hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Andy Murray

Much respect and can't disagree with all the accolades already stated, but am I the only one who thinks he let's himself down a bit by his tendency to greet in public, like a bairn whose sweeties have been taken off him. Man up FFS!
    Yes he has worked fur Cunard, but he has had a stellar career doing what he loves and is absolutely minted because of it. Life goes on Andy. Be thankful and move on to the next chapter in your life.
    Contrast with The Big Yin's recent public appearances.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenbeard View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Much respect and can't disagree with all the accolades already stated, but am I the only one who thinks he let's himself down a bit by his tendency to greet in public, like a bairn whose sweeties have been taken off him. Man up FFS!
    Yes he has worked fur Cunard, but he has had a stellar career doing what he loves and is absolutely minted because of it. Life goes on Andy. Be thankful and move on to the next chapter in your life.
    Laddie's an emotional being. That's what's endeared him to the public.

It clearly means far more to him than we could ever understand and he probably wouldn't have made it without caring so much.

So he’s not allowed to be emotional? It’s human nature and nothing to do with him not realising how lucky he is, which he certainly does. Anyone would be sad at such a journey coming to an end.

He’s a great guy who does lots of compassionate things but is allowed to have feelings surely? Not any more self indulgent than ‘The Big Yin’ these days so not sure where that comparison comes from!!

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar
    ‘Man up’? Deary me. Nothing wrong with showing your emotion. What about the thousands of grown men who had a wee greet at Hampden on 21.05.16?

Yes, you're probably the only one who thinks that. Telling emotional people to "man up" is neanderthal stuff.

Is it that uncommon for top sportsmen to cry?

I can obviously recall Murray but off the top of my head I remember Ricky Hatton in tears when he realised his career was over, Chris Hoy crying at the Olympics, Bubba watson at Augusta, Michael Jordan after the Bulls beat the Lakers, Tiger Woods when he won the Open after his Dad died, David Beckham in his last game, Gazza obviously, John Terry after the Moscow final, Roger Federer has broken down multiple times, Matthew Pinsent at the 2004 Olympics........

It's easy to say man up because you have loads of money but you can't just switch off emotion like that. These guys put everything into their sport so when it all falls apart or all comes together it's easy to understand why emotion gets the better of them.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

In my opinion, the greatest Scottish sportsman of all time.

I remember watching him at his first Wimbledon; the commentator remarking that he had a lot of talent but really needs to work on his fitness and physique. He'd been sick going into the final set and lost due to exhaustion.

Fast forward a few years and he's the very definition of pure fitness based on physical dedication. He also speaks very well on serious matters (how many male sportsmen talk about being a feminist??) even if he gets a bit irritable with the inane chat that passes for sporting comment sometimes. And of course, he won. A lot.

And yes, men are allowed to get emotional in public, especially if it's something like forced retirement due to injury. It's the twenty first century.

And that's before we mention hes a Hibby too. It doesn't get much better than Andy Murray.

So when Lennon is in a dark place and young lads are feeling low, they've to just "Man Up" I'm so glad you're not responsible for trying to talk down jumpers from the North Bridge, "pull yourself together" doesn't cut it nowadays.

A sad moment, but he must do whatever is necessary for his long-term health and wellbeing. A sporting legend and one of our own.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Frazerbob View Post
    ‘Man up’? Deary me. Nothing wrong with showing your emotion. What about the thousands of grown men who had a wee greet at Hampden on 21.05.16?
    Mea culpa!

This attitude is a prominent reason behind men taking their own lives. Being encouraged to bottle up emotions. This is an archaic and toxic belief.

Away and boil yer heid! as The Big Yin would say.

@hibs.net private member One Day Soon's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: 4 PSN ID: 6 Wii Code: 5
    Quote Originally Posted by IGRIGI View Post
    Voted yes, supported "Anyone but England" , a true Scot you could get behind while sticking it right up the cringers.

"up the cringers"

A lovely guy, pretty switched-on personal and public politics, emotionally well balanced and such a strong antidote to the norm of sporting superstar ego narcissism.

He's a pretty rare thing these days - a public figure you can genuinely admire for their integrity, honesty and - despite all the wealth - being in touch with reality.

