hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    @hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Lunch on Day 3 and it is nearly impossible to see anything other than England ambling to a win and saving some face from this tour.

Critical moments in the morning session were Hetmyer droppings the simplest of catches off Gabriel’s bowling (he was not happy!!) and Keemo Paul having to be stretchered off with what looked a hamstring or a thigh strain after trying to run the ball down in the field.

Hetmyer’s catch would have been the end of Denly early on. As it is, he is now homing in on what will be a hugely confidence-boosting half-century. At the other end Joe Root has the chance to finally put runs on the board, which would be a great relief to him I imagine.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

2. Log in to remove the advert

Windies 10/2 chasing 485. It seems amazing how often positions can reverse from test match to test match between the same 2 sides, eg. Eng vs Pak last year. (I freely concede this is only my impression and may be bollocks )

Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Windies 10/2 chasing 485. It seems amazing how often positions can reverse from test match to test match between the same 2 sides, eg. Eng vs Pak last year. (I freely concede this is only my impression and may be bollocks )
    Nah, you’re right.

The difference in pitches can have a huge effect.

For this match, the Windies were without their captain, who is top of the ICC rankings for all-rounders.

They then lost his replacement in the bowling line-up to injury.

Meanwhile England brought in Mark Wood who had an immediate impact, which in retrospect maybe should have been before now. I had actually forgotten he was in the squad - I think he was a late replacement for someone else.

And I guess the batting finally clicked a bit for England, which was long overdue given their middle order strength, notwithstanding a fired-up Windies attack on hard wickets.

I’ve been a little disappointed in Shai Hope, but he has years ahead of him. I’ve really taken to Kemal Roach though - clever, nagging bowler with what appears to e a great attitude. Hetmyer is exciting and I look forward to seeing more of him and likewise the keeper Dowrich looks lively.

There’s a lot of youth in this Windies side so there is no shortage of potential. It would be good to see that translated into success - good for the Windies but good for Test cricket as well.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

So it's all over, England got the win they were always going to get after the earlier innings, credit to them for picking themselves back up after the first two Tests.

Lovely cricket at the end as Roston Chase closed in on a rather unexpected century. He was just short of it when Shannon Gabriel at the other end gave away his wicket. Keemo Paul, who was carrying a quadriceps strain that had kept him out the game since he did it earlier in the match hobbled out to bat with him as last man.

Paul couldn't run between the wickets so he had to hold down his end to let the ball go back onto Chase, which he did. That allowed Chase to hit the boundary that brought him his ton.

Not satisfied with that, Paul then faced a barrage from Stokes. Unable to run, he had to leave or go for it, and he hit three boundaries before miscuing and looping it back to Stokes, caught and bowled.

Stokes displayed a rather distasteful side to his character - having caught the ball and thus dismissed Paul, he viciously hurled it just past him at the stumps. Most bowlers would have just celebrated with their teammates.

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    Chris Gayle has hit four balls out of the ground!! Unbelievable batting. It's not real cricket like test matches though!!

Quote Originally Posted by weecounty hibby View Post
    Chris Gayle has hit four balls out of the ground!! Unbelievable batting. It's not real cricket like test matches though!!
    T20 has really given 50 over cricket a kick up the arse. Amazing things happening regularly.

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    They're all at it now. Bravo has just hit one over the stands as well. England are really toiling here

Quote Originally Posted by weecounty hibby View Post
    They're all at it now. Bravo has just hit one over the stands as well. England are really toiling here
    361 not a huge target these days. Game on.

361 not a huge target these days. Game on.
    Looking good so far.

A big century from the Universe Boss after a slow start. The total is decent and I’m not sure England have managed that sort of chase in the Caribbean before but this is an England who are rightly considered the strongest ODI side in the world and so far, the openers are scoring at speed. Roy, in particular, looking comfortable and when he is in form he tends to stay in and score big.

Good to see Oshane Thomas getting a bowl. He’s been hit for runs but it’s all good experience and he is bowling 140kph+ every time.

Quote Originally Posted by Mibbes Aye View Post
    Looking good so far.

A big century from the Universe Boss after a slow start. The total is decent and I’m not sure England have managed that sort of chase in the Caribbean before but this is an England who are rightly considered the strongest ODI side in the world and so far, the openers are scoring at speed. Roy, in particular, looking comfortable and when he is in form he tends to stay in and score big.

Good to see Oshane Thomas getting a bowl. He’s been hit for runs but it’s all good experience and he is bowling 140kph+ every time.
    Roy’s hundred in 65 balls!

I was a bit blasé about the target. 361 would be the 5th highest successful 50 over chase and best ever by England. There are loads of higher totals but not winning 2nd innings.

Correction- 4th best.
    Last edited by JeMeSouviens; 20-02-2019 at 09:24 PM.

You’ve got to wonder if Roy is worth a test spot? Unconventional!

You’ve got to wonder if Roy is worth a test spot? Unconventional!
    He bats middle order for Surrey, so it would be experimental to have him as an opener, but it is hard to see where England go next in terms of top-three selection.

There's no space for him further down the order. I think if he has a good World Cup he is pushing for Ashes selection. A lot depends on how the county championship pans out but I have a sneaking suspicion Vince will be recalled to number three. Burns likely to keep his spot.

Entertaining innings from the Windies in the second ODI, ending up 289-6 which doesn’t look too far off par for this pitch, though the England ODI team are so, so strong at bat.

Highlight was undoubtedly the 22 year-old Shimron Hetmyer. I mentioned him during the Test series and he came in to steady the ship for the Windies, knocking off 104 from 82 balls. He’s quite the talent and has a big future without a doubt.

England’s run chase should be fun and well within their capabilities though the pitch will offer something to the Windies. I’m in Glasgow and just about to head out for dinner however, so both the Hibs game and the England innings will be text updates only!

So England collapsed in that manner that England have so often done in the Caribbean, though usually wearing Test whites rather than ODI pyjamas.

That shouldn’t overshadow the achievements of Sheldon Cottrell who blazed though the batting order with 5-46, aided and abetted by Jason Holder who took a creditable 3-53, including the crucial wickets of Stokes and Buttler. Something for Oshane Thomas as well, having Root caught just as he was settling in and steadying the ship after England’s early loss of their openers.

Could shape up to be a very decent series this.