hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Messi

Messi

Had the pleasure of watching Messi score his 400th league goal tonight. Astounding stuff. The best we will ever see.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by underscore View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Had the pleasure of watching Messi score his 400th league goal tonight. Astounding stuff. The best we will ever see.
    Never Hibs class, but no bad
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

The easiest post to agree with on here in a while :)

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    The best player in the history of the game.

Well done to the Argentinian Gauld.

We'll see better, players are getting better, strong, fitter all the time. He's the best so far though.

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    "Best player ever" is always a bit subjective but from my own pov the wee guy has brought me no end of entertainment. A truly great footballer and a joy to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    We'll see better, players are getting better, strong, fitter all the time. He's the best so far though.
    Imagine Best playing on today’s pitches with the modern ball and the protection given by refs these days. He would have been even better. Would Messi have coped with conditions back then? George Best is still the greatest ever for me.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

Quote Originally Posted by marinello59 View Post
    Imagine Best playing on today’s pitches with the modern ball and the protection given by refs these days. He would have been even better. Would Messi have coped with conditions back then? George Best is still the greatest ever for me.
    No he wouldn't because he didn't take care of himself at all. His unprofessional attitude would end him these days.

Messi is far better than him by any metric as well.

He's up there with Ronaldo 😉

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    No he wouldn't because he didn't take care of himself at all. His unprofessional attitude would end him these days.

Messi is far better than him by any metric as well.
    I agree. I think there is an argument to be made about different era’s but Best is a terrible example to use, he wouldn’t have made the top level in today’s game purely because he didn’t look after himself at all. Messi is the best we have seen and will take some doing to beat too.

Best would have been too steaming. 400 goals!!! In a top league

Pain in the arse to be honest. I've got tickets to the league game next Sunday and was hoping he'd hold off till then.

Greatest of his era without a doubt, it's not even close

Greatest ever? Impossible to tell imo

I thought he was signing, needs a NHC

Quote Originally Posted by Keyser Sauzee View Post
    I agree. I think there is an argument to be made about different era’s but Best is a terrible example to use, he wouldn’t have made the top level in today’s game purely because he didn’t look after himself at all. Messi is the best we have seen and will take some doing to beat too.
    Messi wouldn't have been able to play in Bests era as he needed hormone treatment to even be where he is.

You can't compare players from different eras.

Testimonial Due
    Both at their prime Maradona or Messi .. for me Maradona was the better player,dont see Messi being ever to have the same impact Diego did with Argentina and im.not talking about his cocaine usage in WC USA.

Left by mutual consent!
    Riordan has a better peg on him.

Substitute Best for Maradona and that's equally valid. Maradona was kicked up and down by hairy ersed defenders on dodgy pitches all his career.

First Team Breakthrough esjorto's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Haymaker View Post
    Messi wouldn't have been able to play in Bests era as he needed hormone treatment to even be where he is.

You can't compare players from different eras.
    Exactly. Greatest player I ever saw was our own Gordon Smith. Most of you never saw him play therefore I cannot be wrong ,but neither can any of you! By the way, Smith Smith scored 364 for Hibs, a club record and British record for a winger.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    Substitute Best for Maradona and that's equally valid. Maradona was kicked up and down by hairy ersed defenders on dodgy pitches all his career.
    While there is undoubtedly aspects of the game from yesteryear that we have no idea if Messi would be able to cope with we also need to remember that players nowadays are physically streets ahead of what they were in the 20th century. While there’s less of the ‘illegal’ tackles that Messi and Ronaldo have to put up with they’re playing up against guys with physical attributes that players from the 70s or whenever could only have dreamt of, whether that be speed, strength, power, jumping or stamina.

Messi is an undoubted talent and 400 goals is a fantastic achievement in modern day football.

However, he has achieved this by playing for Barca for 15 years, the only team he has ever played for, who have been a dominant force in Spain for decades and who have always boasted squads full of the world's greatest players... how would he have fared playing in lesser teams and how would players of the past have done in his situation?

Joe Baker, for example, scored 301 career goals, what might he have achieved if given the opportunity to play for 15 years in star stunned Barcelona squads?
    "The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who don't have it" - George Bernard Shaw.

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by esjorto View Post
    Exactly. Greatest player I ever saw was our own Gordon Smith. Most of you never saw him play therefore I cannot be wrong ,but neither can any of you! By the way, Smith Smith scored 364 for Hibs, a club record and British record for a winger.
    The one player I’d like to go back in time to see play having read the excellent Prince of Wingers - a fantastic and poiniant account of a father by his son (still reckon it should have been Tony playing the piano on the Time for Heroes dvd)
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

It's an impossibility to say what particular player was/is the greatest ever, there are numerous candidates. We can all have our favourites, mine would be Maradona.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobo View Post
    Messi is an undoubted talent and 400 goals is a fantastic achievement in modern day football.

However, he has achieved this by playing for Barca for 15 years, the only team he has ever played for, who have been a dominant force in Spain for decades and who have always boasted squads full of the world's greatest players... how would he have fared playing in lesser teams and how would players of the past have done in his situation?

Joe Baker, for example, scored 301 career goals, what might he have achieved if given the opportunity to play for 15 years in star stunned Barcelona squads?
    Messi being described as a talent is the biggest understatement I’ve ever heard to describe his greatness.

Coaching Staff
    Preferred Jimmy O’Rourke!

Impossible to compare eras but don’t think anyone has been at the top for as long as Messi in their eras possibly apart from Pele and Christiano Ronaldo. He’s [Messi] the greatest ever IMO.

This stuff about World Cups is ridiculous and almost irrelevant -international football isn’t anywhere near as important now and it’s far harder for one guy (who’s played 70 games already) to dominate a tournament. Teams are too well organised.

Maradona was incredible- maybe for 4-5 years on a different planet to anyone else at the time. He’s in the argument but really can’t imagine that despite his talent we can put George Best in there too- he was just finished too early.

For me ,I would have liked to see messi do the business for argentina before he goes down as a true great.ive never really seen him inspire his country when he plays,looks a bit stroppy in that format,I think of great players bringing the best out of ther team,messi doesny do that for the argies.great club player undoubtedly.but not all round.ronaldo beats him for me easily.

@hibs.net private member California-Hibs's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: BringTheCairds
    He's outstanding. But come on now, Ronaldos out in front as the best we will ever see.

@hibs.net private member CallumLaidlaw's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Cal_hibby
    Quote Originally Posted by California-Hibs View Post
    He's outstanding. But come on now, Ronaldos out in front as the best we will ever see.
    Not even close J. Ronaldo while a better athlete is nowhere near the baller that Messi is. His ability to see a pass is just out of this world. Interestingly, when pro footballers are asked between the 2, most say Messi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk