hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Andy Murray

Hybrid View

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar

Andy Murray

Just announced his retirement. Aussie Open looks like his final tournament although he hopes to make Wimbledon his last hoorah.

Absolute legend who’s done Scotland proud and a thoroughly decent chap.

He’s one of our own......

Quote Originally Posted by Frazerbob View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just announced his retirement. Aussie Open looks like his final tournament although he hopes to make Wimbledon his last hoorah.

Tennis won’t be the same for me beyond Andy Murray, the greatest sportsman Britain has seen in my opinion, and contrary to what people would have you believe, a right down to earth character. Hopefully the Murray’s are allowed to build their vision for tennis in Scotland fairly soon.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by May2116 View Post
    Tennis won’t be the same for me beyond Andy Murray, the greatest sportsman Britain has seen in my opinion, and contrary to what people would have you believe, a right down to earth character. Hopefully the Murray’s are allowed to build their vision for tennis in Scotland fairly soon.
    Hear hear we will miss you Andy. You turned tennis into Scottish pub viewing and did Scotland proud. And a Hibby to boot.

Greatest Scottish sporting legend......proud to call him a fellow hibby. Named my son after him....

Heartbreaking watching his press conference.

Injury might have cut short his career but it won’t take away the legacy and impact he has had on the country and sport.

Nameless
    Left by mutual consent!
    The only reason I've watched any tennis over the last 10 years has been to see Andy. It's been some journey, and watching him win the US Open is one of my favourite sporting moments. His record at the Oz Open is unbelievable, something like 7 final appearances - maybe this will finally be the year he goes one better.

Sent from my G3311 using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Scottish sporting legend simple as. Has provided an amazing roller coaster with his monumental games and performances. A glorious talent and fantastic he was able to get over the hurdle and be a multiple major winner plus 2 Olympics and Davis cup. He owes nobody anything as he bared his soul, emotions and fantastic ability for all to see. Well done Andy.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Scottish sporting legend simple as. Has provided an amazing roller coaster with his monumental games and performances. A glorious talent and fantastic he was able to get over the hurdle and be a multiple major winner plus 2 Olympics and Davis cup. He owes nobody anything as he bared his soul, emotions and fantastic ability for all to see. Well done Andy.

His achievements are simply phenomenal.

Sad stuff listening to one of Britain's greatest sportsmen announcing that the pain is too much and he may have to retire sooner than he really wanted to. He brought us so many great memories, particularly the Wimbeldon victory in 2013 - Have to wish him all the best. Looks like now is the time for him to step back and put his health and future life first - good luck to him whatever he finally does! Would have been great to see him say farewell at Wimbeldon this year, but seems that may not be possible.

Maybe he will have more time to visit Easter Road now?

I'm absolutely gutted to wake up to this news even although it was always likely to be on the cards.

Andy Murray will go down in history as one of Scotland's all time greatest sportspeople. What he's achieved is highly unlikely to be surpassed by any other Scottish (or even British) tennis player for a very long time. To win one Major and become the first British man to do so since the 1930s and finally emulate Fred Perry was one thing. To go on and win three Majors (including the Holy Grail of Wimbledon) and Olympic gold was the stuff of dreams.

He is an inspiration to many young athletes and the perfect role model on how to live your life.

Thanks for the memories Andy. If this is the time he says goodbye then it's been a privilege to follow his career over the last 15 years, from seeing him on the courts at Stirling University as a scrawny teenager to watching him on the TV at all the major events and at Buckingham Palace collecting his knighthood from the Queen it's been a journey I've thoroughly enjoyed following.

Good luck to him for the future and I'm sure he'll be a success in anything he chooses to do.

There's only one Andy Murray.
    Last edited by Sir David Gray; 11-01-2019 at 06:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    I'm absolutely gutted to wake up to this news even although it was always likely to be on the cards.

Andy Murray will go down in history as one of Scotland's all time greatest sportspeople. What he's achieved is highly unlikely to be surpassed by any other Scottish (or even British) tennis player for a very long time. To win one Major and become the first British man to do so since the 1930s and finally emulate Fred Perry was one thing. To go on and win three Majors (including the Holy Grail of Wimbledon) and Olympic gold was the stuff of dreams.

He is an inspiration to many young athletes and the perfect role model on how to live your life.

Thanks for the memories Andy. If this is the time he says goodbye then it's been a privilege to follow his career over the last 15 years, from seeing him on the courts at Stirling University as a scrawny teenager to watching him on the TV at all the major events and at Buckingham Palace collecting his knighthood from the Queen it's been a journey I've thoroughly enjoyed following.

Good luck to him for the future and I'm sure he'll be a success in anything he chooses to do.

There's only one Andy Murray.
    Well said.

Also worth noting that he was world number one during a period when the greatest ever players (federal Djokovic and nadal) were in their prime.

Incredible achievement. Massively proud of him.

