hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mibbes Aye View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Fantastic morning session from the Windies.

Dorwich and Holder left the field last night and left the field again at lunch today.

A 117-run partnership, half-centuries apiece.

England's bowlers will be feeling the heat and Holder has exposed them remorselessly, now on 80 from 93 balls.

The lead is 449, it's just a question of how long the Windies want to keep England toiling in the field.
    If I was captain I would keep them in the field all day and maybe have a dart at the openers in the last half hour of the day. Buy I would have made a terrible captain!!

2. Log in to remove the advert

England get to the close on 56/0. Not a single wicket fell today, bizarrely.

Presumably they’re going to spend the night raindancing.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CalvinoHFC PSN ID: CalvinoHFC
    Sri Lanka get put back in for the last few overs of today’s play and Pat Cummins takes a wicket with the last ball of the evening. Australia must be happy with that script.
    I was at The Gabba yesterday and that was definitely the highlight... some reward for managing to last until the final ball!

As you say, a decent day for Australia without being too spectacular.

Really happy that Jhye has such a good first day. I was interested to see how he’d get on at test level as his shirt form exploits speak for themselves. We’ve definitely missed him for the Scorchers in the BBL for most of this season.

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Calvin View Post
    I was at The Gabba yesterday and that was definitely the highlight... some reward for managing to last until the final ball!

As you say, a decent day for Australia without being too spectacular.

Really happy that Jhye has such a good first day. I was interested to see how he’d get on at test level as his shirt form exploits speak for themselves. We’ve definitely missed him for the Scorchers in the BBL for most of this season.
    I watch a bit of the short games when I can and watch the Test side when I can, including this series, sleep permitting

How do you rate Jyhe and who would you plump for in the batting order?
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

Drama on the stoke of lunch! England had the morning session, with Burns steadily piling on the runs. There's two full days left and a strong batting line-up so you wouldn't have ruled out the admittedly tenuous possibility that England could see things out, or dare say it, even make history and win the thing.

However, Chase snagged Burns with a ball that just went right through his guard and it's now 134-2, trailing by 493.

Burns had a good innings but he looks so vulnerable - he tries to play down the slips all the time and a better fielding side will undo him, you've got to think.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

Vital wicket for the Windies with Chase taking Root, caught in the slips with a pretty straight one for 22.

England now 167-4 midway through day four.

The Windies have passed up a couple of chances, most notably Gabriel overstepping the crease for a no-ball earlier in the innings.

Chase is having a great game though. His figures today are remarkable compared to his career average.

Chase again, this time bowling Stokes with another straightish delivery.

Just before tea, so timely, and also Stokes was really starting to settle in.

Personal consolation for Stokes was that he reached his 3000 in Test runs, joining that small band who have accomplished that and taken 100 Test wickets.

As for Chase, I would have to look it up but I would be astonished if he doesn't end up with his best career figures in this game.

Tight field and Moeen plays a terrible shot to lose his wicket. Tea called, England 217-6 and there can't be too long to go when they resume surely.

Chase now on 4-50. I checked his stats and his best is 5-121 against India in Jamaica a couple of years ago. He's certainly on course to better that.

He's only taken four in an innings on three previous occasions, all on home soil other than once - against England at Edgbaston.

All done and the Windies win by a handsome margin.

They have a really good, young side and I'm convinced they will climb the rankings as time goes on.

Roston Chase finished with 8-60. Remarkable stuff from a part-time spinner who doesn't really spin it at all, but he's been lethal and those figures are what any bowler would be happy with as a career-best.

All done and the Windies win by a handsome margin.

They have a really good, young side and I'm convinced they will climb the rankings as time goes on.

Roston Chase finished with 8-60. Remarkable stuff from a part-time spinner who doesn't really spin it at all, but he's been lethal and those figures are what any bowler would be happy with as a career-best.
    Great to see some life in Windies test cricket.

Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post
    Great to see some life in Windies test cricket.
    by tons.

I was lucky enough to see their Test side last year and there were positive signs - Shai Hope in particular.

They have played out England very well in this match.

Second Test starts on Thursday and there are certainly suggestions of changes in the English line-up.

