hibs.net Messageboard

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar

New transfer system v old transfer system

I thought the current transfer system was introduced earlier, but seemingly it came in for the 2002/3 season.

I realise that a lot of people won't have experienced the original system, I'm struggling to remember it properly myself, but for those who do, which system do you prefer?

For those who aren't aware, it used to be that clubs could buy and sell players at any point throughout the year.

Most of the time, signings came out of the blue, but bigger clubs could strengthen, and weaken opponents, at will.

Personally, I like the current way of doing things. There's a real air of expectancy during the windows and TDD itself can be very exciting. (It can be bloody disappointing too, right enough!)

I'd think that there are more hits on Hibs.net during January than any other month with people desperate for news.

One more thing. I wonder who was the last player we signed under the old system ...

2. Log in to remove the advert

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee-87
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I thought the current transfer system was introduced earlier, but seemingly it came in for the 2002/3 season.

I realise that a lot of people won't have experienced the original system, I'm struggling to remember it properly myself, but for those who do, which system do you prefer?

For those who aren't aware, it used to be that clubs could buy and sell players at any point throughout the year.

Most of the time, signings came out of the blue, but bigger clubs could strengthen, and weaken opponents, at will.

Personally, I like the current way of doing things. There's a real air of expectancy during the windows and TDD itself can be very exciting. (It can be bloody disappointing too, right enough!)

I'd think that there are more hits on Hibs.net during January than any other month with people desperate for news.

One more thing. I wonder who was the last player we signed under the old system ...
    Not really in response to your question (the old way had its major downsides in regards to teams being able to poach any players that came out the blue and might cause them a problem) but I would like a change to the rules for being 'Cup Tied'.

I believe in Europe the rule has changed slightly in that a player you purchase in Jan can play in Europe still, even if they played for another team in it. I think this should be the same for all competitions. Especially if the player you sign didnt play for the team, but merely made the match day squad and warmed the bench. That rule to me seems mental.

Quite liked the old days especially before the internet and forums. Remember going to Motherwell one midweek and only finding out at the game we had signed Andy Watson

@hibs.net private member

It was up to March 31st only, to prevent players coming in and making a material difference in the latter stages of leagues and cups. That day was usually a bit busier than usual but certainly less frenzied than August and January now.

Would guess it may have been one of Lillian Martin, Gary Caldwell or Jarkko Wiss, all signed by Sauzee in about February of the 01/02 season.

@hibs.net private member eastterrace's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 04Sauzee View Post
    Quite liked the old days especially before the internet and forums. Remember going to Motherwell one midweek and only finding out at the game we had signed Andy Watson
    And he cost us 50,000 which was a lot of money back then ( it’s a lot of money now).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by greenlad View Post
    It was up to March 31st only, to prevent players coming in and making a material difference in the latter stages of leagues and cups. That day was usually a bit busier than usual but certainly less frenzied than August and January now.
    There you go. I don't remember that being the case, but it makes sense.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

@hibs.net private member
    Didn’t Riordan sign a contract under the old system - it meant he couldn’t leave us when he wanted to as his deal ended in October (ish)?

reigning hibs.net poker champion Wembley67's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Happyhibs62
    Old days! Getting all your club info from club call or whatever it was much to your parents rage
    "You opened the box....and your soul belongs to me...."

@hibs.net private member
    Would be good to see a “window” introduced for managers as well

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    The transfer system changed drastically twice.

First there was "Bosman" (1996?) which meant that players at the end of their contracts were free to sign for another club without a transfer fee. While the old system was ludicrous (a club could hold on to a players registration even though they weren't paying him any wages), it could be argued that the likes of Cummings & SJM would have stayed at Hibs at least a year longer or we would have probably received higher fees.

Bosman has had a far bigger effect on the system than the introduction of transfer windows.

One thing I think should be changed is the signing of pre-contract agreements. IMO this should only be permitted when the player's new club plays in a different league.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Danderhall Hibs View Post
    Didn’t Riordan sign a contract under the old system - it meant he couldn’t leave us when he wanted to as his deal ended in October (ish)?
    There was something like that. Also Celtic delayed the start of his contract until after his (23rd?) birthday, meaning that Hibs weren't eligible for compensation. From what I remember a fee was eventually agreed and he signed earlier.

In the old system we had a bumper day one January IIRC with Stuart Beedie ,Graham Mitchell, Billy Kirkwood, Dougie Bell and someone else who I forget all joining. The may even have made their debuts in the NY derby

Quote Originally Posted by Skol View Post
    In the old system we had a bumper day one January IIRC with Stuart Beedie ,Graham Mitchell, Billy Kirkwood, Dougie Bell and someone else who I forget all joining. The may even have made their debuts in the NY derby
    Same season Skol, but not all together.

Beedie, Kirkwood, Caughey, Willie Irvine Mark 2, and Beastie McCluskey arrived at the start of 86-87 season (played in the infamous Souness gemme).

Mitchell, Bell, and Tommy McIntyre were signed Christmas 87 (I think); Miller's first signings, debuted at Brockville if i recall correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by Skol View Post
    I might be wrong but I think Kirkwood, Beedie and Mark Caughey were all signed after the 1986 World Cup and made their debuts in the infamous first game of the season v Rangers where Souness was sent off

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SideBurns View Post

Beedie, Kirkwood, Caughey, Willie Irvine Mark 2, and Beastie McCluskey arrived at the start of 86-87 season (played in the infamous Souness gemme).

Mitchell, Bell, and Tommy McIntyre were signed Christmas 87 (I think); Miller's first signings, debuted at Brockville if i recall correctly.
    I thought it was a new year derby at ER too, but I’ll bow to your knowledge

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    2-2 at Falkirk if I recall correctly ...

yes, I think I am mixing up two different times.

Mark Caughey. OMG !I forgot all about him

I remember the game at Brockville, Billy, as the pitch was rock hard under freezing temperatures and we won 3-1; Bell scored a screamer. The atmosphere under that old shed was superb. Not absolutely certain it was their debuts, but fairly sure!

Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    2-2 at Falkirk if I recall correctly ...
    The NY game v Hearts was 2-2, Falkirk was 3-1. I said December 87, meant 86 of course.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    I remember the game at Brockville, Billy, as the pitch was rock hard under freezing temperatures and we won 3-1; Bell scored a screamer. The atmosphere under that old shed was superb. Not absolutely certain it was their debuts, but fairly sure!
    Ok, better memory than me😄

Ok, better memory than me😄
    That was just before I embarked on a long, committed drinking career. If the gemme had been two years later I widnae huv a scooby 🤣

I think you are correct and I'm sure the pitch was frozen solid and some players played in trainers? I was alot younger then so may have just made this up

Quote Originally Posted by 04Sauzee View Post
    I think you are correct and I'm sure the pitch was frozen solid and some players played in trainers? I was alot younger then so may have just made this up
    The pitch being frozen is definitely my memory; would never go ahead in those conditions nowadays! All 3 were good signings - obviously McIntyre & Mitch went on to become legends for the 91 League Cup win, but Bell was great to watch and linked well with Mickey Weir on the right. Just a pity he was at the wrong end of his career.

Current system is better in my opinion not perfect,but definitely better.

Inconsequential
    Left by mutual consent!
    Just to confirm Alex Miller signed Mitchell, McIntyre and Bell but iirc it was the 31st of December. Blackley had signed Beedie, Kirkwood, Caughey, Irvine and McCluskey in the pre season.

Been around for a long time so remember the old system well. Prefer the current system where we know any outstanding players will be with us until at least the next window after the end of January/August.