hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Deary me Stubbs

Quote Originally Posted by Waxy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    At this point it maybe wouldnt be a bad idea to give it to Stubbsy till the end of the season. Then see where we are.
    Unless there's somebody on LD's shortlist ready to come in now then this is where I'm at too.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member One Day Soon's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: 4 PSN ID: 6 Wii Code: 5
    I'm just recalling that at the time when Stubbs was failing abjectly to get us promoted I remember thinking that the style of football we were playing was wrong for the Championship but would have been great for the Premiership. In some respects the cup win proved that.

I'm now thinking bring him back for the rest of this season and let's see...

Quote Originally Posted by 90+2 View Post
    Warnock produced a miracle keeping Rotherham up prior to Stubbs then they lost their two best players and got backed with pennies.

St Mirren also lost their two best players although I would concede it didn’t happen for him there.

Doesn’t make him a dud though. He turned around our club and left it for Lennon to build upon. When Stubbs guys have left the club it’s left us worse off now than when he left that’s for sure.

You also have to consider the fact that since Stubbs left St.Mirren his replacement hasn’t done much if any better. That may indicate that the squad wasn’t good enough.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    He drastically improved us, had an eye for a player and got players playing for him.

His cup record was ridiculously good.

Yes, he's had his problems elsewhere but I cannot understand why so many people are so against the idea.
    Totally agree also very good Derby record plus also a good style of play mostly.

@hibs.net private member jeffers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by One Day Soon View Post
    I'm just recalling that at the time when Stubbs was failing abjectly to get us promoted I remember thinking that the style of football we were playing was wrong for the Championship but would have been great for the Premiership. In some respects the cup win proved that.

My thoughts exactly.

If he'd be willing to come in immediately on a short term basis we should go for it. I think he'd quickly get up to speed and would give us a chance to get more players in before the window closes and the possibility that this season isn't a write off.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: SAKSxCORE PSN ID: SlickShoes
    If he hadn't done something totally amazing no other hibs manager had ever done, he would have been *****. Amazing logic.

Quote Originally Posted by SlickShoes View Post
    If he hadn't done something totally amazing no other hibs manager had ever done, he would have been *****. Amazing logic.
    If the Famous Five hadn’t scored for fun and won us three league titles they’d have been slated.

Left by mutual consent!
    If Stubbs didn’t win the Scottish Cup vast majority would have wanted him gone. 2 failed promotions (finishing below Falkirk). Losing to Ross County in a cup final. His time would have been up

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibeesmad View Post
    If Stubbs didn’t win the Scottish Cup vast majority would have wanted him gone. 2 failed promotions (finishing below Falkirk). Losing to Ross County in a cup final. His time would have been up
    He did win the Scottish cup though. Just a minor fact you’re overlooking.

But he did win the cup so..

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    Like Lennon did at Bolton? Or Mowbray did at Celtic? The two jobs he took - Rotherham especially - were very difficult jobs. Rotherham were never staying up in that league and it would seem there was more to it than meets the eye at St Mirren considering how quickly he was gone.
    So why did he take the Rotherham job? Don’t believe this home sickness stuff as he was quick enough to come back up to St Mirren

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by 90+2 View Post
    He did win the Scottish cup though. Just a minor fact you’re overlooking.
    Yeah he won the Scottish Cup but everything else was a failure. John Hughes and Peter Houston have won the Scottish Cup, they have also failed and ain’t good enough

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    So why did he take the Rotherham job? Don’t believe this home sickness stuff as he was quick enough to come back up to St Mirren
    What home sickness stuff? I’ve never heard anything about that. I’ve no idea why he took the Rotherham job. I thought it was madness at the time and still do now.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by we are hibs View Post
    But he did win the cup so..
    Legend for life but shouldn’t mean he should be in charge of the club for life

@hibs.net private member jeffers's Avatar
    I think he left because of the thing we all know about but can't discuss on here. It's also why I don't think we will approach him now.

Stubbs won't come back. Issues.

