hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Andy Murray

@hibs.net private member Tricla's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenbeard View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ok maybe I am the only one who thinks that. For the record, I have no problem with men showing their emotions.
    Derek Redmond's Olympic 400m dream coming to a shuddering halt with a hamstring pull down the back straight when he was in the form of his life, getting up to limp round the track to finish what he knew was his last Olympic appearance, and then being helped by his dad who ran from the crowd, now that was justifiable uncontrollable sporting emotion.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2G8KVzTwfw

Clearly we all know AM is highly emotional and he knows it himself, so have your greet away from the cameras man, compose yourself and act like a pro in public. You've had plenty time to do that and come to terms with your career ending before facing the cameras. As a sporting mentor he should be able to show more mental fortitude in front of the cameras.

It's sport. To compare my views on AM greetin' in front of the cameras and suggest I would adopt the same attitude with folk with serious mental health problems or potential bridge jumpers is a tad OTT.
    Pish

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member SRHibs's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Limit Break PSN ID: cyniUK
    Ok maybe I am the only one who thinks that. For the record, I have no problem with men showing their emotions.
    Derek Redmond's Olympic 400m dream coming to a shuddering halt with a hamstring pull down the back straight when he was in the form of his life, getting up to limp round the track to finish what he knew was his last Olympic appearance, and then being helped by his dad who ran from the crowd, now that was justifiable uncontrollable sporting emotion.

Clearly we all know AM is highly emotional and he knows it himself, so have your greet away from the cameras man, compose yourself and act like a pro in public. You've had plenty time to do that and come to terms with your career ending before facing the cameras. As a sporting mentor he should be able to show more mental fortitude in front of the cameras.

It's sport. To compare my views on AM greetin' in front of the cameras and suggest I would adopt the same attitude with folk with serious mental health problems or potential bridge jumpers is a tad OTT.
    Clearly he just doesn’t have the same control over his emotions that someone “manly” like yourself does. What an odd thing to nitpick about.

Testimonial Due The Harp Awakes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by IGRIGI View Post
    Voted yes, supported "Anyone but England" , a true Scot you could get behind while sticking it right up the cringers.
    Yup and a Hibby. An idol.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    I honestly don't see what's wrong with him showing his emotions at a time when he's announcing to the world that his career is practically over at just 31 years of age.

The reality of it all has probably just hit him during that press conference. Until then it probably hasn't felt real.

He is an emotional guy and I like that about him.

Comparing it to Billy Connolly's situation isn't really fair as it's totally different. He is much older for a start and has had a long time to come to terms with what's happened to him.

Obviously Murray's situation isn't life threatening but his body has let him down and preventing him from carrying on with a career that he loves and achieving more of his goals.
    It may not be ‘life threatening’ as such, however a hip injury as severe as this must be can have lasting and prolonged effects on his body later in life, potentially restricting mobility in a major way. Murray’s quality of life could end up being fairly horrendous should he not get the big operation that he is talking about.

I think he’s every right to be emotional, his body has failed him at arguably his best period of success, giving up the one thing he’s only ever known to do, and not knowing quite how much his body will allow him to do in every day life going forward.

The previous poster telling him to ‘man up’ is horrendous, neither wonder their is a stigma around males (especially young males) showing their emotions and speaking out for how they are feeling.

Top player, top bloke, Hibby, greets a bit. What’s not to like?

Quote Originally Posted by May2116 View Post
    It may not be ‘life threatening’ as such, however a hip injury as severe as this must be can have lasting and prolonged effects on his body later in life, potentially restricting mobility in a major way. Murray’s quality of life could end up being fairly horrendous should he not get the big operation that he is talking about.

I think he’s every right to be emotional, his body has failed him at arguably his best period of success, giving up the one thing he’s only ever known to do, and not knowing quite how much his body will allow him to do in every day life going forward.

The previous poster telling him to ‘man up’ is horrendous, neither wonder their is a stigma around males (especially young males) showing their emotions and speaking out for how they are feeling.
    Totally agree.

He has been struggling now for the last 18 months - 2 years. He has only played in 7 events since Wimbledon 2017.

It's clear that he is in a great deal of pain and you are correct to say that he's at risk of having real mobility issues later in life. I think there's a possibility that he'll need a hip replacement at some point in the future but he must think about his long term health.

When he lost to Sam Querrey at Wimbledon 2017 and the extent of his hip injury really came to a head, he was sitting at world number one and would have expected to have gone on to win more Majors and to dominate the sport.

To have had that opportunity taken from him and to have worked so hard over the last 18 months to try and get back to full health but realise that it's all been in vain, it must be hard to take.

I absolutely hate the term "man up" it has terrible connotations and there's absolutely nothing wrong with a man showing his emotions in public and showing that he is upset.

Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post
    Top player, top bloke, Hibby, greets a bit. What’s not to like?
    Yep.

