hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gunnarson

@hibs.net private member cameronw-hfc's Avatar

Gunnarson

See it looks Niklas Gunnarson is a free agent. Somebody that could play across the back four comfortably and still only 28. Understand the gripe of not bringing players back all the time but for a guy that was only on loan here, we seen what he could do and I remember rating him pretty highly despite not being a stater. he'd be an option I'd consider worthy. Opinions?

Not sure if been mentioned before or this should be posted elsewhere so move if necessary.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Don't know how realistic the prospects are of him coming back but if it was possible would be a yes from me, really rated the guy

No thanks. Mediocre squad player in the championship, we need better.

Quote Originally Posted by Bronson View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No thanks. Mediocre squad player in the championship, we need better.
    Who was he mediocre in the championship with?

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Who was he mediocre in the championship with?
    I'm guessing he's meaning with Hibs.

Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    I'm guessing he's meaning with Hibs.
    Na, I don't think so. That description doesn't fit him at all.

Why not just say you don't agree with the statement then instead of the cryptic messages?

He was decent nothing more. The fact he's just been released from a team who finished 12th in the Norwegian league last year would suggest he's not improved much.

Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    Why not just say you don't agree with the statement then instead of the cryptic messages?

He was decent nothing more. The fact he's just been released from a team who finished 12th in the Norwegian league last year would suggest he's not improved much.
    He was a really solid player. The fact he finished 7th in a good, 16 team league and won the Swedish cup shows he has improved a good amount.

Cant really base his quality on either of those things can you. Neither proves anything without context. A little digging shows he only signed a one year deal after his previous club, Palermo were kicked out of Serie B.

I liked him, good solid player who covered very well during injuries and was making that right sided spot his own.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Good player surprised we did not tie him up at the time

As the OP touched on as a club and as a fan base we need to stop longing for ex players to return they all left for a reason and are all realistically for one reason or another still outwith our reach

We need to look forward to the future build a new successful team and create new memories new legends

Looking forward to Wee Ron’s plans for our future

The futures bright the futures green and white

In Jack Ross we trust

Left by mutual consent! Speedway's Avatar
    Turned us down twice. No ta.

Wouldn't blow me away. I thought he was alright. Coming on as a sub in the cup final probably makes me see him in slightly green tinted specs. If he hadn't featured that day I'd have probably forgotten about him

I trust you didn’t make many games that season then. Or you have selective memory and are blinded by the fact he was in that cup winning squad.

He’s no upgrade on naismith or james, and certainly no upgrade on a fully fit david gray. No thanks.

I trust you didn’t make many games that season then. Or you have selective memory and are blinded by the fact he was in that cup winning squad.

He’s no upgrade on naismith or james, and certainly no upgrade on a fully fit david gray. No thanks.
    Does a fully fit David Gray still exist?

A long term injury kept him out for much of the 17/18 season, played a decent number of games last season and then another injury has kept him out long term this season. Add to that the numerous niggling injuries and his advancing age and a long term replacement is probably required. Naismith is only on loan and I'm assuming you have seen James before he signed for Hibs if you have managed to make any judgement on him at all.

We saw a similar situation 2/3 years back when there was talk of Liam Henderson returning. 'Wouldn't get in our midfield now', 'squad player at best', 'McGinn and McGeouch haven't even gone yet'. Sometimes a bit forward planning goes a long way, just because we don't need a player today doesn't mean we won't need them tomorrow. I'm not saying Gunnarson is the answer but I'd be stunned if Hibs aren't looking at additions across the back line in January and again in the summer.

With a tight budget as it is (going by Hecks comments), a 5th option at right back isnt where i would be spending money....

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.g.../18076162.amp/

Read this a few weeks ago never knew they were in the same team

Quote Originally Posted by cam75 View Post
    https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.g.../18076162.amp/

Read this a few weeks ago never knew they were in the same team
    He’s ‘crazy and wonderful’ REALLY??!!

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post

A long term injury kept him out for much of the 17/18 season, played a decent number of games last season and then another injury has kept him out long term this season. Add to that the numerous niggling injuries and his advancing age and a long term replacement is probably required. Naismith is only on loan and I'm assuming you have seen James before he signed for Hibs if you have managed to make any judgement on him at all.

We saw a similar situation 2/3 years back when there was talk of Liam Henderson returning. 'Wouldn't get in our midfield now', 'squad player at best', 'McGinn and McGeouch haven't even gone yet'. Sometimes a bit forward planning goes a long way, just because we don't need a player today doesn't mean we won't need them tomorrow. I'm not saying Gunnarson is the answer but I'd be stunned if Hibs aren't looking at additions across the back line in January and again in the summer.
    This is what baffles me. We have a recruitment team in place apparently hunting about trying to ensure we forward plan i.e Tommy Block. Yet we have allowed McGregor, Hanlon, Stevenson, Gray & Bartley all age & never brought in suitable replacements before the point where they're legs appear to be going, Stevenson, or injuries are getting the better of them, McGregor & Gray.