It seems a given they will bring Broad back in and probably drop Rashid. If I was Jennings I would be worried about my peg but it is difficult to see what options England have left. Likewise Burns - he made a decent knock in the game but it was after many failures. England don't really have any fresh options though.

I don't expect the Windies to change anything - if anything, some of the younger players took their chance and staked a claim.

It's a curious situation. England are rightly going into the World Cup as one of the favourites. At Test level they are strangely in disarray.

They have enormous batting depth but rely on a pace attack that works best at home and has the clock ticking. The Ashes will confront them with a formidable pace attack that can work in English conditions, alongside Lyon who has matured into quite the bowler.

Chuck in the return of Smith and Warner to what was an unsettled batting line-up and we have game on.

Another terrible start - England 17-2.

All out for 187. Pitch reportedly showed lots of uneven bounce. We’ll see in the next hour and a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post
    All out for 187. Pitch reportedly showed lots of uneven bounce. We’ll see in the next hour and a bit.
    Aww naw.......(looks in wardrobe for anything remotely connected to Antigua and Barbuda 😁)

Edit: Fails..

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CalvinoHFC PSN ID: CalvinoHFC
    I watch a bit of the short games when I can and watch the Test side when I can, including this series, sleep permitting

How do you rate Jyhe and who would you plump for in the batting order?
    Sorry for the delayed response to this one!

I don't watch that much test stuff to be quite honest (least of all Australia) but have been down here for the last 5 weeks so seemed rude not to.

It was great to see Joe Burns play so well yesterday and today and is now (IMO) a lock for the Ashes. I personally wouldn't let David Warner back in when the test side seem to be doing alright... but at the same time I'm not as impressed as the Australian media seem to be by Khawaja (far too mercurial) and Harris (no great shakes but I do concede he's only tested v India.)

As for Jhye, he got a bit of a wake up call today but I think he's still good enough for ashes selection. In fact, I rate him above Starc just now - I think he's more consistent.

I was at The Gabba again for my third Scorchers game of the year last night and the Marsh brothers have truly lost the plot, and even Andrew Tye who is my favourite seems to have dropped the ball in more ways than one. However Jason Behrendorff performed fantastically and I think it's really a shame he got dropped for the third ODI last month as that's when Jhye cemented his test call up - I'd have liked to see him tested in the long form.

Quote Originally Posted by Calvin View Post
    Sorry for the delayed response to this one!

I don't watch that much test stuff to be quite honest (least of all Australia) but have been down here for the last 5 weeks so seemed rude not to.

It was great to see Joe Burns play so well yesterday and today and is now (IMO) a lock for the Ashes. I personally wouldn't let David Warner back in when the test side seem to be doing alright... but at the same time I'm not as impressed as the Australian media seem to be by Khawaja (far too mercurial) and Harris (no great shakes but I do concede he's only tested v India.)

As for Jhye, he got a bit of a wake up call today but I think he's still good enough for ashes selection. In fact, I rate him above Starc just now - I think he's more consistent.

I was at The Gabba again for my third Scorchers game of the year last night and the Marsh brothers have truly lost the plot, and even Andrew Tye who is my favourite seems to have dropped the ball in more ways than one. However Jason Behrendorff performed fantastically and I think it's really a shame he got dropped for the third ODI last month as that's when Jhye cemented his test call up - I'd have liked to see him tested in the long form.
    Cheers for that, I’ve seen a little bit of Behrendorff. He has good figures but it’s now looking tight to try and break into the Test side as a pace bowler, given the strength they have.

Sri Lanka aren’t in a great place and have had bad luck with injuries but the series must be a real confidence boost for Australia, especially after this Test with Patterson, Head, Khawaja and Burns getting centuries.

Im not a Khawaja fan, I really don’t rate him but he has changed his style and shed pounds to make himself fitter and the selectors seem to have decided he is who they want.

Really looking forward to the Ashes now. I was always convinced by the Aussie bowling attack but less sure of their batting. All of a sudden the line-up has a lot more confidence and the prospect of Smith returning.

Lack of updates on the WI series due to being on holiday

What a state England have got themselves into. They went to the Caribbean confident of a series win to set them up nicely for the Ashes and have been out-thought and out-fought by a very talented and young Windies side.

Opening bat is still not settled, I think they have to stick with Jennings for however long it takes, he does have talent and is a fine fielder.

