hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar

Windies vs England

Decent start by the Windies, currently 123-1 pushing on for halfway through the first day.

A quickfire 44 from debutant John Campbell was a good entrance into Test cricket. The Windies now have Braithwaite and Hope at bat. I really like Shai Hope, he's a great young batsman with huge potential.

The bowling should be interesting. The Windies seem to have gone with four pacemen while England have opted for two spinners and of their quicks only Stokes can be argued to be seriously fast, though I can understand why England went with the slower Curran on the basis that he offers so much with the bat.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

2. Log in to remove the advert

And how quickly things turn. early tea taken because of light rain, with Stokes and England managing to snap up two wickets.

I think the Windies are still well-poised, I also think England are over-reliant on Stokes to find the breakthrough in the bowling, especially in such strong heat. But I also think England have proven strength at bat.

All in all it feels nicely balanced after the first two sessions.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    Watching cricket in the West Indies makes me wish I was 5 years older and about to retire. This will certainly be something I do when I am retired

Fairly even so far today. I'd like to see the Windies make a competitive series of it. It's a shame to see how far they've slipped. I grew up watching Lloyd, Richards, Greenidge, Haynes, Marshall, Holding etc. Great players, great team

Quote Originally Posted by weecounty hibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Fairly even so far today. I'd like to see the Windies make a competitive series of it. It's a shame to see how far they've slipped. I grew up watching Lloyd, Richards, Greenidge, Haynes, Marshall, Holding etc. Great players, great team
    Truly dominant and formidable

Play called at 264-8.

If the second session was England's the third session was heading the way of the Windies until the new ball was taken. Three wickets for Anderson and one at the death for Stokes have shifted the balance somewhat.

Very impressed by Shimron Hetmyer though. Another very talented-looking Windies batsman. I've certainly enjoyed having one eye on the cricket more than one on the football.

Good day in the end for England. Anderson is a genius and I have no idea how England will replace him when he eventually retires

Left by mutual consent!
    Good day in the end for England. Anderson is a genius and I have no idea how England will replace him when he eventually retires
    Anderson is brilliant, if he hadn't been such a slow burner and had hit the ground running in the early stages of his career then he would be close to Warnes test wicket haul right now and looking towards Muralis. I can see him continuing until he is 40, he is in such good shape.

Its a shame Steyn has been dogged by injury in recent years as its likely he would be up there with Anderson in the test wickets count right now, the battle between them would have been great to watch develop. Steyn is a better bowler in my opinion though, his average says it all. In fact the current three SA quicks averages are scary.

Anderson finishes with 5/46, Windies all out 289.

Big pressure on Keaton Jennings. He got that big century in Sri Lanka but didn't back it up. I'd imagine if he doesn't do well in this series that'll be him?

I thought Hetmyer played with a real flourish, probably had licence to do so. Anderson finished with great figures.

Shaky start for England, two down just after lunch but they have enormous batting depth.

The pitch does look like it has something to offer a tall paceman though and the Windies are stocked with them. I particularly like Holder, I think he developing into a fine, clever bowler.

Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post
    Anderson finishes with 5/46, Windies all out 289.

Big pressure on Keaton Jennings. He got that big century in Sri Lanka but didn't back it up. I'd imagine if he doesn't do well in this series that'll be him?
    The problem with the England openers is I doubt there is anyone left!

I heard one commentator describe Burns as “...the last cab on the rank” and he just hasn’t performed at Test level.

I think I argued before that they should stick with a pair and let them find form, however long it takes. They have such a long tail that they could get away with that against a lot of sides in a lot of conditions. Another option was to persuade Bairstow to open but they seem to have identified him as the solution to the number three problem.

Six wickets for 19 runs in just a few overs, including a five-fer for Kemar Roach.

As English collapses in the Caribbean goes, it's just like the old days

AS I type the Windies introduce the fourth of their pace quartet, there really is no respite for England. Joseph is very much learning his trade, he's only 22, but his first-class figures are very respectable.

Looks like Sam Curran has been told to go for it though.

Just for anyone interested, I'm on Yorkshire CCC's mailing list and they are running a competition around this series with a prize of hospitality for two at Headingley for the ODI against Pakistan in May.

It closes at midnight tonight. I assume you just have to sign up to their mailing list and you will get an email with a ink to the competition.

The competition itself is quite fun - a point per correct prediction. Which team will win the series, which player will score most runs, take most wickets, take most catches etc etc.

