hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Deary me Stubbs

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by cleanyman View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Played two tougher teams

Fenlon was a dud as well
    Played two tougher teams 😂😂😂 what about the route to both finals too.

Stubbs wasn’t a dud. He delivered the Scottish Cup unlike any other manager anyone can ever remember. 👍

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by K.Marx View Post
    You do realise he’s had 2 job since Hibs and failed spectacularly at both?
    Like Lennon did at Bolton? Or Mowbray did at Celtic? The two jobs he took - Rotherham especially - were very difficult jobs. Rotherham were never staying up in that league and it would seem there was more to it than meets the eye at St Mirren considering how quickly he was gone.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    Like Lennon did at Bolton? Or Mowbray did at Celtic? The two jobs he took - Rotherham especially - were very difficult jobs. Rotherham were never staying up in that league and it would seem there was more to it than meets the eye at St Mirren considering how quickly he was gone.
    Warnock produced a miracle keeping Rotherham up prior to Stubbs then they lost their two best players and got backed with pennies.

St Mirren also lost their two best players although I would concede it didn’t happen for him there.

Doesn’t make him a dud though. He turned around our club and left it for Lennon to build upon. When Stubbs guys have left the club it’s left us worse off now than when he left that’s for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by K.Marx View Post
    Maybe ask some Rotherham & St Mirren fans
    I think I'd want some answers from Stubbs regarding what went wrong at Rotherham and St Mirren. Rotherham are a wee team in a big league and would always be up against it but I would have expected him to have done much better at St Mirren.

I'm fine with people having a bit of failure behind them, in fact I'd prefer it. That's what is known as experience.

As long as he has reflected on both periods and he provided an adequate explanation then I'd be happy enough. I'd also have a few questions for him about his time at Hibs, why we weren't promoted with him here and if he'd been here for a third season what he'd have done to get us up.

We have a lot of talent in our squad and we need a man who can relate to the players and pick out what is needed to compliment what we already have. Stubbs fits that description nicely for me.

The Scottish Cup win wouldn't even come into my thinking.

He's also available and knows a few of the players already, all players who performed well for him.

Played two tougher teams

Fenlon was a dud as well
    Your the Dud pal. Any Hibby can never call Stubbsy a dud.
    Give Stubbsy the rest of the season. Afterall we only have the Scottish cup left to go for.

@hibs.net private member Eaststand's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Waxy View Post
    At this point it maybe wouldnt be a bad idea to give it to Stubbsy till the end of the season. Then see where we are.
    This is it for me too.
    Stubbsy knows the club, and a lot of our players/staff, so he would fit very well into our structure.
    Give him the job for 6 months to stabilise things. If he performs well, then he would be in a strong position for a permanent contract in the Summer.

GGTTH
    Last edited by Eaststand; 26-01-2019 at 01:36 PM.

I'd just like to add the caveat that, for me personally, no Stubbs without Doolan. We need them both or neither (or just Doolan if we're really going for something radical).

Quote Originally Posted by 90+2 View Post
    Yassss 😃😃
    Who would ever have thought this day would arrive! Even if it's a short term move,I think he could come in an reignite our club. Seems a distinct lack of confidence around ER. Seems very much a players manager.

Good points earlier re other managers at their previous clubs. Maybe Hibs are Stubbsy's 'club'.

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 90+2 View Post
    Played two tougher teams 😂😂😂 what about the route to both finals too.

Stubbs wasn’t a dud. He delivered the Scottish Cup unlike any other manager anyone can ever remember. 👍
    He certainly wasn't a dud. The club was a shambles when he arrived; he improved us and won the SC, which makes him a legend. However, both he and Hibs moved on; it's in the past, unless Stubbs can prove himself the outstanding candidate. I would prefer fresh ideas; there are lots of good managers out there.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

Quote Originally Posted by HFCEighteen75 View Post
    Hi there, could you name me the other Hibs managers who've got Hibs to both cup finals in the same season? Thanks in advance for your response.
    In the play off first leg against Falkirk the non penalties for MacRacken treble hand ball in the box and then kicking Henderson to the ground in the space of twenty seconds would have put us 3 .1 , man sent off and they were all over the place Alan Muir bottled it and so we had another season down.

I personally don't really want him back but there is a very strong argument for it.

Why is it so absurd that fans would want the guy back who gave us Scott Allan, McGinn, Fyvie, McGeouch, Malonga, McGregor, Gray. The guy who started the derby run, the guy who beat Rangers 6 times.

He also won the Scottish cup. That was pretty decent.

Imagne if Stubbs became caretaket mahager and won us the Cup AGAIN, christ this place would go into meltdown, me included.
    Its actually not a bad idea, he has the respect of some of the players already.

Quote Originally Posted by ben johnson View Post
    In the play off first leg against Falkirk the non penalties for MacRacken treble hand ball in the box and then kicking Henderson to the ground in the space of twenty seconds would have put us 3 .1 , man sent off and they were all over the place Alan Muir bottled it and so we had another season down.
    More to the point, we fought valiantly in three competitions, and reaching both finals cannot be overstated enough. Say we had got past Falkirk in the play-off, what would that have done to our chances of winning the Scottish against Rangers? It would’ve been Killie first leg on the Wednesday, Scottish Cup Final on the Saturday, Killie second leg the Wednesday after? It would’ve been anarchy. The league was sacrificed for much bigger and better things, and it is so disingenuous of some fans to then praise Lennon for piggybacking onto it and mustering up one more point in a league that had lost a considerable amount of quality.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    I personally don't really want him back but there is a very strong argument for it.

