hibs.net Messageboard

Callum Hudson-Odoi rejects £85,000 a week Chelsea deal

As it says on the tin...

https://www.skysports.com/football/n...rn-munich-bids

I wonder if Munich are offering more than that or his thinking if he goes to Germany he’s going to develop into a better player.

£85,000 a week. Isn’t this the guy that the Chelsea Boss said he doesn’t think is ready just now for the Premier League. Imagine how much they’d offer if he was ready?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent!
    That is obsene. They should be taxed at 90 percent.

Reckon the contract he signs with Bayern will be quite a bit less than that - I don't think he wants to leave for short-term financial gain.

Suspect he's leaving because Chelsea have a terrible record for giving young players a chance in the first-team because they sack their managers every two years meaning they have every incentive not to give youth a chance.

It's the Jaden Sancho effect. Leave the EPL where you're not getting a game, join the bundesliga, get more minutes, play well, you stay in the team. In a year or two start getting linked with £50m+ moves back to the EPL or elsewhere. Then you're much more likely to get a game and a £250k a week contract.

Chelsea are just trying to save face with their offer.
    Last edited by FRes Hibbie; 21-01-2019 at 02:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by F'Res Hibbie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Reckon the contract he signs with Bayern will be quite a bit less than that - I don't think he wants to leave for short-term financial gain.

Suspect he's leaving because Chelsea have a terrible record for giving young players a chance in the first-team because they sack their managers every two years meaning they have every incentive not to give youth a chance.

It's the Jaden Sancho effect. Leave the EPL where you're not getting a game, join the bundesliga, get more minutes, play well, you stay in the team. In a year or two start getting linked with £50m+ moves back to the EPL or elsewhere. Then you're much more likely to get a game and a £250k a week contract.

I might be wrong but I’m sure I’m the case of Sancho Man City have got a chance to buy him back as long as they meet the highest bid for him? The system used to calculate transfer fees apparently has Sancho valued at about £73 million.

Good decision by him. Willian has been hopeless for 18 months and the lad has never had a shot infront of him. Time to move on and get games.
    Last edited by MWHIBBIES; 22-01-2019 at 06:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LustForLeith View Post
    I might be wrong but I’m sure I’m the case of Sancho Man City have got a chance to buy him back as long as they meet the highest bid for him? The system used to calculate transfer fees apparently has Sancho valued at about £73 million.
    They probably do, it would make sense.

Funny thing is Hudson-Odoi used to keep Sancho out of (trophy-winning) England youth teams not long ago, Sancho has nicked Pulisic's place in the Dortmund team this season by being better than him, Chelsea have agreed to blow £50/60mil on Pulisic in the summer (and they'll play him because of the price tag) and they're going to lose Hudson-Odoi because they've refused to give him a game until recently and it's now too little too late.

If Sancho is now worth that after half a season of first-team football how good could Hudson-Odoi be if they'd just played him from the start of the season?

EPL teams just p155 their mega-bucks tv money advantage up the wall. Crazy.
    Last edited by FRes Hibbie; 21-01-2019 at 03:40 PM.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    They probably do, it would make sense.

Funny thing is Hudson-Odoi used to keep Sancho out of (trophy-winning) England youth teams not long ago, Sancho has nicked Pulisic's place in the Dortmund team this season by being better than him, Chelsea have agreed to blow £50/60mil on Pulisic in the summer (and they'll play him because of the price tag) and they're going to lose Hudson-Odoi because they've refused to give him a game until recently and it's now too little too late.

If Sancho is now worth that after half a season of first-team football how good could Hudson-Odoi be if they'd just played him from the start of the season?

EPL teams just p155 their mega-bucks tv money advantage up the wall. Crazy.
    The ridiculous thing is the likes of Chelsea/City etc, are allowed to sign all these amount of players they can, in the 1st place

I couldn’t even guess how many players they have in their academies, aged 16 and over

@hibs.net private member Baader's Avatar
    Bayern won't be paying him that. There will be guys in Man City reserves who earn more than some in Dortmund's first team.

Can we get him on loan ?

There really needs to be more restrictions on clubs like Chelsea hoarding droves of young talent and making money off loaning them out and rinsing their prospect status dry before selling them off to a mid table team somewhere for 10 million because they never got the settled gametime and consistency of being at a club and for a place longer term, as opposed to short stints in Holland, then Spain etc.

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Good decision by him. William has been hopeless for 18 months and the lad has never had a shot infront of him. Time to move on and get games.
    Opinions! I always thought in the previous couple of seasons “he’s a brilliant player (Willian) and can’t believe he doesn’t start more games” whenever I seen him come off the bench!