It's a bit of harmless fun but a decent prize. I was very tempted to go with Root for most catches as he is pretty efficient in the slips but changed my mind and went for Dowrich, the Windies keeper. It felt a bit counter-intuitive but he's got great movement and the Windies are bowling from such height that the ball is going to him regularly. Two catches already which is the same as Foakes and one less than Root but as things stand Dowrich looks he will be the one getting more opportunities

77 all out. The question is whether the Windies enforce the follow-on. It's not common these days but the Windies have only bowled 30 overs and two balls!!

Ooft. 77 all out. Just like the old days in the Caribbean.

Quote Originally Posted by Mibbes Aye View Post
    77 all out. The question is whether the Windies enforce the follow-on. It's not common these days but the Windies have only bowled 30 overs and two balls!!
    I think they will probably bat again. Even if they only make 200 that will be beyond England leaving them probably two days to bowl them out

I think they will probably bat again. Even if they only make 200 that will be beyond England leaving them probably two days to bowl them out
    Yup, you're right. I suppose one of the factors is that there's little or no chance of facing the two English spinners on a deteriorating pitch, though it looks like it's firm and with a decent bit of bounce.

Windies not hanging about, taking 13 of the first two overs.

England fighting back, Windies 61/4.

Shows how much I know. The pitch still looks pretty decent, though not entirely flat but Moeen has come in and taken three wickets.

Windies with a lead of 273 with six wickets in hand though.

tbh, they’ve probably already got enough at 273 ahead.

Hetmyer and Dorwich have really motored the Windies on, must have added more than fifty runs as a partnership so far.

And the Windies finish on 127-6, a lead of 339 but still with three days' play left.

Over in Brisbane an entertaining first day in Australia vs Sri Lanka.

Australia bowled out SRL for 144 with Mitchell Starc nabbing his 200th Test wicket. Pat Cummins was on form again with 4-39 but probably the standout was their Test debutant Jhye Richardson who took 3-26, all out of the SRL top order and probably could have had more. His cleanbowl of Mendis was a lovely delivery and worth a quick look on YouTube for those who like that sort of thing.

What would definitely have been worth a trip to YouTube was Travis Head's spectacular catch off Nathan Lyon's bowling. He spun through the air, well off the ground but maybe jumped a quarter-second too early and the ball hit his wrist rather than being caught. No wicket, but it would have been a beauty if he had got it.

Back to Richardson and he looks the part. He already has a decent record in first-class and short games and at the age of 22, he could have a career. He certainly adds another option to what was already a pretty strong Australian pace attack.

Credit to the Sri Lankans who batted aggressively and entertainingly, with a number of reverse sweeps. For those less familiar with cricket terminology, this is a particular and peculiar batsman's shot that takes quite a lot of technique to pull off successfully, but if executed thus can yield four runs (and a couple of very adept players can even manage sixes from it). It is very unortodox however, to the extent that I once read it described as the equivalent in football of taking a penalty with your head........

Atleast Keaton Jennings has saved his career by being England’s top run scorer😊

Through the night the Australians managed to get on top of SRL with their batting, without being too dominant.

Biggest thing of note was probably Labuschagne and Head establishing a decent partnership for 150 or so runs in the middle order. Early days and on a home pitch against one of the weaker Test sides but if they can build on partnerships like this then it is another step forward in Australia’s recovery.

Travis Head looking good, he’s just gone past his Test best of 72 and without jinxing it could be on for a big score and his first century. At the other end the Aussies have another debutant in Kurtis Patterson. Don’t know much about him other than he has relatively decent figures for NSW but I guess this is an opportunity to push for Ashes selection in a very fluid Aussie batting line-up.

I knew I would jinx it!

Head out from a great lbw off Lakmal and as I type he has also just got Paine caught beautifully in the slips. On a
    hat-trick now but it’s the end of the over so he will have to wait!

No hat-trick for Lakmal!

It was a build-up though, with four slips, a gully and a point. You don’t see that very much these days!

It’s been a torrid few deliveries for Cummins but if he can settle in then Australia can push on and probably seal the match.

Australia end up with a first innings lead of 179.

Mitchell Starc fulfilled the duty expected of Australian fast bowlers with a swashbuckling 26 runs from 25 deliveries. The newbie Patterson managed 30 and will be disappointed not to have gone further but I reckon he might be looking like a middle order pick.

For SRL, it was all about Lakmal. 5-75 and no shortage of effort or skill in taking his wickets.

Sri Lanka get put back in for the last few overs of today’s play and Pat Cummins takes a wicket with the last ball of the evening. Australia must be happy with that script.

Fantastic morning session from the Windies.

Dorwich and Holder left the field last night and left the field again at lunch today.

A 117-run partnership, half-centuries apiece.

England's bowlers will be feeling the heat and Holder has exposed them remorselessly, now on 80 from 93 balls.

The lead is 449, it's just a question of how long the Windies want to keep England toiling in the field.