He's had an unbelievable career . I guess he is emotional because he got that injury when he was at his absolute peak , no1 in the world and looking good to win another slam or 2 . He stood tall in an era of giants and played in some historic matches ..

Left by mutual consent!
    Voted yes, supported "Anyone but England" , a true Scot you could get behind while sticking it right up the cringers.
    Meanwhile, the English Wimbledon drought continues 👍

@hibs.net private member
    How many of us thought we would ever see a Scot win Wimbledon not just once, but twice? Unbelievable achievement by Andy. Sad to think of him having to retire at an early age but what a career to have had. Magnificent!

Left by mutual consent!
    Unfortunately this jokey, throwaway comment has led many English to hate him. For me, far and away the greatest British sportsman ever. A lovely, unassuming guy. Good luck for the future Andy. Thanks for the memories.

Left by mutual consent!
    Yes

Troglodyte stuff there. "Man up" ffs

@hibs.net private member
    To me the greatest Scottish sportsman of all time. I have been lucky enough to see him play a couple of times. A real champion and quality tennis player who never gives up. The effort he has put into making himself so physically strong without the aid of drugs is incredible.

As someone else commented he has always stood up for what he believed in based on very high morals. He has no time for drug cheats like Marian Cilic or Elana Sharapova and called them out unlike any other top players. He wanted lifetime bans.

A real inspiration to many including the two Hibs players he mentors. Hope he finds time to come up and do some more mentoring. It could make a massive difference in time.

Thanks for the memories.

Shame that he doesn’t get to retire on his own terms.

Only achieved what he did because of the incredible dedication and sacrifice he’s shown.

Pretty much inevitable ending but sad all the same.

The night he won the US open was gripping viewing.

Thanks for the memories Andy.

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    In my opinion, the greatest Scottish sportsman of all time.

I remember watching him at his first Wimbledon; the commentator remarking that he had a lot of talent but really needs to work on his fitness and physique. He'd been sick going into the final set and lost due to exhaustion.

Fast forward a few years and he's the very definition of pure fitness based on physical dedication. He also speaks very well on serious matters (how many male sportsmen talk about being a feminist??) even if he gets a bit irritable with the inane chat that passes for sporting comment sometimes. And of course, he won. A lot.

And yes, men are allowed to get emotional in public, especially if it's something like forced retirement due to injury. It's the twenty first century.

And that's before we mention hes a Hibby too. It doesn't get much better than Andy Murray.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by One Day Soon View Post

"up the cringers"

A lovely guy, pretty switched-on personal and public politics, emotionally well balanced and such a strong antidote to the norm of sporting superstar ego narcissism.

He's a pretty rare thing these days - a public figure you can genuinely admire for their integrity, honesty and - despite all the wealth - being in touch with reality.
    It's too easy 😂, every single time you're hooked within seconds 😂

Quote Originally Posted by lyonhibs View Post
    Troglodyte stuff there. "Man up" ffs
    Almost comes across as satire

Gamer IDs

It's too easy 😂, every single time you're hooked within seconds 😂

Massive cringe from Andy there. Every single time you're pumped in seconds.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar

Looks like you are the only one, aye.

AM has always worn his heart on his sleeve. He put absolutely everything into his tennis career, made sacrifices most of us couldn’t even contemplate.

Man up?? Purlease.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by 660 View Post
    Meanwhile, the English Wimbledon drought continues 👍
    The Sun, Express, etc will be reduced to going bananas every year over some no-hoper from Tunbridge Wells or somesuch who reaches the second round.

Good luck, Andy. Scotland's greatest ever!

@hibs.net private member Newry Hibs's Avatar
    BBC website has a pop quiz about him. Not all tennis related!
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/46823617

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by GloryGlory View Post
    The Sun, Express, etc will be reduced to going bananas every year over some no-hoper from Tunbridge Wells or somesuch who reaches the second round.

Good luck, Andy. Scotland's greatest ever!
    I feel for Keredine Idessane, the BBC Scotland commentary guy who seemed to manage to spend most of his time travelling around the world on Andy Murray's coat tails reporting on his progress. It's going to be a dull stuck-in-Scotland life for him now.