny budget. You could probably say the same for St Mirren. Also if there's a pattern emerging it's that Stubbs does well in a "rip it up and start again" scenario which can work in reverse with an already successful newly promoted team. He was a great cup manager for Hibs though and made some great signings for us.

On the down side, Stubbs' teams were perceived to lack a certain grittyness and were prone to getting mugged by lesser opponents in the league at times. This certainly isn't any less a challenge in the SPL.

On the whole he is definitely a very decent candidate - although I wonder if he'll ever be able to match the halcyon days of superb cup runs culminating in his 2016 triumph. Could that cup lightning strike twice? If he could guarantee that then I'd take him in a flash

Quote Originally Posted by 90+2 View Post
    Who in the right mind would swap going up ahead of they cup runs concluding in the Cup win of a lifetime. The guy was an inspiration. I must have groups of hibs friends completely separate from many because I’ve never ever heard anyone say anything but accolades for Stubbsy.
    After Falkirk beat us to enter the final play offs against Kilmarnock many fans realised Srubbsy wasn’t the answer. In fact a Hibs.Net poll recorded 36% of voters wanted Stubbsy gone so there certainly wasn’t just accolades said about Stubbsy!

I think the Cup win would have given him massive support to try one more season but he decided to leave us 11 days later for the mighty Rotherham. A decision he probably regrets and we ended up with a better manager. I agree there’s no point going backwards. We need someone better than Neil Lennon not Stubbsy.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Clash View Post

Was there a poll after the cup final?

Opinion is fluid. I'm guessing if there was one it would've been 0%

Quote Originally Posted by Phil MaGlass View Post
    Imagne if Stubbs became caretaket mahager and won us the Cup AGAIN, christ this place would go into meltdown, me included.
    Its actually not a bad idea, he has the respect of some of the players already.
    Oh my my my.

I can taste the Hampden Asda champagne already.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    So in summary:

Apart from leading us to arguably the biggest success in our history Stubbs was crap. Lennon only led us to promotion and 4th because he had Stubbs, who was crap, players. So Lennon was crap too.

To conclude. Everyone is crap.
    That about sums it up. Won the cup best league position in years and a couple of points from 2nd in the league but as you say everything is crap. Really is a bipolar convention at times here. Absolutely no context the social media world summed up.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Clash View Post

That will be the Falkirk tie we were absolutely done over by the ref mafia. Ironically it helped us win the holy grail by giving us a weeks rest before the final.

@hibs.net private member TrinityHibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dinkydoo View Post
    He's achieved nothing wherever else he's been, but so has Allan.
    Think Allan doesn’t have the managerial experience to be considered

He left on the biggest possible high, for me he should leave it at that.

I love Stubbs, he gave us the greatest day of our lives and the man will go down in history as a club legend but we mustn't let sentiment cloud judgment here. The reality is that Stubbs had 2 attempts to take us out the championship and failed to do so. Granted, when he arrived at the club he was tasked with literally building a team from total scratch and that's a big ask, especially for a man new to management however, some of the form in that league wasn't good enough.

Quote Originally Posted by 21.05.2016 View Post

I love Stubbs, he gave us the greatest day of our lives and the man will go down in history as a club legend but we mustn't let sentiment cloud judgment here. The reality is that Stubbs had 2 attempts to take us out the championship and failed to do so. Granted, when he arrived at the club he was tasked with literally building a team from total scratch and that's a big ask, especially for a man new to management however, some of the form in that league wasn't good enough.
    He left after winning the greatest game in our history.

Quote Originally Posted by 21.05.2016 View Post

First season in the championship we should have been written off. Having to build a team from scratch yet we still finished above the zombies.
    Second season we lost out to a better Zombies team who we then beat in the Scottish cup final. Only dodgy reffing kept us down.
    I have no doubt he would have taken us up the next seaon as Lennon did.The chance he may not have was probably part of his decision to leave.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Waxy View Post
    First season in the championship we should have been written off. Having to build a team from scratch yet we still finished above the zombies.
    Second season we lost out to a better Zombies team who we then beat in the Scottish cup final. Only dodgy reffing kept us down.
    I have no doubt he would have taken us up the next seaon as Lennon did.The chance he may not have was probably part of his decision to leave.
    Even the first season we made the Scottish Cup Semi. Your post is spot on though. My only regret was he didn’t stay one last year to take us up then Lennon comes in, Cummings signs a new deal to get it up people who claim aStubbs would never take us up and JC couldn’t cut it in the Orem.

Who knows though, we may see it this season?

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    I personally don't really want him back but there is a very strong argument for it.

Why is it so absurd that fans would want the guy back who gave us Scott Allan, McGinn, Fyvie, McGeouch, Malonga, McGregor, Gray. The guy who started the derby run, the guy who beat Rangers 6 times.

He also won the Scottish cup. That was pretty decent.

Good post. I can understand some people not wanting it to be Stubbs next but starting a thread to slag the very thought of it, and then supposed Hibs fans using said thread to slag Stubbs himself?! Very peculiar and sad.

I would take him back until the end of the season, he knows the club the players and the fans, a steady pair of hands is all we need until the end of the season.