Just like me, only better at tennis.

@hibs.net private member
    Much respect and can't disagree with all the accolades already stated, but am I the only one who thinks he let's himself down a bit by his tendency to greet in public, like a bairn whose sweeties have been taken off him. Man up FFS!
    Yes he has worked fur Cunard, but he has had a stellar career doing what he loves and is absolutely minted because of it. Life goes on Andy. Be thankful and move on to the next chapter in your life.
    Contrast with The Big Yin's recent public appearances.

‘Man Up’ please explain what you mean by that? Seriously what a pathetic line to use.

@hibs.net private member Baader's Avatar
    An absolute legend. Still can't believe what he achieved. You'd be laughed at for even suggesting a Scotsman would one day win Wimbledon or any tennis slam. Scotland's greatest sportsman in my opinion.

'Man up' btw is a tragic expression.

He’s entitled to cry if he feels the need, he’s dedicated his life to his craft, even spending long periods away from his wife and daughter in an effort to rehabilitate his injuries.

You’re coming across as very callous and devoid of the emotion you’re criticising him for showing, maybe that’s how you prefer it, manning up I suppose.

as for being a mentor, being able to harness ones emotions can often drive one to greater achievements, something Murray has been able to do, feeding off of his emotions and those of the crowds. I’d say he’s a pretty good example of emotions being a positive performance enhancement.

Beyond that, I’d say today he has shown thousands of men that showing your emotions is not only ok, it’s to be encouraged, except for Neanderthals who think men should ‘man up’.

On a more positive note, Andy has had an amazing affect on Scottish sport, he is certainly one of the most successful Scottish athletes ever, and a role model for every Scottish athlete, child, and probably many more of us. He’s not only been an incredible sportsman, he’s also been a strong and vocal advocate against drug use, and for female tennis in general. The press conference where he called out the journalist for forgetting that female tennis players count too was actually something that gave me more pride in him as a Scotsman, a Hibby, and a classy man.

Quote Originally Posted by McD View Post
    He’s entitled to cry if he feels the need, he’s dedicated his life to his craft, even spending long periods away from his wife and daughter in an effort to rehabilitate his injuries.

You’re coming across as very callous and devoid of the emotion you’re criticising him for showing, maybe that’s how you prefer it, manning up I suppose.

as for being a mentor, being able to harness ones emotions can often drive one to greater achievements, something Murray has been able to do, feeding off of his emotions and those of the crowds. I’d say he’s a pretty good example of emotions being a positive performance enhancement.

Beyond that, I’d say today he has shown thousands of men that showing your emotions is not only ok, it’s to be encouraged, except for Neanderthals who think men should ‘man up’.

On a more positive note, Andy has had an amazing affect on Scottish sport, he is certainly one of the most successful Scottish athletes ever, and a role model for every Scottish athlete, child, and probably many more of us. He’s not only been an incredible sportsman, he’s also been a strong and vocal advocate against drug use, and for female tennis in general. The press conference where he called out the journalist for forgetting that female tennis players count too was actually something that gave me more pride in him as a Scotsman, a Hibby, and a classy man.
    Hear Hear!!

Quote Originally Posted by McD View Post

I could not have said it better

@hibs.net private member Bishop Hibee's Avatar
    Legend. His performance in beating Djokovic at Wimbledon 3-0 was as good as any tennis I’ve ever seen. Great guy too. All the best for the future.
    "Washing one's hands of the conflict between the powerful and the powerless means to side with the powerful, not to be neutral.' - Paulo Freire

Much respect and can't disagree with all the accolades already stated, but am I the only one who thinks he let's himself down a bit by his tendency to greet in public, like a bairn whose sweeties have been taken off him. Man up FFS!
    Yes he has worked fur Cunard, but he has had a stellar career doing what he loves and is absolutely minted because of it. Life goes on Andy. Be thankful and move on to the next chapter in your life.
    Contrast with The Big Yin's recent public appearances.
    Don't even know where to start. Litterally every sentence is an abomination.

Testimonial Due NadeAteMyLunch!'s Avatar

Chronic chat. He could have years to come to terms with it but until he’s sat in a press conference admitting on camera that’s it’s all over it won’t have felt real. By your logic you shouldn’t cry at weddings or funerals as you’ve had months to prepare for them and should act ‘like a pro in public’

Quote Originally Posted by Bishop Hibee View Post
    Legend. His performance in beating Djokovic at Wimbledon 3-0 was as good as any tennis I’ve ever seen. Great guy too. All the best for the future.
    Phenomenal performance.

By far the greatest Scottish sports person ever. By a mile.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by SquashedFrogg View Post
    Phenomenal performance.

By far the greatest Scottish sports person ever. By a mile.
    I disagree.

Admittedly Andy winning Wimbledon etc was a great fantastic sporting achievement.

However, a Scot winning the Green Jacket in golf Sandy Lyle was just as unique if not more so.