@hibs.net private member CallumLaidlaw's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Cal_hibby
    Quote Originally Posted by Nameless View Post
    The only reason I've watched any tennis over the last 10 years has been to see Andy. It's been some journey, and watching him win the US Open is one of my favourite sporting moments. His record at the Oz Open is unbelievable, something like 7 final appearances - maybe this will finally be the year he goes one better.

Sent from my G3311 using Tapatalk
    Unfortunately he’s more likely to lose in the first round to a very good player next week. His movement simply isn’t there any more.

Heartbreaking tho, a much more likeable character than some would give him credit for, a terrific role model in how to live the life of a sportsman, and his performances will live long in the memory. He deserved more slam wins than he had but he almost ticked it all off the list. Wimbledon, Davis Cup, Olympic Champion and of course, my favourite of all, that first slam win at the US Open. What a night that was

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member JohnM1875's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: johnmac1875
    Actually gutted by this news. But totally the right call. As previously mentioned watching him is the main reason I got into tennis. And watching his slam wins are some of my favourite sporting moments ever. Definitely be missed in the world of tennis.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Strip away the titles, the achievements, the records, the amazing matches and you still have a fantastic bloke. What an incredible man who still has so much to offer the world. He’s one of our own.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

@hibs.net private member The Spaceman's Avatar
    Heartbreaking to watch. In my opinion, he is Scotland's most successful sportsman ever (playing wise), as well as the UK's best ever Tennis player. What he has achieved in an era where we also had Federer, Nadal, and Djokovic is absolutely sensational and will have undoubtedly inspired the next generation of Tennis players across the UK.

If he does retire at the Australian Open or Wimbledon, he bows out as a sporting legend and won't ever be forgotten. It sounds like he has got his head screwed on, with his own hotels etc, and no doubt we will see him in a commentating and coaching capacity in the near future, so won't be the last we hear of Andy Murray!

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Gutted for him.

As an aside, why do most news outlets not refer to him as Sir Andy Murray? The EEN has but the Guardian and BBC articles I’ve read don’t.

@hibs.net private member Bristolhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    Gutted for him.

As an aside, why do most news outlets not refer to him as Sir Andy Murray? The EEN has but the Guardian and BBC articles I’ve read don’t.
    Maybe he’s asked not to be. I would be a bit embarrassed TBH.

Fair enough receiving the Honour as the U.K. needs a way to honour its people. But to insist people call me Sir, Na. Not for me.

J

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Legend!

I saw grown men cry in the Liberton Inn when he won Wimbledon

Fantastic ambassador to Scottish and British tennis/sport, he looked like he was struggling with hip problems for a couple of years prior to surgery and it is a notoriously difficult area to recover fully from. He's not that old but the gruelling training and tennis circuit has taken it's toll on his body and particularly his style of play. I've definitely watched far more tennis this past 10 years purely because of Murray and he'll be sadly missed but he's left a good legacy and there are a couple of young players pushing near the top of the game, Kyle Edmund being No.1 and last years Aussie open semi finalist.

Never thought I'd greet over a tennis result, but I was in bits when he won Wimbledon for the first time.

An incredibly hard working inspiring figure, and quite certainly the greatest individual sportsperson the UK has produced in my lifetime, maybe ever.

Such mental strength to come back from 5 (?) GS final defeats in the greatest era that men's singles has ever seen and win 3 Grand Slams.

He could retire tomorrow without picking up a racquet again and be immortal.

First Team Breakthrough
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: jayjaygrant
    Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    Legend!

Was a cracking boozer, shame what happened to it

Quote Originally Posted by Mcpakeisgod View Post
    Has it shut? Used to go there when I stayed at the inch.
    Very nice pint too.

Quote Originally Posted by Mcpakeisgod View Post
    All that white dust going about whilst the tennis was on?

Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    Legend!

My father in law was a regular in there

Hear hear. Remember being on my knees in celebration when he won Wimbledon for the first time. A legendary sporting moment. He really has done Scotland proud.
    Last edited by SirDavidsNapper; 11-01-2019 at 06:56 AM.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Such a shame, but he has been a superstar at the highest level of sport and inspired so many people to get into tennis.

Wonder if we will see him at Easter Road after he retires?

Left by mutual consent!
    Farewell Andy

He was finished 18 months ago. Now let's see the younger generation step up.

@hibs.net private member One Day Soon's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: 4 PSN ID: 6 Wii Code: 5
    Just fantastic moments for Scots and Brits when he won Wimbledon and that London Olympic Gold. Memories I'll always be grateful for.

It's going to be sad not to see him play anymore , followed him right from the beginning of his career.
    Scotland's greatest ever sportsman leaves a great legacy and I'm sure he'll still do great things after retirement.

Great memories, gutted.

The best sportsman the country has ever produced. To compete in what has been the greatest ever period in Tennis is astounding. I’d rather he retired now than go on playing at 50%. Amazing human being.