Why is it so absurd that fans would want the guy back who gave us Scott Allan, McGinn, Fyvie, McGeouch, Malonga, McGregor, Gray. The guy who started the derby run, the guy who beat Rangers 6 times.

Aye but he’s never done the aeroplane

Quote Originally Posted by BoomtownHibeys View Post
    Aye but he’s never done the aeroplane
    Aye, he never installed a winning mentality

Some guys just "fit" at certain clubs. Stubbs is a good fit at Hibs in my opinion.

Assuming Lennon is gone I would give it to Stubbs until the end of the season and see what he can do. What's the risk- our season, outside the Cup, is over but we are too far ahead to get relegated realistically. He knows Hibs well, presumably gets on with LD, brought young players on - rather than the recent strategy of getting loan players, and is a legend.

My be he was lucky last time, but whats the worst that could happen 7-10th place. If so we can use the next six months to find the long term solution rather than panic into a quick fix.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by SquashedFrogg View Post
    Who would ever have thought this day would arrive! Even if it's a short term move,I think he could come in an reignite our club. Seems a distinct lack of confidence around ER. Seems very much a players manager.

Good points earlier re other managers at their previous clubs. Maybe Hibs are Stubbsy's 'club'.
    Thanks and I agree. I think a few of the players do need an arm round the shoulder reminding them they aren’t bad players all of a sudden, Stubbs coming in could actually be a no lose situation until the end of the season. The support would certainly be behind him and if it doesn’t work out we move on in the summer with someone with fresh ideas. I do feel he regretted leaving and would do everything in his power to get us successful and the job again, a bit like Ole at Utd you could say.

@hibs.net private member
    One of the things I would always look at in a manager would be how we are when they left compared to how we were when they arrived. Stubbs for me made massive strides in building a squad, getting us winning most weeks, bringing fans back and seeing smiles everywhere around the club. The first year in the league he did well finishing above The Rangers and very unlucky not to knock them out the play offs. Second year he did brilliantly in the Cups and obviously brought back the Scottish. The league fizzled out and the play offs saw us defeated by a decent Falkirk side and some unbelievable refereeing. Compared to where we started he gets plus points in most things.
    Lennon took a Cup Winning team and added some grit and a bit more pragmatism and got us up. He them added a few signing that really worked with the Stubbs majority and had a great run at the league last year and a decent run in Europe this year. Another couple of poor windows and terrible form and style sees him leave with a squad that imo is worse than the one he inherited and in a faily poor league position. The fans are now not smiling and the whole club seems far more like when Butcher left than when Stubbs did.

I really rate Stubbs but I think there is merit in those saying we would have to bring his whole team in and then you would be talking about 2 or 3 year deals. What we should be looking for is a galvanising and positive manager like Stubbs. Lennon appears to be able to do that job when things are going well but he is far to quick to start divisions when results go the other way. I always felt Stubbs was talking about what Hibs were doing but Lennon was talking about what he was doing.

Let's get on plan again, identify the football we want to play and the style of coach we want and then get someone in. Results have been so poor it is unlikely we will get worse and the teams in the bottom two spots are a long way back. There are some good players on the books but we need to get a couple of forwards in before the break. They don't have to be world beaters and needn't be permanent.

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post

My thoughts exactly, I don't really want Stubbs back on a permanent basis, but he did have a good record against Hearts, Rangers etc, and of course the SC win, so we could do a hell of a lot worse than bring him in at least till the end of the season. If it worked it would work in Stubbs' favour too as far as redeeming his reputation outside Hibs is concerned. Having said that I would be looking to bring somebody else in next season. Just my opinion though.

Coaching Staff The Green Goblin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil MaGlass View Post
    Imagne if Stubbs became caretaket mahager and won us the Cup AGAIN, christ this place would go into meltdown, me included.
    Its actually not a bad idea, he has the respect of some of the players already.
    I was just thinking that. It would be unreal.

@hibs.net private member Baader's Avatar
    It probably makes sense on number of levels. We need an interim manager it appears. He knows the club, the board and is available. Would imagine he will at least be considered.

Coaching Staff
    He won't get it
    I sincerely hope not, what is going on just now is like a throwback to yesteryear & all the dreary football no hope teams. I've been there done that got the tee shirt.

Quote Originally Posted by Lago View Post
    I sincerely hope not, what is going on just now is like a throwback to yesteryear & all the dreary football no hope teams. I've been there done that got the tee shirt.
    You’re not really lumping Stubbs into that era of “no hope teams” are you?

If the question is Tommy Wright or Kenny Miller

then the answer is Alan Stubbs

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    What happened with Stubbs and Doolan?

First Team Breakthrough
    Stubbs has to considered it makes sense if the rumours of in house fight club are true then he's the man to restore the feel-good factor. We have a love affair with Stubbs he's a legend and deserves another go at Hibs especially now. The club is going into a dire direction right now and i rather Lennon sorted this mess out and retains his job, that the suspension serves it purpose giving him time to think about his supposed actions.

On the proviso it's short term initially I could support it for 3 main reasons:

He knows the system and trusts the recruitment team so it may still allow us to finalise any transfers that are close.

He's available so we can get a solution in place quickly to start moving on.

A lot of players know him and speak highly of his man managment. He may be able to galvanise a fractured dressing room.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Diclonius View Post
    What happened with Stubbs and Doolan?
    Doolan moved to Accrington where he played and wouldn’t go with Stubbs to St Mirren. I would be surprised if there was any fall out I read an interview with him recently on how much he loves us and is best mates with Stubbs nearly all his life.

That doesn't really matter as we bottled it at Ibrox in the play off
    Then it doesn't really matter that we finished behind Falkirk cause we bottled it in the play off then too.