Sandy Lyle for me but each to their own.

Mon the Cabbage!!!

Now I know how the Jambos must have felt 1.1.73 - annihilated. That'll be my .net career over then. Ah'm away for a wee greet. In private.

Now I know how the Jambos must have felt 1.1.73 - annihilated. That'll be my .net career over then. Ah'm away for a wee greet. In private.
    Hate people sneaking off in private to cry because they haven’t got the nuts to do it in public. Man up FFS!

Quote Originally Posted by May2116 View Post

I've had both my hips done, my 1st was resurfaced back in 2009, metal cap and metal socket, I suffered a great deal of pain for over a year, regular sleepless nights and limping about like Quasimodo, I was working as a personal trainer at the time and had to give it up to come back to the bloody taxi trade. My right hip went 3 years later and was a full transplant. Andy is a young man to be having arthritic hip problems and it really limits your mobility, the last thing he needs at his age is to have a full hip replacement due to him trying to compete at the top level of his sport, he's more than likely doing more damage than good, I feel for him.

@hibs.net private member Mon Dieu4's Avatar
    He has had an amazing career and goes out with his head held high, to have won what he has in this era is some feat (nothing will ever convince me that Nadal and Djokovic were not juiced out their eyeballs for the majority of it though)

I love his dry sense of humour and the fact that it's lost on so many, he comes across as a normal bloke who has done wonders with hard work and dedication, I hope he can find happiness in coaching and developing the next crop of superstars

Quote Originally Posted by Mon Dieu4 View Post
    He has had an amazing career and goes out with his head held high, to have won what he has in this era is some feat (nothing will ever convince me that Nadal and Djokovic were not juiced out their eyeballs for the majority of it though)

I love his dry sense of humour and the fact that it's lost on so many, he comes across as a normal bloke who has done wonders with hard work and dedication, I hope he can find happiness in coaching and developing the next crop of superstars

There were certainly questions about Djorkovic and his sudden rise to world domination with many media sources pointing the finger at him and some of his answers to the press are a bit weird almost accusing the media of a witch hunt instead of wanting the sport cleaned up if there is any wrong doing as Murray wanted.

He's very passionate about his sport and his never-say-die ability to battle back from the toughest of positions is about as good as I've ever seen in sport.

He's clearly going to be upset and emotional as he comes to the realisation that his career looks to be ending.

Quote Originally Posted by Baader View Post
    An absolute legend. Still can't believe what he achieved. You'd be laughed at for even suggesting a Scotsman would one day win Wimbledon or any tennis slam. Scotland's greatest sportsman in my opinion.

'Man up' btw is a tragic expression.

How about 'Person Up' then?

Quote Originally Posted by Tornadoes70 View Post
    I disagree.

Admittedly Andy winning Wimbledon etc was a great fantastic sporting achievement.

However, a Scot winning the Green Jacket in golf Sandy Lyle was just as unique if not more so.

Mon the Cabbage!!!

There are far too many candidates for such an honour.

Jackie Stewart, F1 World Champion 3 times and finished 2nd twice.
    Colin McRae, 25 Rally Wins
    Billy McNeill, Only Scot to captain a European Cup side.
    and of course, the late, great Jocky Wilson.

Quote Originally Posted by Tornadoes70 View Post
    I disagree.

Mon the Cabbage!!!
    Murrays achievements will live on and be talked about for decades to come . Iv never even heard of Sandy Lyle

Simply Hibs Class...

Quote Originally Posted by makaveli1875 View Post
    Murrays achievements will live on and be talked about for decades to come . Iv never even heard of Sandy Lyle
    I would probably delete this post if I was you!

Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    Did not realise he has won BBC SPOTY three times

Most top notch sports people struggle to win it once

Legend!
    Actually, to be pedantic, he has won it five times!

Won junior SPOTY the year he won the Junior US Open. Also won the team prize with the GB Davis Cup Team.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    Totally agree.

He has been struggling now for the last 18 months - 2 years. He has only played in 7 events since Wimbledon 2017.

It's clear that he is in a great deal of pain and you are correct to say that he's at risk of having real mobility issues later in life. I think there's a possibility that he'll need a hip replacement at some point in the future but he must think about his long term health.

When he lost to Sam Querrey at Wimbledon 2017 and the extent of his hip injury really came to a head, he was sitting at world number one and would have expected to have gone on to win more Majors and to dominate the sport.

To have had that opportunity taken from him and to have worked so hard over the last 18 months to try and get back to full health but realise that it's all been in vain, it must be hard to take.

I absolutely hate the term "man up" it has terrible connotations and there's absolutely nothing wrong with a man showing his emotions in public and showing that he is upset.
    The “man up” attitude is a contributing factor to the stigma attached to mental issues which is only now getting the attention it rightly deserves imo. An attitude that has no real place in today’s society. We are sll human - not machines.