hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

AberDNA member scheme

Seen this on social media this morning (source is the club email to its members). How does it compare to HSL?

-6300 members from 27 countries (youngest is 5 months oldest is 96)
    -over £700k passed to the football side of the business in the 2018/2019 season

Not sure if the £700,000 is net or gross as they did issue 4000 free home strips to their early bird members I think.

*Not wanting to start any rammy's about HSL just genuinely interested in the numbers

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Antifa Hibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Seen this on social media this morning (source is the club email to its members). How does it compare to HSL?

Not sure if the £700,000 is net or gross as they did issue 4000 free home strips to their early bird members I think.

*Not wanting to start any rammy's about HSL just genuinely interested in the numbers
    From HSL website there are 2300 donators raising 680k

so if the figures are all correct aberdna has nearly 3x the members and have raised only 20k more in funds .

Quote Originally Posted by makaveli1875 View Post
    From HSL website there are 2300 donators raising 680k

so if the figures are all correct aberdna has nearly 3x the members and have raised only 20k more in funds .
    Is 680k not total funds raised?

Aberdeen raised 700k last year alone?

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Antifa Hibs View Post

£700k is certainly not the net figure. AberDNA is a membership scheme which offers a large range of discounts and offers - the true net value to the club will depend on the take up of these.

Their marketing is good though, whereas HSL often feels like something separate to the club. As LD pushed for this scheme I think she needs to do some work to make it feel like a core effort.

First Team Breakthrough
    Aberdeen have raised £700 k in 1 year alone our £680 is iver several years. My understanding is we are at the equivalent of £180k per annum. As I have said on here before the sheep and the yams are leaving us miles behind

We shouldn't make comparisons with Foundation of Hearts for all of the valid reasons already discussed ad nauseum on here. But we can more realistically compare ourselves to AberDNA and in all honesty it doesn't make for good reading.

This is a club with a fanbase roughly the same size as ours, though they probably have more casual supporters having gathered themselves a number of glory hunters during the 80s. But irrespective of that the number of members their scheme has gathered over a far shorter period of time than HSL is highly impressive. It can be argued that their members get benefits HSL members don't, but HSL members become part of an organisation which will eventually have a big voice in the Easter Road boardroom as a major shareholder in the club … that's far more valuable than a free strip and 10% off a pie and Bovril I would suggest.

Questions have to be asked along the lines of why AberDNA has three times the number of contributors HSL has. Freebies aside, what are they doing that HSL isn't? I firmly don't believe that Aberdeen have more loyal fans than Hibs, in fact when they are doing badly their crowds plummet just as quickly as anybody else's, so it isn't that.

It seems to me that we need to ramp up awareness of HSL, what it is and what it will become ( IE a donation group for folk who care about this club once the shares run out ) because so far it is abundantly clear that whatever HSL have done and are doing hasn't worked anything like he way they would have hoped and any reasons given for that are going to look pretty weak when you look at what Aberdeen have managed to do.

Here's three questions and I would be interested to hear the answers …. I made these 3 points month ago and have still to see any evidence that HSL, or other interested parties, have paid any attention.

1) …… The top deck of the south stand is empty at 80% of our home games, why does HSL not have a massive banner on that deck advertising itself to the between 13 and 15 thousand Hibs fans in the ground who would be able to see it …. at least 10,000 or more of whom wont be HSL members?

2) ….. Is there an advert for HSL in the club programme for each home game? … And I mean a full page advert on the page facing the managers notes, not quarter of a page buried amongst a load of other ads for joiners and funeral homes?

3) ….. Why isn't there a 'sticky' at the top of this forum which will allow folk to read about HSL with links to its website? ….. Jambos Kickback has had a sticky like that for FOH at the top of its main forum for the last 5 years.

@hibs.net private member The Spaceman's Avatar
    I know a lot of HSL will be voluntary, but the whole set up needs to be a lot more slick/professional. It is almost too casual to be fully believable/trustworthy. It feels like some of your money could be used to buy the people running it some extra pints. Absolutely ridiculous I know and of course that absolutely is not the case, but I think we need someone who is officially employed by the club itself to be fully in charge of it and market it professionally. All IMO of course.

First Team Breakthrough
    The whole point of it is that it has to be indepedent of the club. Agree with most of what Nae Nookie says the benefit for supporters would be a better team on the park which is what we all want

Coaching Staff
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Myjo5984 Wii Code: 3916 0145 9394 9493
    At some point we're just going to have to accept that Hibs fans aren't as willing or able to contribute towards a scheme like this over and above the normal costs of supporting the team. I don't believe that there can be a majority of our support that are unaware of HSL at this stage.

