hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: McGeouch

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by makaveli1875 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He's scored 14 for Germany and 37 league goals in 10 seasons in club football
    Under 4 goals a season, probably similar stats to Dylan.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Same type of comments on Henderson at Liverpool from clueless idiots.

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    Checked the thread through and there is no mention of bedwetters, happy clappers or doom and gloomers. I wouldn't take the site seriously.

Surprised that Sunderland fans can't recognise a good player 🙄

Hope they stay down as long as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    Under 4 goals a season, probably similar stats to Dylan.
    Dylans lucky if he's scored 4 in his entire career

Maybe McGeouch's another one like Scot Allan, he didn't look anything special for Celtic (although he didn't play many games for them), who knows, maybe it's the same at Sunderland. Good player for Hibs though. When he was at Celtic he did seem a more attacking player than when he was with us, maybe he just found his niche.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by makaveli1875 View Post
    Dylans lucky if he's scored 4 in his entire career
    Just checked wiki and you are right, what i would say is they are the same type of player, the kind that are invaluable to their team.

They both keep the ball and move it on and receive it in tight spaces while probing looking for small openings.

A quality player.

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ekhibee View Post
    Maybe McGeouch's another one like Scot Allan, he didn't look anything special for Celtic (although he didn't play many games for them), who knows, maybe it's the same at Sunderland. Good player for Hibs though. When he was at Celtic he did seem a more attacking player than when he was with us, maybe he just found his niche.
    I think you have a point, he will be asked to do something different, alongside different teammates, in a different slot from what we asked of him.

If you are lucky as a footballer you find a natural position where you have the players around you who can bring out your best.

Allen had McGeouch and McGinn, but also linked in beautifully with Hanlon and Stevenson. That, combined with the increase in his work rate made him very special.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    Just checked wiki and you are right, what i would say is they are the same type of player, the kind that are invaluable to their team.

They both keep the ball and move it on and receive it in tight spaces while probing looking for small openings.

A quality player.

Any team with ambition needs that kind of player.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

Quote Originally Posted by Mibbes Aye View Post
    I think you have a point, he will be asked to do something different, alongside different teammates, in a different slot from what we asked of him.

If you are lucky as a footballer you find a natural position where you have the players around you who can bring out your best.

Allen had McGeouch and McGinn, but also linked in beautifully with Hanlon and Stevenson. That, combined with the increase in his work rate made him very special.
    McGeough,like Allan, doesn't have the athleticism required to play in England IMO.

That's the one thing McGinn always had over the other 2,he was a better athlete and had the physicality to play at a higher level despite Allan and McGeough arguably being better technically.

Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    McGeough,like Allan, doesn't have the athleticism required to play in England IMO.

That's the one thing McGinn always had over the other 2,he was a better athlete and had the physicality to play at a higher level despite Allan and McGeough arguably being better technically.
    I think McGeouch does have adequate athleticism to succeed in England. He has a wee burst of pace and a good touch to keep the ball from opposition players, but I think he does need to a McGinn-type beside him and quick players out wide and in front of him to hit with passes.

McGeouch will be lost when he has a plodder in midfield with him.

McGinn's all-round game is very good though, and with athleticism being a big part of the game down there he was always the favourite to go the furthest.

I do find it funny who goes down South and does well and who goes down South and struggles, same with the players you would expect to come up here and do better than they do.

Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post

Agree

First Team Breakthrough
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: WalterSobzcek
    I always felt he was almost like a Quarterback picking the ball up and distributing it allowing things to happen

I don't remember McGeouch often being outmuscled, over-run or outrun.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mantis Toboggan View Post
    Based on that Netlix documentary I would take the views of Sunderland fans with a large pinch of salt
    Along with the views of many Hibs supporters.

@hibs.net private member
    Die hard Sunderland fan I know was pretty much mixed about him. Think like when he first joined us injuries have hampered his progression.

Maybe being at hibs and playing alongside McGinn brought the best out of Dylan

Quote Originally Posted by chrisski33 View Post
    Maybe being at hibs and playing alongside McGinn brought the best out of Dylan
    Love Dylan as a player but not sure how well he’d do in this seasons midfield next to Mallan and Hyndman. No doubting McGinn allowed the rest of the midfield to play.

Quote Originally Posted by ChazD View Post
    Love Dylan as a player but not sure how well he’d do in this seasons midfield next to Mallan and Hyndman. No doubting McGinn allowed the rest of the midfield to play.
    Dylan allowed McGinn to play. He took it from the defence and gave it to McGinn and Allan.

Dylan would do very well in this team. He'd make Mallan and Slivka etc better.

Quote Originally Posted by AgentDaleCooper View Post
    We miss mcgeouch almost as much as we miss mcginn IMO.
    Without doubt. Class act.

Quote Originally Posted by berwickhibee View Post
    Without doubt. Class act.
    I've been at a couple of Sunderland games this season. The fans haven't really taken to McGeoch at all. I would take him back in a minute.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooster View Post
    I've been at a couple of Sunderland games this season. The fans haven't really taken to McGeoch at all. I would take him back in a minute.
    I was at their home game v Southend a few months ago and he got subbed quite early in the second half. He's not started much recently either.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    I was at their home game v Southend a few months ago and he got subbed quite early in the second half. He's not started much recently either.
    I was at that game too. He sat even deeper than Cattermole that day which is no mean feat. He got subbed as soon as Sunderland went 2-0 up.

very good player and I’d of course have him back in a Hibs shirt.

However... although the Sunderland poster hasn’t pitched it in the nicest of ways and has gone over the top. His observations aren’t as wide of the mark as reactions on her suggest?

I don’t have many memories of him taking a shot, Splitting a defence, or making a tackle. Does the simple stuff well and helps make a team tick. Does that very, very well. But isn’t that essentially what the mackem boy is saying - albeit putting it like a d1ckhead.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooster View Post
    Ive seen him this season too, just think the mackems need educated😀⚽

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    very good player and I’d of course have him back in a Hibs shirt.

However... although the Sunderland poster hasn’t pitched it in the nicest of ways and has gone over the top. His observations aren’t as wide of the mark as reactions on her suggest?

I don’t have many memories of him taking a shot, Splitting a defence, or making a tackle. Does the simple stuff well and helps make a team tick. Does that very, very well. But isn’t that essentially what the mackem boy is saying - albeit putting it like a d1ckhead.
    About the only thing that tallies with my memories of Dylan are the apparent reluctance to shoot. I remember him also being a decent ball winner for his diminutive stature though so the crap about him being rubbish defensively makes no sense at all. Also he can play a good through ball when it's on although he DOES tend towards keeping possession and doesn't take many risks with it.

Dylan's main asset was ball retention - ie keeping possession in tight midfields where the tackles could be flying in thick and fast. This made perfect sense for a team like Hibs who try to build from the back through the midfield - and where the available outballs included talents like McGinn, Allen and Stokes who were also great at receiving the ball to feet in tight situations.

That he's not being appreciated at Sunderland perhaps speaks volumes about the style of football they are trying to play (more direct? just guessing here) and the quality of some of his teammates. It's all very well being able to pass the ball neatly but that's not much use if the player you're passing to has a poor first touch. I am speculating here but the prevailing style in the English lower leagues tends to direct percentage based football utilising big, athletic (but not necessarilly very talented) players in my experience - do Sunderland like to play that way? If so then Dylan's talents are pretty much wasted there.

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by basehibby View Post
    About the only thing that tallies with my memories of Dylan are the apparent reluctance to shoot. I remember him also being a decent ball winner for his diminutive stature though so the crap about him being rubbish defensively makes no sense at all. Also he can play a good through ball when it's on although he DOES tend towards keeping possession and doesn't take many risks with it.

Dylan's main asset was ball retention - ie keeping possession in tight midfields where the tackles could be flying in thick and fast. This made perfect sense for a team like Hibs who try to build from the back through the midfield - and where the available outballs included talents like McGinn, Allen and Stokes who were also great at receiving the ball to feet in tight situations.

That he's not being appreciated at Sunderland perhaps speaks volumes about the style of football they are trying to play (more direct? just guessing here) and the quality of some of his teammates. It's all very well being able to pass the ball neatly but that's not much use if the player you're passing to has a poor first touch. I am speculating here but the prevailing style in the English lower leagues tends to direct percentage based football utilising big, athletic (but not necessarilly very talented) players in my experience - do Sunderland like to play that way? If so then Dylan's talents are pretty much wasted there.
    Plenty of teams in the English lower league teams try to push the ball about. I'd update your speculation. Hardly anyone uses uses the "big athletic but not necessarily very talented" centre forward these days and havent done for some time. Its more prevalent than in the higher divisions obviouslybut certainly not the status quo.
    Last edited by Lancs Harp; 13-01-2019 at 08:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by basehibby View Post

Pretty good summing up. My memory of Dylan is just about the same, he could tackle pretty well, but his main assets were finding space, ball retention and linking the play from a deep position, he could run with it reasonably well too … but they are right about his shooting, he was always reluctant to take a shot on and the few times he did you could see why

Neil Lennon did the same sort of job at Celtic in his time there and Scott Brown became exactly the same, nothing dynamite in the way of goals or incisive defence splitting passes, but an ability to just keep the ball moving between defence and the more creative and dynamic players. Perhaps the way Sunderland play they don't suit or need that type of player …. the way Hibs play ( or would at least like to ) a McGeouch would suit us just fine …. a great wee player, I'd have him back in a heartbeat

A Sunderland report I read had him as an 8/10 with 'outstanding' as the comment. So surprised to then see those comments.

Quote Originally Posted by hibsfan7 View Post
    i would take him back in a minute never forget he is a HIBS LEGEND
    The funny thing is that in the 2016 cup final our much lauded midfield was the least effective bit of the team in an attacking sense, McGinn, McGeouch and Fyvie all played a more spoiling sort of game in front of the defence with all the telling contributions coming from set pieces and our stand out performances, Stokes aside, being in defence.