hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weekend breaks

@hibs.net private member HibbyAndy's Avatar

Weekend breaks

Looking to take the mrs away Friday 1st March and come back Sunday 3rd March , Anyone got any good advice where to go ? Wouldn't mind somewhere down South like Liverpool or Yorkshire or maybe even Newcastle , To be fair somewhere that's not a million miles away as it's only a short 2 day stay , Also accommodation that are decent prices , Pretty sure a travel lodge or a holiday inn would also be 10 times cheaper than a B&B ,

I'd be travelling by train i must add as well , Just somewhere me and the mrs can have a nice quiet chilled time with a little scenery and good food along the way

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by HibbyAndy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Looking to take the mrs away Friday 1st March and come back Sunday 3rd March , Anyone got any good advice where to go ? Wouldn't mind somewhere down South like Liverpool or Yorkshire or maybe even Newcastle , To be fair somewhere that's not a million miles away as it's only a short 2 day stay , Also accommodation that are decent prices , Pretty sure a travel lodge or a holiday inn would also be 10 times cheaper than a B&B ,

I'd be travelling by train i must add as well , Just somewhere me and the mrs can have a nice quiet chilled time with a little scenery and good food along the way
    Havent been myself mate but Wife fancies York for a wee break, meant to be really nice 👍

York's pretty nice but not particularly cheap.
    Northumberland is lovely, great beaches, plenty of nice eats etc. Not sure what it would be like without a car. You could have a look at Alnmouth which is (almost) on the train line.

Trains to any part of England are very pricey !

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    North Berwick it is then.

Newcastle, Manchester, and Liverpool are all fairly good options that don't take long to get to. Nice enough cities for things to do, big enough to have plenty eateries and a variety of cheap hotels.
    Mon the Hibs.

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Just back from Liverpool for a new year break, lovely city, lots to see and do or just chill. Pleasantly surprised that I stayed at the same hotel as Leicester City before they played Everton and the England Rugby Union squad. Not cheap but not much more than Premier Inn.

Titanic hotel.

Went to St Andrews for the weekend in late Nov. Weather wasn't great but nice wee place and plenty places to eat and drink.

If you have any tesco clubcard vouchers you can exchange them for credit x 3 at redspottedhanky.com

http://www.redspottedhanky.com/about...esco-clubcard/

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Two together Railcard is the way to go. It costs £30 but you'll get that back in one trip.

If anyone decides to go to York, let me know and I'll recommended some of my favourite eateries.

And, if you bring your golf sticks ... 😁
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    Two together Railcard is the way to go. It costs £30 but you'll get that back in one trip.

If anyone decides to go to York, let me know and I'll recommended some of my favourite eateries.

Nice one Radge cheers

Also thanks for all the helpful replies

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar

Plenty to do in Liverpool mate and trains not too expensive if you look now and are flexible about when you travel on the Friday.

@hibs.net private member BroxburnHibee's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CoolHibeesdaft PSN ID: Hibeesdaft
    Recommend York and Liverpool
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, vodka in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"

We went to Belfast a couple of years ago. We flew so wasn't much traveling it was also pretty cheap on top of that it was a really cool and interesting place.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibs#1 View Post
    We went to Belfast a couple of years ago. We flew so wasn't much traveling it was also pretty cheap on top of that it was a really cool and interesting place.
    Agreed, we done Belfast too, loved it and will return.

York is lovely but it's not particularly cheap for accomodation. Loads of pubs and it's small enough that most things are walkable.

Staying in Yorkshire but something a bit different I'd recommend Beverley. I discovered it through a day at their racecourse and it's a very pretty little market town. Quiet but a few things of interest to see and more than a few decent pubs and restaurants. Nellies is like a step back in time with traditional gas lighting still in use. The Saturday market is great for a browse as well.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

York as mentioned.

Go to Carlisle, for an "interesting" experience spend the night on Botchergate. 🍺

I've done a few day trips to Darlington recently but, never stayed overnight. It's probably more suited to a lads trip than a romantic w -end away though.
    Last edited by HUTCHYHIBBY; 11-01-2019 at 09:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    York is lovely but it's not particularly cheap for accomodation. Loads of pubs and it's small enough that most things are walkable.

Staying in Yorkshire but something a bit different I'd recommend Beverley. I discovered it through a day at their racecourse and it's a very pretty little market town. Quiet but a few things of interest to see and more than a few decent pubs and restaurants. Nellies is like a step back in time with traditional gas lighting still in use. The Saturday market is great for a browse as well.
    Ripon's like that as well.

There's a myriad of B&Bs in York, but because it's such a beautiful city, you have to pay a premium to stay overnight.

Try the Travelodges too. They're usually available for around £80 a night at weekends.

I think it's worth paying a bit more in York. It really is lovely and it's so easy to get to from Edinburgh.

First Team Breakthrough
    Have a look at Hazelwood Castle in Tadcaster.
    Stunning building with large grounds and 800 years of history . It’s a great place to take the wife.
    Last edited by BroxburnHibee; 11-01-2019 at 11:51 AM.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304

I second this advice.

We bought one last year and have done 3 trips to London with it since. It really reduces the cost of travelling!

If you do decide to go to York, let me know and I'll point you in the direction of not only excellent restaurants, I'll let you know where to find pubs where you can still get a pint for £2. 👍
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Can fly Easyjet return to Belfast or Bristol for under £50 return (each) on those dates.

When I checked yesterday it was £45return to Charleoi 1-4 Feb

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Berwickshire 👍🏻

Quote Originally Posted by Lemonade View Post
    Have a look at Hazelwood Castle in Tadcaster.
    Stunning building with large grounds and 800 years of history . It’s a great place to take the wife.
    Is she free next weekend? ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Future17 View Post
    Is she free next weekend? ;-)

@hibs.net private member stantonhibby's Avatar
    If you do decide to go to York, let me know and I'll point you in the direction of not only excellent restaurants, I'll let you know where to find pubs where you can still get a pint for £2. 👍
    A few of us heading to York in June for a couple of nights for the races.....any restaurant recommendations would be welcome!

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee-87
    I'm not sure if it's still there or open, but there was a pub that pints were not too expensive right on the river. Literally at the bottom of the bridge opposite side from the O'Neill's....think it was a decent price but also pub was prone to flooding IIRC so not sure if it still open?

To the OP I fully recommend York, also wasbit England nyou were looking? Going up north Aviemore is great, and if you like your whisky I fully recommend the Tomatin tour which is not too far away. Inverness is another option

I recently took my wife away for her birthday. Managed to get a return flight to Milan cheaper than the return train to York!

Look at Europe it won't cost too much more.