hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by southern hibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Fair comments, but I forgot about MacLaren so that’s 5 on loan that can just walk away in May or he may leave this window.

GGTTH
    It’s all about options. Kamberi for prime example take a player on loan and agree an option and price. Mitigates the risk of an Agathe.
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

2. Log in to remove the advert

I really don't understand people's aversion to loan signings. Can't help feeling that this complaint is only trotted out when the team is not performing.

First Team Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by VivaPalmeiras View Post
    It’s all about options. Kamberi for prime example take a player on loan and agree an option and price. Mitigates the risk of an Agathe.
    I doesn't really, its actually the same. Boy comes in and does well so that alerts other clubs who can talk to parent club.

One way to really mitigate THAT risk is to sign the lad on a permanent deal, but then that opens up a risk of him being a flop, and then on a long term contract.

Both loan and permanent come at a risk, however the way of football now is to take 'better' players from bigger clubs

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stewboy View Post
    I doesn't really, its actually the same. Boy comes in and does well so that alerts other clubs who can talk to parent club.

One way to really mitigate THAT risk is to sign the lad on a permanent deal, but then that opens up a risk of him being a flop, and then on a long term contract.

Both loan and permanent come at a risk, however the way of football now is to take 'better' players from bigger clubs
    Option to sign at an agreed price does circumvent the risk of losing a successful loanee. Not sure of the way of football, but Hibs aren’t going to be in a position to take better players from bigger clubs very often. More likely is signing players that haven’t cut it at bigger clubs, it comes with risk, no matter how you look at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Stewboy View Post

Signing on a loan with an agreed option to sign (basically first dibs) does mitigate the risk though?

And it also mitigates the risk of said player being a flop and being stuck with him, win win in many ways.

First Team Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibee Mac View Post
    Signing on a loan with an agreed option to sign (basically first dibs) does mitigate the risk though?

And it also mitigates the risk of said player being a flop and being stuck with him, win win in many ways.
    Aye, that's a fair point!

so he's played a few games in Italy's top league and has a few under 21 caps for Belgium,But he doesn't even have 1 not 1 full cap for Belgium it's a no from me as they dont have many good midfielders.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gmack7 View Post
    so he's played a few games in Italy's top league and has a few under 21 caps for Belgium,But he doesn't even have 1 not 1 full cap for Belgium it's a no from me as they dont have many good midfielders.
    😂

Quote Originally Posted by Tug Wilson View Post
    I really don't understand people's aversion to loan signings. Can't help feeling that this complaint is only trotted out when the team is not performing.
    The team during the second half of last season had loads of loan signings and was up there with the best Hibs sides I've seen.

No problem with them at all - but it makes for an easy target of the team isn't playing well.

Totally rebuilding the squad every summer isn't hugely appealing though, especially considering our mixed success with this approach.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by superfurryhibby View Post
    Option to sign at an agreed price does circumvent the risk of losing a successful loanee. Not sure of the way of football, but Hibs aren’t going to be in a position to take better players from bigger clubs very often. More likely is signing players that haven’t cut it at bigger clubs, it comes with risk, no matter how you look at it.
    I don't mind the odd loan signing but you shouldn't fill the team with them. If you are bringing players in on loan I agree that an option to sign is ideal, though I appreciate not alway possible.

I think generally though loans are only brought in when a team isn't doing well. They aren't a great way to build for the future.

Signing a player on loan with an option to buy is only an agreement between the clubs. There's no guarantee that when the loan ends, and the player returns to his club, that the player will agree to a transfer, no matter what the clubs had agreed.

The advantage is that the agreed price is most likely lower than what the market value would have been otherwise

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Taken from Genoa Twitter-It's official, Stéphane #Omeonga will take the direction of Scotland and join the club of @HibernianFC , evolving in Premiership. The talented 22-year-old Belgian midfielder has already greeted his teammates and will be loaned for a period of 6 months. #Genoa
    Hibs.nets negative posting legend and unofficial ticket agent.

