hibs.net Messageboard

Thread: Hibs in 1902...

Hibs in 1902...

A Dons mate of mine sent me An old paper clip stating Hibs tried to relocate to Aberdeen.namely pittodrie.a year before Aberdeen were formed.sorry can't seem to post the foto.any historians shed some light on this? Will be glad to send the foto in an email.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    A Dons mate of mine sent me An old paper clip stating Hibs tried to relocate to Aberdeen.namely pittodrie.a year before Aberdeen were formed.sorry can't seem to post the foto.any historians shed some light on this? Will be glad to send the foto in an email.
    Rings a bell.

Confirmed on Hibernian Historical Trust website as at that time HIBS were only renting their ground

There was Dundee HIBS and look what happened to them

We also have our impersonators in the West
    Last edited by BILLYHIBS; 18-01-2019 at 06:48 AM.

Franchising all over Scotland?

I'm sure that I read this in one of the Hibs books. It was rumoured that Hibs were planning to move to Aberdeen and 2 or 3 smaller teams in Aberdeen merged to create Aberdeen FC and prevent this happening.

@hibs.net private member SouthMoroccoStu's Avatar
    You know what. I think we won the cup that year

Prediction League Supremo - 05/06 MB62's Avatar
    There was also a Glasgow Hibernian and a Kilmarnock Hibernian (don't know if this is the same Killie of today or a different club altogether)

Quote Originally Posted by SouthMoroccoStu View Post
    You know what. I think we won the cup that year
    Won the league in season 1902-03 too

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by MB62 View Post
    There was also a Glasgow Hibernian and a Kilmarnock Hibernian (don't know if this is the same Killie of today or a different club altogether)
    Now that would be interesting to bottom out. One for our historians. My understanding is that Glasgow Rangers (as was) were created by the “establishment “ pumping money in to a small team in Glasgow Green to counter the rise and popularity of the Celtic team inspired by us. Perhaps today’s Kilmarnock was similar??? 🤔

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CentreLine View Post
    Now that would be interesting to bottom out. One for our historians. My understanding is that Glasgow Rangers (as was) were created by the “establishment “ pumping money in to a small team in Glasgow Green to counter the rise and popularity of the Celtic team inspired by us. Perhaps today’s Kilmarnock was similar??? 🤔
    Rangers were formed long before Celtic. The established teams of the first generation of Scottish football were the likes of Queens Park, Renton, Vale of Leven, Rangers and Third Lanark. If there was an establishment team in the pioneer years it was probably Queens Park.

@hibs.net private member SouthMoroccoStu's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by One Day View Post
    I'm sure that I read this in one of the Hibs books. It was rumoured that Hibs were planning to move to Aberdeen and 2 or 3 smaller teams in Aberdeen merged to create Aberdeen FC and prevent this happening.
    So if it wasn’t for the sheep we’d be yams.... ;)

Shudder at the thought

Quote Originally Posted by One Day View Post
    Thank the Lord

Quote Originally Posted by SouthMoroccoStu View Post
    So if it wasn’t for the sheep we’d be yams.... ;)

Shudder at the thought
    🤢🤮

Quote Originally Posted by superfurryhibby View Post
    Rangers were formed long before Celtic. The established teams of the first generation of Scottish football were the likes of Queens Park, Renton, Vale of Leven, Rangers and Third Lanark. If there was an establishment team in the pioneer years it was probably Queens Park.
    It's true that Rangers grew fat on embracing the position of Protestant challengers to the Catholic Celtic though. And in the early 1900s Celtic were the dominant team in Scotland which didn't sit well with notions of Prod supremacy.

@hibs.net private member G15 Hibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MB62 View Post
    Killie celebrated their 150th anniversary the other week, so I reckon they owe nothing to Hibs.

Quote Originally Posted by G15 Hibs View Post
    Killie celebrated their 150th anniversary the other week, so I reckon they owe nothing to Hibs.
    Oldest professional club in Scotland.

Left by mutual consent!
    Hibs inspired hundreds of clubs in Scotland to take up the game. Some with Hibs in the title (eg Maryhill Hibs) and others not. Lots of clubs with the last name Emerald or Emmet were formed. Some were feeder clubs to Hibs, again others were not. However the emergence of seltic (sic) chamged all that.
    Last edited by southsider; 18-01-2019 at 02:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by southsider View Post
    Hibs inspired hundreds of clubs in Scotland to take up the game. Some with Hibs in the title (eg Maryhill Hibs) and others not. Lots of clubs with the last name Emerald or Emmet were formed. Some were feeder clubs to Hibs, again others were not. However the emergence of seltic (sic) chamged all that. We

Hibs actively encouraged other emergent clubs in various areas with immigrant* Irish populations.

Celtc, on the other hand, actively set about closing down any competition for a supporter base, including subsidising buses to Glasgow for supporters from those areas, and also opposed Hibs' promotion to the First Division.

Never mind, though, because they're a 'club unlike any other, with charitable roots'

* If you want to argue about the word immigrant, start your own thread :)