hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by green day View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Aye, if Airdrie and Stenny did it, then it stands to reason that Elgin would have done it

By your rationale, in the absence of "evidence" we should jump to the assumption that it was all Hibs fault. Probably Petrie too.

.............or,back in the real world, we could use common sense - maybe look at the prices for other Hibs cup matches over the last few years v diddy teams, or even the Euro matches earlier in the season to see if your point holds water.
    Airdrie had far more to lose per head by agreeing to a price cut than Elgin would at Easter Road but still did so.

Not saying on this occasion that is ALL Hibs fault, but it would safe to assume from what Tracey said in the other thread that it is far from being all Elgin's fault.

My "rationale" is that it's high time the club cut the fans some slack in ticket prices when the opportunity presents itself. What's happened over the years has got hee-haw to do with it, it's what we do now and in the future that counts. Plenty other clubs across the UK have no problem identifying that cup games, which are non season ticket games, are a good chance to make it a little more affordable to fans and show some goodwill.
    Last edited by Col L; 21-01-2019 at 12:25 PM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CapitalGreen View Post
    Agreed, cup top ups lowered the cost of attending and resulted in much bigger crowds. It amazes me that despite the historic attendance provided and anecdotal evidence from fans on here that people are still dismissing the idea that charging £22 for a Scottish Cup game against Elgin put many fans off and had a significant impact on the attendance.
    I do think cup top ups and reduced tickets are a bit different.

People have already explicity paid for the cup top up so would be more inclined to go.

Tickets for £15 would no doubt increase attendance somewhat but I don't see it increasing enough to cover the lost income due to lower prices. Loads of people will simply see it as a walkover and they'd rather go to the next round.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
    I do think cup top ups and reduced tickets are a bit different.

People have already explicity paid for the cup top up so would be more inclined to go.

Tickets for £15 would no doubt increase attendance somewhat but I don't see it increasing enough to cover the lost income due to lower prices. Loads of people will simply see it as a walkover and they'd rather go to the next round.

It's entirely possible that reducing the prices could lead to both clubs losing a relatively small amount of money.

The other side of the coin is that the game would be improved as a spectacle by having a larger attendance and some people that might not otherwise have been able to afford it, or justify the extra spending, might have been able to go.

It's up to both clubs to decide which option is the most preferable, but I suppose there's very little in that to benefit Elgin. Although, other clubs in a similar situation at the weekend didn't object (e.g. Airdrie).

@hibs.net private member MartinfaePorty's Avatar
    Although surely Airdrie got their share of the tv money, which would help against any reduction in the ticket price?

@hibs.net private member Spike Mandela's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by monktonharp View Post
    good for you Spike.assume you could afford it, and you did not have to take 2 or 3 kids there and buy them all a half pizza, a juice and a poke o' chips, look after them , get them to the game safely and hame safely and hopefully they were not all over the age of 5 , whereby you needed to pay their busfares unless you were a mile from the ground and could force march them to get there. and obviously bodyswerve the shop as they all have scarves anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by basehibby View Post
    NONSENSE!

It's late January and a lot of us are skint. I know I am anyway.

Re the Cup match - I was interested to see Ryan Gauld make his debut and was considering going even if I am skint. The lack of any discount for the match as compared to league matches certainly affected my thinking and I ended up keeping my money in my pocket and staying at home. If the price had been a discounted £15 as per the sheep and the yams I would quite possibly have attended and I know I'm not alone in this thinking.

Would the overall gate takings have been any more or less??? Of course it's impossible to say but I would hazard a guess that they would have been similar. What is a racing certainty though is that the attendance would have been greater if the price had been dropped to something like £15.
    If we had drawn Hearts the game would have been a sellout with dearer ticket prices. All these people that would have went to the Hearts game obviously chose not to go to the game because of reasons other than cost. Your reasons are of course legitimate but even clubs who reduced ticket prices had poorly attended games.

I still believe one game at ER in the whole of January at a cost of £20 for season ticket holders isn't unreasonable.

If you have a lot of kids trailing along with you to games then that is an issue at every game not just a cup game and I am glad the kids I took for many years are grown up and not a burden any more. As for bus fares I have been an out of town bus member for over 30 years so I know all the extra costs entailed in travelling .

I thoroughly enjoyed the game, 30 shots, 4 goals, a missed pen and Gauld was excellent I even treated myself to a Bovril. £20 well spent.

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spike Mandela View Post
    If we had drawn Hearts the game would have been a sellout with dearer ticket prices. All these people that would have went to the Hearts game obviously chose not to go to the game because of reasons other than cost. Your reasons are of course legitimate but even clubs who reduced ticket prices had poorly attended games.

I still believe one game at ER in the whole of January at a cost of £20 for season ticket holders isn't unreasonable.

If you have a lot of kids trailing along with you to games then that is an issue at every game not just a cup game and I am glad the kids I took for many years are grown up and not a burden any more. As for bus fares I have been an out of town bus member for over 30 years so I know all the extra costs entailed in travelling .

I thoroughly enjoyed the game, 30 shots, 4 goals, a missed pen and Gauld was excellent I even treated myself to a Bovril. £20 well spent.
    And being the miserable ******* that I know you are, if you thought it was £20 well spent it must have been a decent game. Well done to Hibs for getting an extra £20 out of the wallet with the stiffest hinges on earth!!

@hibs.net private member Spike Mandela's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by weecounty hibby View Post
    And being the miserable ******* that I know you are, if you thought it was £20 well spent it must have been a decent game. Well done to Hibs for getting an extra £20 out of the wallet with the stiffest hinges on earth!!
    Ha ha.... part timer.😂🍺

Obsessed with the Hibees son of haggart's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Frazerbob View Post
    So the figures are in and I thought, with the chat about ticket prices, it would be interesting to compare our crowd with Aberdeen & Hearts.

Hibs 7082 (£22)
    Aberdeen 9661 (£15)
    Hearts 11077 (£15)
    I assumed kids tickets were £10 for Aberdeen & Tynie as I couldn’t find the price. Our kids were £12.

Back of fag packet calculation where I estimated a 70/30 split of adult/concession (no idea if that’s even close TBH) shows the following income, after VAT is deducted:

Hibs £112k
    Aberdeen £98k
    Hearts £109.5k
    (Edited to reflect kids tickets @£5)

So, in order to take roughly the same money @ £15 a ticket we would need to add in the region of 3000 fans to the gate.

Obviously the pricing argument isn’t just a financial debate but interesting none the less.

Catering + Bar would probably even it up between Hearts and Hibs I'd guess. . Arguably we would have had more than 11k if it hadn't been on television and we hadn't had three home games in a week, but the quality of opposition would also be a factor. Interesting stats though and maybe puts paid to the idea that reducing prices wouldn't make much difference.