Seem a decent lot over at Genoa

He's at Easter road now having pictures done with a scarf

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Obviously, good players on permanent contracts is the preferred arrangement, but in respect of our core first team, I'd rather have a quality loanee than a mediocre journeyman on a 3 year contract.

I think this is Lennon's philosophy too.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    Obviously, good players on permanent contracts is the preferred arrangement, but in respect of our core first team, I'd rather have a quality loanee than a mediocre journeyman on a 3 year contract.

I think this is Lennon's philosophy too.

Absolutely agree with all of the above.

Quote Originally Posted by neil7908 View Post
    I don't mind the odd loan signing but you shouldn't fill the team with them. If you are bringing players in on loan I agree that an option to sign is ideal, though I appreciate not alway possible.

I think generally though loans are only brought in when a team isn't doing well. They aren't a great way to build for the future.
    Look at recent loanees. Ambrose-signed permanently after loan, Kamberi and Marciano, the same. Allan signed on loan twice and now heading for a permanent again. Stokes-loan and permanent. MacLaren -loan then loan with a permanent option. Did Boyle also not come initially onloan?

The team has been doing well enough these past four years, the quality is much better than that of past times.

It’s a low risk strategy which supplements the regular squad. Guys like Barker and Gunnarson also did well on loan. The club are doing good business all round. No need to worry.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tug Wilson View Post
    Tug-W, just so you know I’m not complaining about loans I just think that having so many short term loans at the one time is a bad idea because when May comes round we are back to square one looking for more players to fill gaps again. As I said it’s a vicious circle we seem to be getting into.

GGTTH

hfc rd
    Left by mutual consent!
    Look at recent loanees. Ambrose-signed permanently after loan, Kamberi and Marciano, the same. Allan signed on loan twice and now heading for a permanent again. Stokes-loan and permanent. MacLaren -loan then loan with a permanent option. Did Boyle also not come initially onloan?

The team has been doing well enough these past four years, the quality is much better than that of past times.

It’s a low risk strategy which supplements the regular squad. Guys like Barker and Gunnarson also did well on loan. The club are doing good business all round. No need to worry.

Yep Martin Boyle was a loan with an option to buy when we done a swap deal with Dundee who took Alex Harris on the same deal.

Also another cup winning legend that we had on loan was Liam Henderson.

Quote Originally Posted by southern hibby View Post
    Tug-W, just so you know I’m not complaining about loans I just think that having so many short term loans at the one time is a bad idea because when May comes round we are back to square one looking for more players to fill gaps again. As I said it’s a vicious circle we seem to be getting into.

GGTTH
    I doubt you'll find any disagreement with that view, but the alternative, i.e. signing players below the desired quality, is worse.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Totally agree. Nothing wrong with loan signings if they’re good players with the right attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by hfc rd View Post
    Yep Martin Boyle was a loan with an option to buy when we done a swap deal with Dundee who took Alex Harris on the same deal.

Scott Bain was another successful loan, albeit for very different reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by hfc rd View Post

How could I have forgotten!

As othrs have said, the loans can bring in quality that we couldn’t otherwise find. It’s a part of modern football, just like any other aspect of transfer business, it’s all about how well you manage it!

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    Scott Bain was another successful loan, albeit for very different reasons.
    Yep, that ended up being part of a shrewd bit of loan based transfer business from Hibs that brought Allan back and led to a tremendous last half of the season.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by we are hibs View Post
    I'm assuming it's him anyway
    Really exciting news!

Currently at Easter Road. On his Instagram story

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He was in the West Upper today wearing club kit. Looks like the deal is over the line.
    Just need to see the scarf over his head now.

@hibs.net private member The Spaceman's Avatar
    Like the sound of this guy - sounds like, on paper, he is just what we need! If we can get Allan this window, a good pedigree of striker (CumDog!) and a winger in, think we will be looking good! Really hope Agyepong will come back in too.

Pedant alert. Scott Allan was only on loan once. When he joined in 2014 it was a two year permanent deal.