Ive talked a lot about the strength and depth of English batting but the senior players were cruelly exposed on this trip and couldn’t deal with a formidable pace quartet let alone the almost comically-straight spin of Roston Chase.

England are better than this and will play better on home soil but this is an emerging Windies side. I think this is the first Test series they have won in ten or so years, bar beating Zimbabwe and Bangladesh.

Big questions for England ahead of the Ashes though to be honest they can probably produce one more solid series from Anderson and Broad, and they have batsmen somewhere between three and nine to put on big scores.

Third Test starts on Saturday and there are big decisions for England to make. It will be fascinating to see what they decide team-wise.

What doesn’t help them is Australia finding momentun. Mitchell Starc seems to have gotten over his slump with ten wickets in the Second Test and regularly bowling over 150 kph. Cummins had another excellent game and has some ridiculous average in this series. Richardson has emerged as a player who gives them the option of a four-man pace attack though they probably won’t need that in England.

Batting-wise, there have been big scores for most of the top and middle order and the prospect of Smith and Warner returning.

England really need to sort out the top three and it is telling that they are publicly debating whether to go positive or defensive. I think they are desperate for the return of Haseeb Hameed, whom they need to stick with, and then do likewise with someone else, probably Jennings. Next step is finding a number three and I’m not convinced that Bairstow is the answer though I wouldn’t rule him out as an opener..

In the absense of a natural candidate, and I’ve said this before, I think Root needs to man up and take the slot. It might lower his average but he is the best-equipped in the current squad to do it.

Just watching the highlights of SRL’s second innings against Australia.

Rightly Starc and Cummins pick up the plaudits for tremendous and aggressive bowling but I’m ever so impressed with Jhye Richardson.

On the right pitch and in the right conditions the thought of Starc and Hazlewood opening the bowling and at the change, being replaced by Cummins and Richardson, must be bloody terrifying. No respite whatsoever and then the trickery of Lyon and the decent-enough part-time bowling of Smith and Head.

I said earlier I didn’t think Australia would opt for four quicks in the Ashes but there’s are at least a couple of pitches where it could be viable and when it comes down to it, winning a Test means taking twenty wickets first and foremost.

Assuming Warner and Smith slot in then I think you are talking about them keeping Burns in. I would like to see Harris keep his place but I don’t see them dropping Khawaja. That leaves Head and Patterson fighting it out for the last place as they will need to retain Lyon.

Ideal world, they go Warner and Burns up top, maybe rest Harris or go with him if they feel they can’t bring Warner back. Smith at three, Head at four and Patterson at five. That still leaves some batting depth as Starc and Cummins are more than capable of putting on runs and Hazlewood isn’t shoddy either. And it gives them a four-pronged pace attack, a world class spinner and a couple of decent back-ups.

Harsh for Harris, Labuschagne and Khawaja but that’s the nature of the game at this level.
    Last edited by Mibbes Aye; 04-02-2019 at 08:53 PM.

Injury concerns for England ahead of the Third Test in St Lucia with Stokes, Foakes and Woakes all carrying sprains, strains or knocks (bizarre that their names all rhyme, I wonder if there has ever been a Test squad with that many rhyming names before...).

If Stokes is out, Woakes would have been the obvious replacement. If Foakes is out then that calls for a serious rejigging of the order. If all three are out then England have real issues on a pitch that is likely to be hard and full of bounce.

For the Windies, Ricky Holder is out, ridiculously suspended for his team bowling their overs too slowly in the previous Test. I’m hoping his replacement for this match is Oshane Thomas. He is another youngster, 21, tall and very, very fast and has been attracting lots of praise both in the Windies and for his performances on the sub-continent. It will be interesting to see how he goes with the red ball.
    Last edited by Mibbes Aye; 07-02-2019 at 11:04 PM.

Just caught the latter half of a Big Bash League game from Australia - Brisbane Heat vs Sydney Thunder.

The Heat chased their target in around half their twenty overs, in no short thanks to Ben Cutting, who hit something like 81 from 30 deliveries in an absolutely enthralling knock. If anyone has ever played Stick Cricket on their phone or tablet it was basically that sort of style

I think he retired not that long ago from first-class cricket (i.e. red ball at the highest level nationally and Tests).

