hibs.net Messageboard

Petrie or Dempster?

Lots of Celtic fans frothing at the mouth over NL targeting a loan deal for Morgan. The majority of them are going on and on about Rod Petrie and the McGinn incident. Out of curiosity, do we know if handing over of his "Executive" duties means he is no longer involved in transfer dealings? From the Kamberi signing it would appear primarily Dempster and Craig that handle these things...

2. Log in to remove the advert

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy JR View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Lots of Celtic fans frothing at the mouth over NL targeting a loan deal for Morgan. The majority of them are going on and on about Rod Petrie and the McGinn incident. Out of curiosity, do we know if handing over of his "Executive" duties means he is no longer involved in transfer dealings? From the Kamberi signing it would appear primarily Dempster and Craig that handle these things...
    I think you'll find that people in this forum don't have particularly strong views either way on this one.

Seems you've managed to answer your own question. Not really sure why we should be worrying too much about what Celtic fans are moaning about tbf.

Their standard penny pinching cost them McGinn.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    I reckon that, regardless of the formal responsibilities, this particular deal would have been discussed by Lawwell and Petrie. It seems to be personal between those two.

I’m fine with that. Rod has his drawbacks, but one of his known strengths is a refusal to lose our players on the cheap.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Hibs accepted Celtic's bid when it matched our valuation, hard to see why they think they were hard done by here.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Coaching Staff The Green Goblin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Diclonius View Post
    I think you'll find that people in this forum don't have particularly strong views either way on this one.

@hibs.net private member Oscar T Grouch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    Hibs accepted Celtic's bid when it matched our valuation, hard to see why they think they were hard done by here.
    It was left up to McGInn to decide where he went and he chose Villa.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Blog Entries
    At the time, a lot of Celtic fans were accusing Lawwell of penny pinching over McGinn and he took a bit of a hammering from some. Water under the bridge and the clear ( but certainly not terminal by any means ) decline in their fortunes seems to have clouded the issue and probably the majority are now anti Hibs.

All deals must be signed of by the board, Leeann will negotiate and take it to the board to get the go ahead, so yes Petrie still involved.

Asto Villa showed from the off they wanted McGinn, Celtic didn't with their derisory offers, a case of being greedy and missing the boat.

Petrie's role is signing stuff off.
    He has no influence over transfers the activity of is done by Leeann Dempster, George Craig and Neil Lennon.

Celtc fans spew a load of tripe about Petrie. Hibs had a set value over McGinn we would not budge over.
    The soapdodgers low balled us 3 times and were rejected.
    Villa made a bid that met the valuation and whisked John down to Birmingham along with his parents.
    Celtc's final bid was accepted when John was being taken round the Villa Training Centre and then out to dinner by Steve Bruce.
    Vila offered 24k a week, Celtc 12k.

Game over.

@hibs.net private member greenginger's Avatar

Can’t see how Celtic we’re matching Villa’s bid , if we are due a bung if Villa get promotion.

They tried to get McGinn on the cheap and it backfired.

Their fans need to admit that and move on.

Quote Originally Posted by Keekaboo View Post
    They tried to get McGinn on the cheap and it backfired.

Their fans need to admit that and move on.

They won’t admit that so best thing for Scott Allan is to sign a pre contract agreement and get things moving.

Obviously two-faced Brendan getting in on the act today, talking Allan up. But he has given him barely a sniff of the first team. There is no way Celtc will offer him a new contract.

With Villa fans raving about SJM and how they have stolen
    John with the fee paid just tells you how far off the mark Celtic were with their penny pinching offer

According to Celtc fans (online at any rate) Petrie is aligned with the Huns because he was one of the "movers and shakers" behind trying to shoehorn Sevco into the league when the old Rangers died. The fact that Hibs came out in favour of "moving on" only added to his popularity.

I guess there is some truth in their paranoia: 5 way agreements and so on ... but they choose to ignore that Lawwell and Celtc were just as up to their necks in keeping the "Big Hoose" open with new occupants.

