hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Jamesie's Avatar

v Rangers - Saturday 9 March: Moved for TV?

Looking at the round of fixtures for the weekend of 9/10 March there must be a good chance that the game against Rangers is moved to the Sunday for TV purposes. Granted, if Celtic were to make the last 16 of the Europa League their first leg would be on Thu 7 March and they'd be moved to the Sunday - but as a home Old Firm match that wouldn't normally be televised anyway.

Celtic v Aberdeen
    Dundee v Heart of Midlothian
    Hibernian v Rangers
    Livingston v St. Johnstone
    Motherwell v Hamilton Academical
    St. Mirren v Kilmarnock

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    Bound to be - Scotland at home to Wales (I think) in the 6 nations on the Saturday afternoon as well.

@hibs.net private member Jamesie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Danderhall Hibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Bound to be - Scotland at home to Wales (I think) in the 6 nations on the Saturday afternoon as well.
    Absolutely!

@hibs.net private member Leith Green's Avatar
    The Scottish live football schedule literally just reads as whichever team is at home to the old firm. Its an absolute disgrace

@hibs.net private member Bristolhibby's Avatar
    When do the next bank of fixture changes get announced?

J

Quote Originally Posted by Leith Green View Post
    The Scottish live football schedule literally just reads as whichever team is at home to the old firm. Its an absolute disgrace
    Is it? TV companies need people to watch what they broadcast and those 2 boils on the arse of the earth so, sadly, have by far the largest fan bases in Scotland. If we were to insist on St Johnstone vs Killie etc being shown on telly then the joke of a TV deal would become even more of a nonsense.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by lyonhibs View Post
    Is it? TV companies need people to watch what they broadcast and those 2 boils on the arse of the earth so, sadly, have by far the largest fan bases in Scotland. If we were to insist on St Johnstone vs Killie etc being shown on telly then the joke of a TV deal would become even more of a nonsense.
    There was viewing figures posted on twitter yesterday by a guy from the BBC for the 2 derbies last month and the numbers were pretty poor. They were disputed by the boy from BT but he didn’t say what the actual numbers were.

That’s for our 2 biggest games - imagine what Hamilton v Livi would pull in?

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    There was viewing figures posted on twitter yesterday by a guy from the BBC for the 2 derbies last month and the numbers were pretty poor. They were disputed by the boy from BT but he didn’t say what the actual numbers were.

That’s for our 2 biggest games - imagine what Hamilton v Livi would pull in?
    The numbers were brutal, when I worked at Sky we had a comms where one of the SPL games that they showed (I think it was still branded as the SPL back then) had 30k viewers.

That's why they don't chuck the huge money at it.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

What were the figures?

First Team Regular

The gist of Leithgreen's post highlights the fact that the Bigot twins televised matches are their away games. Meaning that supporters of the other ten clubs are inconvenienced more often than them. He doesn't mention fan bases.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by killie-hibby View Post
    The gist of Leithgreen's post highlights the fact that the Bigot twins televised matches are their away games. Meaning that supporters of the other ten clubs are inconvenienced more often than them. He doesn't mention fan bases.
    I thought we all had the same amount of home game on TV?

Inconvenienced how? Kick off times? But the OF fans in attendance are similarly inconvenienced no?
    So OF away fans are in fact the most inconvenienced?

I'm not getting it to be honest. It's commercial logic that most televised games are the OF are away from home.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Not In The Know View Post
    What were the figures?
    SPFL Derby Day TV Ratings:

Hibs-Hearts: 63k
    Rangers-Celtic: 177k

Pretty sure even the "top" EPL games only get 300-400k viewing.

It's all about the foreign rights/advertising, sadly.

Left by mutual consent!
    They aren’t really. Looking at it logically then every old firm supporter has to travel early on a Sunday to places like Aberdeen and Inverness every away game.

Far more of an inconvenience for them than us having to play at home a couple of Sunday’s.

I read something saying that was inaccurate.

I'm sure we'd have had a few more if arsenal v Liverpool hadn't been on at the same time.

First Team Regular
    Inconvenienced how? Kick off times? But the OF fans in attendance are similarly inconvenienced no?