Whether that is down to us not being in crisis like Hearts were when FOH was launched or our fanbase isn't as extensive or as well off as those in the north-east that support Aberdeen or that neither of those clubs have a noisy portion of their own supporters railing against them and calling them rip-offs and Ponzi schemes to anyone that will listen there is only so much marketing that can help with that.

Left by mutual consent! Speedway's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MyJo View Post
    At some point we're just going to have to accept that Hibs fans aren't as willing or able to contribute towards a scheme like this over and above the normal costs of supporting the team. I don't believe that there can be a majority of our support that are unaware of HSL at this stage.

Whether that is down to us not being in crisis like Hearts were when FOH was launched or our fanbase isn't as extensive or as well off as those in the north-east that support Aberdeen or that neither of those clubs have a noisy portion of their own supporters railing against them and calling them rip-offs and Ponzi schemes to anyone that will listen there is only so much marketing that can help with that.
    It's nothing to do with crisis or circumstance as most often cited.

Our rivals schemes make money while Hibbies make excuses for why we can't make money.

It's about ambition, pure and simple.

@hibs.net private member

We could really do without these 'supporters'.

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    Eh? We could do without the 10,000+ supporters who regularly pay to watch us?

Well then the few of you that do donate are gonna have to stump up a hell of lot more once you lose out on those millions!

@hibs.net private member Dalianwanda's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by WhileTheChief.. View Post
    Eh? We could do without the 10,000+ supporters who regularly pay to watch us?

Well then the few of you that do donate are gonna have to stump up a hell of lot more once you lose out on those millions!
    No one said anything like that

Testimonial Due
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Jellzy
    Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    It can be argued that their members get benefits HSL members don't, but HSL members become part of an organisation which will eventually have a big voice in the Easter Road boardroom as a major shareholder in the club … that's far more valuable than a free strip and 10% off a pie and Bovril I would suggest...
    This here plays a big part in it. I genuinely think most aren't interested in being part of a separate entity with controlling shares in the club. These same people may be willing to contribute just as much towards the club but for something else in return. Incentives such as a free home top, various discounts and other benefits such as a Hibs TV subscription etc. would certainly be enticing for me. If Hibs offered a subscription/membership scheme in the same vein as AberDNA I'd for one would join it.

Left by mutual consent! Speedway's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CMac1988 View Post
    This here plays a big part in it. I genuinely think most aren't interested in being part of a separate entity with controlling shares in the club. These same people may be willing to contribute just as much towards the club but for something else in return. Incentives such as a free home top, various discounts and other benefits such as a Hibs TV subscription etc. would certainly be enticing for me. If Hibs offered a subscription/membership scheme in the same vein as AberDNA I'd for one would join it.
    But with respect CMac, while you for one would join it, we need something that thousands will join independently of their ST spend. Folk commit verbally all the time but don't put their money where their mouth is when it matters.

Are you representative of what others would buy?

I'd suggest that we don't know the answer to that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalianwanda View Post
    No one said anything like that
    Erm the post above mine that I was responding to said exactly that!

Why you confused?

First Team Breakthrough
    Well said speedway you are right but they are first to moan about the lack of signings

Left by mutual consent!
    We shouldn't make comparisons with Foundation of Hearts for all of the valid reasons already discussed ad nauseum on here. But we can more realistically compare ourselves to AberDNA and in all honesty it doesn't make for good reading.

This is a club with a fanbase roughly the same size as ours, though they probably have more casual supporters having gathered themselves a number of glory hunters during the 80s. But irrespective of that the number of members their scheme has gathered over a far shorter period of time than HSL is highly impressive. It can be argued that their members get benefits HSL members don't, but HSL members become part of an organisation which will eventually have a big voice in the Easter Road boardroom as a major shareholder in the club … that's far more valuable than a free strip and 10% off a pie and Bovril I would suggest.

Questions have to be asked along the lines of why AberDNA has three times the number of contributors HSL has. Freebies aside, what are they doing that HSL isn't? I firmly don't believe that Aberdeen have more loyal fans than Hibs, in fact when they are doing badly their crowds plummet just as quickly as anybody else's, so it isn't that.

It seems to me that we need to ramp up awareness of HSL, what it is and what it will become ( IE a donation group for folk who care about this club once the shares run out ) because so far it is abundantly clear that whatever HSL have done and are doing hasn't worked anything like he way they would have hoped and any reasons given for that are going to look pretty weak when you look at what Aberdeen have managed to do.

Here's three questions and I would be interested to hear the answers …. I made these 3 points month ago and have still to see any evidence that HSL, or other interested parties, have paid any attention.

1) …… The top deck of the south stand is empty at 80% of our home games, why does HSL not have a massive banner on that deck advertising itself to the between 13 and 15 thousand Hibs fans in the ground who would be able to see it …. at least 10,000 or more of whom wont be HSL members?