It is easy to see why the likes of T20 are so enjoyable. Hopefully a balance can be found between the sheer exhilaration of the short games and the beauty and intricacies of the longer game.

England look to have seriously rejigged if I’ve got this right.

Jennings in at first bat, Denly moving down to three (which is his county position I think). Foakes has been dropped altogether despite being fit, which means Bairstow drops down the order. Neither Root or Bairstow will be unhappy with that although whether it suits England is another matter.

Mark Wood replaces Sam Curran. Curran is an exceptional young talent but has been murdered on this tour. Wood offers height and pace but he hasn’t really done anything to date in his dozen or so Tests. His first-class figures are borderline decent but he is now on a pitch where if he can’t succeed it’s difficult to see where it goes for him.

To complicate matters, Curran may play if Stokes is ruled out. England have worked Stokes relentlessly on this tour and must have an eye to the World Cup and the Ashes. Given it is a dead rubber I wouldn’t blame them for protecting him.

For the Windies it looks like a hard, fast but fair pitch. Shannon Gabriel took 13 here I believe, which put him third in the best match results by a Windies bowler at home.

I’ve not been able to find the Windies team yet but essentially it is a question of who replaces Holder. As said previously, I would love to see Oshane Thomas completing the pace quartet but it sounds like it may be Keemo Paul who gets the nod, an even younger talent who is seen as an all-rounder.

Looking forward to it

Stokes plays but as per previous, Jennings and Wood come in for Foakes and Curran with some rejigging in the batting order.

Windies have gone for the 20-year old all-rounder Keemo Paul rather than Oshane Thomas. It gives them more batting depth so it is more of a like-for-like replacement for Holder but I would have liked to have seen Oshane Thomas.

England toiling at tea on day one, 114-4.

Roach has produced good movement into the batsmen, Paul has produced good movement away from the batsmen. I’ve been impressed with him though he has had a few wayward deliveries, which I’m putting down to nerves. Nevertheless at this rate England’s highest scorer might be Extras!

The big worry for England is that all three of their potential openers went cheaply and to be honest with poor execution. The Windies have got bounce and movement but it’s not been horrific yet.

All about England after tea, totally dominant play from Stokes and Buttler with a 124-run partnership to move England onto 231-4.

The pair are both in the sixties and must be eyeing up centuries though I imagine they will face some tough early overs tomorrow.

Rob Key making an interesting point in analysis that while Denly and Burns didn’t get much in the way of runs they did soak up overs to a greater extent than had happened in the first two Tests, making it easier for the likes of Stokes and Buttler.

I think that’s a fair comment but the top three need to offer more than just take the shine off the ball when we get to the Ashes.

Cracking day’s play yesterday in St Lucia. The Windies wrapped up the English innings before lunch, giving them a torrid time with some really aggressive bowling. After lunch the Windies opening pair motored along nicely until Moeen was brought in and snared both of them.

The best was yet to come for England however, with Mark Wood finally being introduced to the attack. He was so keen he fell over a few times after his deliveries but he was matching the pace of the fastest Windies bowlers and their batsmen couldn’t cope with it. Wood ended up with 5-41 overshadowing an excellent 4-36 from Moeen.

For the Windies Dowrich and Roach offered some resistance but it was nowhere near enough. The two highlights from play were both catches and worth looking for on YouTube or the Sky site - first one by Dowrich, second one by Broad. Different but both tremendous.

England a man down first ball of the day.

Cracking day’s play yesterday in St Lucia. The Windies wrapped up the English innings before lunch, giving them a torrid time with some really aggressive bowling. After lunch the Windies opening pair motored along nicely until Moeen was brought in and snared both of them.

The best was yet to come for England however, with Mark Wood finally being introduced to the attack. He was so keen he fell over a few times after his deliveries but he was matching the pace of the fastest Windies bowlers and their batsmen couldn’t cope with it. Wood ended up with 5-41 overshadowing an excellent 4-36 from Moeen.

For the Windies Dowrich and Roach offered some resistance but it was nowhere near enough. The two highlights from play were both catches and worth looking for on YouTube or the Sky site - first one by Dowrich, second one by Broad. Different but both tremendous.

Clips on this page https://www.skysports.com/cricket/ne...wo-in-st-lucia