Haven’t seen much premier league football lately, maybe he is underperforming.

Fair play to the guy for turning that down because he wants a chance to play football.

@hibs.net private member Winston Ingram's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Absolutely. This is purely a football decision and good on him. I'm pretty sure Chelsea are only playing him now as they've been panicked into it by Bayern's interest.

Chelsea have ruined plenty talent. They've had the best youth team in England for years and not had 1 regular out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    Opinions! I always thought in the previous couple of seasons “he’s a brilliant player (Willian) and can’t believe he doesn’t start more games” whenever I seen him come off the bench!

He starts every single game. He's only missed 7 premier league games in the last 5 years.

@hibs.net private member Winston Ingram's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post

He is by all accounts. He, Pedro and Alonso are the main Chelsea boo boys.

Good assessment.

@hibs.net private member Hibernian Verse's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by southsider View Post
    That is obsene. They should be taxed at 90 percent.
    Hahaha. What?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Milkinho View Post
    Hahaha. What?

I thought the same

If he took that deal he’d be paying north of £2m a year in tax. I’m not sure he needs to pay any more than that.

Is it bad that i don't even know who he is? I should if he's on that kind of dough. Must be one of best in the world?

@hibs.net private member Hibernian Verse's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SirDavidsNapper View Post
    Is it bad that i don't even know who he is? I should if he's on that kind of dough. Must be one of best in the world?
    Not yet, but he will be.

Quote Originally Posted by SirDavidsNapper View Post
    300k are the wages of the best in the world these days, not 85k.

300k are the wages of the best in the world these days, not 85k.
    Yeah, I think 85k puts him on less than Defoe. Horribly obsene amounts of money. How can you even spend over £4m (minus tax) in a year?!

Quote Originally Posted by Juniper Greens View Post
    Yeah, I think 85k puts him on less than Defoe. Horribly obsene amounts of money. How can you even spend over £4m (minus tax) in a year?!
    I watched a documentary ages ago about American sports stars and how such a huge amount of them declare bankruptcy not long after retiring (Broke by ESPN). A mixture of friends and family leaching off you, bad investments and frivelois spending seemed to be the issue. Think in America it was something along the lines of 70% of professional sportsmen do it?

@hibs.net private member Green Man's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: TheMightyJag PSN ID: FiveOClockHero
    Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    I watched a documentary ages ago about American sports stars and how such a huge amount of them declare bankruptcy not long after retiring (Broke by ESPN). A mixture of friends and family leaching off you, bad investments and frivelois spending seemed to be the issue. Think in America it was something along the lines of 70% of professional sportsmen do it?
    When I was younger, most of my wages got squandered, I was very much living for the moment. I can understand young sports stars, with a similar mindset, doing the same thing at a far bigger scale.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Man View Post
    When I was younger, most of my wages got squandered, I was very much living for the moment. I can understand young sports stars, with a similar mindset, doing the same thing at a far bigger scale.
    Yup. Get a big contract, buy a mansion for your parents and a nice car or two. Houses and cars for your siblings, mansion for yourself and a few nice cars seemed to be the way it went for the American guys. By the time you’ve done all that you could conceivably have blown 4 or 5m. Then you get one bad injuy, you’re finished, can’t afford to maintain a mansion and exotic cars and suddenly you’ve nothing to show for it.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Man View Post
    As the great GB once said ‘ I spent 90 percent of my wages on fast cars, women & drink. The rest I just squandered’.

He starts every single game. He's only missed 7 premier league games in the last 5 years.
    Seems exactly half of his premier league appearances in the two seasons previous to this one were from the bench. Given the way I worded my first post, I think it was fair enough. Albeit you may well disagree with the opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by southsider View Post
    As the great GB once said ‘ I spent 90 percent of my wages on fast cars, women & drink. The rest I just squandered’.
    I thought the great GB’s quotes were all digs at Scotland?! ;)

Chelsea have a funny old way of dealing with players. It them, sell them then watch as the players become really good, the type that they could do with. Imagine for instance a team with Salah and De Bruyne playing in it?

Also, you wonder if this contract offer has had a hand in Hazard once again declaring his intention of playing for Real Madrid?

Willian is a great player, but he is very inconsistent. Just watched him against Sheffield Wednesday in the FA Cup and he was brilliant, but in other games he is completely anonymous. Hudson-Odoi was playing on the right wing and played well too, I reckon he'll probably be a better player than the likes of Willian in the future. I still hate everything about Chelsea though, the only reason I was watching the game was because I had a bet on it.