2) ….. Is there an advert for HSL in the club programme for each home game? … And I mean a full page advert on the page facing the managers notes, not quarter of a page buried amongst a load of other ads for joiners and funeral homes?

3) ….. Why isn't there a 'sticky' at the top of this forum which will allow folk to read about HSL with links to its website? ….. Jambos Kickback has had a sticky like that for FOH at the top of its main forum for the last 5 years.
    Has Nae Nookie ever written a short post?

Part of the reason HSL doesn't get the attention it should is probably because of the group of hibs fans who called (and still call) it a Ponzi scheme.

Whether it's true or not I don't know, but it definitely has had an effect. A lot of folk will have cancelled when the loyalty points system was canned as well.

@hibs.net private member stantonhibby's Avatar

Why you confused?
    No it didn't..... the post said we could do without the supporters who think HSL is some sort of Ponzi scheme. I think that's a small minority as opposed to 10k+ which you claim.

First Team Breakthrough
    I can assure you it is nowhere near a ponzi scheme as someone who worked in financial markets I KNOW. tHESE PEOPLE ARE ONLY DOING OUR CLUB HARM

Coaching Staff
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Myjo5984 Wii Code: 3916 0145 9394 9493

Why you confused?
    It was only referring to the supporters who are calling HSL a Ponzi scheme. He had highlighted that part of my post when quoting it.

@hibs.net private member hibbymac's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibbydad View Post
    I can assure you it is nowhere near a ponzi scheme as someone who worked in financial markets I KNOW. tHESE PEOPLE ARE ONLY DOING OUR CLUB HARM
    What people?

Edit, sorry Which people?
    " Whatever the future may hold, Fans of this unique club will stand firm in Hibernians corner. Yes, united they stand, those wonderful supporters and The greatest football club on earth, " - Hibernian F.C. The team that wouldn't die. Click here

First Team Breakthrough
    hIBBYMAC YOU AND i BOTH KNOW WHO WE ARE TALKING ABOUT. THOSE WHO CALL IT A PONZI SCHEME WHICH IT IS NOT

Quote Originally Posted by DexterStJock View Post
    Has Nae Nookie ever written a short post?

Part of the reason HSL doesn't get the attention it should is probably because of the group of hibs fans who called (and still call) it a Ponzi scheme.

Whether it's true or not I don't know, but it definitely has had an effect. A lot of folk will have cancelled when the loyalty points system was canned as well.
    HSL is absolutely NOT a ponzi scheme - not in any way shape or form. Nobody apart from the club benefits. The HSL accounts clearly confirm this.

I was at the recent HSL AGM where the commitment was given to continue with the effort to raise money to buy shares in the club with the first target being a 20% shareholding then on to a 26% shareholding. HSL is not going away.

I'd like the "ponzi advocates" to explain how they arrive at their view and we can discuss this on a separate thread, this will hopefully put the argument to bed once and for all.

Once that's achieved we could work together to close the gap on both FoH and AberDNA.

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    hit the caps button

:)

First Team Breakthrough
    Well said Banchory Hibs

It was only referring to the supporters who are calling HSL a Ponzi scheme. He had highlighted that part of my post when quoting it.
    Cool. On the phone so didn’t see that. Apologies.

..Freebies aside, what are they doing that HSL isn't? ....

Not meaning to be argumentative, NN, but I don't think people should underestimate the extra selling power that might give.

Not everybody will happily give money over without any apparent return, but some of those people might be persuaded with incentives on offer, such as Season Tickets or Club Shop discounts.

I'm not being judgemental of anyone that was influenced in that way, and wouldn't mind if Hibs came up with a similar scheme.

@hibs.net private member
    I’ve mentioned this before but as it is nearly time for season ticket renewals, why don’t the club allow HSL to be included in the literature? If there is 14,000 season tickets renewals and the literature has a tick box or direct debit mandate for HSL, a lot of people will sign up. Even if 25% of season tickets sign up that’s 3500 people.

Easy and cheap option of reaching a lot of people and people are far likely to join if the option is there in front of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibs4185 View Post
    I’ve mentioned this before but as it is nearly time for season ticket renewals, why don’t the club allow HSL to be included in the literature? If there is 14,000 season tickets renewals and the literature has a tick box or direct debit mandate for HSL, a lot of people will sign up. Even if 25% of season tickets sign up that’s 3500 people.

Easy and cheap option of reaching a lot of people and people are far likely to join if the option is there in front of them.

I might be wrong on this, as I'm not an accountant, but because of fairly recent legislation on the purchasing of shares, I don't think it's that simple.

IIRC, you have to show that you've had legal advice before the purchase can go ahead.

EDIT: If I'm wrong, as I often am, it's actually a great idea