This is where the academy should come in but it would appear there is a fundamental flaw in the academy. Is anyone coming through good enough? Bar Porto, nobody stands out as a good prospect.

Willing to bet I made more than you. Although that doesn't make my opinion anymore valid, bizarre dick measuring from you.

Good player I thought. Would be a good option at both right back and centre back. A fully fit David Gray is like a dragon or a unicorn. Doesn't exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post

I agree we need to be looking for long term replacements for not only gray but mcgregor, hanlon and stevenson as well.

The return of niklas gunnarsson, now 28 years old, doesn’t feel like a lomg term replacement and certainly doesn’t feel like any kind of immediate upgrade.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Gunnarsson is very talented both at CB and RB. He can also cover LB if required.

He made a couple of crucial interceptions and tackles in the last ten minutes of the cup final. He has excellent positional awareness and is good in the air.

Would be delighted if we got him to return.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

@hibs.net private member Groathillgrump's Avatar
    He scored this cracker against the huns at 1m 14s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHFjYwYM2YU

Willing to bet I made more than you. Although that doesn't make my opinion anymore valid, bizarre dick measuring from you.

Good player I thought. Would be a good option at both right back and centre back. A fully fit David Gray is like a dragon or a unicorn. Doesn't exist.
    How is Bronson's wee comment anymore "bizarre" than your sarcastic opening response

For what its worth I thought he did okay at us, without getting all the fuss and desire to get him signed-up again. Not someone I'd be overly excited at getting back now. And I'm very confident I wasn't at as many games as either of you

Another player that seems to get better the longer he’s been away.

How many starts did he actually have for us? I remember him coming on from the bench a couple of times.

I always thought he looked pretty solid and potentially a starter if given a chance. Don’t remember him being as amazing as some seem to think

Would be a good squad player. Similar in stature and style to Naismith. Better than james and whittaker. Versatile. I wouldnt be exactly pushing the boat out or forcing the issue but if the chance arose i wouldnt say no. I think people are harsh on Gray with his last injury. It wasnt a repeat of a previous one and rather scott allan accidentally slide tackling him and wiping him out. Just sheer bad luck in that one imo.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post
    Another player that seems to get better the longer he’s been away.

How many starts did he actually have for us? I remember him coming on from the bench a couple of times.

I always thought he looked pretty solid and potentially a starter if given a chance. Don’t remember him being as amazing as some seem to think
    He was also a massive part of why we came back to draw the 2-2 game at Tynecastle. Pushed very high up the pitch and got back for defensive duties well. The 3-2 game against Rangers at Easter Road (the final one before the more famous 3-2 game) he was excellent as well.

He'd be a great shout for the under-rated XI of the decade as our back four were at their absolute peak of their collective careers at that point.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    He was also a massive part of why we came back to draw the 2-2 game at Tynecastle. Pushed very high up the pitch and got back for defensive duties well. The 3-2 game against Rangers at Easter Road (the final one before the more famous 3-2 game) he was excellent as well.

He'd be a great shout for the under-rated XI of the decade as our back four were at their absolute peak of their collective careers at that point.
    I don’t disagree that he was a good player, I remember thinking he was worth a shot of starting and was excited by him.

I don’t think he was underrated however though as a lot of fans seem to think very very highly of him imo

@hibs.net private member
    Sorry, but if all we can do is look backwards and sign past players then lets bin our whole scouting network as it’s not worth a bolt.

McGeough
    McNulty
    Omeonga
    Gunnarsson
    Ambrose

And probably more mentioned.

Sparky is the only one I’d take back in a heartbeat - referring go the Griffiths variety, not McNulty!

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by BouncerRoss View Post
    Sorry, but if all we can do is look backwards and sign past players then lets bin our whole scouting network as it’s not worth a bolt.

McGeough
    McNulty
    Omeonga
    Gunnarsson
    Ambrose

Sparky is the only one I’d take back in a heartbeat - referring go the Griffiths variety, not McNulty!
    I don’t think it’s all we do is it??

In any case, they’ve been identified previously as being a good fit for the club. If they are available and continue to be seen as good fits then I don’t see any issue with that. Would be a bit odd to dismiss players on the basis they are otherwise what we need but they’ve played for us before so forget it.

It’s not looking back. It’s looking at whether they could do a job now and in the future. There’s lots of players who have played for us and might be available I’m sure we’ve no interest in whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by BouncerRoss View Post

McGeough
    McNulty
    Omeonga
    Gunnarsson
    Ambrose

I get what you’re saying however, the players mentioned would all be in the squad if not the starting 11 imo and would strengthen us massively

I was waiting for this thread to appear along with the effe mcgeouch and leigh back on loan thread
    I liked gunnarson and thought at the time we should have tried to keep him but I'm hoping our scouting department are looking for better and casting the net wider and not just looking every player who has left us in the last three years who are out of contract or out of favour

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk