hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Midfield today

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by 660 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Can you let me know once you’ve stopped editing this post so I know when to reply. Thx babe
    Wind it in a bit please? No need for the tone in these posts.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis Hazlett View Post
    Everyone in midfield played very well today . Slivka has been fantastic recently, Gauld looks better than when he left UTD, Mallan back scoring and Bartley solid again. More of the same in the league pls.
    Good to hear but let’s not kid ourselves Slivka, Bartley and Mallan are simply not good enough if we’re aspiring for top 6 in Prem. Against decent opposition, all 3 struggle badly or go missing. Once Allan on board and Boyle back, none of those will get a game.

Quote Originally Posted by The Spaceman View Post
    Mallan will be a very big player for us next couple of years. We won’t drop him. He’s too good and I’m looking forward to that penny finally dropping for many of our support.
    Mallan does not have enough to his game. He’s the equivalent of the kicker in an American football squad - redundant for 90% of the time.

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    From what I've seen of Bartley and Milligan I would pick Bartley every time.

@hibs.net private member MagicSwirlingShip's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Diclonius View Post
    My thoughts exactly.

It’s strange on here that Bartley only really gets a mention when Derbies come around. He has rarely let Hibs down, with a three of Allan, Mallan and Gauld infront of him we would be pretty set up in midfield in my
    opinion.

Interested to see this new chap from Genoa but Bartley should keep his place in the meantime.

Quote Originally Posted by Onion View Post
    Mallan does not have enough to his game. He’s the equivalent of the kicker in an American football squad - redundant for 90% of the time.
    I recall when the .net goon squad were assuring us that wee Lewis may be better than the other dross around him but would be ditched when we had signed better. Fast forward to us having a far superior squad and (surprise, surprise) wee Lewis is still going strong......

Good to hear but let’s not kid ourselves Slivka, Bartley and Mallan are simply not good enough if we’re aspiring for top 6 in Prem. Against decent opposition, all 3 struggle badly or go missing. Once Allan on board and Boyle back, none of those will get a game.
    Slivka was good enough last season when he played 20+ games and we finished 4th. He actually has his best games Vs decent opposition, 2 goals against Celtic and a cracker at Ibrox.

Don't let the facts get in your way though.

Mallan was signed for good money and is six months in to a four year deal.

He splits opinion but he’s not going to be bombed out of the team all together.

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Slivka was good enough last season when he played 20+ games and we finished 4th. He actually has his best games Vs decent opposition, 2 goals against Celtic and a cracker at Ibrox.

Don't let the facts get in your way though.
    He’s had a history of only playing well Vs Celtic and Rangers so far in his Hibs career. I think theres a player in there and I need to sometimes remember we got him young and is still learning. But he needs to start grabbing games against the likes of Dundee, St Johnstone, and even show us something in the derby. Cause at the moment he isn’t doing that.

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Park View Post
    I find it astonishing.

I know hes nearing the end of his tenure here, but see once he's gone, he will be be sadly missed. I think the famous Matty Jack role will be known as the Marvin Bartley role going forward.
    Absolutely will...big Marv has been immense for us and was sorely missed in the last Derby

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    I find it astonishing.

I know hes nearing the end of his tenure here, but see once he's gone, he will be be sadly missed. I think the famous Matty Jack role will be known as the Marvin Bartley role going forward.
    This!

Sick saying it on here

Marvin Bartley is an absolute legend

His ball control passing and retention is a lot better than many posters on here give him credit for and also gives us a physical presence which is often lacking

He is quicker faster and more mobile than Milligan in my humble opinion

As the OP said best DM since Matty Jack

I thought he was going to have a nose bleed when he burst through their defence yesterday

I would love to see him score that elusive first goal before he leaves us

The master of his position

Quote Originally Posted by Centre Hawf View Post
    He’s had a history of only playing well Vs Celtic and Rangers so far in his Hibs career. I think theres a player in there and I need to sometimes remember we got him young and is still learning. But he needs to start grabbing games against the likes of Dundee, St Johnstone, and even show us something in the derby. Cause at the moment he isn’t doing that.
    He's been doing it for weeks, many good games this season.

Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    [RIGHT]
    This!

Sick saying it on here

His ball control passing and retention is a lot better than many posters on here give him credit for and also gives us a physical presence which is often lacking

I thought he was going to have a nose bleed when he burst through their defence yesterday

This

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    He's been doing it for weeks, many good games this season.
    Not for me I’m afraid. He has one good game in about 3/4 okay ones and the occasional anonymous one. Far too inconsistent.

Good to see Bartley being praised here. The strong parts of his game are excellent, and he's been a huge asset to us in far more games than just the derbies.

One of his greatest strengths is his self-awareness. He knows he can't do a great deal of fancy stuff so keeps I simple and gives it to those who can. From what people say about his "footballing ability" or lack of, you'd think he gave it away all over the place. He simply doesn't, he rarely gives the ball away once he's won it.

Bartley has been a big miss when injured this season, and I reckon getting him fit and playing every week might be just the platform we need to let the other players mentioned play.

I've been as critical of Mallan as anyone, but he's in the large group of players we have who I can see clearly has ability and something to offer but that it is Neil Lennon's biggest challenge to find a team set-up that suits them (see Slivka, Milligan, Flo, Jamie McLaren and Steven Whittaker for other examples).

@hibs.net private member LaMotta's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fergos View Post
    Agree totally. The Bartman has been quality since coming to ER.

GGTTH.
    Quote Originally Posted by hibbydog View Post
    We’ve been crying out for a big physical defensive midfielder for years to act as the fulcrum of the team. So when we get one that’s proven himself ten it’s natural that we get people whining that he’s not good enough.

Typical hibs.net
    Quote Originally Posted by LeithMike View Post
    Totally agree with Victor Park. Bartley is very good in the ball. He might not have goals but he's more than capable of taking the ball out of defence and taking us on the attack. Perhaps Milligan is a bit quicker with a pass but Bartley has a great presence and energy.

You can't have a team made up of all of the same type of player.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by MagicSwirlingShip View Post
    My thoughts exactly.

It’s strange on here that Bartley only really gets a mention when Derbies come around. He has rarely let Hibs down, with a three of Allan, Mallan and Gauld infront of him we would be pretty set up in midfield in my
    opinion.

Interested to see this new chap from Genoa but Bartley should keep his place in the meantime.
    Quote Originally Posted by Borderhibbie76 View Post
    Absolutely will...big Marv has been immense for us and was sorely missed in the last Derby

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    [RIGHT]
    This!

Sick saying it on here

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    Good to see Bartley being praised here. The strong parts of his game are excellent, and he's been a huge asset to us in far more games than just the derbies.

One of his greatest strengths is his self-awareness. He knows he can't do a great deal of fancy stuff so keeps I simple and gives it to those who can. From what people say about his "footballing ability" or lack of, you'd think he gave it away all over the place. He simply doesn't, he rarely gives the ball away once he's won it.

Bartley has been a big miss when injured this season, and I reckon getting him fit and playing every week might be just the platform we need to let the other players mentioned play.

I've been as critical of Mallan as anyone, but he's in the large group of players we have who I can see clearly has ability and something to offer but that it is Neil Lennon's biggest challenge to find a team set-up that suits them (see Slivka, Milligan, Flo, Jamie McLaren and Steven Whittaker for other examples).
    Good to see so many people agree with a "lost cause" of an opinion

So would I.

Isn't there a clause in Milligans deal where his contract can be cancelled after a year or did I dream that?

Left by mutual consent!
    660 won the argument though by calling you “babe” and “champ”. Surprised they didn’t call you “cupcake” as well.

Left by mutual consent!
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Rehabacrossthesea Wii Code: 4040
    There’s 10 other teams we have to play.
    Quote Originally Posted by MackTheKnife View Post
    So, the derby isn't a 'big game' as in your prerequisite?

By bigger games I meant the 30 odd teams better than Elgin. I like Bartley but I’d rather have a hibs team that can beat Hearts without bringing in battlers for one opponent.

@hibs.net private member LaMotta's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Higgo View Post
    660 won the argument though by calling you “babe” and “champ”. Surprised they didn’t call you “cupcake” as well.

Where do these posters come from??

Quote Originally Posted by underscore View Post
    Where do these posters come from??
    Gorgie?

I rate Bartley so highly. I think we've missed him recently.

I feel that some pigeonhole his role in the side and believe he shouldn't be playing against so called 'lesser' opposition, but I don't agree with this.

Marv is excellent at ball retention, and unlike the majority of our midfielders, he's very naturally athletic and powerful.

I think his abilities allow for the creative players to play with much more freedom and generally his presence in the team gives us a good balance.

I hope he stays fit and stays with us next season.

Quote Originally Posted by Vault Boy View Post
    I rate Bartley so highly. I think we've missed him recently.

I feel that some pigeonhole his role in the side and believe he shouldn't be playing against so called 'lesser' opposition, but I don't agree with this.

Marv is excellent at ball retention, and unlike the majority of our midfielders, he's very naturally athletic and powerful.

I think his abilities allow for the creative players to play with much more freedom and generally his presence in the team gives us a good balance.

I hope he stays fit and stays with us next season.
    Agree.

Also not quite sure who these lesser teams are that posters think Marvin shouldn't play against. Chat like that is very Jamboesque arrogance.

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    Bartley is great because he deals with all the other midfield "enforcers" all by himself whilst also being fairly reliable in thereafter giving the ball to a teammate. With a box-to-box midfielder in front of him (McGeouch/McGinn in the past, Omeonga now?) then the two remaining guys can be as powder puff as they want because all the ball winning stuff is covered.

@hibs.net private member erin go bragh's Avatar
    Bartley was our best midfielder when we knocked Utd out on pens in the semi final. Massively underrated by many . A midfield of Allan and Gauld will need Bartley imo .
    SCOTTISH CUP WINNERS 2016
    GGTTH

On that basis are Blair Alston , Liam Craig and David Wotherspoon good enough for the top six ?

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Who knows perhaps Lenny has realised the error of his ways and he is about to give The Bart Man a run in the team at the base of the diamond to instill a bit more steel into our team

No more soft touch namby pamby midfield

I suppose a lot depends on what the new guy from Genoa brings to the table and the addition of any further quality signings

Bartley Omeonga Allan and Gauld sounds mouthwatering

We also have Mallan Slivka and Horgan but it is all about finding the perfect blend

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    You can add me to the list who rate Marvin. Should feature more than he does.

The yams I know don't like it when they see his name on the team sheet. I think it's because he's more effective and less dirty than most of their defensive midfielders.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

@hibs.net private member staunchhibby's Avatar
    I also rate Bartley gives us a bit of steel in midfield.