@hibs.net private member
    When we’re doing well and it’s something we like it’s LD, when results are not so good and it’s something we don’t like it’s RP.

So at the time of the SJM saga it was the former and all down to LD.
    Last edited by Danderhall Hibs; 08-01-2019 at 05:12 PM.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Danderhall Hibs View Post
    When we’re doung well and it’s something we like it’s LD, when results are not so good and it’s somethibg we don’t like it’s RP.

So at the time of the SJM saga it was the former and all down to LD.

Good point.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    Asto Villa showed from the off they wanted McGinn, Celtic didn't with their derisory offers, a case of being greedy and missing the boat.
    That's why McGinn picked villa.

Quote Originally Posted by hibs#1 View Post
    That's why McGinn picked villa.
    I spoke with John not long prior to him moving and he told me he didn't know where he was going and ruled out nothing but the thing that stuck out was his determination to compete against the best in England, hence why I think he chose Villa as it was a stepping stone towards the Premier League down there.

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Don't worry, it's what celtc fans do, frothing and spelling.

We don't know what Rod gets up to so neither will they. They have bigger things to worry about do the lesser green's.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

Testimonial Due The Harp Awakes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post
    According to Celtc fans (online at any rate) Petrie is aligned with the Huns because he was one of the "movers and shakers" behind trying to shoehorn Sevco into the league when the old Rangers died. The fact that Hibs came out in favour of "moving on" only added to his popularity.

I guess there is some truth in their paranoia: 5 way agreements and so on ... but they choose to ignore that Lawwell and Celtc were just as up to their necks in keeping the "Big Hoose" open with new occupants.
    The SFA Board at the time, which included Petrie, were dead set against Sevco being 'relegated' to Scottish L2; they wanted them put down one division to the Championship. I was told that by an SFA Board member at the time (not Rod incidentally). The more recent preference expressed by the Hibs Board to 'move on' and come out against an independent inquiry of how the authorities acted over Oldco/Sevco and the EBT scandal, also points the finger at Rod, but I was at a Hibs supporter's meeting where LD also spoke out strongly about 'moving on'. So Rod wasn't alone in that respect.

You therefore can see how Celtic fans interpret the above as Petrie being aligned to the Huns. I suspect he was more acting in the interests of Hibs (financially) and also himself and the SFA Board who may have been found out by an independent inquiry in terms of how they acted.
    Last edited by The Harp Awakes; 08-01-2019 at 05:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Harp Awakes View Post
    The SFA Board at the time, which included Petrie, were dead set against Sevco being 'relegated' to Scottish L2; they wanted them put down one division to the Championship. I was told that by an SFA Board member at the time (not Rod incidentally). The more recent preference expressed by the Hibs Board to 'move on' and come out against an independent inquiry of how the authorities acted over Oldco/Sevco and the EBT scandal, also points the finger at Rod, but I was at a Hibs supporter's meeting where LD also spoke out strongly about 'moving on'. So Rod wasn't alone in that respect.

You therefore can see how Celtic fans interpret the above as Petrie being aligned to the Huns. I suspect he was more acting in the interests of Hibs (financially) and also himself and the SFA Board who may have been found out by an independent inquiry in terms of how they acted.
    Agree with all that but Lawwell and the Celtc board would have been kept well in the loop throughout the process. In fact, istr Lawwell accompanied Doncaster on missions to try and keep Sky on board even though there would be no more OF games.

The Celtc fans are deluding themselves that every other club acted in financial self interest but theirs.

Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post

Celtc have signed joint sponsorship deals with Rangers. Celtc and Rangers have acted together in the past to promote their interests over the rest of Scottish football.

Celtc were cute enough not to be seen to be sticking up for Sevco in public, because they knew it would enrage their supporters.

But they have colluded with Rangers many times in the past and no doubt will do so again (perhaps not with King in charge). Take no lectures from them.