hibs.net Messageboard

Thread: Player Agents

Left by mutual consent!

Player Agents

Are there many if any players at the higher or highest level who do not use an agent and conduct their own dealings?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Trips View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Are there many if any players at the higher or highest level who do not use an agent and conduct their own dealings?
    Paul Scholes did I believe.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Not sure how high a level you’re talking but I’m sure Christian Dailly never had an agent.

Flamini

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Messi's agent is (or was) his dad.

@hibs.net private member
    Roy Keane used a lawyer. Not sure who does it nowadays.

@hibs.net private member
    In terms of the modern era, I am sure I read both Rashford and Alexander-Arnold use their respective brothers as their agents.

Edit - this thread is a sore reminder Willie McKay was paid £500k when Scott Brown moved from us to Celtic.

I don't think Robbie Fowler had an agent - Souness apparently told him to get a good Financial Advisor / Accountant .

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Is It On.... View Post
    I don't think Robbie Fowler had an agent - Souness apparently told him to get a good Financial Advisor / Accountant .
    Robbie has been a huge success as a businessman, invested well in property and goes from strength to strength.

I think Colin Murdochs wife was a lawyer and may have helped with his dealings. Last I heard he moved into the world of Football Agency and is currently Johnny Evans' agent and netted a tidy profit from his most recent move I believe.

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Is It On.... View Post
    Where that may act as a disadvantage though is that a financial advisor or accountant won’t necessarily have the contacts in the game to fix you up with a club whereas an agent is more likely to have these contacts. It would be easier for a guy like Fowler in his prime that would likely have lots of clubs aware of him compared to a lesser known player.

Think of all the times you hear of a club signing a player off the back of an agent contacting them. That will be in part because agents have relationships with clubs. Non-agents are less likely to have those relationships to exploit.

@hibs.net private member
    If a player or a close friend or family member has the skills to deal with football clubs etc re contract negotiations then fair play to them - the players in question will maybe save themselves a few bob or keep it in the family. I suspect though that for a great many players this would serve as a sometimes bewildering distraction from their actual job of playing football. So - despite the controversy they stir up and the parasitical nature of some agents, I would say the advent of the football agent has been a good thing. If I were a professional footballer I would be glad to have the option to have someone to represent me who knew the ins and outs of football contracts and had a decent handle on what I was actually worth.

Left by mutual consent!
    Hibs took away a contract offer to John Robertson because he wanted to discuss the offer with his brother Chris who was at Rangers