Left by mutual consent!
    What home sickness stuff? I’ve never heard anything about that. I’ve no idea why he took the Rotherham job. I thought it was madness at the time and still do now.
    A lot of people at the time seemed to be claiming he was missing home. IMO the board didn’t see him as the way forward to progress the club so happily allowed him to leave, maybe something was agreed prior to the final. That’s why I don’t think he will be back.

Won us the cup. He can do what he wants

@hibs.net private member Winston Ingram's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    League wise he could do it. He just had teams that could do it better (with more money) to compete with. These teams also done it better than Lennons Hibs team done it btw.
    Like Falkirk for example?

@hibs.net private member One Day Soon's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: 4 PSN ID: 6 Wii Code: 5
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffers View Post
    I think he left because of the thing we all know about but can't discuss on here. It's also why I don't think we will approach him now.
    Umm, we all know about? I'll take a DM please.

If Stubbs didn’t win the Scottish Cup vast majority would have wanted him gone.
    Well he did, so.

2 failed promotions (finishing below Falkirk).
    The first was in the toughest ever Championship and the second was completely mitigated by two cup finals and winning the Scottish Cup.

Losing to Ross County in a cup final.
    Lennon didn't even do well enough in the cups to have the chance to lose a final. Ross County were a top 6 Premiership side at the time and a narrow defeat to them in a final is not the end of the world.

His time would have been up
    Debatable, I certainly would've been prepared to give him a crack at the 2016/17 Championship given that the competition was absolutely laughable and Lennon did the absolute bare minimum in getting us up.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Winston Ingram View Post
    He picked up near enough the same amount of points as Lennon. If Lennon is classed as being able to do it then so should Stubbs.

First Team Breakthrough Tommy75's Avatar
    This place is horrific at times. A few .net experts analysis stretches to "don't get Stubbs back he is a crap manager" followed by "Lennons a crap mamager he won the Championship and finished 4th with a Stubbs team" - bit of a contradiction.

I personally would quite like Stubbs to come in and give it a go. He had an eye for a player and I reckon he would get the best out of players like Kamberi and Mallan who I reckon would thirve under Stubbs 'arm round the shoulder approach'

@hibs.net private member 500miles's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Winston Ingram View Post
    Our form tailed off because of the number of games we played, because he got us to 2 Cup finals. It was totally worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    Stubbs won't come back. Issues.
    Stuff was roumored when he left, but nothing that would stop him coming back I don't think.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by HFCEighteen75 View Post
    Well he did, so.

The first was in the toughest ever Championship and the second was completely mitigated by two cup finals and winning the Scottish Cup.

Lennon didn't even do well enough in the cups to have the chance to lose a final. Ross County were a top 6 Premiership side at the time and a narrow defeat to them in a final is not the end of the world.

Debatable, I certainly would've been prepared to give him a crack at the 2016/17 Championship given that the competition was absolutely laughable and Lennon did the absolute bare minimum in getting us up.
    His target when he was appointed was to get the club promoted and he failed both times. I love him but he ain’t good enough.

Coaching Staff The Green Goblin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by One Day Soon View Post

I agree.

His target when he was appointed was to get the club promoted and he failed both times. I love him but he ain’t good enough.
    He did better than the target because promotion would not have galvanised the club like the Scottish Cup win did. You have a strange way of showing your love for him, I must say.

Yeah he won the Scottish Cup but everything else was a failure. John Hughes and Peter Houston have won the Scottish Cup, they have also failed and ain’t good enough
    You could probably find a reason not to give anyone any job.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by HFCEighteen75 View Post
    He did better than the target because promotion would not have galvanised the club like the Scottish Cup win did. You have a strange way of showing your love for him, I must say.
    I see where your coming from. I love him for being the manager of the team who won us the Scottish Cup after 114 years. I have no issue with you or anybody else thinking he is good enough to come back. But I’m just sharing that I don’t think he is good enough and explained why. Whoever comes to the club will have my backing 100%.