hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Claims to Lame

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar

Claims to Lame

When I was in Galway for Christmas and New Year I watched the derby in McGinns Hop House, and Daryl Horgan’s brother works there behind the bar. He wasn’t in working on that day though as he was over for the game.
    Anyone else got any equally unimpressive anecdotes or achievments?

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member G15 Hibs's Avatar
    I once met someone who claimed to know Kate Bush's gynecologist. I have no recollection of who this person was, or when or where the conversation took place. Thinking about it now, I can't be entirely sure it didn't happen to someone on a television programme and not me.

My claim to fame when I was wee was that I'd seen Danny McGrain's *****.

Nothing dodgy. My Dad spent a short spell as club doctor at Cowdenbeath (my grandparents knew the Ewings and he was roped in that way). They had a testimonial for one of their players and played Rangers in a friendly with a few special guests playing, including Danny McGrain and John Blackley. That was the first game I ever went to. I got to go into the home changing room after the game to meet all of the players (including the naked and hairy Celtic star.) I boasted about it for a while before realising(the hard way) that it wasn't really cool in any way.

I bumped into Ron Atkinsons wife at Tenerife Airport. I apologised, she said it was fine, he started to walk away and she followed.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

This has the potential to be the best thread in years.

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    I used to work alongside Scott Browns brother, not anymore but in the same industry. Still see and speak to him most weeks. Really nice guy.
    Hibs.nets negative posting legend and unofficial ticket agent.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee-87
    My Dad took us to a race course one Friday night in the mid to late 90's, think it was Hamilton, and Billy Dodds was in front of us. My Dad said go and flick one of his big lugs, which I did. Billy Dodds was not amused.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee-87
    I also worked at the Highland show for a few years in a row. I was 16 and got to serve Nell McAndrew in the hospitality suite. Was the best day.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibee87 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My Dad took us to a race course one Friday night in the mid to late 90's, think it was Hamilton, and Billy Dodds was in front of us. My Dad said go and flick one of his big lugs, which I did. Billy Dodds was not amused.
    That would have been hilarious to see.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibee87 View Post
    Funny you say that.

I was at Dundee Uni in the late 90s. Billy Dodds had been at United and by this time was a Rangers player. I was in the famous Mardi Gras nightspot with a friend of mine who was a Celtic fan from Ballymena. He said to me in his unique accent "hey Smartie - there's that Billy Dodds. Wouldn't it be funny if I went up and gave him a wedgie?" I agreed, so he went over to give Dodds a wedgie.

I don't know what exactly went wrong but instead of giving him the promised wedgie he only succeeded in lifting an utterly bemused Billy Dodds up into the air and holding him there for a bit before putting him back down again.

It was so much funnier than it sounds.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    We sat next to a (then) 36 year old Viv Lumsden who was having a coffee in the Four Winds bar at the Glasgow Garden Festival. When she left one of my pals licked her cup.

@hibs.net private member MagicSwirlingShip's Avatar
    Lead singer of Runrig bought my Bike as a 5 year old. Came to the house to pick it up after my Dad put an ad in the paper

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MagicSwirlingShip View Post
    Lead singer of Runrig bought my Bike as a 5 year old. Came to the house to pick it up after my Dad put an ad in the paper
    Their guitarist, Malcolm Jones, could often be found in the West End Hotel in Palmerston Place playing accordion in sessions. He's a good friend of Donald Park.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    I once had the pleasure of handing Alex Higgins his balls in a box.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    My granny’s cousins son is/was Bobby Sands.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Sir Alex Ferguson used to phone my house when he was the St Mirren Manager. My dad started up a really successful boys amateur club in Paisley, and he called about getting some of the boys on trial. Never asked about me though🤣

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    I see all sorts of celebs/dignitaries at work from time to time.
    Hibs.nets negative posting legend and unofficial ticket agent.

@hibs.net private member
    I worked beside a guy that got “intimate” one Hogmanay with Julia Somerville from ITN news’ nanny.

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Danderhall Hibs View Post
    I worked beside a guy that got “intimate” one Hogmanay with Julia Somerville from ITN news’ nanny.
    This is proper ‘claim to lame’ territory
    Last edited by Carheenlea; 21-01-2019 at 08:52 PM.

My granddad's brother's wife's brother scored this goal.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    I regularly play golf with the guy who was the Bradford City chaplain when they knocked out Arsenal then Aston Villa to reach the league cup final in 2013.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

@hibs.net private member EH6 Hibby's Avatar
    Gerard Butlers brother works for the council. According to the staff directory, he was on the same floor as me when I worked there. I never saw him though.

@hibs.net private member lapsedhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EH6 Hibby View Post
    Gerard Butlers brother works for the council. According to the staff directory, he was on the same floor as me when I worked there. I never saw him though.

@hibs.net private member
    These are magic. Great thread. Keep them coming guys

Steve Clarke's cousin once stank out a pub I was in with some totally rancid farts.

@hibs.net private member Alfiembra's Avatar
    In 1972 I was 15 years old and went to watch the John Player Classic golf competition at Turnberry. I was watching some of the Pro’s tee off from the famous lighthouse hole which is a remote tee separated from the fairway by rocks and cliffs. The players would walk out to the tee and the caddies would wait for them down the fairway. One of the players duffed his tee shot into the sea and didn’t have a spare ball with him. So I got to run the 200 yards down the fairway to get a second ball from the caddy and run all the way back with it. Thankfully he kept that one in play. Can’t even remember who it was either.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    A guy I work beside at work claims he bought the Scottish referee from Gladiators house off him. It apparently has an oil painting of the referee on the wall of one of the walk-in wardrobes.

The guy isn’t all quite there so I’m fairly certain it’s not true.. although how could you ever make something so out the blue up

When I was on a duty manager shift in a hotel I had to go and deal with a guest complaint in one of the rooms. One of the porters was delivering a room service breakfast to the room next door. The door was answered by Dougie Vipond wearing a dressing gown.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    I saw Princess Anne having a slash. I still get flashbacks.

Met Graeme Sounness at the old asda. It was a "meet the fans" thing before the world cup. Must have been 1982.

Slapped chic youngs badly heid outside hampden before a cup semi-final. He wasn't amused.