I'm not getting it to be honest. It's commercial logic that most televised games are the OF are away from home.
    The most inconvenienced are season ticket holders. Maybe I am in the minority,as at time of purchase of my ST, I expect most games at ER to KO at 3pm on a Saturday. I am well aware this does not happen. I get bloody well annoyed having to leave Kilmarnock at 9am for a 1200 or 1230 KO usually for games at ER against the Bigots.
    The Bigots seem to have more home games at traditional times than the other 10 clubs, therefore their season ticket holders are not inconvenienced. Whether or not they attend away matches is their choice. Can you explain why it is commercial logic for most of the Bigots away games be televised.

First Team Regular

The most inconvenienced are season ticket holders. Maybe I am in the minority,as at time of purchase of my ST, I expect most games at ER to KO at 3pm on a Saturday. I am well aware this does not happen. I get bloody well annoyed having to leave Kilmarnock at 9am for a 1200 or 1230 KO usually for games at ER against the Bigots.
    The Bigots seem to have more home games at traditional times than the other 10 clubs, therefore their season ticket holders are not inconvenienced. Whether or not they attend away matches is their choice. Can you explain why it is commercial logic for most of the Bigots away games be televised.

recently Celtic v hibs and Celtic v hearts when both games were 1st v 2nd were played at 3pm with no live TV,we then had to watch Hamilton v The rangers on the Sunday that is ridiculous. The biggest games should be televised

Because the OF have the biggest fan bases, tv companies want the highest possible viewing figures and Bigot Brothers away games are necessarily when the highest % of their fans won't be at the game and thus will be sat in front of the telly.
    Not saying I like it, but there it is.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gmack7 View Post
    recently Celtic v hibs and Celtic v hearts when both games were 1st v 2nd were played at 3pm with no live TV,we then had to watch Hamilton v The rangers on the Sunday that is ridiculous. The biggest games should be televised
    They can only show a certain amount of home games per club
    Think it could be around 6 each max

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    They can only show a certain amount of home games per club
    Think it could be around 6 each max
    i realise that,for me thats one of the problems,hibs,hearts,Aberdeen, and kilmarnock at ibrox and parkhead should be on Tv.people want to watch the bigger games but we're not showing them all,I'd be interested to know if the EPL has the same restrictions

First Team Regular
    Because the OF have the biggest fan bases, tv companies want the highest possible viewing figures and Bigot Brothers away games are necessarily when the highest % of their fans won't be at the game and thus will be sat in front of the telly.
    Not saying I like it, but there it is.
    Cant disagree with your explanation. Further proof that we, who attend games, are further down the pecking order, than those who sit at home on their big fat backsides watching SKY/BT sports.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by 3pm View Post
    I read something saying that was inaccurate.
    So did I - I mentioned it in my original post but haven’t seen the updated/correct figure.
    Last edited by Danderhall Hibs; 08-01-2019 at 08:28 PM.

900 Hibs fans at Ibrox and 1200 at Parkhead yet we rarely get these games televised. Both Glasgow teams get more tickets at ER yet we have to rearrange our lives for their fans convenience. Don't see how that's acceptable.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesie View Post
    Looking at the round of fixtures for the weekend of 9/10 March there must be a good chance that the game against Rangers is moved to the Sunday for TV purposes. Granted, if Celtic were to make the last 16 of the Europa League their first leg would be on Thu 7 March and they'd be moved to the Sunday - but as a home Old Firm match that wouldn't normally be televised anyway.

Celtic v Aberdeen
    Dundee v Heart of Midlothian
    Hibernian v Rangers
    Livingston v St. Johnstone
    Motherwell v Hamilton Academical
    St. Mirren v Kilmarnock
    Hopefully a fun Fri night fixture, unlikely, but if it ends up Sun that will be another home game I'm missing.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gmack7 View Post
    i realise that,for me thats one of the problems,hibs,hearts,Aberdeen, and kilmarnock at ibrox and parkhead should be on Tv.people want to watch the bigger games but we're not showing them all,I'd be interested to know if the EPL has the same restrictions
    Totally agree just suits the narrative non of teams are making up the numbers. As you say they get pretty much all their home games at 3 on a Saturday which will be mostly full as not on tv while all other teams will likely have reduced attendance at home to either cheek because of tv and time of game.

Quite simple really... A standard game, SPL team home to one of the OF probably attracts what, 120,000 viewers? Have that game at Ibrox and Parkhead and you could take 30-40000 viewers away.

Personally i'm happy our games in Glasgow aren't on the tele. For those that go what's better, 3pm on a Saturday or 12pm on a Sunday? No brainer.

Testimonial Due
    Are there tickets left for this game. Website saying none available.